* various 'cywin1.dll' tested with PERL's 'Configure' script.
@ 1999-06-02 22:22 Samy Alex ZAIMI
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Samy Alex ZAIMI @ 1999-06-02 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello everyone,
A few days ago, I posted to this list some
questions concerning the problems I had with
configuring PERL (with the dynamic patch suited
for cygwin).
Since I received no answers, I had to dig a bit. I
found out that one of the problems is related to
the way (a)sh.exe handles so called 'here
documents'.
The version of 'sh.exe' I have is dated Dec 1
1998, and is 68608 bytes long. I was unable to
print the version, because neither '-v' nor
'--version' nor '-h' nor '-?' seem to work. May be
it is too old, is there a new ash arround ?

I have found in the archives some discussions
about that (it was in february). The symptoms
described by Mikey in his first post dated
1999/02/12/18:43:39 (Here documents in ash shell
scripts mess up stdin on 9x) are exactly the same
I am facing.
Unfortunately, I didn't follow the whole
discussion, and I don't know what are the
conclusions among :
1. put a symlink from /bin/bash.exe to
/usr/bin/sh.exe (doesn't change anything)
2. change tty in CYGWIN to notty (ok, solves, but
what about stability ?)
3. recompile a newer version of (a)sh.exe (didn't
try)

Lately, Glenn Spell posted (1999/05/03/13:02:39,
Heredocs with ash on Win95) that such problems
disappeared when he used the 19990502 cygwin1.dll.
Well, he didn't receive many answers either (or he
did but it was privately).

I don't know if here documents are indeed better
handled, because when I try the Configure script
for PERL, here is what I have :
    helios:/usr/local/src/perl5.005_03$ sh
Configure
    /bin/cat.exe: ./try: input file is output file

    /bin/cat.exe: ./try: input file is output file

    : Can't open
    Hmm... ': use /bin/sh' does not guarantee sh
startup...
    You may have to fix up the shell scripts to
make sure /bin/sh runs them.

With the old version (from 19990115), I have a
very usual beginning :
    helios:/usr/local/src/perl5.005_03$ sh
Configure
    Beginning of configuration questions for
perl5.

So, what is going on there ?
By the way, I tried also the snapshot from
19990601, but my shell blew up with a Windows
error message (you know, the one that advices to
contact the author(s) of the software).
Well, I don't know what to do.

Some people can tell me that I can install the
full compiled binary distribution of PERL from
C.Wilson (instead of compiling it localy), but do
they know that this distro has still some hidden
imperfections ? For instance, in the file
'/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/cygwin32/config.pm',
some variables have empty settings like :
mv, tail, tar, zcat, bash, bison, chgrp, chown,
chmod, flex
or very strange ones, like 'ranlib' being set to
':' !
This comes from the Configure procedure, which
still made some mistakes.

Anyway, I would appreciate very much if someone
explains me what I am missing here.
May be it is a good opportunity to recapitulate
everything about versions of (a)sh.exe, use of
(no)tty, versions of cygwin1.dll ...
(if possible within the frame of W95).

Thanks in advance,
Samy Alex ZAIMI.

* Re: various 'cywin1.dll' tested with PERL's 'Configure' script.
@ 1999-06-03 10:21 ` Glenn Spell
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-06-03 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The following may not be of any help for the perl configure problem.
I'm writing only about the ash heredoc problem.

On Jun 03 1999 at 07:21AM +0000, Samy Alex ZAIMI wrote:

> Since I received no answers, I had to dig a bit. I found out that
> one of the problems is related to the way (a)sh.exe handles so
> called 'here documents'.  The version of 'sh.exe' I have is dated
> [...] May be it is too old, is there a new ash arround ?

The ash distributed with Cygwin is from Debian Linux with some local
changes by Cygnus. Last year I looked around but did not find a
better alternative. I incorporated some Debian patches while working
on the infamous "Win95 'make' bug" but it didn't seem to help.

> Lately, Glenn Spell posted (1999/05/03/13:02:39, Heredocs with ash
> on Win95) that such problems disappeared when he used the 19990502
> cygwin1.dll.  Well, he didn't receive many answers either (or he
> did but it was privately).

I received no response. Later, I found that the ash heredoc problem
was corrected in the 990325 cygwin1.dll, probably in the changes made
by Chris documented in Changelog on "Mar 24, 1999". (There's also a
reference to Win95/98 in Changelog on "Mar 21, 1999".)

> By the way, I tried also the snapshot from 19990601, but my shell
> blew up [...]

From 990325, I have to get up to 990524 to find a stable DLL. The
990530 also seems to work OK. I haven't tried anything more recent.

> Anyway, I would appreciate very much if someone explains me what I
> am missing here.

You seem to be on top of the situation :-) Unfortunately, the
snapshots are not intended as "bug fixes" for older versions.

I'd like to extract whatever changes were made that fixed the
heredoc problem and apply them to the latest B20.1 snapshot
as I did DJ's fix for the infamous "Win95 'make' problem"
(< http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1999-Jan/0484.html >), but
I haven't had time. These things are very time consuming for a
non-programmer like myself.

> May be it is a good opportunity to recapitulate everything about
> versions of (a)sh.exe, use of (no)tty, versions of cygwin1.dll ...
> (if possible within the frame of W95).

That would certainly be a good project for someone.

-glenn

--
 )      Glenn Spell <glenn@gs.fay.nc.us>      )   _       _____
 )   Fayetteville, North Carolina, U. S. A.   )_ (__\____o /_/_ |

* Re: various 'cywin1.dll' tested with PERL's 'Configure' script.
@ 1999-06-03 10:35   ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 1999-06-03 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Glenn Spell wrote:

> The following may not be of any help for the perl configure problem.
> I'm writing only about the ash heredoc problem.
>
> On Jun 03 1999 at 07:21AM +0000, Samy Alex ZAIMI wrote:
>
> > Since I received no answers, I had to dig a bit. I found out that
> > one of the problems is related to the way (a)sh.exe handles so
> > called 'here documents'.  The version of 'sh.exe' I have is dated
> > [...] May be it is too old, is there a new ash arround ?
>
> The ash distributed with Cygwin is from Debian Linux with some local
> changes by Cygnus. Last year I looked around but did not find a
> better alternative. I incorporated some Debian patches while working
> on the infamous "Win95 'make' bug" but it didn't seem to help.
>
> > Lately, Glenn Spell posted (1999/05/03/13:02:39, Heredocs with ash
> > on Win95) that such problems disappeared when he used the 19990502
> > cygwin1.dll.  Well, he didn't receive many answers either (or he
> > did but it was privately).

Why do we need ash anyway - what's the trouble with using just bash as
sh?  I tried using ash several times on my Linux boot floppies to save
space, but I always concluded it wasn't worth the trouble, bash is just
so much better even for noninteractive use.  Instead I saved space by
not including any executables that had a corresponding bash built-in,
and rewriting several others as scripts.

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.

* stdarg question
@ 1999-06-03 10:39   ` David Young
From: David Young @ 1999-06-03 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a function using the stdarg facility such as:

myfunc(arg1, arg2, ...)

and in its body I want to pass the stdarg (vararg) part of the stack such as:

myfunc(arg1, arg2, ...)
{

/* do stuff */

anotherfunction(argA, ...);

/* do more stuff */

return;
}

But because there is no parameter name for the vararg argument part (i.e.:
...) I don't see how to pass that to anotherfunction()

Can passing the vararg part be done? How?

Thanks A Bunch! David Young; VVI-DCS
dyoung@vvi.com

* Re: various 'cywin1.dll' tested with PERL's 'Configure' script.
@ 1999-06-05 20:56 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 1999-06-05 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zaimi; +Cc: cygwin

Samy Alex ZAIMI wrote:

> Some people can tell me that I can install the
> full compiled binary distribution of PERL from
> C.Wilson (instead of compiling it localy), but do
> they know that this distro has still some hidden
> imperfections ? For instance, in the file
> '/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/cygwin32/config.pm',
> some variables have empty settings like :
> mv, tail, tar, zcat, bash, bison, chgrp, chown,
> chmod, flex
> or very strange ones, like 'ranlib' being set to
> ':' !
> This comes from the Configure procedure, which
> still made some mistakes.

Not everything weird is a mistake. I can't explain all of the empty
settings in config.pm, but 'ranlib' = ':' is done purposefully. If you
look in the Configure script, you'll see that ':' is used to signify
that either (a) ar does random libraries by itself, so there is no need
to use a ranlib, or (b) random libraries are not supported and that
'lorder' and 'tsort' will be used to order the libs.

Does this distro have hidden imperfections? Well, I don't know - if I
did know about them they wouldn't be hidden! :-) I can say that all of
the imperfections (I'll call 'em "bugs") that I've found are documented
in the README.cygwin32 file.

--Chuck (aka C.Wilson)

P.S. Sorry for the delay in responding to your email; I've been offline
for a week.

* Re: various 'cywin1.dll' tested with PERL's 'Configure' script.
@ 1999-06-30 22:10     ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10     ` David Young
From: David Young @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Samy Alex ZAIMI
From: Samy Alex ZAIMI @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The following may not be of any help for the perl configure problem.
I'm writing only about the ash heredoc problem.

On Jun 03 1999 at 07:21AM +0000, Samy Alex ZAIMI wrote:

> Since I received no answers, I had to dig a bit. I found out that
> one of the problems is related to the way (a)sh.exe handles so
> called 'here documents'.  The version of 'sh.exe' I have is dated
> [...] May be it is too old, is there a new ash arround ?

The ash distributed with Cygwin is from Debian Linux with some local
changes by Cygnus. Last year I looked around but did not find a
better alternative. I incorporated some Debian patches while working
on the infamous "Win95 'make' bug" but it didn't seem to help.

> Lately, Glenn Spell posted (1999/05/03/13:02:39, Heredocs with ash
> on Win95) that such problems disappeared when he used the 19990502
> cygwin1.dll.  Well, he didn't receive many answers either (or he
> did but it was privately).

I received no response. Later, I found that the ash heredoc problem
was corrected in the 990325 cygwin1.dll, probably in the changes made
by Chris documented in Changelog on "Mar 24, 1999". (There's also a
reference to Win95/98 in Changelog on "Mar 21, 1999".)

> By the way, I tried also the snapshot from 19990601, but my shell
> blew up [...]

From 990325, I have to get up to 990524 to find a stable DLL. The

@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zaimi; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, zaimi, cygwin

> SUGGESTION: Upgrade to at least Win98, but if at all possible switch to WinNT!!
>
> ST: Linux advocates, we already know that you'd suggest switching linux.

Linux advocates suggest switching to Linux but they are using Windows, that's why they
are here.  Poor way of campaining for Linux :-)

* Re: various 'cywin1.dll' tested with PERL's 'Configure' script.
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin users

--- Ian Zimmerman <itz@lbin.com> wrote:
> Glenn Spell wrote:
-8<-

> Why do we need ash anyway - what's the trouble with using just bash as
> sh?  I tried using ash several times on my Linux boot floppies to save
> space, but I always concluded it wasn't worth the trouble, bash is just
> so much better even for noninteractive use.  Instead I saved space by
> not including any executables that had a corresponding bash built-in,
> and rewriting several others as scripts.

Bash is a heavyweight and slows down processing.  Ash was included only
beginning with b19.  So, you can do as you did if you don't need the processing
speed.  Personally I prefer having the extra speed from the lighter ash package.
===
YAWIA,
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zaimi, cygwin

--- Samy Alex ZAIMI <zaimi@kiwi.iamp.tohoku.ac.jp> wrote:
-8<-
> Anyway, I would appreciate very much if someone
> explains me what I am missing here.
> May be it is a good opportunity to recapitulate
> everything about versions of (a)sh.exe, use of
> (no)tty, versions of cygwin1.dll ...
> (if possible within the frame of W95).
-8<-

Hmm.  You didn't mention which release of Win95 you're using.  How about the
USB patch from MS, do you have it installed?  Win95 is a deprecated and broken
OS, there will be no upgrades for it from MS.  The Jan 15th snapshot was an
effort by DJ to get cygwin to run as smoothly as possible on Win95 by working
around the bugs within the OS and IMHO will be the last time that Win95 will be
given special attention unless some user wishes to contribute fixes.

How about Win98 users?  I don't remember seeing complaints of this nature from
Win98 users and definitely not from WinNT users.

@ 1999-06-30 22:10     ` qztf7k
From: qztf7k @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: cygwin, zaimi, earnie_boyd

        Well if we are here, and if we are using Winblows instead of Linux, is
because we have to use it at work!!!

        I am here to implement GNU software on Windows, show it to my boss, and
tell him that this is just a demo of what could be done on Linux.

        LINUX has already all of this stuff working, and several packages more,
so it is working as Linux advertising for me!!

        If you go to my home, you will find my big system running Linux, and my
wife's little system running Windows (just for some games and stuff that hasn't
been ported for Linux, and really minor stuff).

Greetings, and Long Live the Penguin  :)

On 03-Jun-99 Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:

>> SUGGESTION: Upgrade to at least Win98, but if at all possible switch to
>> WinNT!!
>>
>> ST: Linux advocates, we already know that you'd suggest switching linux.
>>

> Linux advocates suggest switching to Linux but they are using Windows, that's
> why they
> are here.  Poor way of campaining for Linux :-)
>

> --

---
Hugo Gayosso
Controls Process Support
Electronics Integration and Software
GM Powertrain
Brighton, MI
USA

E-Mail: qztf7k@powertrain.mpg.gm.com
 Phone: (810) 220-2635
   Fax: (810) 220-2663

* Re: various 'cywin1.dll' tested with PERL's 'Configure' script.
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, zaimi, cygwin

In a message dated 99-06-03 08:29:26 EDT, earnie_boyd@yahoo.com writes:

<< The Jan 15th snapshot was an
 effort by DJ to get cygwin to run as smoothly as possible on Win95 by working
 around the bugs within the OS and IMHO will be the last time that Win95 will
be
 given special attention unless some user wishes to contribute fixes.

 How about Win98 users?  I don't remember seeing complaints of this nature
from
 Win98 users and definitely not from WinNT users.

 SUGGESTION: Upgrade to at least Win98, but if at all possible switch to
WinNT!!

 ST: Linux advocates, we already know that you'd suggest switching linux. >>
In my experience, the most recent snapshots are best with W95, but there is
the issue of the changed implementation of ctype.  I'm running Win2K and
Win95 now, with cygwin installed separately on each (W2K on NTFS; cygwin not
working with W2K on FAT).  Cygwin definitely runs better for me on W2K than
on NT.  As for linux, I'm debating whether to spend the money to try Caldera
with Partition Magic, so I can have 3 OS's mostly able to work in each
others' partitions.

Tim
tprince@computer.org

From: Ian Zimmerman @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

"Suhaib M. Siddiqi" wrote:

> >         Well if we are here, and if we are using Winblows instead of Linux, is
> > because we have to use it at work!!!
> >
> >         I am here to implement GNU software on Windows, show it to my boss, and
> > tell him that this is just a demo of what could be done on Linux.
>
> For that I will not spend weeks and months.  I would rather install Linux on a laptop and do the demo to boss :-)

Assuming you can AFFORD a laptop.  If I had the money, I'd quit my job
and look for another one that wouldn't require me to use Windows.

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qztf7k; +Cc: cygwin, zaimi, earnie_boyd

>         Well if we are here, and if we are using Winblows instead of Linux, is
> because we have to use it at work!!!
>
>         I am here to implement GNU software on Windows, show it to my boss, and
> tell him that this is just a demo of what could be done on Linux.

For that I will not spend weeks and months.  I would rather install Linux on a laptop and do the demo to boss :-)

In my opinion the purpose of Cygwin is to provide UNIX software to a much bigger community of Windows users :-)

Suhaib

>         LINUX has already all of this stuff working, and several packages more,
> so it is working as Linux advertising for me!!
>
>         If you go to my home, you will find my big system running Linux, and my
> wife's little system running Windows (just for some games and stuff that hasn't
> been ported for Linux, and really minor stuff).

If you go to my home you find Windows and Linux running on both the Systems, mine and my wife :-0
This way we can benefit from best of the both OS :-)

--Suhaib

@ 1999-06-03 17:49 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-06-03 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, zaimi, cygwin

@ 1999-06-03 11:10 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-03 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin users

--- Ian Zimmerman <itz@lbin.com> wrote:
-8<-

@ 1999-06-03  9:19       ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 1999-06-03  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-03  5:53     ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-06-03  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qztf7k; +Cc: cygwin, zaimi, earnie_boyd

@ 1999-06-03  5:45   ` qztf7k
From: qztf7k @ 1999-06-03  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: cygwin, zaimi, earnie_boyd

        Well if we are here, and if we are using Winblows instead of Linux, is
because we have to use it at work!!!

        I am here to implement GNU software on Windows, show it to my boss, and
tell him that this is just a demo of what could be done on Linux.

        LINUX has already all of this stuff working, and several packages more,
so it is working as Linux advertising for me!!

        If you go to my home, you will find my big system running Linux, and my
wife's little system running Windows (just for some games and stuff that hasn't
been ported for Linux, and really minor stuff).

Greetings, and Long Live the Penguin  :)

On 03-Jun-99 Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:

>> SUGGESTION: Upgrade to at least Win98, but if at all possible switch to
>> WinNT!!
>>
>> ST: Linux advocates, we already know that you'd suggest switching linux.
>>

> Linux advocates suggest switching to Linux but they are using Windows, that's
> why they
> are here.  Poor way of campaining for Linux :-)
>

> --

---

@ 1999-06-03  5:34 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-06-03  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)