* Re: Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-21 21:28 Jaakov Jaakov
From: Jaakov Jaakov @ 2016-02-21 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin; +Cc: moss

> Why not do:

> xterm ... &

> /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc

> ?

Where do you suggest to do it?

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-21 23:21 ` Eliot Moss
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Eliot Moss @ 2016-02-21 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaakov Jaakov, Cygwin

On 2/21/2016 4:28 PM, Jaakov Jaakov wrote:

>> Why not do:
>
>> xterm ... &
>
>> /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc

Do this in your personal .startxwinrc file ...

EM

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-22  1:59   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-02-22  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/21/2016 6:21 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 2/21/2016 4:28 PM, Jaakov Jaakov wrote:
>>
>>> Why not do:
>>
>>> xterm ... &
>>
>>> /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc
>
> Do this in your personal .startxwinrc file ...

Won't this lead to an infinite recursion?  (See
https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-02/msg00325.html)

Ken

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-22  2:43     ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2016-02-22  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/21/2016 8:59 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

>> Do this in your personal .startxwinrc file ...
>
> Won't this lead to an infinite recursion?  (See https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-02/msg00325.html)

Ah, perhaps.  There may be ways to catch that, but it may be easier for the
OP to copy the startxwinrc file's contents.  Not the best for responding to
future changes ...

EM

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-22 20:47   ` Jaakov
From: Jaakov @ 2016-02-22 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Ah, perhaps.  There may be ways to catch that, but it may be easier for the
> OP to copy the startxwinrc file's contents.  Not the best for responding to
> future changes ...

One way to prevent recursion is

if [[ "$FILEINCLUDED" != "1" ]];
then
   export FILEINCLUDED=1
   ...  # do real job here
fi

However, placing this either into the systemwide startxwinrc or into the
local .startxwinrc would not do anything useful.

The right thing to do would be to append a call to
$HOME/.startxwinrc_final (this name is freshly invented, feel free to
change) at the end of the systemwide startxwinrc. An alternative would
be to call $HOME/.startxwinrc_final from the same place from where the
systemwide startxwinrc is called; namely right after it.

Anyone feeling of doing this?

Thanks!

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-22 20:55   ` Jaakov
From: Jaakov @ 2016-02-22 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

And yet a third alternative would be to automatically install a default
$HOME/.startxwinrc during updates.

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-22 21:51     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-02-22 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/22/2016 3:46 PM, Jaakov wrote:
>> Ah, perhaps.  There may be ways to catch that, but it may be easier
>> for the
>> OP to copy the startxwinrc file's contents.  Not the best for
>> responding to
>> future changes ...
>
> One way to prevent recursion is
>
> if [[ "$FILEINCLUDED" != "1" ]];
> then
>    export FILEINCLUDED=1
>    ...  # do real job here
> fi
>
> However, placing this either into the systemwide startxwinrc or into the
> local .startxwinrc would not do anything useful.
>
> The right thing to do would be to append a call to
> $HOME/.startxwinrc_final (this name is freshly invented, feel free to
> change) at the end of the systemwide startxwinrc. An alternative would
> be to call $HOME/.startxwinrc_final from the same place from where the
> systemwide startxwinrc is called; namely right after it.
>
> Anyone feeling of doing this?

There's no need for this complexity.  If you don't like what the system
startxwinrc does, just copy it to ~/.startxwinrc and modify it to suit
your purposes.

Ken

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-22 21:52     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-02-22 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/22/2016 3:55 PM, Jaakov wrote:
> And yet a third alternative would be to automatically install a default
> $HOME/.startxwinrc during updates.

That would completely defeat the purpose of ~/.startxwinrc, which is to
allow the user to override the system startxwinrc.

Ken

* Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-22 22:19       ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-02-22 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/22/2016 4:51 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> There's no need for this complexity.  If you don't like what the system
> startxwinrc does, just copy it to ~/.startxwinrc and modify it to suit
> your purposes.

For example, something like the attached .startxwinrc might do what you
want.

Ken

[-- Attachment #2: .startxwinrc --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2999 bytes --]

#!/bin/sh
# Copyright (C) 1999 - 2005, 2014 Red Hat, Inc. All rights reserved. This
# copyrighted material is made available to anyone wishing to use, modify,
# copy, or redistribute it subject to the terms and conditions of the
# GNU General Public License version 2.
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
#
# Authors:
#	Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowi@redhat.com>

# redirect errors to a file in user's home directory if we can
if [ -z "$GDMSESSION" ]; then
    # GDM redirect output itself in a smarter fashion
    errfile="$HOME/.xsession-errors"
    if ( umask 077 && cp /dev/null "$errfile" 2> /dev/null ); then
        chmod 600 "$errfile"
        [ -x /sbin/restorecon ] && /sbin/restorecon $errfile
        exec > "$errfile" 2>&1
    else
        errfile=$(mktemp -q /tmp/xses-$USER.XXXXXX)
        if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
            exec > "$errfile" 2>&1
        fi
    fi
fi

# Mandatorily source xinitrc-common, which is common code shared between the
# Xsession and xinitrc scripts which has been factored out to avoid duplication
. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common

export QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE="gtk"
export XDG_MENU_PREFIX="xwin-"
export XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP="X-Cygwin"
# default settings
[ -x /usr/bin/xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update ] && /usr/bin/xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update
[ -x /usr/bin/gsettings-data-convert ] && /usr/bin/gsettings-data-convert

if [ -x /usr/bin/trayer ] ; then
    /usr/bin/trayer --edge top --align left --widthtype request &
    TRAY=1
fi

if [ -x /usr/libexec/notification-daemon -a -n "$TRAY" ] ; then
    /usr/libexec/notification-daemon &
elif [ -x /usr/libexec/mate-notification-daemon ] ; then
    /usr/libexec/mate-notification-daemon &
elif [ -x /usr/lib/xfce4/notifyd/xfce4-notifyd ] ; then
    /usr/lib/xfce4/notifyd/xfce4-notifyd &
elif [ -x /usr/bin/lxqt-notificationd ] ; then
    /usr/bin/lxqt-notificationd &
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11 ] ; then
    /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11
    if [ -x /usr/bin/pasystray -a -n "$TRAY" ] ; then
	/usr/bin/pasystray &
    elif [ -x /usr/bin/mate-volume-control-applet -a -n "$TRAY" ] ; then
	/usr/bin/mate-volume-control-applet &
    fi
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon ] ; then
    eval `/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start`
    export GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL GPG_AGENT_INFO SSH_AUTH_SOCK
fi

[ -x /usr/bin/krb5-auth-dialog -a -n "$TRAY" ] && /usr/bin/krb5-auth-dialog &

if [ -x /usr/libexec/evolution/3.12/evolution-alarm-notify ] ; then
    /usr/libexec/evolution/3.12/evolution-alarm-notify &
elif [ -x /usr/libexec/evolution/3.10/evolution-alarm-notify ] ; then
    /usr/libexec/evolution/3.10/evolution-alarm-notify &
fi

[ -x /usr/bin/seahorse-sharing ] && /usr/bin/seahorse-sharing &
[ -x /usr/bin/zeitgeist-datahub ] && /usr/bin/zeitgeist-datahub &
[ -x /usr/bin/fbxkb ] && /usr/bin/fbxkb &
/usr/bin/uxterm -ls &
exec /usr/bin/xwin-xdg-menu

* RE: Re: XWin won't run xterm on start
@ 2016-02-21 19:16 ` Jaakov Jaakov
From: Jaakov Jaakov @ 2016-02-21 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Atzeri; +Cc: Cygwin

> > Dear Marco:
> >
> > So, are you saying that not starting xterm is by design?
>
> yes

Well, then, apparently, the design changed several months ago.

> >> http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man1/startxwin.1.html
> >
> > The manpage above is a bit outdated; creating a .startxwinrc with
> >
> > xrdb -load $HOME/.Xresources
> > xbiff -geometry -430+5 &
> > oclock -geometry 75x75-0-0 &
> > xload -geometry -80-0 &
> > xterm -geometry +0+60 -ls &
> > xterm -geometry +0-100 &
> > xconsole -geometry -0+0 -fn 5x7 &
> > exec fbpanel -profile multiwindow
> >
> > and running startxwin from the text console results in
> >
> > ---
>
> It is an example....
>
> try just
>
> xterm -geometry +0+60 -ls &
> xterm -geometry +0-100 &
> exec    xclock
>
> killing xclock will shutdown the X server.
> You can use any other program for that.

Thank you, I see. I cannot use xclock - we have one clock in Windows(TM) already, but I'll choose something.
Is there any way to do whatever the current version of
/etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc
does (xwin-xdg-menu, gnome-keyring-daemon, and lots of other goodies which I sometimes need) and, in addition (as opposed to "instead"), run uxterm?