* Re: delete old version?
@ 2000-12-17 13:27 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-12-17 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Abbey, cygwin

--- Chris Abbey <cabbey@bresnanlink.net> wrote:
> smashing good idea.
>
> anyone have an idea how that same mentality can be pushed to
> some of the vendors that are still shipping B20? i.e. mySQL?

Flood their mail list? ;)  Just kidding.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com

---         < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com >         ---
--- Cygwin: POSIX on Windows < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ > ---
---   Minimalist GNU for Windows < http://www.mingw.org/ >   ---

* Re: delete old version?
@ 2000-12-17 13:43 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2000-12-17 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 01:27:16PM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- Chris Abbey <cabbey@bresnanlink.net> wrote:
>> smashing good idea.
>>
>> anyone have an idea how that same mentality can be pushed to
>> some of the vendors that are still shipping B20? i.e. mySQL?
>>

>Flood their mail list? ;)  Just kidding.

Well, if actual vendors are shipping B20 and they're not complying with
the GPL, then flooding their mail lists is probably a good idea.

cgf

* Re: delete old version?
@ 2000-12-17 14:49   ` Chris Abbey
From: Chris Abbey @ 2000-12-17 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 16:42 12/17/00 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Well, if actual vendors are shipping B20 and they're not complying with
>the GPL, then flooding their mail lists is probably a good idea.

well the win32 binary for mysql contains b20, but I don't follow
the GPL reference?

In the docs they make reference to cygwinb19.dll... telling people
to copy it into windows/system/ if they want to run a certain program.

The only linkage to anything cygwin related I can find is to this site:
http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/ which is close to a year and a
half old.

and just for fun, the current release doesn't even configure on
cygwin anymore.... :(

now the forces of openness
     have a powerful and
     unexpected new ally
    http://ibm.com/linux/

* Re: delete old version?
@ 2000-12-17 14:55     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2000-12-17 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 04:49:40PM -0600, Chris Abbey wrote:
>At 16:42 12/17/00 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>Well, if actual vendors are shipping B20 and they're not complying with
>>the GPL, then flooding their mail lists is probably a good idea.
>
>well the win32 binary for mysql contains b20, but I don't follow
>the GPL reference?

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

If someone is releasing a version of cygwin they have to provide sources.

cgf

* Re: delete old version?
@ 2000-12-17 14:56   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-17 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sunday 17 December 2000 22:42, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 01:27:16PM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >--- Chris Abbey <cabbey@bresnanlink.net> wrote:
> >> smashing good idea.
> >>
> >> anyone have an idea how that same mentality can be pushed to
> >> some of the vendors that are still shipping B20? i.e. mySQL?
> >
> >Flood their mail list? ;)  Just kidding.
>
> Well, if actual vendors are shipping B20 and they're not complying
> with the GPL, then flooding their mail lists is probably a good idea.

I have just checked out www.mysql.com. The source package of 3.23.28
for win32 contains mySQL sources only and the binary distribution for
win32 contains cygwinb19.dll and no sources.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: delete old version?
@ 2000-12-17 15:19       ` Chris Abbey
From: Chris Abbey @ 2000-12-17 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 17:55 12/17/00 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>If someone is releasing a version of cygwin they have to provide sources.

oh, right... duh... I wasn't even thinking of the sources aspect;
I was trying to figure out what kind of bizarre "thou shalt not ship
old shit" clause I was forgetting.

the configure script bug was trivial to fix... but they go off and redefine
a whole bunch of things out of system include headers and a lot of other
nasty stuff... bah, forget that... I don't need mySQL on windows *that* bad.

now the forces of openness
     have a powerful and
     unexpected new ally
    http://ibm.com/linux/

* Re: delete old version?
@ 2000-12-18  9:09         ` Markus Hoenicka
From: Markus Hoenicka @ 2000-12-18  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I think in the case of MySQL the often-heard-on-this-list reason why
they include B19-based clients is that no one cared to provide a newer
port. It's also open source, so there is no point in waiting that
"they" provide it. Port it and they'll be happy to include it.

I personally was only interested in libmysql so far. It is possible to
build it from the most recent sources with cygwin 1.1.6. I can provide
the patches and build instructions if you need them. I didn't look at
the clients yet, but it should not be impossible to build them
too. They're on my todo list, but not at top priority.

regards,
Markus

Chris Abbey writes:
 > At 17:55 12/17/00 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
 > >If someone is releasing a version of cygwin they have to provide sources.
 >
 > oh, right... duh... I wasn't even thinking of the sources aspect;
 > I was trying to figure out what kind of bizarre "thou shalt not ship
 > old shit" clause I was forgetting.
 >
 > the configure script bug was trivial to fix... but they go off and redefine
 > a whole bunch of things out of system include headers and a lot of other
 > nasty stuff... bah, forget that... I don't need mySQL on windows *that* bad.
 >

 > now the forces of openness
 >      have a powerful and
 >      unexpected new ally
 >     http://ibm.com/linux/
 >

 > --

Markus Hoenicka, PhD
UT Houston Medical School
Dept. of Integrative Biology and Pharmacology
6431 Fannin MSB4.114
Houston, TX 77030
(713) 500-6313, -7477
(713) 500-7444 (fax)
Markus.Hoenicka@uth.tmc.edu
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/

* Re: delete old version?
@ 2000-12-18  9:15           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2000-12-18  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 05:19:09PM +0000, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
>I think in the case of MySQL the often-heard-on-this-list reason why
>they include B19-based clients is that no one cared to provide a newer
>port. It's also open source, so there is no point in waiting that
>"they" provide it. Port it and they'll be happy to include it.

Well, "they" should be providing the sources for Cygwin B19, then.  It
sounds like "they" aren't complying with the GPL.

cgf

>I personally was only interested in libmysql so far. It is possible to
>build it from the most recent sources with cygwin 1.1.6. I can provide
>the patches and build instructions if you need them. I didn't look at
>the clients yet, but it should not be impossible to build them
>too. They're on my todo list, but not at top priority.
>
>regards,
>Markus
>
>Chris Abbey writes:
> > At 17:55 12/17/00 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > >If someone is releasing a version of cygwin they have to provide sources.
> >
> > oh, right... duh... I wasn't even thinking of the sources aspect;
> > I was trying to figure out what kind of bizarre "thou shalt not ship
> > old shit" clause I was forgetting.
> >
> > the configure script bug was trivial to fix... but they go off and redefine
> > a whole bunch of things out of system include headers and a lot of other
> > nasty stuff... bah, forget that... I don't need mySQL on windows *that* bad.
> >

> > now the forces of openness
> >      have a powerful and
> >      unexpected new ally
> >     http://ibm.com/linux/
> >

> > --
> >

>--
>Markus Hoenicka, PhD
>UT Houston Medical School
>Dept. of Integrative Biology and Pharmacology
>6431 Fannin MSB4.114
>Houston, TX 77030
>(713) 500-6313, -7477
>(713) 500-7444 (fax)
>Markus.Hoenicka@uth.tmc.edu
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/
>

>--

cgf@cygnus.com                        Red Hat, Inc.
http://sources.redhat.com/            http://www.redhat.com/

* Re: delete old version?
@ 2000-12-19  9:43           ` Jari Aalto+mail.emacs
From: Jari Aalto+mail.emacs @ 2000-12-19  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Mon 2000-12-18 Markus Hoenicka <Markus.Hoenicka@uth.tmc.edu> list.cygwin

| I think in the case of MySQL the often-heard-on-this-list reason why
| they include B19-based clients is that no one cared to provide a newer
| port. It's also open source, so there is no point in waiting that
| "they" provide it. Port it and they'll be happy to include it.
|
| I personally was only interested in libmysql so far. It is possible to
| build it from the most recent sources with cygwin 1.1.6. I can provide
| the patches and build instructions if you need them. I didn't look at
| the clients yet, but it should not be impossible to build them
| too. They're on my todo list, but not at top priority.

Oh please port the clients!! I'm have been waiting for MytSQL
client to work straight from the Win32 Emacs process buffer a la

    M-x sql-mysql

Right now, the windows ports are broken for Emacs communication,
I have a feeling that they don't use standard stdin and stdout
which are needed for integrating with Emacs.

You would see me coding an Emacs lisp support module for mySQL
if I had one available .... Think of minor mode for administrerin
User additions/deletions/access rights/server status/stops etc
with few keystrokes.

Jari

* Re: delete old version?
@ 2000-12-19 10:04             ` Markus Hoenicka
From: Markus Hoenicka @ 2000-12-19 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jari Aalto+mail.emacs writes:
 > Oh please port the clients!! I'm have been waiting for MytSQL
 > client to work straight from the Win32 Emacs process buffer a la
 >
 >     M-x sql-mysql
 >
 > Right now, the windows ports are broken for Emacs communication,
 > I have a feeling that they don't use standard stdin and stdout
 > which are needed for integrating with Emacs.
 >
 > You would see me coding an Emacs lisp support module for mySQL
 > if I had one available .... Think of minor mode for administrerin
 > User additions/deletions/access rights/server status/stops etc
 > with few keystrokes.

This of course would be nice to have. Maybe I'll have a chance to look
at the clients next week during the holidays.

regards
Markus
--

@ 2000-12-17 12:44     ` Chris Abbey
From: Chris Abbey @ 2000-12-17 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-12-17  4:13   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-17  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sunday 17 December 2000 06:09, you wrote:

> >> There is no minimum time limit when you distribute the source with
> >> the binary.  See GPL 3a.  You're thinking of GPL 3b, which
> >> requires a *written* promise.  We can't do that with FTP.
> >>
> >> If they didn't get the source when they downloaded the binary, we
> >> have no further obligations to them.
> >
> >Ah, yes.  Then I suggest removal of the old directory as people
> > really should upgrade if they want help.
>
> Strong ditto.
>
> I'd like to get rid of the B20 and B19 stuff in this process as well.
>  I'll archive them somewhere but I would rather not keep them around
> as there still seems to be a lot of confusion about B20.

Yes, trash it.

Corinna

* Re: delete old version?
@ 2000-12-16 21:09 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2000-12-16 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-12-16 21:06 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-12-16 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2000-12-16 21:01 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-12-16 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2000-12-16 20:33 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-12-16 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie, cygwin

--- DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> wrote:

> The pub/cygwin/old directory has about 330Mb of obsolete software,
> including b19 (47Mb) and b20 (135Mb).
>
> This accounts for a third of the stuff in pub/cygwin, and it would be
> a benefit to our mirror sites if we deleted it.
>
> Does anyone have any compelling reason to keep any of that stuff?

The only thing I can see objectionable would be the time limit for source
distribution; but, you would know better about that than I would.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com