* Retry / Continue dialog appearing frequently in setup for dll updates
@ 2022-07-31 11:36 Keith Christian
From: Keith Christian @ 2022-07-31 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On two different Windows 10 machines, I see the Retry/Continue dialog
on numerous cygwin .dll files.
These are the only cygwin processes extant while setup is running:

C:\Users\keith>tasklist /v | findstr /c:ssh
sshd.exe                      5656 Services                   0
6,996 K Unknown         N/A
         0:00:00 N/A

C:\Users\keith>tasklist /v | findstr /c:cyg /i
cygrunsrv.exe                 3416 Services                   0
6,236 K Unknown         N/A
         0:00:00 N/A
cygrunsrv.exe                 3432 Services                   0
6,308 K Unknown         N/A
         0:00:00 N/A
setup-x86_64.exe             11092 Console                    1
282,596 K Running         10029233\keith
           0:03:40 1% - Cygwin Setup

Setup version is 9.19, Windows version is 10.0.19044 N/A Build 19044.
Setup might benefit from the "Continue" option having a checkbox or
separate button such as "Continue for all remaining" so that
"Continue" wouldn't require the user to click "Continue" endlessly
until all dll's are installed.
Displaying the version of setup in the main setup screen would also be
a nice feature.
Are "Retry" and "Continue" actions recorded in the setup.log files?
If not, this might be another enhancement.
(I'll send these ideas to the setup maintainer in a separate email.)P
If there is some sort of permission issue on this system, what
commands are recommended to troubleshoot and fix them?
I downloaded the latest setup yesterday specifically to see what
versions of coreutils were available.
I could see only coreutils 8.32, no coreutils 9 versions, even with
choosing Full, Test, etc. in setup.

Thanks!

* Re: Retry / Continue dialog appearing frequently in setup for dll updates
@ 2022-07-31 15:07 ` Jon Turney
       [not found]   ` <CAFWoy7GmW4wXd50c=wqh_618MMN8PHR2jWufZn_KSEQ26_jTaw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-07-31 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31/07/2022 12:36, Keith Christian wrote:
> (I'll send these ideas to the setup maintainer in a separate email.)

Please don't.

(I don't want to give anyone the idea that is an acceptable thing to do.)

* Re: Retry / Continue dialog appearing frequently in setup for dll updates
@ 2022-08-02 13:05 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2022-08-02 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/31/2022 7:36 AM, Keith Christian wrote:
> On two different Windows 10 machines, I see the Retry/Continue dialog
> on numerous cygwin .dll files.
> These are the only cygwin processes extant while setup is running:
[...]
> Setup might benefit from the "Continue" option having a checkbox or
> separate button such as "Continue for all remaining" so that
> "Continue" wouldn't require the user to click "Continue" endlessly
> until all dll's are installed.

The standard advice is to shut down *all* Cygwin processes before running setup.
  I don't see why we would want to make it easier for users to disregard that
advice.

> I could see only coreutils 8.32, no coreutils 9 versions, even with
> choosing Full, Test, etc. in setup.

Choose the "Full" or "Up To Date" view, search for coreutils, and click the
arrow at the right of the "New" column.  You should see "9.0-1 (Test)" as one of
the available versions.

Ken

* Re: Retry / Continue dialog appearing frequently in setup for dll updates
@ 2022-08-02 16:13   ` Keith Christian
From: Keith Christian @ 2022-08-02 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Ken,

Yes, I attempt to shut down all cygwin processes as we all have done
over the past many years of enjoying Cygwin.
I opened a terminal as Administrator to shut down cygsshd and exim as
shown below but it did not work.
What could be wrong here?  I am surprised that cygrunsrv was unable to
stop the two processes, even as Administrator.

cygrunsrv -L
cygsshd
exim

cygrunsrv -E cygsshd

cygrunsrv -L
cygsshd
exim

cygrunsrv -E exim

cygrunsrv -L
cygsshd
exim

@ 2022-08-03 19:52     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-08-03 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31/07/2022 17:53, Keith Christian wrote:
> Hi Jon,

What did I just ask you not to do?  And then you go and do it!

Sigh.

> Ok, may I know what the procedure is to suggest enhancements?

Please explain what makes you think that it's going to be something
other than "send an email to the list", like every other cygwin
question/comment/suggestion/bug report...

> On Sun, Jul 31, 2022 at 9:07 AM Jon Turney wrote:
>>
>> On 31/07/2022 12:36, Keith Christian wrote:
>>> (I'll send these ideas to the setup maintainer in a separate email.)
>>
>> Please don't.
>>
>> (I don't want to give anyone the idea that is an acceptable thing to do.)
You might also like to review [1].

[1] https://cygwin.com/#support

* Re: Retry / Continue dialog appearing frequently in setup for dll updates
@ 2022-08-04 12:37     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2022-08-04 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Christian, cygwin

Greetings, Keith Christian!

> Hi Ken,

> Yes, I attempt to shut down all cygwin processes as we all have done
> over the past many years of enjoying Cygwin.
> I opened a terminal as Administrator to shut down cygsshd and exim as
> shown below but it did not work.
> What could be wrong here?  I am surprised that cygrunsrv was unable to
> stop the two processes, even as Administrator.

> cygrunsrv -L
> cygsshd
> exim

> cygrunsrv -E cygsshd

> cygrunsrv -L
> cygsshd
> exim

> cygrunsrv -E exim

> cygrunsrv -L
> cygsshd
> exim

"ssh-pageant.sh" -k
gpgconf --kill gpg-agent dirmngr scdaemon
sh -c "for svc in $( cygrunsrv --list | grep -v cygserver ) cygserver; do net stop "^"$svc^""; done"

Restarting after setup is goin gthe other way around, except GPG services
(they are restarted by themselves as needed).

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Retry / Continue dialog appearing frequently in setup for dll updates
@ 2022-08-04 14:09       ` Keith Christian
From: Keith Christian @ 2022-08-04 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> "ssh-pageant.sh" -k
> gpgconf --kill gpg-agent dirmngr scdaemon
> sh -c "for svc in $( cygrunsrv --list | grep -v cygserver ) cygserver; do net stop "^"$svc^""; done"
>
> Restarting after setup is goin gthe other way around, except GPG services
> (they are restarted by themselves as needed).
>

> --
> With best regards,
> Andrey Repin
> Thursday, August 4, 2022 13:19:56