* building and testing GCC, extremely slow in NTFS, fast in FAT32
@ 2011-06-08  8:17 Chiheng Xu
From: Chiheng Xu @ 2011-06-08  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Recently, in my XP SP3 machine, building and testing GCC in NTFS are
extremely slow. The just built cc1.exe seems to have some attributes
or security setting  set to wrong values, preventing it from running
efficiently.

The problem will disappear if I build and test it in a FAT32 file system.

I need some help to identify this problem.

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 garfield1 1.7.9(0.237/5/3) 2011-03-29 10:10 i686 Cygwin

--
Chiheng Xu

* Re: building and testing GCC, extremely slow in NTFS, fast in FAT32
@ 2011-06-08 10:51 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2011-06-08 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chiheng Xu, cygwin

Greetings, Chiheng Xu!

> Recently, in my XP SP3 machine, building and testing GCC in NTFS are
> extremely slow. The just built cc1.exe seems to have some attributes
> or security setting  set to wrong values, preventing it from running
> efficiently.

> The problem will disappear if I build and test it in a FAT32 file system.

> I need some help to identify this problem.

> $ uname -a
> CYGWIN_NT-5.1 garfield1 1.7.9(0.237/5/3) 2011-03-29 10:10 i686 Cygwin

mount
?

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: building and testing GCC, extremely slow in NTFS, fast in FAT32
@ 2011-06-08 11:42   ` Chiheng Xu
From: Chiheng Xu @ 2011-06-08 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@freemail.ru> wrote:

> mount
> ?

Not relevant to mount. This problem is stick to NTFS.

If I copy the just built cc1.exe/cc1plus.exe to any other place in the
file system, even overwrite the original one,  it can run efficiently.

--

@ 2011-06-09 10:21     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2011-06-09 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chiheng Xu, cygwin

Greetings, Chiheng Xu!

>> mount
>> ?

> Not relevant to mount. This problem is stick to NTFS.

Oh, have you tried? I mean, noacl option.