* Incorrect results from 'cygpath -w' when having anaconda installed
@ 2022-11-05  1:50 enrique
From: enrique @ 2022-11-05  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello!

I am having incorrect results from 'cygpath -w':

### I have the cygwin root directory in C:\cygwin64, as confirmed by
'cmd':
$ cmd
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22621.674]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. Med enerett.

C:\cygwin64\home\Enrique>exit

### Cygwin thinks my home directory is:
$ pwd
/home/Enrique

### But 'cygpath -w' thinks ...
$ cygpath -w /home/Enrique
C:\Users\Enrique\anaconda3\Library\home\Enrique

### Investigating, I found that there is no 'home' in
C:\Users\Enrique\anaconda3\Library.
### Then I discovered this:
$ mount
C:/Users/Enrique/anaconda3/Library on / type ntfs (binary,noacl,auto)
C:/Users/Enrique/anaconda3/Library/usr/bin on /bin type ntfs
(binary,noacl,auto)
C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

Huh ??? How does this work?
Is there a way to hide the mounts done by anaconda?

I guess some anaconda binaries want to find the 'Library' directory as
the root, but cygwin continues to find its own root under C:/cygwin64.
Why does it get tripped by the anaconda install just when doing the path
translation?

-Enrique

* Re: Incorrect results from 'cygpath -w' when having anaconda installed
@ 2022-11-06 15:20 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2022-11-06 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: enrique, cygwin

Greetings, enrique@perezterron.net!

> Hello!

> I am having incorrect results from 'cygpath -w':

> ### I have the cygwin root directory in C:\cygwin64, as confirmed by 'cmd':
> $ cmd
> Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22621.674]
> (c) Microsoft Corporation. Med enerett.

> C:\cygwin64\home\Enrique>exit

> ### Cygwin thinks my home directory is:
> $ pwd
> /home/Enrique

> ### But 'cygpath -w' thinks ...
> $ cygpath -w /home/Enrique
> C:\Users\Enrique\anaconda3\Library\home\Enrique

> ### Investigating, I found that there is no 'home' in C:\Users\Enrique\anaconda3\Library.
> ### Then I discovered this:
> $ mount
> C:/Users/Enrique/anaconda3/Library on / type ntfs (binary,noacl,auto)
> C:/Users/Enrique/anaconda3/Library/usr/bin on /bin type ntfs (binary,noacl,auto)
> C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

> Huh ??? How does this work?
> Is there a way to hide the mounts done by anaconda?

> I guess some anaconda binaries want to find the 'Library' directory as the
> root, but cygwin continues to find its own root under C:/cygwin64. Why does
> it get tripped by the anaconda install just when doing the path translation?

Either you have two Cygwin version sinstalled, or your environment is screwed.
Please provide cygcheck output per https://cygwin.com/problems.html

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin