* undefined references when compiling with -mno-cygwin
@ 1999-06-25  9:36 Jeff Boleng
From: Jeff Boleng @ 1999-06-25  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Title: undefined references when compiling with -mno-cygwin

I am compiling a medium/large sized c++ program using the
-mno-cygwin linker option.  During link I get a lot of undefined symbol
references in libstdc++.a from iostream.o, streambuf.o, fileops.o,
stdiostream.o, floatconv.o, and iovscanf.o.  The references are to __errno,
_ctype_, and _impure_ptr.  I'm using the stl pretty heavily, but I'm not
using any of cygwin's Unix API.  Seems like it should work.
Similar errors in the math library (libm.a).
I'm wondering if the lib*.a files (especially libstdc++ and the
stl headers) included with the cygwin release (version 2.02.1(2)-release
(i586-pc-cygwin32)) I'm using do make use of some portions of the API that are
Unix specific and I therefore won't be able to compile without linking to
cygwin.dll.
I didn't find anything in the FAQ or archives, so if anyone can
help please let me know.
Thanks,
Jeff Boleng boleng@rmi.net

* Re: undefined references when compiling with -mno-cygwin
@ 1999-06-27 21:40 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-06-27 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Boleng; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Jeff Boleng wrote:

> undefined references when compiling with -mno-cygwinI am compiling a
> medium/large sized c++ program using the -mno-cygwin linker option.  During
> link I get a lot of undefined symbol references in libstdc++.a from
> iostream.o, streambuf.o, fileops.o, stdiostream.o, floatconv.o, and
> iovscanf.o.  The references are to __errno, _ctype_, and _impure_ptr.  I'm
> using the stl pretty heavily, but I'm not using any of cygwin's Unix API.
> Seems like it should work.
>
> Similar errors in the math library (libm.a).
>
> I'm wondering if the lib*.a files (especially libstdc++ and the stl headers)
> included with the cygwin release (version 2.02.1(2)-release
> (i586-pc-cygwin32)) I'm using do make use of some portions of the API that
> are Unix specific and I therefore won't be able to compile without linking
> to cygwin.dll.
>
> I didn't find anything in the FAQ or archives, so if anyone can help please
> let me know.

You're kidding, right? There're tons of posts regarding mno-cygwin in the
archives, and some of these deal with precisely this issue. Please at
the very least see my mno-cygwin howto at:
  http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/

If you need cygwin features, why in the world are you using -mno-cygwin?

As for needing cygwin features as well, let me put this on record yet again
-- You CANNOT mix Cygwin and Mingw runtimes. Period.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: undefined references when compiling with -mno-cygwin
@ 1999-06-27 21:55   ` Ross Smith
From: Ross Smith @ 1999-06-27 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mumit Khan wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Jeff Boleng wrote:
> >
> > [ on compiling without cygwin dll ]
> >
> > I didn't find anything in the FAQ or archives, so if anyone can help please
> > let me know.
>
> You're kidding, right? There're tons of posts regarding mno-cygwin in the
> archives, and some of these deal with precisely this issue. Please at
> the very least see my mno-cygwin howto at:
>   http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/

He's got a point about the FAQ, though. It just says to use the
-mno-cygwin flag, with no hint that anything more is required. That's
seriously misleading, and is undoubtedly why so many people keep asking
about this. Why not put a pointer in there?

Expecting people to search the archives is unreasonable until something
is done about the search engine.

--
Ross Smith <ross.s@ihug.co.nz> The Internet Group, Auckland, New Zealand

* Re: undefined references when compiling with -mno-cygwin
@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Boleng; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Jeff Boleng
From: Jeff Boleng @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10     ` Ross Smith
From: Ross Smith @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Dirk Fieldhouse
From: Dirk Fieldhouse @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 17:55:17 +1300, Ross Smith <ross.s@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>Mumit Khan wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Jeff Boleng wrote:
>> >
>> > [ on compiling without cygwin dll ]
>> >
>> > I didn't find anything in the FAQ or archives, so if anyone can help please
>> > let me know.
>>
>> You're kidding, right? There're tons of posts regarding mno-cygwin in the
>> archives, and some of these deal with precisely this issue. Please at
>> the very least see my mno-cygwin howto at:
>>   http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/

>He's got a point about the FAQ, though. It just says to use the
>-mno-cygwin flag, with no hint that anything more is required. >That's seriously misleading, and is undoubtedly why so many people >keep asking about this. Why not put a pointer in there?

For instance it would be nice to clarify whether it's necessary to maintain two entirely separate sets of lib*.a for linking with the two styles of build. As I understand it there should be on the cygwin hand

*crt*.o for cygwin, libcygwin.a, (?)

and on the other

*crt*.o for mingw32, libcrtdll.a/libmsvcrt*.a, (?)

It seems, borne out by experience, that lib*.a for Windows DLLs should be interchangeable - since they're only calling the DLL entry points - but any lib that contains statically linkable code calling cygwin-only entry points or dependent on cygwin semantics through conditional compilation obviously won't be.

I wonder which those might be - libgcc.a presumably? Do/should such libs all reside in the appropriate gcc target/version directory?

--
Dirk Fieldhouse                 Logica UK Limited
fieldhouse@logica.com           75 Hampstead Road

* Re: undefined references when compiling with -mno-cygwin
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--- Dirk Fieldhouse <fieldhouse@logica.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 17:55:17 +1300, Ross Smith <ross.s@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> >Mumit Khan wrote:

> please
> >>
> >> You're kidding, right? There're tons of posts regarding mno-cygwin in the
> >> archives, and some of these deal with precisely this issue. Please at
> >> the very least see my mno-cygwin howto at:
> >>   http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/
>
> >He's got a point about the FAQ, though. It just says to use the
> >-mno-cygwin flag, with no hint that anything more is required. >That's
> seriously misleading, and is undoubtedly why so many people >keep asking
> about this. Why not put a pointer in there?

> For instance it would be nice to clarify whether it's necessary to maintain
> two entirely separate sets of lib*.a for linking with the two styles of
> build. As I understand it there should be on the cygwin hand
>
> *crt*.o for cygwin, libcygwin.a, (?)
>
> and on the other
>
> *crt*.o for mingw32, libcrtdll.a/libmsvcrt*.a, (?)
>
> It seems, borne out by experience, that lib*.a for Windows DLLs should be
> interchangeable - since they're only calling the DLL entry points - but any
> lib that contains statically linkable code calling cygwin-only entry points
> or dependent on cygwin semantics through conditional compilation obviously
> won't be.
>
> I wonder which those might be - libgcc.a presumably? Do/should such libs all
> reside in the appropriate gcc target/version directory?

I suggest that anyone wishing to see the FAQ changed submit the changes
formally to this list so that they can get incorporated into the FAQ.  Yes,
statements made to this list often can be found in the FAQ.
===
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)

* Re: undefined references when compiling with -mno-cygwin
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` David Robinow
From: David Robinow @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--- Jeff Boleng <boleng@rmi.net> wrote:
> undefined references when compiling with
> -mno-cygwinI am compiling a
> medium/large sized c++ program using the -mno-cygwin
> linker option.  During
> link I get a lot of undefined symbol references in
> libstdc++.a from
see
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/mno-cygwin-howto.txt

* Re: undefined references when compiling with -mno-cygwin
@ 1999-06-29  5:16 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-29  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-29  5:00 Dirk Fieldhouse