* Re: cygwin configuration and registry
@ 1999-11-17 19:11 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-11-17 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob McGowan, Cygwin

--- Bob McGowan <Robert.McGowan@veritas.com> wrote:
> I am using Cygwin 1.0 from the CD, and WinNT 2000, in a test
> environment.  I had a system installed with the OS and cygwin, working
> OK.  I then installed the software I am testing and blew NT out of the
> water.  I re-installed to the same disk, without destroying the original
> install, for debug purposes, using a different directory (winnt2k,
> leaving winnt intact).  The rest of the system is pretty much as it was
> from the original setup (except for portions of "Program Files"
> installed from the NT CD), including the Cygwin install.  But there is
> nothing in the registry for it, for this second setup.
>
> Is there a list of keys that I could recover from the first install, to
> import to the second?  Or some other method to make Cygwin work in the
> second install, without having to re-install it?

The only thing in the registry for cygwin are the mounted directories.  The
initial mounts are created upon entry into any Cygwin program.  If you wish an
entry into the "Start" menu then just do the proper creates of a shortcut to bash.exe.

=====
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
Cygwin Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

* Re: cygwin configuration and registry
@ 1999-11-30 23:39 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob McGowan, Cygwin

@ 1999-11-30 23:39   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob McGowan; +Cc: Cygwin

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 06:15:07PM -0800, Bob McGowan wrote:
>Is there a list of keys that I could recover from the first install, to
>import to the second?  Or some other method to make Cygwin work in the
>second install, without having to re-install it?

The only thing that cygwin stores in the registry is the mount table.
So, if you have not mounted anything specifically, you should be able
to get by with something like:

    mount -b x:\cygwin-cd /

where x:\cygwin-cd is wherever the CD stuff was installed.

You also will probably have to add

    x:\cygwin-cd\bin;x:\cygwin-cd\contrib\bin

to the windows PATH through the control panel.

cgf

* RE: cygwin configuration and registry
@ 1999-11-30 23:39 ` Heribert Dahms
From: Heribert Dahms @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'earnie_boyd@yahoo.com', Bob McGowan, Cygwin

Hi Earnie,

I don't need mount entries at all.
The only really important is heap_chunk in_mb
set to 768, cause 128 is way too low 8-)

Bye, Heribert (heribert_dahms@icon-gmbh.de)

@ 1999-11-30 23:39 ` Bob McGowan
From: Bob McGowan @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

I am using Cygwin 1.0 from the CD, and WinNT 2000, in a test
environment.  I had a system installed with the OS and cygwin, working
OK.  I then installed the software I am testing and blew NT out of the
water.  I re-installed to the same disk, without destroying the original
install, for debug purposes, using a different directory (winnt2k,
leaving winnt intact).  The rest of the system is pretty much as it was
from the original setup (except for portions of "Program Files"
installed from the NT CD), including the Cygwin install.  But there is
nothing in the registry for it, for this second setup.

Is there a list of keys that I could recover from the first install, to
import to the second?  Or some other method to make Cygwin work in the
second install, without having to re-install it?

Bob McGowan
Staff Software Quality Engineer
VERITAS Software
Robert.McGowan@veritas.com