* Regarding openssh 8.1p1-1 access
@ 2020-11-10 18:51 Sudhanshu Bhutani
From: Sudhanshu Bhutani @ 2020-11-10 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi cygwin community members,

My name is Sudhanshu Bhutani and we are working for one of leading network
service providers for our internal telecom tool. For the last few days, our
customers are reporting problems with our internal tool which uses cygwin
ssh and posix components.

We have a problem reported in the cygwin installation procedure, where
openssh  8.1p1-1 is not getting downloaded and cygwin mirrors are not
listing this  8.1p1-1 version and instead latest versions are listed.

How can we download  8.1p1-1 in cygwin?

Do you have any mirror/web link which our customers can use where open ssh
 8.1p1-1 is found and successful cygwin installation can happen?

I found one web link where openssh  8.1p1-1
https://linux.cc.iitk.ac.in/mirror/cygwin/x86_64/release/openssh/
is hosted, but cygwin says "Unable to get setup from linux.cc.iitk.ac.in
for openssh

Please guide me.

--
Regards
Sudhanshu Bhutani

* Re: Regarding openssh 8.1p1-1 access
@ 2020-11-10 19:05 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2020-11-10 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10.11.2020 19:51, Sudhanshu Bhutani via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi cygwin community members,
>
> My name is Sudhanshu Bhutani and we are working for one of leading network
> service providers for our internal telecom tool. For the last few days, our
> customers are reporting problems with our internal tool which uses cygwin
> ssh and posix components.
>
> We have a problem reported in the cygwin installation procedure, where
> openssh  8.1p1-1 is not getting downloaded and cygwin mirrors are not
> listing this  8.1p1-1 version and instead latest versions are listed.
>
> How can we download  8.1p1-1 in cygwin?
>
> Do you have any mirror/web link which our customers can use where open ssh
>   8.1p1-1 is found and successful cygwin installation can happen?
>
> I found one web link where openssh  8.1p1-1
> https://linux.cc.iitk.ac.in/mirror/cygwin/x86_64/release/openssh/
> is hosted, but cygwin says "Unable to get setup from linux.cc.iitk.ac.in
> for openssh
>
> Please guide me.

Dear Sudhanshu,
version 8.1p1-1 is not more available on the cygwin mirrors
as was replaced by several new versions.

the latest version is 8.4p1-1

Cygwin is a rolling distribution, the last package is expected to be
the current one and to be used.

Regards
Marco

* Re: Regarding openssh 8.1p1-1 access
@ 2020-11-10 20:28   ` Sudhanshu Bhutani
From: Sudhanshu Bhutani @ 2020-11-10 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Atzeri; +Cc: cygwin

Thanks Marco.
Do you know of any mirror service - which can provide the old package -
maybe with some cost/revenue model? We can then ask our customers to add
that specific ftp mirror web link.
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Sudhanshu Bhutani

@ 2020-11-10 20:55     ` Mike O'Brien
From: Mike O'Brien @ 2020-11-10 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/10/2020 3:28 PM, Sudhanshu Bhutani via Cygwin wrote:
> Thanks Marco.
> Do you know of any mirror service - which can provide the old package -
> maybe with some cost/revenue model? We can then ask our customers to add
> that specific ftp mirror web link.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Sudhanshu Bhutani
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 2:05 PM Marco Atzeri via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 10.11.2020 19:51, Sudhanshu Bhutani via Cygwin wrote:
>>> Hi cygwin community members,
>>>
>>> My name is Sudhanshu Bhutani and we are working for one of leading
>> network
>>> service providers for our internal telecom tool. For the last few days,
>> our
>>> customers are reporting problems with our internal tool which uses cygwin
>>> ssh and posix components.
>>>
>>> We have a problem reported in the cygwin installation procedure, where
>>> openssh  8.1p1-1 is not getting downloaded and cygwin mirrors are not
>>> listing this  8.1p1-1 version and instead latest versions are listed.
>>>
>>> How can we download  8.1p1-1 in cygwin?
>>>
>>> Do you have any mirror/web link which our customers can use where open
>> ssh
>>>    8.1p1-1 is found and successful cygwin installation can happen?
>>>
>>> I found one web link where openssh  8.1p1-1
>>> https://linux.cc.iitk.ac.in/mirror/cygwin/x86_64/release/openssh/
>>> is hosted, but cygwin says "Unable to get setup from linux.cc.iitk.ac.in
>>> for openssh
>>>
>>> Please guide me.
>>>
>> Dear Sudhanshu,
>> version 8.1p1-1 is not more available on the cygwin mirrors
>> as was replaced by several new versions.
>>
>> the latest version is 8.4p1-1
>>
>> Cygwin is a rolling distribution, the last package is expected to be
>> the current one and to be used.
>>
>> Regards
>> Marco
>> --
>> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
>> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
>> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

@Sudhanshu —
I really have no idea, but his_might_  be helpful:*Cygwin Time Machine*:
http://www.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/Cygwin/timemachine.html
— Mike

--
Mater mea, et are Hibernica Pater...et Ego Hibernica quoque!

* Re: Regarding openssh 8.1p1-1 access
@ 2020-11-10 22:43 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-11-10 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-11-10 11:51, Sudhanshu Bhutani via Cygwin wrote:
> My name is Sudhanshu Bhutani and we are working for one of leading network
> service providers for our internal telecom tool. For the last few days, our
> customers are reporting problems with our internal tool which uses cygwin
> ssh and posix components.
>
> We have a problem reported in the cygwin installation procedure, where
> openssh  8.1p1-1 is not getting downloaded and cygwin mirrors are not
> listing this  8.1p1-1 version and instead latest versions are listed.
>
> How can we download  8.1p1-1 in cygwin?

Security software like openssh should always be kept up to date to fix issues
and plug vulnerabilities which could allow yourself and your clients' systems to
be compromised. Cygwin typically only provides and allows the current and two
previous versions to be installed, in this case 8.4, 8.3, 8.2. Version 8.1 is
over a year old and should no longer be used; see:

	https://www.openssh.com/releasenotes.html

If you are concerned about how this is managed by Cygwin, you should provide
your own Cygwin package repository mirror, where you can control which packages
and versions are provided and made available.

* Re: Regarding openssh 8.1p1-1 access
@ 2020-11-10 23:14   ` Sudhanshu Bhutani
From: Sudhanshu Bhutani @ 2020-11-10 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thank you Brian and Mike. We will see if cygwin time machine owners can
help us.
http://www.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/Cygwin/timemachine.html

I will try contacting - doctor@fruitbat.org - PETER CASTRO for any help.

@ 2020-11-11  0:16     ` Sudhanshu Bhutani
From: Sudhanshu Bhutani @ 2020-11-11  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

One more approach - i was thinking was - can we package/include the
complete cygwin already [which already has older openssh version in bin
folder] installed folder to our tool exe without any modification?
Does it involve any violations for Cygwin GPLv3? Do we need to include
source code as well? Or can re-distributing an already created cygwin
folder can be done with freedom without any issues?

--

@ 2020-11-11  4:26       ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2020-11-11  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sudhanshu Bhutani, cygwin

It is the custom to "bottom post" (put responses at the bottom of an email) or intersperse responses
on this list, not to put responses at the top.  I know customs vary, but that's what people prefer
here :-) ...   EM

* Re: Regarding openssh 8.1p1-1 access
@ 2020-11-11 10:56       ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2020-11-11 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sudhanshu Bhutani, cygwin

Greetings, Sudhanshu Bhutani!

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 6:14 PM Sudhanshu Bhutani wrote:

>> Thank you Brian and Mike. We will see if cygwin time machine owners can
>> help us.
>> http://www.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/Cygwin/timemachine.html
>>
>> I will try contacting - doctor@fruitbat.org - PETER CASTRO for any help.
>>

> One more approach - i was thinking was - can we package/include the
> complete cygwin already [which already has older openssh version in bin
> folder] installed folder to our tool exe without any modification?
> Does it involve any violations for Cygwin GPLv3? Do we need to include
> source code as well? Or can re-distributing an already created cygwin
> folder can be done with freedom without any issues?

You can provide a private mirror of your own as suggested, which would be a
more future-proof way, but really you should investigate the cause of the
failing SSH behavior and fix THAT.
I suspect the fix would be way easier than setting up and maintaining a whole
mirror.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Regarding openssh 8.1p1-1 access
@ 2020-11-11 13:59         ` Sudhanshu Bhutani
From: Sudhanshu Bhutani @ 2020-11-11 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2020-11-12 17:53           ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2020-11-12 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sudhanshu Bhutani, cygwin

Greetings, Sudhanshu Bhutani!

>> Greetings, Sudhanshu Bhutani!

>> help.
>> >>

>> > One more approach - i was thinking was - can we package/include the
>> > complete cygwin already [which already has older openssh version in bin
>> > folder] installed folder to our tool exe without any modification?
>> > Does it involve any violations for Cygwin GPLv3? Do we need to include
>> > source code as well? Or can re-distributing an already created cygwin
>> > folder can be done with freedom without any issues?
>>
>> You can provide a private mirror of your own as suggested, which would be a
>> more future-proof way, but really you should investigate the cause of the
>> failing SSH behavior and fix THAT.
>> I suspect the fix would be way easier than setting up and maintaining a
>> whole
>> mirror.
>>

> Thanks for your reply, we are going to retire our platform that uses ssh
> client of old times in next 4 months, which is not supporting updated
> ciphers/updated in openssh 8.2 versions. As cygwin is only supporting
> updated binaries from openssh and not listing older versions, hence the
> issue is appearing on the platform where old ssh client is deployed.
> Unfortunately, the platform lives with customer and we dont have any way to
> update obsolete platform. Hence, i was thinking for work around on this
> platform for next 4-6 months, to re-distribute already installed cygwin
> folder to customer from which our tool can use older ssh client.

I have an urge to call the b-word.

> Does it involve gplv3 violations or any legal challenge? Appreciate your
> response.

Newer OpenSSH do support old ciphers, but they needs to be explicitly enabled
in config.
See https://www.openssh.com/legacy.html

--
With best regards,