* libnet on cygwin: how to deal with libpcap?
@ 2017-12-12 13:04 Gianpaolo Pedrazza
From: Gianpaolo Pedrazza @ 2017-12-12 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear all,
I need to install libnet and I found on various sites [2][3] that the
only one way to install the prerequisite libpcap is to extract the
Developer Pack [4] into cygwin. I did it, I run all the tests and the
pcap library seemed to work pretty well. So I run the configure file
the latest available version of libnet and I was able to create the
Makefile. My problem comes running the "make" command, because the
libpcap library includes winsock2.h while libnet is based on socket.h.
Is this definitely an incompatibility between the two libraries or
there is something which can be done? Does someone know another way to
install libpcap on cygwin?

Cheers,
Gianpaolo

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/libnet-dev/
[2] https://www.unix.com/unix-for-beginners-questions-and-answers/26518
0-installing-winpcap-configure-cygwin.html
[3] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2396251/help-installing-libpcap
-on-cygwin
[4] https://www.winpcap.org/devel.htm

* Re: libnet on cygwin: how to deal with libpcap?
@ 2017-12-12 19:42 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-12-12 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-12-11 23:54, Gianpaolo Pedrazza wrote:
> I need to install libnet and I found on various sites [2][3] that the
> only one way to install the prerequisite libpcap is to extract the
> Developer Pack [4] into cygwin. I did it, I run all the tests and the
> pcap library seemed to work pretty well. So I run the configure file
> the latest available version of libnet and I was able to create the
> Makefile. My problem comes running the "make" command, because the
> libpcap library includes winsock2.h while libnet is based on socket.h.
> Is this definitely an incompatibility between the two libraries or
> there is something which can be done? Does someone know another way to
> install libpcap on cygwin?

Might want to look at
http://www.win10pcap.org/ or
https://github.com/nmap/npcap/ from the nmap project, or both.

* Re: libnet on cygwin: how to deal with libpcap?
@ 2017-12-14 19:57   ` Gianpaolo Pedrazza
From: Gianpaolo Pedrazza @ 2017-12-14 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian.Inglis, cygwin

On mar, 2017-12-12 at 09:07 -0700, Brian Inglis wrote:
> > I need to install libnet and I found on various sites [2][3] that
> > the
> > only one way to install the prerequisite libpcap is to extract the
> > Developer Pack [4] into cygwin. I did it, I run all the tests and
> > the
> > pcap library seemed to work pretty well. So I run the configure
> > file
> > the latest available version of libnet and I was able to create the
> > Makefile. My problem comes running the "make" command, because the
> > libpcap library includes winsock2.h while libnet is based on
> > socket.h.
> > Is this definitely an incompatibility between the two libraries or
> > there is something which can be done? Does someone know another way
> > install libpcap on cygwin?
> Might want to look at
> http://www.win10pcap.org/ or
> https://github.com/nmap/npcap/ from the nmap project, or both.

I had a look, but I couldn't do too much and decided to go through
another way. Apparently there is a patch that can be applied to the
libnet source files before compiling the library under cygwin. It was
once available under http://mathieu.carbou.free.fr/pub/libnet/1.1.2.1/l
ibnet-cygwin-diffs-1.1.2.1.zip. Is anyone here who has downloaded this
zip file or knows where a copy is available on the link?

Cheers,
Gianpaolo

* Re: libnet on cygwin: how to deal with libpcap?
@ 2017-12-15  0:33     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-12-15  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-12-14 12:32, Gianpaolo Pedrazza wrote:
> On mar, 2017-12-12 at 09:07 -0700, Brian Inglis wrote:
> I had a look, but I couldn't do too much and decided to go through
> another way. Apparently there is a patch that can be applied to the
> libnet source files before compiling the library under cygwin. It was
> once available under http://mathieu.carbou.free.fr/pub/libnet/1.1.2.1/l
> ibnet-cygwin-diffs-1.1.2.1.zip. Is anyone here who has downloaded this
> zip file or knows where a copy is available on the link?

Google URL gives the patch in https://marc.info/?l=libnet&m=109157113801801

This patch may need further updates.

* Re: libnet on cygwin: how to deal with libpcap?
@ 2017-12-16  1:32       ` Gianpaolo Pedrazza
From: Gianpaolo Pedrazza @ 2017-12-16  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian.Inglis, cygwin

On gio, 2017-12-14 at 16:19 -0700, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2017-12-14 12:32, Gianpaolo Pedrazza wrote:
> >
> > On mar, 2017-12-12 at 09:07 -0700, Brian Inglis wrote:
> > I had a look, but I couldn't do too much and decided to go through
> > another way. Apparently there is a patch that can be applied to the
> > libnet source files before compiling the library under cygwin. It
> > was
> > once available under http://mathieu.carbou.free.fr/pub/libnet/1.1.2
> > .1/l
> > ibnet-cygwin-diffs-1.1.2.1.zip. Is anyone here who has downloaded
> > this
> > zip file or knows where a copy is available on the link?
> Google URL gives the patch in https://marc.info/?l=libnet&m=109157113
> 801801
>
> This patch may need further updates.

Unfortunately is this link also broken, however marc.info redirects to
the homepage of Mathieu Carbou, the guy who developed the patch. I will
write directly to him. Thank you.

Cheers,
Gianpaolo

* Re: libnet on cygwin: how to deal with libpcap?
@ 2017-12-16  2:08         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-12-16  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-12-15 07:53, Gianpaolo Pedrazza wrote:
> On gio, 2017-12-14 at 16:19 -0700, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> On 2017-12-14 12:32, Gianpaolo Pedrazza wrote:
>>>
>>> On mar, 2017-12-12 at 09:07 -0700, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>> I had a look, but I couldn't do too much and decided to go through
>>> another way. Apparently there is a patch that can be applied to the
>>> libnet source files before compiling the library under cygwin. It
>>> was
>>> once available under http://mathieu.carbou.free.fr/pub/libnet/1.1.2
>>> .1/l
>>> ibnet-cygwin-diffs-1.1.2.1.zip. Is anyone here who has downloaded
>>> this
>>> zip file or knows where a copy is available on the link?
>> Google URL gives the patch in
>> https://marc.info/?l=libnet&m=109157113801801
>> This patch may need further updates.
> Unfortunately is this link also broken, however marc.info redirects to
> the homepage of Mathieu Carbou, the guy who developed the patch. I will
> write directly to him. Thank you.

I can access that page without any problems?!
It contains the acinclude.m4 patch as a diff and the patched acinclude.m4.

* Re: libnet on cygwin: how to deal with libpcap?
@ 2017-12-18 17:27           ` Gianpaolo Pedrazza
From: Gianpaolo Pedrazza @ 2017-12-18 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian.Inglis, cygwin

On ven, 2017-12-15 at 18:17 -0700, Brian Inglis wrote:k?
> > > Google URL gives the patch in
> > > https://marc.info/?l=libnet&m=109157113801801
> > > This patch may need further updates.
> > Unfortunately is this link also broken, however marc.info redirects
> > the homepage of Mathieu Carbou, the guy who developed the patch. I
> > will
> > write directly to him. Thank you.
> I can access that page without any problems?!
> It contains the acinclude.m4 patch as a diff and the patched
> acinclude.m4.

May be you can post the direct link to the patch,http://khapp.free.fr/p
ub/libnet-cygwin-diffs.zip still does not work for me.
However, I was able to find a working alternative:

https://github.com/QbsuranAlang/libnet-1.2-rc3-cygwin-static

Cheers,
Gianpaolo