* Windows 98
@ 1999-09-16  2:57 Svend Erik Fjord
From: Svend Erik Fjord @ 1999-09-16  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin AT sourceware.cygnus.com'; +Cc: Svend Erik Fjord

Title: Windows 98

when you use bash under Win98 (Cygwin) you can not use the arrow keys ( →,← , ↑ , ↓ ) (to scroll between commands) - why

with compliments

Svend Erik Fjord
Software Engineer
Lyngsø-Industri A/S
Lyngsø Alle 3.
9600 Aars
Denmark
Phone: +45 96 980 980     Phone(direct): +45 96 980 931
Fax: +45 98 622 394
Email:  sef@lyngso-industri.dk
Home: http://www.lyngso-industri.dk

* Re: Cygwin & Windows 98
@ 1999-09-16 16:48 ` Brendan Simon
From: Brendan Simon @ 1999-09-16 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: 'cygwin AT sourceware.cygnus.com'

Svend Erik Fjord wrote:

> when you use bash under Win98 (Cygwin) you can not use the arrow keys
> (?,?, ?, ?) (to scroll between commands) - why

Works fine for me.

* Re: Cygwin & Windows 98
@ 1999-09-17  2:34   ` Volker Quetschke
From: Volker Quetschke @ 1999-09-17  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi!

> Svend Erik Fjord wrote:
>

> > when you use bash under Win98 (Cygwin) you can not use the arrow keys
> > (?,?, ?, ?) (to scroll between commands) - why
>
> Works fine for me.

This comment doesn`t help anybody!

The problem probably is that you are using the keyb.com in your
autoexec.bat.
Remove it, then the arrow keys will work. You will find a more detailed
explanation in the archives if you search for the "Cursors do not work in
bash
under Win98" thread. Paul Sokolovsky wrote a FAQ entry for this problem,
but
it never made it into the FAQ.

Bye

     Volker

|              Volker Quetschke     ScyTek GbR                     |
|                                   Birkenweg 8                    |
|           quetschke@scytek.de     D-31275 Lehrte                 |
|         FON: ++49-5132-836354     FAX: ++49-5132-836619          |

* Re: Cygwin & Windows 98
@ 1999-09-17  7:14     ` cygwin
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: cygwin @ 1999-09-17  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Quetschke; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 11:36:50AM +0200, Volker Quetschke wrote:
>The problem probably is that you are using the keyb.com in your
>autoexec.bat.  Remove it, then the arrow keys will work.  You will find
>a more detailed explanation in the archives if you search for the
>"Cursors do not work in bash under Win98" thread.  Paul Sokolovsky
>wrote a FAQ entry for this problem, but it never made it into the FAQ.

I must have missed this.  If somebody could repost it to the list, we'll
make sure it gets in.

-chris

* Re[2]: Cygwin & Windows 98
@ 1999-09-17  7:43       ` Paul Sokolovsky
From: Paul Sokolovsky @ 1999-09-17  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin AT sourceware.cygnus.com

Hello cygwin,

cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com <cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com> wrote:

cscc> I must have missed this.  If somebody could repost it to the list, we'll
cscc> make sure it gets in.

      Well, here it is. Feel free to edit it, if needed.

--------------
Q: Why cursor keys doesn't work under Win95/Win98?
A: Careful examination shows that they not just non-functional, but
rather behave strangely, for example, with NumLock off, keys on numeric
keyboard work, until you press usual cursor keys, when even numeric
stop working, but they start working again after hitting alphanumeric
key, etc. This reported to happen on localized versions of Win98 and
Win95, and not specific to Cygwin (there're known cases of Alt+Enter
(fullscreen/windowed toggle) not working and shifts sticking with
other programs). The cause of this problem is Miscrosoft keyboard
localizer which by default installed in 'autoexec.bat'. Corresponding
line looks like:

           keyb ru,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keybrd3.sys

(That's for russian locale.) You should comment that line if you want
your keys working properly. Of course, this will deprive you of your
local alphabet keyboard support, so you should think about
another localizer. exUSSR users are of course knowledgable of Keyrus
localizer, and it might work for other locales too, since it has keyboard
layout editor. But it has russian messages and documentation ;-(
Reference URL is http://www.hnet.ru/software/contrib/Utils/KeyRus/
(note the you may need to turn off Windows logo for Keyrus to operate
properly).
--------------

cscc> -chris

Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:paul-ml@is.lg.ua

* Re: Cygwin & Windows 98
@ 1999-09-21  5:05       ` Volker Quetschke
From: Volker Quetschke @ 1999-09-21  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi!

> >"Cursors do not work in bash under Win98" thread.  Paul Sokolovsky
> >wrote a FAQ entry for this problem, but it never made it into the FAQ.
>
> I must have missed this.  If somebody could repost it to the list, we'll
> make sure it gets in.
>
> -chris

Well, here it a mail I got from Paul:
---
Subject: Re[2]: Cygwin & Windows 98
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:43:24 +0300
From: Paul Sokolovsky <paul-ml@is.lg.ua>

Hello cygwin,

cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com <cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com> wrote:

cscc> I must have missed this.  If somebody could repost it to the list,
we'll
cscc> make sure it gets in.

      Well, here it is. Feel free to edit it, if needed.

--------------
Q: Why cursor keys doesn't work under Win95/Win98?
A: Careful examination shows that they not just non-functional, but

@ 1999-09-30 23:42     ` Volker Quetschke
From: Volker Quetschke @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi!

@ 1999-09-30 23:42         ` Paul Sokolovsky
From: Paul Sokolovsky @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello cygwin,

cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com <cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com> wrote:

cscc> I must have missed this.  If somebody could repost it to the list, we'll
cscc> make sure it gets in.

      Well, here it is. Feel free to edit it, if needed.

--------------
Q: Why cursor keys doesn't work under Win95/Win98?
A: Careful examination shows that they not just non-functional, but

@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Svend Erik Fjord

From: Volker Quetschke @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi!

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:43:24 +0300
From: Paul Sokolovsky <paul-ml@is.lg.ua>

Hello cygwin,

cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com <cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com> wrote:

cscc> I must have missed this.  If somebody could repost it to the list,
we'll
cscc> make sure it gets in.

      Well, here it is. Feel free to edit it, if needed.

--------------
Q: Why cursor keys doesn't work under Win95/Win98?
A: Careful examination shows that they not just non-functional, but

@ 1999-09-30 23:42   ` Brendan Simon
From: Brendan Simon @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 1999-09-30 23:42       ` cygwin
From: cygwin @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Quetschke; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Alvaro (Mandic)
From: Alvaro (Mandic) @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>Hi!
>

>> Svend Erik Fjord wrote:
>>

>> > when you use bash under Win98 (Cygwin) you can not use the arrow keys
>> > (?,?, ?, ?) (to scroll between commands) - why
>>
>> Works fine for me.
>
>This comment doesn`t help anybody!
>
>The problem probably is that you are using the keyb.com in your
>autoexec.bat.
>Remove it, then the arrow keys will work. You will find a more detailed
>explanation in the archives if you search for the "Cursors do not work in
>bash
>under Win98" thread. Paul Sokolovsky wrote a FAQ entry for this problem,
>but
>it never made it into the FAQ.
>
>Bye
>
>     Volker

I would like to encourage someone to put this into the FAQ. Here, in Brazil,
the default installation of Windows 95/98 loads keyb.com in the
autoexec.bat.

Alvaro Figueiredo
alf@mandic.com.br

* Re: Cygwin & Windows 98