* Beeping in bash. (Again)
@ 1999-06-01 18:12 Eric Pree
From: Eric Pree @ 1999-06-01 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi guys!  I tried running bash in rxvt like someone suggested, but it does
some funny things with Control-\, i.e., I can't stop a program that's gotten
away from me.

So, I'm back to running it in a dos box, and the beeping is back.  Any idea
how to turn it off?

Thanks

--Eric

* Beeping in bash. (Again)
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Eric Pree
From: Eric Pree @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi guys!  I tried running bash in rxvt like someone suggested, but it does
some funny things with Control-\, i.e., I can't stop a program that's gotten
away from me.

So, I'm back to running it in a dos box, and the beeping is back.  Any idea
how to turn it off?

Thanks

--Eric

* RE: Beeping in bash. (Again)
@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Chet Ramey
From: Chet Ramey @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: epree, cygwin

> --- Eric Pree <epree@softhome.net> wrote:
> > Like Keith, I have tried that.  Still beeps.  I guess I'll just switch
> > shells if bash isn't going to play nice.
>
> It works well for me or I wouldn't have posted it.  Once you have the .inputrc
> file in your HOME directory then you must restart bash or C-x C-r.  Do you have
> a HOME environment variable?

You can also use the `bind' builtin to have the change take effect immediately:

	bind 'set bell-style none'

( ``Discere est Dolere'' -- chet)

Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University	Internet: chet@po.CWRU.Edu

* RE: Beeping in bash. (Again)
@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Eric Pree

From: Eric Pree @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, chet; +Cc: cygwin

Bingo!  Thanks Chet!  bind 'set bell-style none' fixed it.

* RE: Beeping in bash. (Again)
@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Pierre A. Humblet
From: Pierre A. Humblet @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, Christian Mallwitz, cygwin

At 10:06 AM 6/2/99 -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> > Oh, it's always an issue.  I have text mounts but my .inputrc
>> > file contains no
>> > \r characters.  This could well indeed be the reason that it
>> > works for some and
>> > not others.
>>
>> If that's the reason why my .inputrc never works I f... up.
>>
>> My home directory is mounted text!=binary. Both my .bashrc and .inputrc
>> contain \r but my .bashrc works fine ...
>>
>> THIS SHOULD GO INTO THE BASH (OR CYGWIN) FAQ !!!
>
>The .bashrc is read correctly with \r characters because the BASH package was
>ported correctly.  The .inputrc is read by the READLINE package which BASH
>depends on and hasn't been properly ported.  Anyone willing to submit changes
>to the READLINE maintainer?

This has been reported many times before, e.g.
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/1999-02/msg00909.html

The bug is present in versions up to readline-2.2.1 but it
appears to be fixed in readline-4.0   So there is hope...

Pierre

* RE: Beeping in bash. (Again)
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Mallwitz, cygwin

> > Oh, it's always an issue.  I have text mounts but my .inputrc
> > file contains no
> > \r characters.  This could well indeed be the reason that it
> > works for some and
> > not others.
>
> If that's the reason why my .inputrc never works I f... up.
>
> My home directory is mounted text!=binary. Both my .bashrc and .inputrc
> contain \r but my .bashrc works fine ...
>
> THIS SHOULD GO INTO THE BASH (OR CYGWIN) FAQ !!!

The .bashrc is read correctly with \r characters because the BASH package was
ported correctly.  The .inputrc is read by the READLINE package which BASH
depends on and hasn't been properly ported.  Anyone willing to submit changes
to the READLINE maintainer?
===
YAWIA,
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

* RE: Beeping in bash. (Again)
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Christian Mallwitz
From: Christian Mallwitz @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi everybody,

Cheers
Christian
--
Christian Mallwitz  INTERSHOP Communications Germany
Senior Software Engineer     phone: +49 3641 894 334

* Re: Beeping in bash. (Again)
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Keith Starsmeare
From: Keith Starsmeare @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, cygwin

That doesn't work for me (using B20.1 on WinNT Ver 4.0 build 1381
Service Pack 4) either.

However, I prefer to use tcsh, so I can just "set nobeep" which works
and is much easier!

Keith

---Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> At the risk of repeating myself:
>
> Create or modify the ~/.inputrc file and add a line as follows
> set bell-style none

* RE: Beeping in bash. (Again)
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Demmer, Thomas, Eric Pree, cygwin

From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Pree, cygwin

From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-06-02 18:04 ` Pierre A. Humblet
From: Pierre A. Humblet @ 1999-06-02 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, Christian Mallwitz, cygwin

@ 1999-06-02 10:03 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-02 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Mallwitz, cygwin

@ 1999-06-02  9:50   ` Eric Pree
From: Eric Pree @ 1999-06-02  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, chet; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-06-02  9:33 Christian Mallwitz
From: Christian Mallwitz @ 1999-06-02  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi everybody,

@ 1999-06-02  8:13 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-02  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Demmer, Thomas, Eric Pree, cygwin

@ 1999-06-02  7:53 ` Chet Ramey
From: Chet Ramey @ 1999-06-02  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: epree, cygwin

@ 1999-06-02  7:14 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-02  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Pree, cygwin

@ 1999-06-02  6:52 ` Eric Pree
From: Eric Pree @ 1999-06-02  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-02  0:07 Keith Starsmeare
From: Keith Starsmeare @ 1999-06-02  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, cygwin

That doesn't work for me (using B20.1 on WinNT Ver 4.0 build 1381
Service Pack 4) either.

However, I prefer to use tcsh, so I can just "set nobeep" which works
and is much easier!

Keith

---Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> At the risk of repeating myself:
>
> Create or modify the ~/.inputrc file and add a line as follows
> set bell-style none

* Re: Beeping in bash. (Again)
@ 1999-06-01 18:55 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-01 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)