* Cygwin man does not recognise PerlRE ?
@ 2015-10-16 16:35 Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-10-16 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: All

Greetings, All!

It was bugging me for quite some time now. I don't like POSIX RE - they are
cumbersome and unwieldy.
Is there a possibility to build man for Cygwin with PerlRE support?

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Cygwin man does not recognise PerlRE ?
@ 2015-10-16 18:17 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-10-16 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 2015-10-16 at 19:33 +0300, Andrey Repin wrote:
> It was bugging me for quite some time now. I don't like POSIX RE - they are
> cumbersome and unwieldy.
> Is there a possibility to build man for Cygwin with PerlRE support?

Presumably that would come via PCRE, which man-db does not currently
support.  Perhaps PTC upstream.

--
Yaakov

* Re: Cygwin man does not recognise PerlRE ?
@ 2015-10-16 20:19   ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2015-10-16 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 16, 2015, at 12:18 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

> On Fri, 2015-10-16 at 19:33 +0300, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Is there a possibility to build man for Cygwin with PerlRE support?
>
> Presumably that would come via PCRE, which man-db does not currently
> support.  Perhaps PTC upstream.

If there were such a mode, would it be allowed to enable it, since that would effectively put libpcre into Base?

* Re: Cygwin man does not recognise PerlRE ?
@ 2015-10-16 20:26 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2015-10-16 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Oct 16, 2015, at 10:33 AM, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru> wrote:

> Is there a possibility to build man for Cygwin with PerlRE support?

I’m curious: what sort of incantations do you frequently give to man which involve REs?

Maybe I’m just too old-school, but I wasn’t aware that modern man programs even supported REs.  Back when I was a boy, we said “man -k whatsit” and we liked it! :)

I think if I wanted to grep man pages with Perl syntax, I’d say

   grep -PRsl whatsit /usr/share/man

Poking around on machines near me, I see Lucifredi’s version of man — which doesn’t seem to support regexes — on OS X 10.10, FreeBSD 10.1, and CentOS 5.  Apparently RHEL moved to man-db in EL6 or EL7, since it’s on an EL7 box nearby.

* Re: Cygwin man does not recognise PerlRE ?
@ 2015-10-16 20:40     ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-10-16 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 2015-10-16 at 14:19 -0600, Warren Young wrote:
> On Oct 16, 2015, at 12:18 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2015-10-16 at 19:33 +0300, Andrey Repin wrote:
> >> Is there a possibility to build man for Cygwin with PerlRE support?
> >
> > Presumably that would come via PCRE, which man-db does not currently
> > support.  Perhaps PTC upstream.
>
> If there were such a mode, would it be allowed to enable it, since that
> would effectively put libpcre into Base?

grep already requires libpcre1.

--
Yaakov

* Re: Cygwin man does not recognise PerlRE ?
@ 2015-10-17  0:20   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-10-17  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaakov Selkowitz, cygwin

Greetings, Yaakov Selkowitz!

>> It was bugging me for quite some time now. I don't like POSIX RE - they are
>> cumbersome and unwieldy.
>> Is there a possibility to build man for Cygwin with PerlRE support?

> Presumably that would come via PCRE, which man-db does not currently
> support.  Perhaps PTC upstream.

All my Linux boxes recognize PerlRE in man. >.<
Given, they are all Debian based... And most of them are Ubuntu. I don't know
how it is widespread.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

@ 2015-10-17  0:35   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-10-17  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Young, cygwin

Greetings, Warren Young!

> On Oct 16, 2015, at 10:33 AM, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a possibility to build man for Cygwin with PerlRE support?

> I’m curious: what sort of incantations do you frequently give to man which involve REs?

Typical ones. F.e.

^\s+<verse>\b

to quickly find term references.

> Maybe I’m just too old-school, but I wasn’t aware that modern man programs
> even supported REs.  Back when I was a boy, we said “man -k whatsit” and we liked it! :)

> I think if I wanted to grep man pages with Perl syntax, I’d say

>    grep -PRsl whatsit /usr/share/man

> Poking around on machines near me, I see Lucifredi’s version of man — which
> doesn’t seem to support regexes — on OS X 10.10, FreeBSD 10.1, and CentOS 5.
> Apparently RHEL moved to man-db in EL6 or EL7, since it’s on an EL7 box nearby.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin
Saturday, October 17, 2015 03:18:02

From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-10-17  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Young, cygwin

Greetings, Warren Young!

>>> If there were such a mode, would it be allowed to enable it, since that would effectively put libpcre into Base?
>>
>> Maybe someone can rebuild less(1) to build with PCRE, and then you can set MANPAGER=less.

> I don’t think Andrey means PCRE when searching the man page he is reading
> right now.

But I did mean exactly that.
Sorry, probably I should have been clearer. And, well, think my question more
thoroughly.
It seems like Mike's right, and the actual culprit is "less", rather than man.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

@ 2015-10-16 20:41 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2015-10-16 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 16, 2015, at 2:29 PM, Mike Cappella wrote:

>>> Presumably that would come via PCRE, which man-db does not currently
>>> support.  Perhaps PTC upstream.
>>
>> If there were such a mode, would it be allowed to enable it, since that would effectively put libpcre into Base?
>
> Maybe someone can rebuild less(1) to build with PCRE, and then you can set MANPAGER=less.

I don’t think Andrey means PCRE when searching the man page he is reading right now.  I think he means he wants PCRE support in “man --regex whatsit”.

* Re: Cygwin man does not recognise PerlRE ?
@ 2015-10-16 20:29 Mike Cappella
From: Mike Cappella @ 2015-10-16 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin