* Will there ever be a new free release?
@ 1999-11-22  4:24 Michael Lipp
From: Michael Lipp @ 1999-11-22  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have not understood the relationship between the cygwin
version that I can download freely (b20.1) and the commercially
available cygwin (1.0). In my understanding of the GPL, all changes
made by cygwin should be made available to us as differences
to the freely available version.

Or is everything integrated in the current snapshot? If yes
will there ever be another freely available "stabalized"
version like e.g. "b21" or will there only be snapshots
in the future?

    Michael Lipp

* Re: Will there ever be a new free release?
@ 1999-11-22 14:21 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-11-22 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lipp; +Cc: cygwin

> I have not understood the relationship between the cygwin version
> that I can download freely (b20.1) and the commercially available
> cygwin (1.0).

The cygwin core is constantly under development (this is where the
"snapshots" come from).  At one point in time, we packaged everything
up and called it "Beta 20.1".  At some later point in time, we
packaged everything up and called it "Version 1.0".  The first we
don't support.  The second we provide installation support for, but
otherwise don't support.  We also have a "GNUPro for NT" that is yet
another packaged-up distribution.

At some point in the future, we will package everything up and produce
yet another net release.  And another CDROM.  And another GNUPro.  Etc.

> In my understanding of the GPL, all changes made by cygwin should be
> made available to us as differences to the freely available version.

No.  The GPL does not require that people distribute software.  It
only requires that *if* software is distributed, *then* the sources
must be available also, to the person who has the software.  If we
never gave you a copy of the CDROM, you are not entitled to its
sources.

> Or is everything integrated in the current snapshot?

The snapshots are only the cygwin1.dll and "winsup" stuff (ps, kill,
mount).  What you see in the snapshot includes everything in B20.1 and
in 1.0, plus more (we're still working on it, remember?)  We never
know if a snapshot does anything else besides build.  We don't test
the net releases (well, a little).  We do test the commercial
releases.

> If yes will there ever be another freely available "stabalized"
> version like e.g. "b21" or will there only be snapshots in the
> future?

We will continue doing net releases and snapshots.  We're just very
busy and haven't had the time to do one recently.  In fact, we're
working on a new procedure that will allow us to put out net releases
more often with less effort.

* Re: Will there ever be a new free release?
@ 1999-11-22 14:37   ` Helge Hess
From: Helge Hess @ 1999-11-22 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

DJ Delorie wrote:
> The cygwin core is constantly under development (this is where the
> "snapshots" come from).  At one point in time, we packaged everything
> up and called it "Beta 20.1".  At some later point in time, we
> packaged everything up and called it "Version 1.0".  The first we
> don't support.  The second we provide installation support for, but
> otherwise don't support.  We also have a "GNUPro for NT" that is yet
> another packaged-up distribution.

What is the difference between 'GNUPro for NT' and Cygwin 1.0 (there is
very little website information about GNUPro NT) ? Does it provide
similiar licensing restrictions on executables linked against Cygwin
(GPL) ?

best regards
  Helge Hess

* Re: Will there ever be a new free release?
@ 1999-11-22 14:42     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-11-22 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: helge.hess; +Cc: cygwin

> What is the difference between 'GNUPro for NT' and Cygwin 1.0 (there
> is very little website information about GNUPro NT) ?

GNUPro is our commercial development kit offering.  It includes little
of the "unix environment" stuff, but is heavy on the dev tools (like
gcc and gdb) focus.  It is also available for a wide range of
host/target combinations (cross compilers), one of which happens to be
NT native.  GNUPro comes with a heavier support package ($7k-100k for
1 year site support with various response guarantees and coverage)
while Cygwin 1.0 only comes with 30-day installation support.

> Does it provide similiar licensing restrictions on executables
> linked against Cygwin (GPL) ?

The licensing terms for cygwin1.dll are the same for both GNUPro and
Cygwin 1.0.  Most GNUPro customers actually use the cross compiler
variants, so they aren't using cygwin1.dll anyway.  I'm talking about
cell phone manufacturers and stuff like that.

* Re: Will there ever be a new free release?
@ 1999-11-22 14:55       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-11-22 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: helge.hess; +Cc: DJ Delorie, cygwin

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 05:42:48PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
>> Does it provide similiar licensing restrictions on executables
>> linked against Cygwin (GPL) ?
>
>The licensing terms for cygwin1.dll are the same for both GNUPro and
>Cygwin 1.0.  Most GNUPro customers actually use the cross compiler
>variants, so they aren't using cygwin1.dll anyway.  I'm talking about
>cell phone manufacturers and stuff like that.

Actually, it's possible to purchase a version of cygwin for proprietary
use.  This is not the forum to discuss this, however.  Send mail to
cygwin-info@cygnus.com for details.

I've redirected this discussion there.

-chris

* Re: Will there ever be a new free release?
@ 1999-11-30 23:39       ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: helge.hess; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-11-30 23:39         ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: helge.hess; +Cc: DJ Delorie, cygwin

@ 1999-11-30 23:39     ` Helge Hess
From: Helge Hess @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-11-30 23:39 ` Michael Lipp
From: Michael Lipp @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-11-30 23:39   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lipp; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-11-30 23:39 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lipp, cygwin

--- Michael Lipp <michael.lipp@danet.de> wrote:
> I have not understood the relationship between the cygwin
> version that I can download freely (b20.1) and the commercially
> available cygwin (1.0). In my understanding of the GPL, all changes
> made by cygwin should be made available to us as differences
> to the freely available version.
>
> Or is everything integrated in the current snapshot? If yes

Yes.  On the CD you not only have the original source to the contributed
binaries but also the patches to the contributing binaries as well as the
winsup (cygwin1.dll) source and the newlib source which the winsup source is
dependant on.  The winsup code (this is what makes up what is known as
cygwin1.dll) is what is mostly changing in the snapshots.  Besides winsup,
there could be possible changes to newlib, and cygwin relative executables such
as mount, umount.  You can find these changes in the cygwin-src tarball on the
snapshot page.

> will there ever be another freely available "stabalized"
> version like e.g. "b21" or will there only be snapshots
> in the future?

Yes there will be a future Net Release.  It is most likely to be named Cygwin
1.1.0.  When?  Yet To Be Determined.

=====
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
Cygwin Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

* Re: Will there ever be a new free release?
@ 1999-11-22  5:35 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-11-22  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lipp, cygwin