* Cygwin on Win10 much slower than Win7
@ 2017-11-01 14:50 Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2017-11-01 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Since migrating from a Windows 7 laptop to one with Windows
10, I've noticed a significant speed decrease in opening a
mintty/bash window from about 0.5s to 3.5s.

I've narrowed it down to two bottlenecks in .bash_profile:
to "cygpath" and "source".

Each invocation of cygpath on Win10 takes about 0.12s while
on Win7 takes only 0.016s. Both are running 64-bit Cygwin
2.9.0, and cygpath version 2.9.0.

The files being sourced are the same, but for example, one
file, .bash_aliases, only contains alias statements and a
few variable assignments. On Win7, "time" says it takes
0.000s, but on Win10 it takes 0.023s.

The Win7 CPU is "i7-4600M @ 2.90 GHz 2.90 GHz" while the
Win10 CPU is "i7-6600U @ 2.60 GHz 2.81 GHz". I can't imagine
this difference accounts for a 10x speed difference. Also the
Win10 machine has an SSD compared to the Win7 machine's SCSI
hard disk, which would favor the Win10 machine.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed such a thing or could
account for this speed difference. Can I simply blame Windows
10?

--Ken Nellis

* Re: Cygwin on Win10 much slower than Win7
@ 2017-11-02 13:36 ` Erik Bray
From: Erik Bray @ 2017-11-02 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> Since migrating from a Windows 7 laptop to one with Windows
> 10, I've noticed a significant speed decrease in opening a
> mintty/bash window from about 0.5s to 3.5s.
>
> I've narrowed it down to two bottlenecks in .bash_profile:
> to "cygpath" and "source".
>
> Each invocation of cygpath on Win10 takes about 0.12s while
> on Win7 takes only 0.016s. Both are running 64-bit Cygwin
> 2.9.0, and cygpath version 2.9.0.
>
> The files being sourced are the same, but for example, one
> file, .bash_aliases, only contains alias statements and a
> few variable assignments. On Win7, "time" says it takes
> 0.000s, but on Win10 it takes 0.023s.
>
> The Win7 CPU is "i7-4600M @ 2.90 GHz 2.90 GHz" while the
> Win10 CPU is "i7-6600U @ 2.60 GHz 2.81 GHz". I can't imagine
> this difference accounts for a 10x speed difference. Also the
> Win10 machine has an SSD compared to the Win7 machine's SCSI
> hard disk, which would favor the Win10 machine.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else noticed such a thing or could
> account for this speed difference. Can I simply blame Windows
> 10?

There could be a real issue here, but for what it's worth I haven't
noticed such extreme slowdown.  But I don't have a Windows 7 machine
to compare to.  I upgrade the one I'm on now from Windows 7 to Windows
10 over a year ago, so if there ever was a difference maybe I just got
use to it and didn't notice.

I don't recall any major issues when I first upgraded either though  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

* Re: Cygwin on Win10 much slower than Win7
@ 2017-11-02 13:41   ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-11-02 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/2/2017 9:36 AM, Erik Bray wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
>> Since migrating from a Windows 7 laptop to one with Windows
>> 10, I've noticed a significant speed decrease in opening a
>> mintty/bash window from about 0.5s to 3.5s.
>>
>> I've narrowed it down to two bottlenecks in .bash_profile:
>> to "cygpath" and "source".
>>
>> Each invocation of cygpath on Win10 takes about 0.12s while
>> on Win7 takes only 0.016s. Both are running 64-bit Cygwin
>> 2.9.0, and cygpath version 2.9.0.
>>
>> The files being sourced are the same, but for example, one
>> file, .bash_aliases, only contains alias statements and a
>> few variable assignments. On Win7, "time" says it takes
>> 0.000s, but on Win10 it takes 0.023s.
>>
>> The Win7 CPU is "i7-4600M @ 2.90 GHz 2.90 GHz" while the
>> Win10 CPU is "i7-6600U @ 2.60 GHz 2.81 GHz". I can't imagine
>> this difference accounts for a 10x speed difference. Also the
>> Win10 machine has an SSD compared to the Win7 machine's SCSI
>> hard disk, which would favor the Win10 machine.
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone else noticed such a thing or could
>> account for this speed difference. Can I simply blame Windows
>> 10?
>
> There could be a real issue here, but for what it's worth I haven't
> noticed such extreme slowdown.  But I don't have a Windows 7 machine
> to compare to.  I upgrade the one I'm on now from Windows 7 to Windows
> 10 over a year ago, so if there ever was a difference maybe I just got
> use to it and didn't notice.

Maybe a network drive connection timeout issue.  Are all of the drives
that were mapped in Win7 still reachable in Win10?

> I don't recall any major issues when I first upgraded either though  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't recall any either.

--
cyg Simple

* RE: Cygwin on Win10 much slower than Win7
@ 2017-11-02 16:44     ` Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2017-11-02 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8", Size: 2587 bytes --]

From: cyg Simple
> On 11/2/2017 9:36 AM, Erik Bray wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> >> Since migrating from a Windows 7 laptop to one with Windows 10, I've
> >> noticed a significant speed decrease in opening a mintty/bash window
> >> from about 0.5s to 3.5s.
> >>
> >> I've narrowed it down to two bottlenecks in .bash_profile:
> >> to "cygpath" and "source".
> >>
> >> Each invocation of cygpath on Win10 takes about 0.12s while on Win7
> >> takes only 0.016s. Both are running 64-bit Cygwin 2.9.0, and cygpath
> >> version 2.9.0.
> >>
> >> The files being sourced are the same, but for example, one file,
> >> .bash_aliases, only contains alias statements and a few variable
> >> assignments. On Win7, "time" says it takes 0.000s, but on Win10 it
> >> takes 0.023s.
> >>
> >> The Win7 CPU is "i7-4600M @ 2.90 GHz 2.90 GHz" while the
> >> Win10 CPU is "i7-6600U @ 2.60 GHz 2.81 GHz". I can't imagine this
> >> difference accounts for a 10x speed difference. Also the
> >> Win10 machine has an SSD compared to the Win7 machine's SCSI hard
> >> disk, which would favor the Win10 machine.
> >>
> >> I was wondering if anyone else noticed such a thing or could account
> >> for this speed difference. Can I simply blame Windows 10?
> >
> > There could be a real issue here, but for what it's worth I haven't
> > noticed such extreme slowdown.  But I don't have a Windows 7 machine
> > to compare to.  I upgrade the one I'm on now from Windows 7 to Windows
> > 10 over a year ago, so if there ever was a difference maybe I just got
> > use to it and didn't notice.
> >

> Maybe a network drive connection timeout issue.  Are all of the drives
> that were mapped in Win7 still reachable in Win10?
>
> > I don't recall any major issues when I first upgraded either though
> > ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
> >

> I don't recall any either.
>
> --
> cyg Simple

Yes, I dismounted all but one and same network drive on both machines,
and got the same results. The (faster) Win7 machine's network drive is
connected over WiFi while the (slower) Win10 machine over Gbit Ethernet,
which would seem to favor the slower machine. I hadn't mentioned that
the timing tests were all performed on my internal C: drives, so don't
think that network drives would be a factor.

--Ken Nellis

\0ТÒÐÐ¥\a&ö&ÆVÒ\a&W\x06÷'G3¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒ÷\a&ö&ÆV×2æ‡FÖÀФd\x15\x13¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöf\x17\x12ðФFö7VÖVçF\x17F–öã¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöFö72æ‡FÖÀÐ¥Vç7V'67&–&R\x06–æfó¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöÖÂò7Vç7V'67&–&R×6–×\x06ÆPРÐ

* Re: Cygwin on Win10 much slower than Win7
@ 2017-11-02 16:49       ` Stephen John Smoogen
From: Stephen John Smoogen @ 2017-11-02 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2 November 2017 at 12:44, Nellis, Kenneth
<Kenneth.Nellis@conduent.com> wrote:
> From: cyg Simple

>> > There could be a real issue here, but for what it's worth I haven't
>> > noticed such extreme slowdown.  But I don't have a Windows 7 machine
>> > to compare to.  I upgrade the one I'm on now from Windows 7 to Windows
>> > 10 over a year ago, so if there ever was a difference maybe I just got
>> > use to it and didn't notice.
>> >

>> Maybe a network drive connection timeout issue.  Are all of the drives
>> that were mapped in Win7 still reachable in Win10?
>>
>> > I don't recall any major issues when I first upgraded either though
>> > ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>> >

>> I don't recall any either.
>>
>> --
>> cyg Simple
>
> Yes, I dismounted all but one and same network drive on both machines,
> and got the same results. The (faster) Win7 machine's network drive is
> connected over WiFi while the (slower) Win10 machine over Gbit Ethernet,
> which would seem to favor the slower machine. I hadn't mentioned that
> the timing tests were all performed on my internal C: drives, so don't
> think that network drives would be a factor.

One thing that might also help is how to duplicate what you are
testing. Even without having network drives etc it could be useful for
people to see if they are seeing speed differences or if there is
something else.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

* RE: Cygwin on Win10 much slower than Win7
@ 2017-11-02 17:15         ` Nellis, Kenneth

> >> Maybe a network drive connection timeout issue.  Are all of the
> >> drives that were mapped in Win7 still reachable in Win10?

> >> I don't recall any either.
> >>
> >> --
> >> cyg Simple
> >
> > Yes, I dismounted all but one and same network drive on both machines,
> > and got the same results. The (faster) Win7 machine's network drive is
> > connected over WiFi while the (slower) Win10 machine over Gbit
> > Ethernet, which would seem to favor the slower machine. I hadn't
> > mentioned that the timing tests were all performed on my internal C:
> > drives, so don't think that network drives would be a factor.
>
> One thing that might also help is how to duplicate what you are testing.
> Even without having network drives etc it could be useful for people to
> see if they are seeing speed differences or if there is something else.

I first noticed the problem with cygpath:
On Win 7:

$ time cygpath abc
abc

real    0m0.016s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.015s
$

On Win 10:

$ time cygpath abc
abc

real    0m0.105s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.062s
$

@ 2017-11-02 18:34           ` Vince Rice
From: Vince Rice @ 2017-11-02 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Nov 2, 2017, at 12:15 PM, Nellis, Kenneth <Kenneth.Nellis@conduent.com> wrote:
> …
> I first noticed the problem with cygpath:
> On Win 7:
>
> $ time cygpath abc
> abc
>
> real    0m0.016s
> user    0m0.000s
> sys     0m0.015s
> $
>
> On Win 10:
>
> $ time cygpath abc
> abc
>
> real    0m0.105s
> user    0m0.000s
> sys     0m0.062s

I have Win7x64 and Win10x64 VM's on the same physical Mac, both configured identically WRT disk, memory, etc. Both were just updated from setup, so are running same version of cygwin. Both were on newly started mintty's, and, in the case of Win7, just-started VM. (My Win10 VM has been up for a day or so.)

I ran cygpath 100 times in a loop (for i in {1..100} …), using the loop variable as the parameter to cygpath. I ran each loop three times, then averaged the times. Thus the times below are for 100 cygpaths.

On Win7, times were .790/.145/.396.
On Win10, times were 1.340/.350/.650.

Not enough for me to worry about, but it might be for you.