* Compile...
@ 1999-09-30 16:39 Kris Powell
From: Kris Powell @ 1999-09-30 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Help!  I have downloaded cygwin for win95.  I am "Trying" to set up my own
MUd on a rom2.4 base.  For some reason, that is unknown to me, every time
after I compile (succesfully) I start up my MUD, and none of the completed
code snippets are in!  Ie:  I had to change the MAX_STRINGS to include other
area to increase the size of my MUD.  After I compile, I run my MUD, and get
the error "MAX_STRINGS reached!"  I have changed the value for the
MAX_STRINGS.  I have also put in other stuff, it compiles correctly, yet
none of them work when I test my MUD.  Does anbody have any suggestions?

                                           Kris Powell (super-newbie)

* Compile...
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Kris Powell
From: Kris Powell @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Help!  I have downloaded cygwin for win95.  I am "Trying" to set up my own
MUd on a rom2.4 base.  For some reason, that is unknown to me, every time
after I compile (succesfully) I start up my MUD, and none of the completed
code snippets are in!  Ie:  I had to change the MAX_STRINGS to include other
area to increase the size of my MUD.  After I compile, I run my MUD, and get
the error "MAX_STRINGS reached!"  I have changed the value for the
MAX_STRINGS.  I have also put in other stuff, it compiles correctly, yet
none of them work when I test my MUD.  Does anbody have any suggestions?

                                           Kris Powell (super-newbie)

* Re: Compile
@ 2008-08-02 20:27   ` r
From: r @ 2008-08-02 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2008-08-02, Brian Dessent <brian@dessent.net> wrote:
> r wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to compile a wonderful program ( command line ) to grab
>> videoes from youtube. It needs newt, a little utility. But when I try to
>> compile this utility I have the follewing errors :
>> snackmodule.c:126: error: initializer element is not constant
>> snackmodule.c:126: error: (near initialization for `snackGridType.ob_type')
>> snackmodule.c:168: error: initializer element is not constant
>> snackmodule.c:168: error: (near initialization for `snackFormType.ob_type')
>> snackmodule.c:255: error: initializer element is not constant
>> snackmodule.c:255: error: (near initialization for `snackWidgetType.ob_type')
>> make: *** [_snackmodule_la-snackmodule.lo] Error 1
>>
>> Do you know if it is an unrecoverable error ( a limitation of cygwin )
>> that will not permit to install this utility ?
>
> In the future, you could save a lot of time on the part of people that
> might wish to help you by either pasting the contents of the above
> mentioned lines or providing a link to the source tarball.  Or at the
> very least specify the version you're trying to build.  Also, a proper
> subject usually helps.

ok, sorry

> The offending construct is this:
>
> static PyTypeObject snackFormType = {
>         PyObject_HEAD_INIT(&PyType_Type)
>
> PyType_Type is an object declared dllimport in Python.h as it's provided
> by the main python DLL.  This is one of those differences between ELF
> and PE, the address of a symbol from a shared library cannot be used as
> a constant initializer in PE.  The testcase boils down to this:
>
> $ cat >tc.c <<EOF
> extern __attribute__((dllimport)) int fromdll;
>
> typedef struct { int *foo; } foo_t;
>
> static foo_t foo = { &fromdll };
> EOF
>
> $ gcc -c tc.c
> tc.c:5: error: initializer element is not constant
> tc.c:5: error: (near initialization for `foo.foo')
>
> A little googling shows that apparently you can supply 0 to this
> HEAD_INIT macro and the field will be initialized with the proper value
> at runtime.  Google code search shows some instances where they define a
> macro for this for documentation purposes:
>
> #define DEFERRED_ADDRESS(ADDR) 0
> static PyTypeObject foo = {
> 	PyObject_HEAD_INIT(DEFERRED_ADDRESS(&PyType_Type))
>
> So, that would probably be the first workaround I'd try for porting this
> library to PE.
>
> Brian

ok Brian, in fact the firs error it is solved so, I'm looking for solve
other problems

* Re: Compile
@ 2008-08-02 16:46 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-08-02 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: r; +Cc: cygwin

r wrote:

> I'm trying to compile a wonderful program ( command line ) to grab
> videoes from youtube. It needs newt, a little utility. But when I try to
> compile this utility I have the follewing errors :
> snackmodule.c:126: error: initializer element is not constant
> snackmodule.c:126: error: (near initialization for `snackGridType.ob_type')
> snackmodule.c:168: error: initializer element is not constant
> snackmodule.c:168: error: (near initialization for `snackFormType.ob_type')
> snackmodule.c:255: error: initializer element is not constant
> snackmodule.c:255: error: (near initialization for `snackWidgetType.ob_type')
> make: *** [_snackmodule_la-snackmodule.lo] Error 1
>
> Do you know if it is an unrecoverable error ( a limitation of cygwin )
> that will not permit to install this utility ?

In the future, you could save a lot of time on the part of people that
might wish to help you by either pasting the contents of the above
mentioned lines or providing a link to the source tarball.  Or at the
very least specify the version you're trying to build.  Also, a proper
subject usually helps.

The offending construct is this:

static PyTypeObject snackFormType = {
        PyObject_HEAD_INIT(&PyType_Type)

PyType_Type is an object declared dllimport in Python.h as it's provided
by the main python DLL.  This is one of those differences between ELF
and PE, the address of a symbol from a shared library cannot be used as
a constant initializer in PE.  The testcase boils down to this:

$ cat >tc.c <<EOF
extern __attribute__((dllimport)) int fromdll;

typedef struct { int *foo; } foo_t;

static foo_t foo = { &fromdll };
EOF

$ gcc -c tc.c
tc.c:5: error: initializer element is not constant
tc.c:5: error: (near initialization for `foo.foo')

A little googling shows that apparently you can supply 0 to this
HEAD_INIT macro and the field will be initialized with the proper value
at runtime.  Google code search shows some instances where they define a
macro for this for documentation purposes:

#define DEFERRED_ADDRESS(ADDR) 0
static PyTypeObject foo = {
	PyObject_HEAD_INIT(DEFERRED_ADDRESS(&PyType_Type))

So, that would probably be the first workaround I'd try for porting this
library to PE.

Brian

* Compile
@ 2008-08-02  2:03 r
From: r @ 2008-08-02  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm trying to compile a wonderful program ( command line ) to grab
videoes from youtube. It needs newt, a little utility. But when I try to
compile this utility I have the follewing errors :

/bin/sh ../../../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-I. -I../../..    -I/usr/include/python2.5 -g -O2 -MT _snackmodule_la-snackmodule.lo -MD -MP -MF
.deps/_snackmodule_la-snackmodule.Tpo -c -o _snackmodule_la-snackmodule.lo `test -f 'sna

ckmodule.c' || echo './'`snackmodule.c

 gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../.. -I/usr/include/python2.5 -g -O2 -MT
_snackmodule_la-snackmodule.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/_snackmodule_la-snackmodule.Tpo -c snackmodule.c  -DDLL_EXPORT -DPIC -o
.libs/_snackmodule_la-snackmodule.o

snackmodule.c:126: error: initializer element is not constant
snackmodule.c:126: error: (near initialization for `snackGridType.ob_type')
snackmodule.c:168: error: initializer element is not constant
snackmodule.c:168: error: (near initialization for `snackFormType.ob_type')
snackmodule.c:255: error: initializer element is not constant
snackmodule.c:255: error: (near initialization for `snackWidgetType.ob_type')
make: *** [_snackmodule_la-snackmodule.lo] Error 1

Do you know if it is an unrecoverable error ( a limitation of cygwin )
that will not permit to install this utility ?

* Re: compile
@ 2003-04-09 12:46     ` Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak @ 2003-04-09 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suetlam Chung; +Cc: Marcel Telka, cygwin

WAG in absence of the asked output from cygcheck:
<WAG>
You don't have gcc installed - install it using the Setup utility found
at http://cygwin.com/setup.exe
you can find it under "Devel"
</WAG>

HTH
rlc

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Suetlam Chung wrote:
> Many thanks for your reply
>
> my command is below
>
> my complie command is:
>
> gcc sample.c -lgsl -lgslcblas -lm
>
> the output is:
> gcc: command not found
>
> Felix
> --- Marcel Telka <marcel@telka.sk> wrote:
> >
> > Nap&#30084;an?d&#28705; 2003.04.08 15:01, (autor:
> Suetlam
> > Chung):
> > > need hlep
> > >
> > > my O.S. is win 2K.
> > > I installed the cygwin with version bash -2.05
> > > gcc 3.2-3, gsl 1.3-1
> > >
> > > My assignment is to generate the random number
> > > using c language.
> > > however, when compile using gcc command it kept
> > > on state that command not found
> >
> > Please post exact command you've used and exact
> > error message you've
> > obtained.
> > Also post output from `cygcheck -s -v -r` command.
> >
> > --

* Re: compile
@ 2003-04-08 15:15 Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2003-04-08 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Marcel,

We like to emphasize that cygcheck output should be _attached_ and that
the attachment be plain text _not compressed_.

Randall Schulz

At 07:29 2003-04-08, you wrote:

>Please post output from `cygcheck -s -v -r` also. Thanks.
>
>--
>| Marcel Telka

Randy

* Re: compile
@ 2003-04-08 14:57     ` Marcel Telka
From: Marcel Telka @ 2003-04-08 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Suetlam Chung

NapísanÊ dòa 2003.04.08 16:09, (autor: Suetlam Chung):

@ 2003-04-08 14:52   ` marcel
From: marcel @ 2003-04-08 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: slfchung; +Cc: cygwin

Napísané dňa 2003.04.08 15:01, (autor: Suetlam Chung):

@ 2003-04-08 14:41   ` Suetlam Chung
From: Suetlam Chung @ 2003-04-08 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Telka; +Cc: cygwin

Many thanks for your reply

my command is below

my complie command is:

gcc sample.c -lgsl -lgslcblas -lm

the output is:
gcc: command not found

Felix
--- Marcel Telka <marcel@telka.sk> wrote:

> Nap&#30084;an?d&#28705; 2003.04.08 15:01, (autor:
Suetlam
> Chung):
> > need hlep
> >
> > my O.S. is win 2K.
> > I installed the cygwin with version bash -2.05
> > gcc 3.2-3, gsl 1.3-1
> >
> > My assignment is to generate the random number
> > using c language.
> > however, when compile using gcc command it kept
> > on state that command not found
>
> Please post exact command you've used and exact
> error message you've
> obtained.
> Also post output from `cygcheck -s -v -r` command.
>
> --

* Re: compile
@ 2003-04-08 14:29 ` Marcel Telka
From: Marcel Telka @ 2003-04-08 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suetlam Chung; +Cc: cygwin

NapísanÊ dòa 2003.04.08 15:01, (autor: Suetlam Chung):
> need hlep
>
> my O.S. is win 2K.
> I installed the cygwin with version bash -2.05
> gcc 3.2-3, gsl 1.3-1
>
> My assignment is to generate the random number
> using c language.
> however, when compile using gcc command it kept
> on state that command not found

Please post exact command you've used and exact error message you've
obtained.
Also post output from `cygcheck -s -v -r` command.

* compile
@ 2003-04-08 14:08 Suetlam Chung
From: Suetlam Chung @ 2003-04-08 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

need hlep

my O.S. is win 2K.
I installed the cygwin with version bash -2.05
gcc 3.2-3, gsl 1.3-1

My assignment is to generate the random number
using c language.
however, when compile using gcc command it kept
on state that command not found

Anyone can help.
( FAQ do state the help it is not helpful)

many help