* Re: Make problems
@ 1999-06-14  5:47 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-06-14  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: johan.borkhuis, cygwin

In a message dated 99-06-14 04:54:50 EDT, borkhuis@xs4all.nl writes:

<< Which snapshot is stable enough to use it? I saw some notes about jan.
 15 snapshot, but nothing about any newer snapshots. >>
The June 3 snapshot has been working for me, on both W95 and W2K.  That's the
last uncorrupted snapshot on the go.cygnus.com mirror.

* Re: Make problems
@ 1999-06-14 15:06 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-06-14 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: N8TM; +Cc: johan.borkhuis, cygwin

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 08:44:39AM -0400, N8TM@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 99-06-14 04:54:50 EDT, borkhuis@xs4all.nl writes:
>
><< Which snapshot is stable enough to use it? I saw some notes about jan.
> 15 snapshot, but nothing about any newer snapshots. >>
>The June 3 snapshot has been working for me, on both W95 and W2K.  That's the
>last uncorrupted snapshot on the go.cygnus.com mirror.

I have no idea what a "corrupted snapshot" might be but when I suggested using
a newer snapshot, I meant trying one of the ones that have come out in the last
few days.

cgf

* new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-14 18:06   ` Samy Alex ZAIMI
From: Samy Alex ZAIMI @ 1999-06-14 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

By the way, I noticed that new cygwin.dll snapshots modify a bit the registry
organisation compared to e.g. 15 january's snapshot, especially the mount
organisation. 'fsilent' key has disappeared (BTW, what was that for ?). The problem
is that this new structure is obviously not recognized by former snapshots, so if
one wants to use the old snapshot again one has to remove the registries created by
the new snapshot in regedit, otherwise mount command won't work anymore.
Any comment on that ?
Is this new registry organisation stable in time ?
In other words, is it planed to change or evolve in the future ?
--
SAZ

Chris Faylor a écrit :

> On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 08:44:39AM -0400, N8TM@aol.com wrote:
> >In a message dated 99-06-14 04:54:50 EDT, borkhuis@xs4all.nl writes:
> >
> ><< Which snapshot is stable enough to use it? I saw some notes about jan.
> > 15 snapshot, but nothing about any newer snapshots. >>
> >The June 3 snapshot has been working for me, on both W95 and W2K.  That's the
> >last uncorrupted snapshot on the go.cygnus.com mirror.
> I have no idea what a "corrupted snapshot" might be but when I suggested using
> a newer snapshot, I meant trying one of the ones that have come out in the last
> few days.

* Re: new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-14 18:38     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-06-14 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zaimi; +Cc: cygwin

> By the way, I noticed that new cygwin.dll snapshots modify a bit the
> registry organisation compared to e.g. 15 january's snapshot,
> especially the mount organisation. 'fsilent' key has disappeared
> (BTW, what was that for ?). The problem is that this new structure
> is obviously not recognized by former snapshots, so if one wants to
> use the old snapshot again one has to remove the registries created
> by the new snapshot in regedit, otherwise mount command won't work
> anymore.  Any comment on that ?

The new mount.exe has an option to import the old table into the new
format.

* Re: new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-14 19:01       ` Samy Alex ZAIMI
From: Samy Alex ZAIMI @ 1999-06-14 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

DJ Delorie a écrit :

> > By the way, I noticed that new cygwin.dll snapshots modify a bit the
> > registry organisation compared to e.g. 15 january's snapshot,
> > especially the mount organisation. 'fsilent' key has disappeared
> > (BTW, what was that for ?). The problem is that this new structure
> > is obviously not recognized by former snapshots, so if one wants to
> > use the old snapshot again one has to remove the registries created
> > by the new snapshot in regedit, otherwise mount command won't work
> > anymore.  Any comment on that ?
>
> The new mount.exe has an option to import the old table into the new
> format.

Sorry, I didn't find it. mount --help gives only two options : binary mode
or force mount.
I did that by hand, by modifying the registry.

Another thing, flag settings I understood so far are :
2(hex) binary mount
20(hex) Type auto

I thing I understood the first one. But I didn't understand the second
one.
Is there a possibility to know more about these flags ?
Thanks in advance.
--
SAZ

* Re: new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-14 19:45         ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-06-14 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zaimi; +Cc: cygwin

> Sorry, I didn't find it. mount --help gives only two options :
> binary mode or force mount.

Then you have the old mount.  The new one has more options:

C:\CYGWIN> mount --help
Usage mount [-bfs] <win32path> <posixpath>
-b = text files are equivalent to binary files (newline = \n)
-f = force mount, don't warn about missing mount point directories
-s = add mount point to system-wide registry location

[-bs] --change-automount-prefix <posixpath> = change the automount path prefix to <posixpath>
--import-old-mounts = copy old registry mount table mounts into the current mount areas.

* Re: new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-14 20:04           ` Samy Alex ZAIMI
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Samy Alex ZAIMI @ 1999-06-14 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

DJ Delorie a écrit :

> > Sorry, I didn't find it. mount --help gives only two options :
> > binary mode or force mount.
>
> Then you have the old mount.  The new one has more options:
>
> C:\CYGWIN> mount --help
> Usage mount [-bfs] <win32path> <posixpath>
> -b = text files are equivalent to binary files (newline = \n)
> -f = force mount, don't warn about missing mount point directories
> -s = add mount point to system-wide registry location
>
> [-bs] --change-automount-prefix <posixpath> = change the automount path prefix to <posixpath>
> --import-old-mounts = copy old registry mount table mounts into the current mount areas.

Ok, if I go to :
(closest_cygwin_ftp_mirror_site)/pub/sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/latest/src-by-top-dir/
do I have to download the whole stuff, or just a few of them ?
If I download the whole thing, would it mean that I upgrade my 20.1 distro to 20.1.1 or 20.2 or
21.0 or ... ?

Another question, what about the initial value of "cygdrive prefix" in the registry database :
why isn't it set to empty by default ? (sorry if I ask too much, or if this is not the kind of
question to ask to cygnus developers :)

Thanks again for the replies.

--SAZ

* Re: new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-14 21:24             ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1999-06-14 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samy Alex ZAIMI; +Cc: DJ Delorie, cygwin

> Another question, what about the initial value of "cygdrive prefix"
> in the registry database :
> why isn't it set to empty by default ?

I thought that /cygdrive would make the best default because it
wouldn't likely be a directory already in existance at the top level
of any drives.  Just using slash, is what I prefer personally but it's
much more likely that someone would have a directory like "a" at the
top level of a Windows filesystem so I don't like that as the general
default.

The new automount system is important in that it guarantees that
Cygwin will have a way to translate any Win32 path back to a valid
POSIX path.  (Since we're deprecating //<drive-letter>/ as that
mechanism, we had to come up with another way).

I don't expect we'll change it from how things are in the current
snapshots in the next Cygwin release.  At least, not in terms of the
new mount table layout.

--
Geoffrey Noer		Email: noer@cygnus.com
Cygnus Solutions

* Re: new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-15 13:28             ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-06-15 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samy Alex ZAIMI; +Cc: DJ Delorie, cygwin

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 05:03:06AM +0000, Samy Alex ZAIMI wrote:
>DJ Delorie a écrit :
>> Then you have the old mount.
>
>Ok, if I go to :
>(closest_cygwin_ftp_mirror_site)/pub/sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/latest/src-by-top-dir/
>do I have to download the whole stuff, or just a few of them ?  If I
>download the whole thing, would it mean that I upgrade my 20.1 distro
>to 20.1.1 or 20.2 or 21.0 or ...  ?

You would go to the same place where you got the aforementioned snapshot
to begin with.  Download the DLL sources from there.  Or, just get the
installation binaries which will have the newest version of mount.

>Another question, what about the initial value of "cygdrive prefix" in
>the registry database : why isn't it set to empty by default ?  (sorry
>if I ask too much, or if this is not the kind of question to ask to
>cygnus developers :)

I'm not sure why you think this should be empty.  The value of "cygdrive
prefix" is used for drives which do not have corresponding mount table
entries.  That means if you want to access the foo directory on your q:
drive you use:

	/cygdrive/q/foo

cgf

* Re: new cygwin.dll (was Re: Make problems)
@ 1999-06-30 22:10               ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samy Alex ZAIMI; +Cc: DJ Delorie, cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10           ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zaimi; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: johan.borkhuis, cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10               ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samy Alex ZAIMI; +Cc: DJ Delorie, cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10     ` Samy Alex ZAIMI
From: Samy Alex ZAIMI @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10       ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zaimi; +Cc: cygwin

From: Samy Alex ZAIMI @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

From: Samy Alex ZAIMI @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: N8TM; +Cc: johan.borkhuis, cygwin

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 08:44:39AM -0400, N8TM@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 99-06-14 04:54:50 EDT, borkhuis@xs4all.nl writes:
>
><< Which snapshot is stable enough to use it? I saw some notes about jan.
> 15 snapshot, but nothing about any newer snapshots. >>
>The June 3 snapshot has been working for me, on both W95 and W2K.  That's the
>last uncorrupted snapshot on the go.cygnus.com mirror.

I have no idea what a "corrupted snapshot" might be but when I suggested using
a newer snapshot, I meant trying one of the ones that have come out in the last
few days.

cgf

* Re: make problems
@ 2001-01-17 10:37 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-17 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yehuda Gan-El, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

At 01:24 PM 1/17/2001, Yehuda Gan-El wrote:
>hello
>we are to run a make file and we get a lot of errors. it seems to be that
>the make file doesn't recognize the environment variables.
>we are running the cygwin environment on a NT machine ( we tried windows 2K
>but it didn't work either ).
>we defined the variables in the NT ( or 2K ) variables setup dialog boxes,
>and then rebooted the machines. and it didn't work.
>the variables we need are: PATH, CPU, LIB .....
>  can you please help?
>
>thanks
>
>yehuda & eyal

Are you saying that you cannot see these values from the Cygwin shell or
only from within your makefile?  Do you run make from cmd.exe or the
Cygwin version of sh.exe?  Perhaps you should send an example of your
problem...

* make problems
@ 2001-01-17 10:27 Yehuda Gan-El
From: Yehuda Gan-El @ 2001-01-17 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2000-03-28 21:08 ` Doug Wyatt
From: Doug Wyatt @ 2000-03-28 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleksandar Miljusevic; +Cc: cygwin

ActiveState Perl doesn't know anything about Cygwin mounts, so
that's why you see the different behavior when you compare absolute
vs. relative paths.  AS Perl is built for Win32, so it knows about the
E:/... format (it does allow both \ and /, and also //e/..., I think).  I
used it some time ago and worked around these sort of problems,
until I discovered that it couldn't do fork() or exec(); I don't know if
it has this capability, now, or not.   For the most part, the Cygwin
port of Perl has been my choice since it is fully compatible.

I haven't a clue to offer with regard to you make error, sorry.

Regards,
Doug Wyatt

* Make problems
@ 2000-03-28 15:17 Aleksandar Miljusevic
From: Aleksandar Miljusevic @ 2000-03-28 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]

[-- Attachment #2: rules.lib.GNU --]
[-- Type: text/x-c, Size: 4926 bytes --]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#       rules.lib.GNU,v 4.25 1999/10/19 05:29:56 nanbor Exp
#
#       Build libraries (i.e., contain no binary executables)
#       GNU version
#       Requires GNU make
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# The following targets arrange to build both unshared and shared libraries
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------

VSHLIB  = $(SHLIB:%.$(SOEXT)=%$(VAR).$(SOEXT))
ifdef SHLIBA
VSHLIBA = $(SHLIBA:%.$(LIBEXT)=%$(VAR).$(LIBEXT))
endif

VLOBJS   = $(subst .cpp,.$(OBJEXT),$(foreach file,$(LSRC),$(VDIR)$(notdir $(file))))

LSRC    += $(LSRC2)
ifdef PRELIB
ifdef PRELIB_USES_OBJ_ONLY
  VSHOBJS = $(subst .cpp,.$(OBJEXT),$(foreach file,$(LSRC),$(VSHDIR)$(notdir $(file))))
else  # ! PRELIB_USES_OBJ_ONLY
  VSHOBJS = $(subst .cpp,.$(OBJEXT),$(foreach file,$(LSRC),$(VSHDIR)$(notdir $(file))))
endif # ! PRELIB_USES_OBJ_ONLY
  VSHOBJS1 = $(VSHOBJS)
else  # ! PRELIB
  VSHOBJS = $(subst .cpp,.$(OBJEXT),$(foreach file,$(LSRC),$(VSHDIR)$(notdir $(file))))
  VSHOBJS1 = \
    $(subst .cpp,.$(OBJEXT),$(foreach file,$(LSRC),$(VSHDIR)$(notdir $(file))))
endif # ! PRELIB

# Comment out for now...
# $(DEFS:%=$(INSINC)/%) \

ifdef static_libs
  INSTALL += $(VLIB:%.$(LIBEXT)=$(INSLIB)/%.$(LIBEXT))
endif # static_libs

ifdef shared_libs
  INSTALL += \
    $(VSHLIB:%.$(SOEXT)=$(INSLIB)/%.$(SOEXT)$(ACE_LDSO_Version_Number))
ifdef SHLIBA
  INSTALL += $(VSHLIBA:%=$(INSLIB)/%)
endif
endif # shared_libs

ifdef PRELIB
# Unfortunately, gcc has to do a link of all of the objects (during which
# it may decide to recompile some of the objects), before we can safely build
# any libraries or shared objects.  Comment this line if no shared
# libraries or objects are used.
#
# I have no idea why this dependency has any effect similar to what is
# described above, so I will comment it out.  This eliminates the VERY
# annoying messages from make such as:
# make: Circular .shobj/interp.so <- libcorba.so dependency dropped.
#$(VSHOBJS): $(VSHLIB)
endif

# Comment these lines out if you want to build both *.a and *.so libraries...
#$(VSHLIB): $(VSHOBJS)
#ifdef PRELIB
#	$(PRELIB)
#endif
#	$(SOLINK.cc) $(SO_OUTPUT_FLAG) $@ $(LDFLAGS) $(VSHDIR)*.$(OBJEXT)

# Uncomment the remaining lines if you want to build both *.a and *.so libraries...
VLIB    = $(LIB:%.$(LIBEXT)=%$(VAR).$(LIBEXT))

$(VLIB): $(VLOBJS)

ifeq (1,$(repo))
  ifneq (,$(ACELIB))
    #### With repo, link in all of the ace object files to the lib.
    #### This avoids multiple instantiations.  We haven't found it to
    #### be necessary with shared libs, so just do it for static libs.
    vpath %.$(OBJEXT) $(ACE_ROOT)/ace/$(VDIR)

    $(VLIB): $(ACE_ROOT)/ace/$(VDIR)*.$(OBJEXT)
  endif # ! ACELIB
endif # repo

ifdef PRELIB
	$(PRELIB)
endif
ifeq (1,$(ace_lib_prelink))
        #### Attempt a link (which will fail), to add template instantiations
        #### to lib files, for example.
	-$(LINK.cc) $(LINK_OUTPUT_FLAG) ace-templ_inst $? $(LDFLAGS) $(ACE_NUL_STDERR)
endif # ace_lib_prelink
	$(AR) $(ARFLAGS) $@ $?
ifdef TEMPINCDIR
# This is required to get AIX xlC to instantiate and compile the needed
# templates.
	if test -s ./$(TEMPINCDIR)/*.C; \
	then \
		$(LINK.cc) $(LINK_OUTPUT_FLAG) dummy $(LDFLAGS) $(ACE_ROOT)/etc/xlc_dummy.cpp $^ $(ACE_SHLIBS) $(LIBS); \
		$(RM) dummy; \
		$(AR) $(ARFLAGS) $@ tempinc/*.$(OBJEXT); \
	fi
endif
	-chmod a+r $@
ifneq (,$(RANLIB))
	-$(RANLIB) $@
endif # RANLIB

# Note that if you don't want to build shared libraries, just remove the $(VSHOBJS)
ifdef SHLIBBUILD
$(VSHLIB): $(VSHOBJS)
else
$(VSHLIB): $(VSHOBJS1)
endif
ifdef PRELIB
	$(PRELIB)
endif
ifdef TEMPINCDIR
# This is required to get AIX xlC to instantiate and compile the needed
# templates before building the library.
	if test -s ./$(TEMPINCDIR)/*.C; \
	then \
		$(LINK.cc) $(LINK_OUTPUT_FLAG) dummy $(LDFLAGS) $(ACE_ROOT)/etc/xlc_dummy.cpp $^ $(ACE_SHLIBS) $(LIBS); \
		$(RM) dummy; \
	fi
endif
ifdef SHLIBBUILD
	$(SHLIBBUILD)
else
ifdef TEMPINCDIR
	if test -s ./$(TEMPINCDIR)/*.$(OBJEXT); \
        then \
		$(SOLINK.cc) $(SO_OUTPUT_FLAG) $@ $(VSHOBJS1) $(TEMPINCDIR)/*.$(OBJEXT) $(LDFLAGS) $(ACE_SHLIBS) $(LIBS); \
        else \
		$(SOLINK.cc) $(SO_OUTPUT_FLAG) $@ $(VSHOBJS1) $(LDFLAGS) $(ACE_SHLIBS) $(LIBS); \
	fi
else
ifeq (1,$(ace_lib_prelink))
        #### Attempt a link (which will fail), to add template instantiations
        #### to lib files, for example.
	-$(LINK.cc) $(LINK_OUTPUT_FLAG) ace-templ_inst $(VSHOBJS1) $(LDFLAGS) $(ACE_NUL_STDERR)
endif # ace_lib_prelink
	$(SOLINK.cc) $(SO_OUTPUT_FLAG) $@ $(VSHOBJS1) $(LDFLAGS) $(ACE_SHLIBS) $(LIBS)
endif
	-chmod a+rx $@
endif

ifdef SHLIBA
$(SHLIBA): $(VSHLIB)
	$(AR) $(ARFLAGS) $@ $?
	-chmod a+rx $@
ifneq (,$(RANLIB))
	-$(RANLIB) $@
endif # RANLIB
endif

* RE: Make Problems
@ 1999-08-31 23:49 ` Lincoln, W. Terry
From: Lincoln, W. Terry @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'c9502007@zeus.hud.ac.uk', cygwin

Title: RE: Make Problems

 - - - - - - - >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (.so extension is for unix shared library)
> LISGGT_A      = ../lib/libSGGT.a
>
> # Standard targets.
>
> all: $(LISGGT_SO)
>
>  $(LISGGT_SO): $(OBJECTS)
>       @echo ">>>"
>       @echo ">>> Making library $@
>       @echo ">>>"
>       $(RM) $@
>       $(LD) $(SHARED_LDFLAGS) -o $@ $(OBJECTS)
 ------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (Cygwin ld does not support that type of shared library
                               (you need to create a DLL instead

> .cc.o:
>       @echo ">>>"
>       @echo ">>> Compiling $<"
>       @echo ">>>"
>       $(COMPILE.cc) $(PIC) $<
>

> ### does not clean libraries!!! (c.f. clean_all, clean_libs)
> clean: clean_rest
>       $(RM) $(OBJECTS)
>
> clean_rest:
>       $(RM) *.bak *.BAK *.delta core *.tab.* *no_pure *~
>

> print:
>       @echo ""
>       @echo "======
> fil/fil_gen/conversion/src/makefile.dynamic ============"
>       @echo ""
>       @echo "LISGGT_SO   = $(LISGGT_SO) "
>       @echo
> "---------------------------------------------------------------"
>       @echo "SOURCES                = $(SOURCES) "
>       @echo
> "---------------------------------------------------------------"
>       @echo "OBJECTS                = $(OBJECTS) "
>       @echo
> "---------------------------------------------------------------"
>

> ########################################################
> #
> # Depend
> #

May GOD smiles upon your porting endeavor,

W. Terry Lincoln                   \      \   _   /
Senior Engineer                     \      \ |J| /
Ultimate Technology Corporation      \      _|E|_
a Tridex Company (NASDAQ:trdx)        \    |_ S _|
mailto:WTerryLincoln@engineer.com       \     |U|
http://terrylincoln.isonfire.com         \  / |S| \
http://www.AngelFire.com/ny/TerryLincoln \   | |  \
ICQ# 39362285                             \  | |
=========================================== ~~~~~
Opinions expressed do not represent the management of UTC.

Warren Terry Lincoln (E-mail).vcf

[-- Attachment #2: Warren_Terry_Lincoln_(E-mail).vcf --]
[-- Type: text/vcard, Size: 725 bytes --]

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Lincoln;Warren;;Mr.;
FN:Warren Terry Lincoln (E-mail)
ORG:UTC;Engineering
TITLE:Senior Engineer
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(716) 924-9500
TEL;HOME;VOICE:(716) 377-3959
TEL;CELL;VOICE:(716) 261-3959
TEL;CAR;VOICE:
TEL;WORK;FAX:(716) 924-1434
ADR;WORK:;Victor;100 Rawson Road;Victor;NY;14564-0000;United States of America
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Victor=0D=0A100 Rawson Road=0D=0AVictor, NY 14564-0000=0D=0AUnited States of=
 America
ADR;HOME:;;100 Courtshire Lane;Penfield;NY;10526-2678;United States of America
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:100 Courtshire Lane=0D=0APenfield, NY 10526-2678=0D=0AUnited States of Ameri=
ca
EMAIL;PREF;MS:ULTIMATE/UTCPO/LincolnT
REV:19990121T133603Z
END:VCARD

* RE: Make Problems
@ 1999-08-31 23:49   ` Satpal Chander
From: Satpal Chander @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lincoln, W. Terry, cygwin

<snip>
> include ../make.$(COMPILER)
>
> CCC   = $(CPPCOMPILER)
>
> SOURCES.cc    =  \
>                 VRMLVisitor.cc \
>                 SGGTVisitor.cc \
>                 TransformNode.cc \
>                 RootNode.cc \
>                 GroupNode.cc \
>                 LODNode.cc \
>                 MaterialNode.cc \
>                 DirectionalLightNode.cc \
>                 PointLightNode.cc \
>                 SpotLightNode.cc \
>                 GeometryBoxNode.cc \
>                 GeometryConeNode.cc \
>                 GeometryCylinderNode.cc \
>                 GeometrySphereNode.cc \
>                 GeometryFileNode.cc \
>                 Vec3.cc \
>                 RotationVec.cc
>
> SOURCES               = $(SOURCES.cc)
>
> OBJECTS.cc    = $(SOURCES.cc:.cc=.o)
>
> OBJECTS               = $(OBJECTS.cc)
>
> CFLAGS                = -DDEBUG=1 -I../inc
> -I/usr/local/gcc2.95/include
> CCFLAGS       = $(CFLAGS)
>
> LISGGT_SO     = ../lib/libSGGT.so
 - - - - - - - >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (.so extension is for unix shared library)
Sorry I wanted to make a .a library with AR
> LISGGT_A      = ../lib/libSGGT.a
Therefore I replaced the following section:
> # Standard targets.
>
> all: $(LISGGT_SO)
>
>  $(LISGGT_SO): $(OBJECTS)
>       @echo ">>>"
>       @echo ">>> Making library $@
>       @echo ">>>"
>       $(RM) $@
>       $(LD) $(SHARED_LDFLAGS) -o $@ $(OBJECTS)
 ------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (Cygwin ld does not support that type of
shared library
                               (you need to create a DLL instead
Again sorry I want to make .a library
> .cc.o:
>       @echo ">>>"
>       @echo ">>> Compiling $<"
>       @echo ">>>"
>       $(COMPILE.cc) $(PIC) $<
With:
all: $(LISGGT_A)
 $(LISGGT_A): $(OBJECTS)
 @echo ">>>"
 @echo ">>> Making library $@
 @echo ">>>"
 $(RM) $@
 $(AR) $(STATIC_LDFLAGS) -o $@ $(OBJECTS) #where STATIC_LDFLAGS=rc

.cc.o:
 @echo ">>>"
 @echo ">>> Compiling $<"
 @echo ">>>"
 $(COMPILE.cc) $(PIC) $<

 <snip>
> depend:
>       makedepend $(CPPFLAGS) -w30 -I$(COMP_INC) $(SOURCES)
> # DO NOT DELETE THIS LINE -- make depend depends on it.

>Please scan the mailing list and read the FAQ about Cygwin shared
libraries.  And scan the mailing list about DLL files.
I know this is possible to make a .a library, as I have done it with another
simpler makefile.
But I don't see how my making a .so or .a library has anything to do with
the fact that it doesn't know howto make a .o file
e.g.
file://MAYA/.../sandro $ make --unix
cd src;make all
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `VRMLVisitor.o', needed by
`../lib/libSGGT.a'.  Stop.
make: *** [all] Error 2

Make version 3.75
This must be a problem with make as it works on un*x machines.
Any Ideas ?

Thank You
Satpal Chander

* Make Problems
@ 1999-08-31 23:49 ` MR. S.CHANDER
From: MR. S.CHANDER @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

----------

[...]

LISGGT_A	= ../lib/libSGGT.a

# Standard targets.

all: $(LISGGT_SO)

 $(LISGGT_SO): $(OBJECTS)
	@echo ">>>"
	@echo ">>> Making library $@
	@echo ">>>"
	$(RM) $@
	$(LD) $(SHARED_LDFLAGS) -o $@ $(OBJECTS)

@ 1999-08-31 23:49   ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]
>May GOD smiles upon your porting endeavor,
[...]
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
><HTML>
><HEAD>

Would it be possible to avoid HTML in mails sent ot this (or any other)
list?
Thanks!

>W. Terry Lincoln                   \      \   _   /

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://aquarius.franken.de/

* Re: Make Problems
@ 1999-08-30 14:41 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1999-08-30 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]
>May GOD smiles upon your porting endeavor,
[...]
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
><HTML>
><HEAD>

Would it be possible to avoid HTML in mails sent ot this (or any other)
list?
Thanks!

>W. Terry Lincoln                   \      \   _   /

Bye.
Michael.
--

@ 1999-08-26 23:11 ` Satpal Chander
From: Satpal Chander @ 1999-08-26 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lincoln, W. Terry, cygwin

<snip>
> [...]

> depend:
>       makedepend $(CPPFLAGS) -w30 -I$(COMP_INC) $(SOURCES)
> # DO NOT DELETE THIS LINE -- make depend depends on it.

>Please scan the mailing list and read the FAQ about Cygwin shared
libraries.  And scan the mailing list about DLL files.
I know this is possible to make a .a library, as I have done it with another
simpler makefile.
But I don't see how my making a .so or .a library has anything to do with
the fact that it doesn't know howto make a .o file
e.g.
file://MAYA/.../sandro $ make --unix
cd src;make all
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `VRMLVisitor.o', needed by
`../lib/libSGGT.a'.  Stop.
make: *** [all] Error 2

Make version 3.75
This must be a problem with make as it works on un*x machines.

@ 1999-08-26 11:09 Lincoln, W. Terry
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lincoln, W. Terry @ 1999-08-26 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'c9502007@zeus.hud.ac.uk', cygwin

Title: RE: Make Problems

@ 1999-08-26  1:08 MR. S.CHANDER
From: MR. S.CHANDER @ 1999-08-26  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

----------

@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Borkhuis, Johan
From: Borkhuis, Johan @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'earnie_boyd@yahoo.com', 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

> ----------

Yes, I did that, before the upgrade it was almost impossible. I also
upgraded my machine to Win95-OSR1, with all the patches available, and
that also helped a lot. Bit still I get this error very often.

> ===
> YAWIA,
> Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
>
> Newbies, please visit
> < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

Met vriendelijke groeten,
          Johan Borkhuis

--
J.A. Borkhuis, Product Manager Public Transport Systems
Peek Traffic B.V, Basicweg 16

* RE: Make problems
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Johan Borkhuis
From: Johan Borkhuis @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: cygwin @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: johan.borkhuis; +Cc: cygwin

From: Johan Borkhuis @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

When I run make I often get the following message:

    0       0 [main] H:\TOOLS\GCC\H-I586-CYGWIN32\BIN\MAKE.EXE 1755
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
    0    9772 [main] MAKE 1755 handle_exceptions: Dumping stack trace to
MAKE.EXE.core

When I restart make again make will continue again, until it crashes
again or finishes the build.

This is vary anoying, because I am trying to build a large project, and
sometimes I get this message several times before I can complete the
build.

What can be the cause of this problem, and is it possible to solve this
problem?

The version of Make is 3.77, and I am running W95

The following data was dumped to MAKE.EXE.core:

36518   46290 [main] MAKE 1755 exception: trapped!
22702   68992 [main] MAKE 1755 exception: code 0xC0000005 at 0xBFFBF9D1
11279   80271 [main] MAKE 1755 exception: ax 0xBFFBF9E0 bx 0x815E5054 cx
0x1 dx 0x815E4BD8
 7829   88100 [main] MAKE 1755 exception: si 0x0 di 0x815E5054 bp
0x255F02C sp 0x255F024
23329  111429 [main] MAKE 1755 exception: exception is:
STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
 3359  114788 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: Stack trace:
 7616  122404 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: frame 0: sp = 0x255EE2C, pc =
0x6100AC27
 2728  125132 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: frame 1: sp = 0x255EE58, pc =
0xBFF7663C
 6500  131632 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: frame 2: sp = 0x255EE7C, pc =
0xBFF859D9
 7776  139408 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: frame 3: sp = 0x255EF14, pc =
0xFFECBAD7
 2653  142061 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: frame 4: sp = 0x255F02C, pc =
0x286
 2431  144492 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: frame 5: sp = 0x255F0B4, pc =
0x61039A2E
 2375  146867 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: frame 6: sp = 0x255F0CC, pc =
0x61054DFC
 2299  149166 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: frame 7: sp = 0x255F0D8, pc =
0x40591C
 2665  151831 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: frame 8: sp = 0x255F180, pc =
0x406589
 2500  154331 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: frame 9: sp = 0x255F1CC, pc =
0x405112
 2558  156889 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: frame 10: sp = 0x255F1E8, pc =
0x40F9B1
 2549  159438 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: frame 11: sp = 0x255F1F8, pc =
0x40F2F2
 5802  165240 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: frame 12: sp = 0x255F240, pc =
0x40E43E
 2430  167670 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: frame 13: sp = 0x255F25C, pc =
0x40F563
 2395  170065 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: frame 14: sp = 0x255F288, pc =
0x40ED98
 3977  174042 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: frame 15: sp = 0x255F2DC, pc =
0x40E43E
 2420  176462 [main] MAKE 1755 stack: End of stack trace (more stack
frames may be present)

Met vriendelijke groeten,
          Johan Borkhuis

--

@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borkhuis, Johan, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

> > Have you downloaded and installed the January 15th snapshot?  This is
> > an
> > absolute must for Win95.
> >
> Yes, I did that, before the upgrade it was almost impossible. I also
> upgraded my machine to Win95-OSR1, with all the patches available, and
> that also helped a lot. Bit still I get this error very often.

Paste (don't attach) the output of `cygcheck -s -v -r' in a mail.
===

From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: johan.borkhuis, cygwin

@ 1999-06-14  1:53 Johan Borkhuis
From: Johan Borkhuis @ 1999-06-14  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
> This indicates that make is dying in a Windows 95 function.  That
> obviously shouldn't happen.  It's an indication that Windows 95 is
> buggy.
>
> You might want to install the USB patch for Windows 95.  It should
> make
> things more stable.
>
> Also, you might want to try one of the very newest snapshots rather
> than
> the 15-Jan-1999.

Which snapshot is stable enough to use it? I saw some notes about jan.
15 snapshot, but nothing about any newer snapshots.

> -chris

Met vriendelijke groeten,
          Johan Borkhuis

--