* Re: Program errors
@ 1999-06-01  2:53 James Woodcock
From: James Woodcock @ 1999-06-01  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 04:07:26PM +0000, James Woodcock wrote:
>>I am currently trying to convert our companies product from various Unix
>>systems.  I am trying to compile one program (that is archaic) & works
>>fine
>>under Linux, Solaris etc, etc.  Under Windows it crashes before it gets
>>main().  I think it also crashes before it gets to mainCRTStartup().  If
>>I set
>>"STRACE=1", then run the program I get no debug output (it crashes
>>before even that
>>kicks in).  Does anybody know what might cause this or how to fix it?
>
>This would be one of the many cases where running the program under gdb
>would probably prove useful.
>
>That's how you debug programs on UNIX and it's how you debug programs
>under Cygwin, as well.
>
>cgf

Yes.  Thank you(!)  I originally found out it crashes before
mainCRTStartup
by running it through gdb after reading the cygwin FAQ.  As it runs on
both
Linux and Solaris I assumed it would be a compiler quirk.  I'm not
altogether
sure how I debug code that appears before the stuff I've written.

gdb tells me:
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault
0x77f0528c in ?? ()

Any further assistance would be apreciated.
James Woodcock
--
CGram Software
69 Glanbrydan Ave

Tel: 01792 518000
Fax: 01792 518001
e-mail: jw@cgram.com

* Re: Program errors
@ 1999-06-01  8:17 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 1999-06-01  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Woodcock; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 09:43:49AM +0000, James Woodcock wrote:
>>On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 04:07:26PM +0000, James Woodcock wrote:
>>>I am currently trying to convert our companies product from various
>>>Unix systems.  I am trying to compile one program (that is archaic) &
>>>works fine under Linux, Solaris etc, etc.  Under Windows it crashes
>>>before it gets to main().  I think it also crashes before it gets to
>>>mainCRTStartup().  If I set "STRACE=1", then run the program I get no
>>>debug output (it crashes before even that kicks in).  Does anybody know
>>>what might cause this or how to fix it?
>>
>>This would be one of the many cases where running the program under gdb
>>would probably prove useful.
>>
>>That's how you debug programs on UNIX and it's how you debug programs
>>under Cygwin, as well.
>>
>>cgf
>
>Yes.  Thank you(!) I originally found out it crashes before
>mainCRTStartup by running it through gdb after reading the cygwin FAQ.
>As it runs on both Linux and Solaris I assumed it would be a compiler
>quirk.  I'm not altogether sure how I debug code that appears before
>the stuff I've written.
>
>gdb tells me: Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault
>0x77f0528c in ??  ()
>
>Any further assistance would be apreciated.

That address denotes a system DLL.  When the program is starting in
GDB it prints the load addresses of the DLLs as they are loaded.
This should show you which DLL is having a problem.

Another thing to do is to run 'cygcheck' to see if it reports anything.

-chris

* Re: Program errors
@ 1999-06-02  3:42   ` James Woodcock
From: James Woodcock @ 1999-06-02  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> That address denotes a system DLL.  When the program is starting in
> GDB it prints the load addresses of the DLLs as they are loaded.
> This should show you which DLL is having a problem.
>
> Another thing to do is to run 'cygcheck' to see if it reports anything.
>
> -chris

Many thanks for your insight.  You'll be happy to hear that my program
is
now a happy bunny.

Cheers

James
--
CGram Software
69 Glanbrydan Ave

Tel: 01792 518000
Fax: 01792 518001
e-mail: jw@cgram.com

* Re: Program errors
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` James Woodcock
From: James Woodcock @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Woodcock; +Cc: cygwin

From: James Woodcock @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor

@ 1999-05-31 21:10 ` cygwin
From: cygwin @ 1999-05-31 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 04:07:26PM +0000, James Woodcock wrote:
>I am currently trying to convert our companies product from various Unix
>systems.  I am trying to compile one program (that is archaic) & works
>fine
>under Linux, Solaris etc, etc.  Under Windows it crashes before it gets
>main().  I think it also crashes before it gets to mainCRTStartup().  If
>I set
>"STRACE=1", then run the program I get no debug output (it crashes
>before even that
>kicks in).  Does anybody know what might cause this or how to fix it?

This would be one of the many cases where running the program under gdb
would probably prove useful.

That's how you debug programs on UNIX and it's how you debug programs
under Cygwin, as well.

cgf

* Program errors
@ 1999-05-31 21:10 ` James Woodcock
From: James Woodcock @ 1999-05-31 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am currently trying to convert our companies product from various Unix
systems.  I am trying to compile one program (that is archaic) & works
fine
under Linux, Solaris etc, etc.  Under Windows it crashes before it gets
main().  I think it also crashes before it gets to mainCRTStartup().  If
I set
"STRACE=1", then run the program I get no debug output (it crashes
before even that
kicks in).  Does anybody know what might cause this or how to fix it?

Cheers

James woodcock
--
CGram Software