* Cygwin DLL 2.5.1 setup-x86_64.exe flagged by AVG for IDP.ARES.Generic
       [not found] <1262999207.5580004.1462120717636.JavaMail.yahoo.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-05-01 16:38 ` Ron Gaw
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Ron Gaw @ 2016-05-01 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin at cygwin dot com

On 4/30/2016, I was performing a regular update by running setup-x86_64.exe (not Cygwin DLL 2.5.1, was older version but have lost that info because of what came next).

During the run of setup I had downloaded earlier this year, the setup program gave the message that a newer version of setup was available.  This is standard from my experience, so I went to the Cygwin home page and downloaded the latest setup-x86_64.exe, version Cygwin DLL 2.5.1 (overwriting the previous version I had saved).

When I ran setup-x86_64.exe (the newly downloaded version 2.5.1), AVG popped up and warned that IDP.ARES.Generic was detected attempting to install, and asked me to "Protect" by removing the threat.  I (hopefully) erred on the side of caution and agreed to the protection.

I've searched the Mailing lists at Cygwin and I've Google searched for the IDP.ARES.Generic issue (including variations of the Google search to require mention of Cygwin in the results returned), but I'm not finding anything.

My currently installed Cygwin suite of apps all still seem to work fine (I wouldn't expect anything different), but wasn't sure if AVG had really found something in Cygwin SETUP or if this is a false alarm.  Not savy enough (yet) to dig into the bits inside setup-x86_64.exe and confirm the threat is real.

Sorry for the verbose background, but ... use Cygwin (apps) all the time, hoping to get a confirmation on the validity of this threat?

* Resend with better formatting: Cygwin DLL 2.5.1 setup-x86_64.exe flagged by AVG for IDP.ARES.Generic
@ 2016-05-01 16:42   ` Ron Gaw <ronmlgaw at yahoo dot com>
From: Ron Gaw <ronmlgaw at yahoo dot com> @ 2016-05-01 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin at cygwin dot com

[...]

* Re: Cygwin DLL 2.5.1 setup-x86_64.exe flagged by AVG for IDP.ARES.Generic
@ 2016-05-01 18:01   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-05-01 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.setup.virus

> I've searched the Mailing lists at Cygwin and I've Google searched for
> the IDP.ARES.Generic issue (including variations of the Google search
> to require mention of Cygwin in the results returned), but I'm not
> finding anything.

It's a false positive based on a faulty heuristic meant to catch certain
types of polymorphic malware.  Each time setup.exe gets updated they
seem to need another report before they whitelist setup.exe again.  So
please report it to AVG.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Cygwin DLL 2.5.1 setup-x86_64.exe flagged by AVG for IDP.ARES.Generic
@ 2016-05-02  6:04   ` LLoyd
From: LLoyd @ 2016-05-02  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Gaw, cygwin

You should at least provide the md5 of the downloaded exe.
Then you should upload it to virustotal.com for analysis.

Regards,
LLoyd