* Re: why gcc.exe compilation SLOW on NT?
@ 1999-09-30 18:56 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-09-30 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: john.whitney, cygwin

In a message dated 9/30/99 4:35:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
john.whitney@ssmb.com writes:

> but why so long to
>  compile?
>
>  I'm a unix/gcc veteran but am very new to NT.  (I don't dare make
>  assumptions about what is going on under NT's hood yet).
You're certainly not alone in this observation.  I find that cygwin-gcc
builds take an average of twice as long on NT4 as they do on W2K on the same
box at my office, and W2K runs 50% faster here at home on a similar speed but
much cheaper box intended for W95.  And then, of course, linux builds at
least 50% faster than W2K.  Some of the issues are whether the file system is
FAT16, FAT32, NTFS4, NTFS5, whether there are network drives, and whether
ntea is on (when relevant).  Certainly, getting reasonable performance isn't
just a matter of falling off a log.  Of course, NT isn't designed to
facilitate performance of bash and similar applications, so some people feel
they get enough better performance to prefer mingwin.

Tim

* Re: why gcc.exe compilation SLOW on NT?
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: john.whitney, cygwin

@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` John Whitney
From: John Whitney @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hey Folks,

I didn't expect my "helloworld.c" program to take 10 minutes to compile
via cygwin's gcc.exe (version egcs-2.91.57) on my NT machine.  The
compile did complete and the resulting exe does run, but why so long to
compile?

I'm a unix/gcc veteran but am very new to NT.  (I don't dare make
assumptions about what is going on under NT's hood yet).

Below is my program.  I used a command line like "gcc.exe -o hello.exe
helloworld.c" in bash and in the dos shell.  Both were slow.  From bash,
the ps command showed something called collect2.exe running along with
gcc.exe.  Sorry, I don't know if collect2.exe is relevant.

The NT machine is a late-model, multiuser, lightly used, heavyduty
server (ie, LOTS of memory).

------------
#include <stdio.h>

int
main(int argc, char **argv)
{
 printf("hello world, %s\n", argv[argc-1]);
}
-----------

Thanks in advance for any insights,

John Whitney

john.whitney_a@t_ssmb.com

* Re: why gcc.exe compilation SLOW on NT?
@ 1999-09-30 23:42   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Whitney; +Cc: cygwin

John Whitney <john.whitney@ssmb.com> writes:
> Hey Folks,
>
> I didn't expect my "helloworld.c" program to take 10 minutes to compile
> via cygwin's gcc.exe (version egcs-2.91.57) on my NT machine.  The
> compile did complete and the resulting exe does run, but why so long to
> compile?

Check your PATH to make sure there're not network/UNC paths in it.
Start a bash console window, reset your PATH to the minimum necessary
and see if that fixes the problem. A common problem is when you have
bunch of Novell or NT servers in your PATH and collect2 checks those
to find the subprograms it needs to run, and ends up spending lots of
time waiting on the servers. It's not unique to NT of course -- same
happens with Unix if you're using NFS/AFS/etc.

fyi, when you report these problems, it's always good have to provide
more information, such as the output of `cygcheck -s -r'. Yours is
certainly an "environment" related problem.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: why gcc.exe compilation SLOW on NT?
@ 1999-09-30 18:08 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-09-30 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Whitney; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-09-30 16:34 John Whitney