* net start sshd problem
@ 2009-06-26 16:55 Gordon Fogus
From: Gordon Fogus @ 2009-06-26 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I installed cygwin for the second time.  I installed all the packages
from ftp%3a%2f%2fmirror.cs.vt.edu%2fpub%2fcygwin%2fcygwin%2f mirror.

My session then ran as follows (after I configured the mkpasswrd thing
for my domain account):
----
gsfogus@GSFogus ~
$ ssh-host-config -y
*** Query: Overwrite existing /etc/ssh_config file? (yes/no) yes
*** Info: Creating default /etc/ssh_config file
*** Query: Overwrite existing /etc/sshd_config file? (yes/no) yes
*** Info: Creating default /etc/sshd_config file
*** Info: Privilege separation is set to yes by default since OpenSSH 3.3.
*** Info: However, this requires a non-privileged account called 'sshd'.
*** Info: For more info on privilege separation read /usr/share/doc/openssh/READ
ME.privsep.
*** Query: Should privilege separation be used? (yes/no) yes
*** Info: Updating /etc/sshd_config file
*** Query: Overwrite existing /etc/inetd.d/sshd-inetd file? (yes/no) yes
*** Info: Creating default /etc/inetd.d/sshd-inetd file
*** Info: Updated /etc/inetd.d/sshd-inetd

*** Info: Host configuration finished. Have fun!

gsfogus@GSFogus ~
$ ssh localhost
ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused

gsfogus@GSFogus ~
$ net start sshd
System error 2 has occurred.

gsfogus@GSFogus ~
$ cygrunsrv -S sshd
cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService:  Win32 error 2: application

gsfogus@GSFogus ~
$ ssh localhost
ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused
----

In order to get to this location, I followed these instructions:
----
1.	After finishing installing Cygwin, right click “My Computer”, and
select “Properties”, “Advanced”, “Environment Variables”. Click on the
“New” button to add a new entry to “System variables”. The new entry
is called “CYGWIN” and set the value to “ntsec tty”.
2.	While in the environment variables dialog, confirm that “Path” has
“c:\cygwin\bin” (or wherever you have put Cygwin’s bin/ directory) in
its definition.
3.	Run the following command in a Cygwin shell:

>ssh-host-config –y

If the script asks you about “privilege separation”, answer “yes”.
If the script asks about “create a local user sshd on this machine”,
answer “yes”
If the script asks you about “install sshd as a service”, answer “yes”
When the script asks you for “environment variable CYGWIN=”, answer “ntsec tty”
You may need to change the following permissions if error messages
instruct you to do so when using Cygwin install version 2.573.2.3:

>chmod +r /etc/passwd
>chmod +r /etc/group
>chmod o+x /var

4.	Confirm that windows will automatically start up the sshd service
on startup. Click on “Start”, “Run” and enter “services.msc” in the
“Open:” text box. Click “OK”. In the “Name” column, look for “CYGWIN
sshd”. Right click this entry and select “Properties”. In the “Startup
type” text box, it should show “Automatic”.
5.	Next, click on the “Log On” tab in the Cygwin sshd Properties
dialog box. Under “Local System account”, select the checkbox for
“Allow service to interact with desktop”. Press “OK” and exit the
“services.msc” window.
6.	Start the sshd service:

>cygrunsrv –S sshd
or
>net start sshd
----

How can I fix this problem?  I cannot SSH into my machine.

* Re: net start sshd problem
@ 2009-06-26 17:18 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-06-26 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 09:28:50AM -0700, Gordon Fogus wrote:
>I installed cygwin for the second time.  I installed all the packages
>from ftp%3a%2f%2fmirror.cs.vt.edu%2fpub%2fcygwin%2fcygwin%2f mirror.
>
>My session then ran as follows (after I configured the mkpasswrd thing
>for my domain account):
>----
>gsfogus@GSFogus ~
>$ ssh-host-config -y
>*** Query: Overwrite existing /etc/ssh_config file? (yes/no) yes
>*** Info: Creating default /etc/ssh_config file
>*** Query: Overwrite existing /etc/sshd_config file? (yes/no) yes
>*** Info: Creating default /etc/sshd_config file
>*** Info: Privilege separation is set to yes by default since OpenSSH 3.3.
>*** Info: However, this requires a non-privileged account called 'sshd'.
>*** Info: For more info on privilege separation read /usr/share/doc/openssh/READ
>ME.privsep.
>*** Query: Should privilege separation be used? (yes/no) yes
>*** Info: Updating /etc/sshd_config file
>*** Query: Overwrite existing /etc/inetd.d/sshd-inetd file? (yes/no) yes
>*** Info: Creating default /etc/inetd.d/sshd-inetd file
>*** Info: Updated /etc/inetd.d/sshd-inetd
>
>*** Info: Host configuration finished. Have fun!
>
>gsfogus@GSFogus ~
>$ ssh localhost
>ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused
>
>gsfogus@GSFogus ~
>$ net start sshd
>System error 2 has occurred.
>
>The system cannot find the file specified.
>
>gsfogus@GSFogus ~
>$ cygrunsrv -S sshd
>cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService:  Win32 error 2: application
>The system cannot find the file specified.
>
>gsfogus@GSFogus ~
>$ ssh localhost
>ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused
>----
>
>In order to get to this location, I followed these instructions:
>----
>1.	After finishing installing Cygwin, right click ?My Computer?, and
>select ?Properties?, ?Advanced?, ?Environment Variables?. Click on the
>?New? button to add a new entry to ?System variables?. The new entry
>is called ?CYGWIN? and set the value to ?ntsec tty?.
>2.	While in the environment variables dialog, confirm that ?Path? has
>?c:\cygwin\bin? (or wherever you have put Cygwin?s bin/ directory) in
>its definition.
>3.	Run the following command in a Cygwin shell:
>
>>ssh-host-config ?y
>
>If the script asks you about ?privilege separation?, answer ?yes?.
>If the script asks about ?create a local user sshd on this machine?,
>answer ?yes?
>If the script asks you about ?install sshd as a service?, answer ?yes?
>When the script asks you for ?environment variable CYGWIN=?, answer ?ntsec tty?
>You may need to change the following permissions if error messages
>instruct you to do so when using Cygwin install version 2.573.2.3:

I can't comment on why you are having problems but setting the CYGWIN
environment variable to "ntsec tty" makes no sense at all.  If it really
was required the ssh-host-config would set it for you automatically.

cgf

* RE: net start sshd problem
@ 2009-06-26 17:21 ` David Christensen
From: David Christensen @ 2009-06-26 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: 'Gordon Fogus'

Gordon Fogus wrote:
> gsfogus@GSFogus ~
> $ net start sshd
> System error 2 has occurred.

Are there any clues in /var/log/sshd.log?

HTH,

David

* Re: net start sshd problem
@ 2009-06-26 19:18   ` Gordon Fogus
From: Gordon Fogus @ 2009-06-26 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Christensen, cygwin

/var/log/sshd.log does not exist.

---
gsfogus@GSFogus /var/log
$ ls -a
.   apache   exim     messages   setup.log.full  wtmp
..  apache2  lastlog  setup.log  squid
---

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 9:47 AM, David
Christensen<dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> Gordon Fogus wrote:
>> gsfogus@GSFogus ~
>> $ net start sshd
>> System error 2 has occurred.
>> The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> Are there any clues in /var/log/sshd.log?
>

> HTH,
>
> David

* Re: net start sshd problem
@ 2009-06-26 19:22     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-06-26 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:17:57AM -0700, Gordon Fogus wrote:
>/var/log/sshd.log does not exist.

How about the event log?

cgf

* Re: net start sshd problem
@ 2009-06-26 19:35       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-06-26 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 01:21:41PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:17:57AM -0700, Gordon Fogus wrote:
>>/var/log/sshd.log does not exist.
>
>How about the event log?

And, also:
                       VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

* Re: net start sshd problem
@ 2018-03-16 17:47     ` mhallnh
From: mhallnh @ 2018-03-16 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Has anyone been able to get CYGWIN sssd service to interact with the windows
desktop?
If yes, could you please reply with the configuration you used to get it to
work.

Thanks,

Mitch Hall

--