* Re: threads ?
@ 1999-09-01 11:19 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-01 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert A. Mackie, cygwin

--- "Robert A. Mackie" <robert_mackie@mail.com> wrote:
> Does the cygwin.dll support anything like posix threads ?  I looked
> through the headers and found the process spawning stuff.  I can use
> that if I need to, but was hoping that I'm just being obtuse somehow in
> not finding the thread create, and the rest.

And if you had searched the archives the answer is no.  There is the beginnings
of pthreads within the cygwin sources but you have to build it yourself with
the appropriate switches.

> At this point I'm not building mingw stuff, just using g++ and the
> cygwin.dll sort of "naively out of the box."
>
> Rob.
>
> PS: What is cygwin1.dll vs cygwin.dll ?

cygwin.dll is a pre b19 release of the product.  cygwinb19.dll is the b19
release of the cygwin product. And cygwin1.dll is the b20 and since release of
the cygwin product.  The version b21 release dll will still be named
cygwin1.dll.

===
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)

* Re: threads ?
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert A. Mackie, cygwin

--- "Robert A. Mackie" <robert_mackie@mail.com> wrote:
> Does the cygwin.dll support anything like posix threads ?  I looked
> through the headers and found the process spawning stuff.  I can use
> that if I need to, but was hoping that I'm just being obtuse somehow in
> not finding the thread create, and the rest.

And if you had searched the archives the answer is no.  There is the beginnings
of pthreads within the cygwin sources but you have to build it yourself with
the appropriate switches.

> At this point I'm not building mingw stuff, just using g++ and the
> cygwin.dll sort of "naively out of the box."
>
> Rob.
>
> PS: What is cygwin1.dll vs cygwin.dll ?

cygwin.dll is a pre b19 release of the product.  cygwinb19.dll is the b19
release of the cygwin product. And cygwin1.dll is the b20 and since release of
the cygwin product.  The version b21 release dll will still be named
cygwin1.dll.

===
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)

* threads ?
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Robert A. Mackie
From: Robert A. Mackie @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Does the cygwin.dll support anything like posix threads ?  I looked
through the headers and found the process spawning stuff.  I can use
that if I need to, but was hoping that I'm just being obtuse somehow in
not finding the thread create, and the rest.

At this point I'm not building mingw stuff, just using g++ and the
cygwin.dll sort of "naively out of the box."

Rob.

PS: What is cygwin1.dll vs cygwin.dll ?

Thanks for the help I got on my last question.

* Re: threads ?
@ 1999-09-30 23:42     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: Robert A. Mackie, cygwin

On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 11:53:13AM -0500, Mumit Khan wrote:
>"Robert A. Mackie" <robert_mackie@mail.com> writes:
>>
>> Does the cygwin.dll support anything like posix threads ?  I looked
>> through the headers and found the process spawning stuff.  I can use
>> that if I need to, but was hoping that I'm just being obtuse somehow in
>> not finding the thread create, and the rest.
>
>Cygwin is not thread-safe, so it's a non-issue (short answer is "no" ;-)
>
>However, the development snapshots have *experimental* support for thread
>safety, but you need to build with --enable-threads; once you have that
>you see if pthreads-win32 ( http://sourceware.cygnus.com/pthreads/ ) will
>work.

Actually, there some minimal pthread functionality will show up if you
'configure --enable-threadsafe'.

-Chris Faylor
-Win32 Manager
-Cygnus Solutions

* Re: threads ?
@ 1999-09-30 23:42   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert A. Mackie; +Cc: cygwin

"Robert A. Mackie" <robert_mackie@mail.com> writes:

> Does the cygwin.dll support anything like posix threads ?  I looked
> through the headers and found the process spawning stuff.  I can use
> that if I need to, but was hoping that I'm just being obtuse somehow in
> not finding the thread create, and the rest.

Cygwin is not thread-safe, so it's a non-issue (short answer is "no" ;-)

However, the development snapshots have *experimental* support for thread
safety, but you need to build with --enable-threads; once you have that
you see if pthreads-win32 ( http://sourceware.cygnus.com/pthreads/ ) will
work.

> PS: What is cygwin1.dll vs cygwin.dll ?

cygwin1.dll is the dll version 1, distributed with Cygwin b20.1. I don't
remember if older versions (eg., b19) was called just cygwin.dll or not.

Mumit

* Re: threads ?
@ 1999-09-01 15:40   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-09-01 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)