* Visual Studio Makefiles
@ 1999-06-11  0:53 William Gacquer
From: William Gacquer @ 1999-06-11  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi everyone!
	It seems to me that EGCS/gcc is slowly but firmly conquering the
win32 platforms. I use cygwin everyday since 1997 and I am more and more
happy with it. Now I see that a real synergy exists around this project (eg.
XFree86 port).
	But usual win32 developers do use Visual C++ instead of gcc. I think
that we should think at creating a makefile converter (from Visual projects
to GNU makefiles and vice-versa). Who feels OK with me and wants to be part
of the project?
	Regards,
	William

William Gacquer
Ubi Studios - Ubi Soft Entertainment

* Re: Visual Studio Makefiles
@ 1999-06-11  8:19 ` cygwin
From: cygwin @ 1999-06-11  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Gacquer; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 09:54:09AM +0200, William Gacquer wrote:
>Hi everyone!
>	It seems to me that EGCS/gcc is slowly but firmly conquering the
>win32 platforms. I use cygwin everyday since 1997 and I am more and more
>happy with it. Now I see that a real synergy exists around this project (eg.
>XFree86 port).
>	But usual win32 developers do use Visual C++ instead of gcc. I think
>that we should think at creating a makefile converter (from Visual projects
>to GNU makefiles and vice-versa). Who feels OK with me and wants to be part
>of the project?

This sound like an excellent idea to me.  If you succeed in this, I'd
like to include it in future cygwin releases.

-chris

* Visual Studio Makefiles
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` William Gacquer
From: William Gacquer @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` cygwin
From: cygwin @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Gacquer; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 09:54:09AM +0200, William Gacquer wrote:
>Hi everyone!
>	It seems to me that EGCS/gcc is slowly but firmly conquering the
>win32 platforms. I use cygwin everyday since 1997 and I am more and more
>happy with it. Now I see that a real synergy exists around this project (eg.
>XFree86 port).
>	But usual win32 developers do use Visual C++ instead of gcc. I think
>that we should think at creating a makefile converter (from Visual projects
>to GNU makefiles and vice-versa). Who feels OK with me and wants to be part
>of the project?

This sound like an excellent idea to me.  If you succeed in this, I'd
like to include it in future cygwin releases.

-chris

* RE: Visual Studio Makefiles
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` William Gacquer
From: William Gacquer @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello
Well. I need some feedback. Which tool is the best one ( I use C++/Java ) :
ANTLR, Flex/Bison, JFlex, CUP? Do someone knows if grammars for GNU
makefiles exist? Did someone try "bake" or "cook"  as a make replacement?
	Regards,
	William

William Gacquer
Ubi Studios - Ubi Soft Entertainment

* RE: Visual Studio Makefiles
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` William Gacquer
From: William Gacquer @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Do anyone of you know what is the grammar of the Microsoft project files/
Gnu makefiles? What do you think about a converter based on ANTLR ( a
flex/Yacc like with a lot of enhancements)

Regards,
William

William Gacquer
Ubi Studios - Ubi Soft Entertainment

* Re: Visual Studio Makefiles
@ 1999-06-30 22:10     ` Tadeusz Liszka
From: Tadeusz Liszka @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Eric Christopher
From: Eric Christopher @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Do anyone of you know what is the grammar of the Microsoft project files/
> Gnu makefiles? What do you think about a converter based on ANTLR ( a
> flex/Yacc like with a lot of enhancements)

I was looking at something like this the other day and was unable to find
much of a grammar.  The basics are pretty easy to work off of, e.g.:

Rule:

target: deps
<tab>	commands
.
.
.

target: deps
<tab>	commands
.
.
.

This gives us:

rule -> target:<sp>deplist<CR>commandlist
target -> [a-z][A-Z]		<--- digits?
deps -> deplist|objectfilelist|targetlist|e
commandlist -> commandlist|command
command -> <tab>command
objectfilelist -> objectfilelist|object
targetlist -> targetlist|target

Combine this with macros:

MACRO(foo, bar)

And you have most of a makefile.

This sound about right to everyone?  The only problem that I have is
distinguishing Macros from targets... managing internal rules would be
interesting too, but basically this looks right afaict.

Comments?

-eric

* RE: Visual Studio Makefiles
@ 1999-06-15  9:29 William Gacquer
From: William Gacquer @ 1999-06-15  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello
Well. I need some feedback. Which tool is the best one ( I use C++/Java ) :
ANTLR, Flex/Bison, JFlex, CUP? Do someone knows if grammars for GNU
makefiles exist? Did someone try "bake" or "cook"  as a make replacement?
	Regards,
	William

William Gacquer
Ubi Studios - Ubi Soft Entertainment