* A Question about Cygwin
@ 2022-04-27  0:52 yingxuemeimei
From: yingxuemeimei @ 2022-04-27  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

To:the members of Cygwin

Hello.
Thank you so much for providing Cygwin.
Sorry to ask a basic question.

Q. I am going to use Cygwin to grep the files with the command below. As this will be done in my computer, the files will not uploaded to the servers/cloud of Cygwin by Internet.
Is my understanding correct?
command: grep -i -f FileA FileB > Output FileC

Thank you!

Yingxue QI

* Re: A Question about Cygwin
@ 2022-04-27  1:03 ` Eric Adams
From: Eric Adams @ 2022-04-27  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yingxuemeimei; +Cc: cygwin

Friend,

It is my understanding that you are correct. I have not experienced
any cloud interactions, unless I specifically request such things.

You may improve your confidence in this by disconnecting your computer
from the internet -- remove the ethernet cable, enter "airplane mode",
whatever you feel is required -- and then execute a test command. If
needed, the source code is available.

I have found the cygwin software, and this community, extremely helpful

Best wishes,
Eric Adams.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 7:53 PM <yingxuemeimei@i.softbank.jp> wrote:

> To:the members of Cygwin
>
> Hello.
> Thank you so much for providing Cygwin.
> Sorry to ask a basic question.
>
> Q. I am going to use Cygwin to grep the files with the command below. As this will be done in my computer, the files will not uploaded to the servers/cloud of Cygwin by Internet.
> Is my understanding correct?
> command: grep -i -f FileA FileB > Output FileC
>
> Thank you!
>
> Yingxue QI
>
> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

* Re: A Question about Cygwin
@ 2022-04-27  1:29 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2022-04-27  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yingxuemeimei, cygwin

On 4/26/2022 8:52 PM, yingxuemeimei@i.softbank.jp wrote:
> To:the members of Cygwin
>
> Hello.
> Thank you so much for providing Cygwin.
> Sorry to ask a basic question.
>
> Q. I am going to use Cygwin to grep the files with the command below. As this will be done in my computer, the files will not uploaded to the servers/cloud of Cygwin by Internet.
> Is my understanding correct?
> command: grep -i -f FileA FileB > Output FileC

I agree with Eric - Cygwin does not deal with the cloud directly,
though programs running under it can.  I suppose an exception
would be if your local machine mounts a remote disk drive, and
you have Cygwin interact with files on that drive.  But it's
not like a web browser and web pages that send tracking info
to servers behind your back, etc.  It's pretty much like Linux.

Best - Eliot Moss

* Re: A Question about Cygwin
@ 2022-04-27  1:47   ` yingxuemeimei
From: yingxuemeimei @ 2022-04-27  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Adams; +Cc: cygwin

Dear Eric Adams,

Hello.
Thank you so much for your kind reply!
And I will try with disconnecting the internet.

Best regards,
Yingxue QI

@ 2022-04-27  2:00   ` yingxuemeimei
From: yingxuemeimei @ 2022-04-27  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moss; +Cc: cygwin

Dear Eliot Moss,

Hello.
Thank you very much for your suggestion!
I’m running the command in the local machine with the local drive(drive c), it seems this will not deal with the cloud. ^_^

Best regards,
Yingxue QI