* B20: BUG in gmake  (NT and 95)
@ 1999-09-01  7:43 Groove, Christian
From: Groove, Christian @ 1999-09-01  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hy

I found a BUG in gmake while calling the shell function.
The bug may appear only on N(ew)T(rash) and on 95.

In my makefile, i have the following assignment:

	SPECIAL_SOURCE=$(shell echo magic ; echo tragic)

	check:
		@echo $(SPECIAL_SOURCE)

Calling make check would print out only "tragic". I guess the
magic has been overwritten, because of a \r, that toss back
the internal write pointer back to the initial position.

Iff you exchange the assignment by a

	SPECIAL_SOURCE=`echo magic ; echo tragic`

everything works fine. I can not promise to fix it, cause i am running
out of time with my project.

Groovie

Christian Groove
NorCom Systems Technology GmbH
81929 München
Stefan-George-Ring 29
Tel: + 49 89 93948 271
Fax:+ 49 89 93948 111
mailto:groove@norcom.de

* Re: B20: BUG in gmake  (NT and 95)
@ 1999-09-11 12:59 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-09-11 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Groove, Christian; +Cc: cygwin

I don't see this problem using a current snapshot so possibly it's fixed.

On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 04:43:20PM +0200, Groove, Christian wrote:
>I found a BUG in gmake while calling the shell function.
>The bug may appear only on N(ew)T(rash) and on 95.
>
>In my makefile, i have the following assignment:
>
>	SPECIAL_SOURCE=$(shell echo magic ; echo tragic)
>
>	check:
>		@echo $(SPECIAL_SOURCE)
>

>Calling make check would print out only "tragic". I guess the
>magic has been overwritten, because of a \r, that toss back
>the internal write pointer back to the initial position.
>
>Iff you exchange the assignment by a
>
>	SPECIAL_SOURCE=`echo magic ; echo tragic`
>
>everything works fine. I can not promise to fix it, cause i am running
>out of time with my project.
>
>Groovie
>
>Christian Groove
>NorCom Systems Technology GmbH