* /lib/debug/usr/bin/cygwin1.dbg ?
@ 2018-07-08 17:45 Ulli Horlacher
From: Ulli Horlacher @ 2018-07-08 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am really short of disk space and I am looking for files I can
delete without trouble.

/lib/debug/usr/bin/cygwin1.dbg has 24 MB. Does cygwin really need it or is
it just for debugging purposes, in which case I could delete it?

I already have deleted /usr/share/doc/gtk3/ChangeLog with 14 MB...

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK

* Re: /lib/debug/usr/bin/cygwin1.dbg ?
@ 2018-07-08 18:06 ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2018-07-08 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08/07/18 18:45, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> I am really short of disk space and I am looking for files I can
> delete without trouble.
>
> /lib/debug/usr/bin/cygwin1.dbg has 24 MB. Does cygwin really need it or is
> it just for debugging purposes, in which case I could delete it?

The best way to do this is to launch Cygwin's 'setup' application and
remove any packages that you don't need. Deleting any 'debuginfo'
packages that you don't need will recover the most drive space, without
affecting functionality too much.

> I already have deleted /usr/share/doc/gtk3/ChangeLog with 14 MB...

It's better to remove packages using Cygwin's 'setup' rather than
arbitrarily deleting files...

Dave.

* Re: cleanup disk space (was: /lib/debug/usr/bin/cygwin1.dbg)
@ 2018-07-08 20:41   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2018-07-08 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-07-08 12:06, David Stacey wrote:
> On 08/07/18 18:45, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
>> I am really short of disk space and I am looking for files I can
>> delete without trouble.
>>
>> /lib/debug/usr/bin/cygwin1.dbg has 24 MB. Does cygwin really need it or is
>> it just for debugging purposes, in which case I could delete it?
>
> The best way to do this is to launch Cygwin's 'setup' application and remove any
> packages that you don't need. Deleting any 'debuginfo' packages that you don't
> need will recover the most drive space, without affecting functionality too much.
>
>> I already have deleted /usr/share/doc/gtk3/ChangeLog with 14 MB...
>
> It's better to remove packages using Cygwin's 'setup' rather than arbitrarily
> deleting files...

More usable for browsing might be Windows GUI utilities like (for 10 read 4):

https://www.howtogeek.com/113012/10-best-free-tools-to-analyze-hard-drive-space-on-your-windows-pc/

which may highlight areas you forgot or did not know about, and generally
articles like:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/delete-windows-files-folders/

their links, and similar info on PC magazine web sites, which advise on deleting
Windows junk.

Also check installed Windows apps, Windows and user's profile's temp and
download directories, including browser caches, and your Cygwin mirror download
directory/-ies.

Don't delete anything if you don't understand what it's for or does, or you'll
need to find serious help on recovering Windows or Cygwin installs: you can
learn a lot that way, but it can be time consuming and stressful: BTDT ;^>

Besides -debug, -doc, and -devel packages you do not *need*, also look at
texlive, compilers, fonts, backgrounds, wallpapers, and icons packages; run

	$ du -hs /.../ | sort -k1hr

to highlight the hogs among /tmp, /var/* esp. cache, log, maybe spool and tmp,
/usr/share/* esp. doc, info, man and some others which may yield surprises;
avoid any paths that include virtual or Windows directories, like /proc i.e.
/proc/cygdrive/, maybe also /home if that links to Windows dirs, as that will
take a while and duplicate OS utilities.

* Re: cleanup disk space (was: /lib/debug/usr/bin/cygwin1.dbg)
@ 2018-07-10  4:11     ` bzs
From: bzs @ 2018-07-10  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian.Inglis; +Cc: cygwin

I hesitate to jump in here but what about the common compression
programs cygwin provides like bzip2 and xz?

Maybe everyone knows about them and clearly you can't do this on files
you actually need to use (e.g., executables, tho looking at /usr/bin
some are 20MB each and if you know you don't actually run them
ever...) And even an error can generally be undone with a simple
uncompress command within reason. Don't compress the respective
uncompress command!

And zip and tar can be used to package up entire directories or
wildcard matched files in one command.

And if you find you really don't miss what you packed up they can be
moved off disk entirely to a thumb drive or CD/DVD or whatever for
more savings tho that's also true of the uncompressed versions but zip
or tar archives are particularly handy for this.

Maybe it's too obvious, apologies.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs@TheWorld.com             | http://www.TheWorld.com

* Re: cleanup disk space
@ 2018-07-10  4:45       ` Heavenly Avenger
From: Heavenly Avenger @ 2018-07-10  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello! I maybe am getting the message underway and I don't see the
history on the message itself, and you seem to be replying somebody that
posted a question before I joined the list.

But I believe that if space is a concern there are two main points I can
think of:

- Selectively installing only packages you need. I do this myself, get
rid of any x, gtk, kde, gnome related stuff
- Using NTFS compression. You can do this by a per-folder level and
compress just given folders (or files) "in-place" without making it
unable to run/open the files. NTFS does this compression transparent to
the user -- at the cost of additional CPU cycles to decompress the file
when a read is attempted.

To enable NTFS compression, you can do it for the whole disk. Open
explorer, right-click disk, properties, and check the "compress this
drive to save disk space" in the dialog that is displayed.

You can do this for specific files/folders by right-clicking them,
clicking 'properties', then 'advanced' and then checking the
compression-specific checkbox that's displayed.

This should go smoothly with cygwin... but nowadays I believe the space
cygwin spends is negligible comparing to the size of the available disks...

Zipping the files with bzip2/gzip/whatever may work for some editors
that know to expand the files before opening, but that won't be the case
in the majority of the applications. The transparent and native
compression should be the best shot to shrink a big and cluttered cygwin
installation in no time. Again, for the (potential) cost of performance.

Hope this helps!