* please add bear package
@ 2020-09-16  3:27 anlex N
From: anlex N @ 2020-09-16  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Bear is a tool that generates a compilation database for clang tooling.

* Re: please add bear package
@ 2020-09-16  5:34 ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2020-09-16  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 16.09.2020 um 05:27 schrieb anlex N via Cygwin:
> Bear is a tool that generates a compilation database for clang tooling.
You cannot expect anyone to go on bear hunt and make a package for you.
On the cygwin.com page you find information about how to propose and
build packages.

* Re: please add bear package
@ 2020-09-16 14:35   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-09-16 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-09-15 23:34, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 16.09.2020 um 05:27 schrieb anlex N via Cygwin:
>> Bear is a tool that generates a compilation database for clang tooling.
> You cannot expect anyone to go on bear hunt and make a package for you.
> On the cygwin.com page you find information about how to propose and build
> packages.

"Bear currently only works on Unix-based systems (FreeBSD, GNU/Linux and macOS),
since it’s heavily relying on the LD_PRELOAD mechanism on *BSD/Linux and its
macOS counterpart to intercept the system calls."

* Re: please add bear package
@ 2020-09-16 14:42     ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2020-09-16 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/16/2020 10:35 AM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2020-09-15 23:34, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Am 16.09.2020 um 05:27 schrieb anlex N via Cygwin:
>>> Bear is a tool that generates a compilation database for clang tooling.
>> You cannot expect anyone to go on bear hunt and make a package for you.
>> On the cygwin.com page you find information about how to propose and build
>> packages.
>
> "Bear currently only works on Unix-based systems (FreeBSD, GNU/Linux and macOS),
> since it’s heavily relying on the LD_PRELOAD mechanism on *BSD/Linux and its
> macOS counterpart to intercept the system calls."

Some old posts suggest that LD_PRELOAD works for overloading functions that
Cygwin provides.  I can't swear to it myself :-) ...

Regards - Eliot Moss

* Re: please add bear package
@ 2020-09-16 15:50       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-09-16 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-09-16 08:42, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 9/16/2020 10:35 AM, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>> You cannot expect anyone to go on bear hunt and make a package for you.
>>> On the cygwin.com page you find information about how to propose and build
>>> packages.
>>
>> "Bear currently only works on Unix-based systems (FreeBSD, GNU/Linux and macOS),
>> since it’s heavily relying on the LD_PRELOAD mechanism on *BSD/Linux and its
>> macOS counterpart to intercept the system calls."
>
> Some old posts suggest that LD_PRELOAD works for overloading functions that
> Cygwin provides.  I can't swear to it myself :-) ...

There's functionality there but no docs to say what's possible:

- does dlsym(RTLD_DEFAULT,name) return the original entry point,
  as (unsupported) RTLD_NEXT would on other systems?
- can they hook core Cygwin, newlib, library package dynamic,
  static entry points?
- can it decide whether to call original, change return code?

Would probably be an R&D exercise, not just a straight port.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]