* Renamed output pipe
       [not found] <199265146.4986712.1617375312382.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2021-04-02 14:55 ` Hannes Domani
From: Hannes Domani @ 2021-04-02 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello

Very recently, cygwin changed the name of the output pipe [1].
Now the simple detection of msys2-gcc, if the output is mintty, and so can colorize the diagnostic messages [2], doesn't work anymore.

I'm aware that this is a cygwin-internal name, and shouldn't be expected to have a certain value, and I also don't really expect that you change it back.
But I've used a similar check for 5 years now without problems, and just wanted to bring to your attention that it is useful for native programs to somehow detect if it's outputting to mintty.

So, if possible, please don't change the name of the output pipe again.

Regards
Hannes

[1] https://cygwin.com/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=commit;h=ef05e8bdae87b9a72a709a7a7054543aab45992a
[2] https://github.com/msys2/MINGW-packages/blob/master/mingw-w64-gcc/0140-gcc-8.2.0-diagnostic-color.patch

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-04-02 14:55 UTC | newest]