* ezmlm warning
@ 2016-11-02 10:43 Andrey ``Bass'' Shcheglov
From: Andrey ``Bass'' Shcheglov @ 2016-11-02 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Re: ezmlm warning
@ 2016-11-02 13:05 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2016-11-02 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, andrewbass

On 11/02/2016 05:43 AM, Andrey ``Bass'' Shcheglov wrote:

> Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from vanav.org is not
> accepted due to domain's > 550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please contact the
> administrator of vanav.org domain if > 550-5.7.1 this was a legitimate
> mail. Please visit > 550-5.7.1

yahoo.com has already been doing this for a while, now gmail.com is
doing it too :(

In addition to the link you quoted:

> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690

here's another one:

The problem is that the mailman instance running the cygwin mailing list
(and ALL lists hosted by sourceware, for that matter) needs to be
reconfigured to cope with stricter DMARC rules.  I'm not an admin, so
you will need to redirect this request to the postmaster that manages
cygwin's mailman instance.

In the meantime, the only "workaround" is to subscribe to the list using
an address that isn't quite as nasty about DMARC rules.  It's sad that
more and more sites are clamping down, but that's the price we pay for
spammers.

* Re: ezmlm warning
@ 2016-11-02 13:05 ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2016-11-02 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/2/2016 6:43 AM, Andrey ``Bass'' Shcheglov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yesterday, I've received the warning message saying emails to gmail
> servers are bouncing:
> Subject: failure notice > > Hi. This is the qmail-send program at
> sourceware.org. > I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to
> the following addresses. > This is a permanent error; I've given up.
> Sorry it didn't work out. > > <andrewbass@gmail.com>: > User and
> password not set, continuing without authentication. >
> <andrewbass@gmail.com> 173.194.202.26 failed after I sent the message. >
> Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from vanav.org is not
> accepted due to domain's > 550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please contact the
> administrator of vanav.org domain if > 550-5.7.1 this was a legitimate
> mail. Please visit > 550-5.7.1
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about the > 550
> 5.7.1 DMARC initiative. t2si13659406pgn.168 - gsmtp
> Is it a misconfiguration at Cygwin side, or some new policy employed by
> Google?

I received the same emails and requested the digest of missing mail.  I
didn't see anything that I hadn't read already.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: ezmlm warning
@ 2016-11-02 13:13   ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2016-11-02 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/2/2016 9:04 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 11/02/2016 05:43 AM, Andrey ``Bass'' Shcheglov wrote:
>
>> Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from vanav.org is not
>> accepted due to domain's > 550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please contact the
>> administrator of vanav.org domain if > 550-5.7.1 this was a legitimate
>> mail. Please visit > 550-5.7.1
>
> yahoo.com has already been doing this for a while, now gmail.com is
> doing it too :(
>
> In addition to the link you quoted:
>
>> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690
>
> here's another one:
>
> The problem is that the mailman instance running the cygwin mailing list
> (and ALL lists hosted by sourceware, for that matter) needs to be
> reconfigured to cope with stricter DMARC rules.  I'm not an admin, so
> you will need to redirect this request to the postmaster that manages
> cygwin's mailman instance.
>
> In the meantime, the only "workaround" is to subscribe to the list using
> an address that isn't quite as nasty about DMARC rules.  It's sad that
> more and more sites are clamping down, but that's the price we pay for
> spammers.

But the mail is being delivered, at least in the gmail case.  I'm
guessing that gmail is sending a status to the sender and delivering the
mail anyway for the time being.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: ezmlm warning
@ 2016-11-02 14:52     ` Herbert Stocker
From: Herbert Stocker @ 2016-11-02 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/2/2016 2:13 PM, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 11/2/2016 9:04 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 11/02/2016 05:43 AM, Andrey ``Bass'' Shcheglov wrote:
>>
>>> Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from vanav.org is not
>>> accepted due to domain's > 550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please contact the
>>> administrator of vanav.org domain if > 550-5.7.1 this was a legitimate
>>> mail. Please visit > 550-5.7.1

It says that vanav.org is the domain having problems.
This is not a domain connected to cygwin in some way, is it?

Besides, the website vanav.org and its whois info also looks bogus to
me.

So i think there is nothing to be done for Cygwin Admins.
Am i right?

Herbert

@ 2016-11-02 14:55   ` Jack
From: Jack @ 2016-11-02 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2016.11.02 09:04, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 11/02/2016 05:43 AM, Andrey ``Bass'' Shcheglov wrote:
>> Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from vanav.org is
>> not accepted due to domain's > 550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please
>> contact the administrator of vanav.org domain if > 550-5.7.1 this
>> was a legitimate mail. Please visit > 550-5.7.1
>
> yahoo.com has already been doing this for a while, now gmail.com is
> doing it too :(
>
> In addition to the link you quoted:
>
> > https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690
>
> here's another one:
>
> The problem is that the mailman instance running the cygwin mailing
> list (and ALL lists hosted by sourceware, for that matter) needs to
> be reconfigured to cope with stricter DMARC rules.  I'm not an admin,
> so you will need to redirect this request to the postmaster that
> manages cygwin's mailman instance.
>
> In the meantime, the only "workaround" is to subscribe to the list
> using an address that isn't quite as nasty about DMARC rules.  It's
> sad that more and more sites are clamping down, but that's the price
> we pay for spammers.

I recently ran into the same problem sending to a KDE list.  In my
case, I was using a sourceforge.net FROM: address, but actually sending
through my ISP (frontier.com).  Sourceforge had the DMARC policy that
mail claiming to be from sourceforge.net should not be accepted if it
came from anywhere else.  I think the final solution was for them to
drop that rule, since at least one of the uses of sourceforge is
exactly that type of aliasing.  I don't think gmail will do the same.

You are using a gmail.com address, but it looks like you might have
sent it from vanav.org.  In this case, I suspect your only solution
will be to actually send mail from gmail.com using the gmail.com smtp
server.

Eric's suggestion to resubscribe from an address at a site which is
less strict about DMARC rules would work, but I think the underlying
issue will arise again, as long as you use an smtp server other than
the one from the From: address you are using.

Jack

* Re: ezmlm warning
@ 2019-05-06 19:26   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-05-06 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin, Sourceware Support

On 2019-05-06 13:04, Chris Wagner wrote:
> Maintainers, I have been getting numerous bounce warnings and spam holds on mail
> sent to me by the list.  The spam holds are due to protocol violations.  This
> ezmlm warning is because of: 550 Messages should have one or no Sender headers,
> not 2.
>
> If the list software could be made more compliant or I could be informed about
> some loosened setting on my spam panel.

Contact Sourceware Support <sourcemaster@sourceware.org> [CCed] about services

* Re: ezmlm warning
       [not found] <1557166949.6367.ezmlm-warn@cygwin.com>
@ 2019-05-06 19:04 ` Chris Wagner

On 2019-05-06 2:22 pm, cygwin-help@cygwin.com wrote:
> [...]
> bounced from your address.
>
> Copies of these messages may be in the archive.
> To retrieve a set of messages 123-145 (a maximum of 100 per request),
> send an empty message to:
>    <cygwin-get.123_145@cygwin.com>
>
> To receive a subject and author list for the last 100 or so messages,
> send an empty message to:
>    <cygwin-index@cygwin.com>
>
> Here are the message numbers:
>
>    216505
>    216503
>    216515
>    216521
>    216525
>    216526
>    216529
>    216533
>    216540
>    216556
>    216557
>    216558
>    216559
>    216560
>    216561
>    216563
>    216564
>    216562
>    216571
>    216574
>    216575
>    216583
>    216579
>    216585
>    216586
>    216580
>    216587
>    216588
>    216590
>    216582
>    216584
>    216591
>    216589
>    216581
>    216594
>    216595
>    216598
>    216599
>    216601
>    216602
>    216600
>    216603
>    216604
>    216614
>    216623
>    216616
>    216615
>    216618
>    216619
>    216620
>    216621
>    216622
>
> --- Enclosed is a copy of the bounce message I received.

> Date: 24 Apr 2019 18:35:31 -0000
> From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
> To: cygwin-return-216505-@cygwin.com
> Subject: failure notice
>
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.org.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
> addresses.
>
> <wagnerc@plebeian.com>:
> User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
> <wagnerc@plebeian.com> 69.64.57.52 failed after I sent the message.
> Remote host said: 550 Messages should have one or no Sender headers,

* ezmlm warning
@ 2017-08-14  9:22 cygwin-help

Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 00:00:22 +0800
From: "yejianfei@sangfor.com.cn" <yejianfei@sangfor.com.cn>
To: cygwin-return-172305-listarch-cygwin=sourceware.org <cygwin-return-172305-listarch-cygwin=sourceware.org@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: Request locale for ISO 8601 date.

------=_001_NextPart385618410400_=----

PiBMaW51eCAoYmV0dGVyOiBnbGliYykgc3VwcG9ydHMgZW5fREssIGJ1dCB3aGF0IHlvdSBzYXkg
ZG9lc24ndCB3b3JrIGZvcg0KPiBtZSBvbiBMaW51eCBlaXRoZXI6DQo+IA0KPiAgICQgTENfVElN
RT1lbl9ESyBkYXRlDQo+ICAgVGh1IFNlcCAgMSAyMDozMDowMSBDRVNUIDIwMTENCj4gDQo+IE5v
IElTTyA4NjAxIHJlcHJlc2VudGF0aW9uLg0KDQpBY3R1YWxseSwgdGhpcyBzaG91bGQgYmU6DQoN
CiAgICAkIExDX1RJTUU9ImVuX0RLLlVURi04IiBkYXRlICcrJWMnDQogICAgMjAxNy0wOC0wMlQy
Mzo0Nzo1MCBDU1Q=

------=_001_NextPart385618410400_=----

inux&nbsp;(better:&nbsp;glibc)&nbsp;supports&nbsp;en_DK,&nbsp;but&nbsp;wha=
t&nbsp;you&nbsp;say&nbsp;doesn't&nbsp;work&nbsp;for<br>&gt;&nbsp;me&nbsp;o=
n&nbsp;Linux&nbsp;either:<br>&gt;&nbsp;<br>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;$&nbsp;LC=
_TIME=3Den_DK&nbsp;date<br>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Thu&nbsp;Sep&nbsp;&nbsp;1=
&nbsp;20:30:01&nbsp;CEST&nbsp;2011<br>&gt;&nbsp;<br>&gt;&nbsp;No&nbsp;ISO&=
nbsp;8601&nbsp;representation.<br><br>Actually,&nbsp;this&nbsp;should&nbsp=
;be:<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;$&nbsp;LC_TIME=3D"en_DK.UTF-8"&nbsp;da=
te&nbsp;'+%c'<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2017-08-02T23:47:50&nbsp;CST</spa=
n></body></html>
------=_001_NextPart385618410400_=------

* ezmlm warning
@ 2015-10-05  9:09 cygwin-help

From: litter@null.net
Subject: Re: Bash / cygwin process spawning (?) performance very slow
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 12:28:03 +0200
 5DS9HoJA4HixkumOZh7QeQHjlbelbRAy0BQXvZaek98nivZDXIcHZu8WRknruRZtwIAn3Y1cA
 1m5JpmG8TGNEbKd6aE6ZAvyEX5CsbvHNdDK5wA==

> litter@null.net:
> Wed, 23 Sep 2015 10:52:26 +0200
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I noticed that doing simple loops in Bash takes unexpectedly long under Cygwin on a Windows XP 32 bit machine
> > (CYGWIN_NT-5.1 <machine> 2.2.1(0.289/5/3) 2015-08-20 11:40 i686 Cygwin)
> >
> > I already followed the FAQ advice in trying to determine general causes, and made a 'shadow' copy of /etc/passwd as described.
> > My PATH does not contain references to network shares.
> >
> > Still quite normal commands take a long time e.g.
> > time cat some-file | while read i;do echo $i;/bin/true;done
> >
> > real 1m44.953s
> > user 0m9.599s
> > sys 1m36.865s
>
> #wc t; time cat t  | while read i;do echo $i;/bin/true;done >/dev/null
>  172  172 3448 t
>     3.73s real     0.04s user     0.43s system
>
> On cygwin 1.7.35 and XP32. Not THAT fast but similar to your
> linux-result. I guess your antivirus is interfering. I've configured
> my avast to not deep-scan anything in C:\cygwin\bin, maybe that helps.

Thanks for the reply Helmut,

Although the /dev/null probably contributes a bit to the timing
it's clear not all 32 bit XP systems suffer from this, thanks for that!

I'm not running any antivirus as far as I'm aware of (I do run a Comodo firewall with all "virus" scanning disabled).
Any idea how to diagnose the cause of this? Is there any Cygwin specific logging/tracing to see where it is happening?
I checked again, and it really is the Bash.exe which is consuming a lot of Kernel time. I didn't spot another process kicking in and consuming cycles.

Thanks,
Paul

* ezmlm warning
@ 2010-02-07 14:38 cygwin-help

From: "Richard H Lee" <ricardohenrylee@hotmail.com>
To: <cygwin-return-159258-listarch-cygwin=sourceware.org@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: Git-gui and ssh key authenication
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 20:01:14 -0000

I forgot to say I'm using Mintty. When it asks me for my passphrase it
asks me from the Mintty console I ran the "git gui" command from. Two
things happen here, my passphrase is displayed as I type it and when I
quit the git-gui, only every other key typed appears.

I tried to use it the regular Cygwin shell and it works better. Instead
of the passphrase prompt coming in the shell it comes up in a Tk dialog
box. But this time it successfully accepts my passphrase and
authenticates. But it still won't use ssh-agent.

* ezmlm warning
@ 2009-09-14 10:29 cygwin-help

From: "David Tazartes" <davidt81@earthlink.net>
To: <cygwin-return-154360-listarch-cygwin=sourceware.org@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: Simple bash script is slow to execute - appears to be time spent starting commands like ls
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 13:41:02 -0400

Jeremy Bopp wrote:

While I believe the usual forking performance issue is probably the
largest factor for your problem, you *are* running an instance of
Windows Explorer.  It's displaying your desktop which as you indicate
above is holding the folder containing your work area.  My guess is that
you're seeing those usage spikes because of that fact.  Try working in a
tree which is outside of your desktop, maybe in /tmp, and see if that
makes any difference for you.

I can't reproduce the slowness you're seeing in general however, even in
a directory on the desktop, but then I'm running with XP rather than Vista.

-----

I didn't achieve any noticeable speedup, and the echo | cut slowness is
still there irrespective of directory (no surprise since it doesn't touch
any files except /usr/bin/cut).

What do you say we focus on the echo | cut slowness problem, since it
eliminates lots of variables and is much easier to test.

* ezmlm warning
@ 2005-06-15 16:28 cygwin-help

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:10:24 +0200
From: "Ireneusz R. Janiszewski" <nospam.janiszew@web.de>
To: cygwin-return-108606-listarch-cygwin=sourceware.org@cygwin.com
Subject: RE: nedit 5.4 and 5.5 - locale not supported problem

 > Unfortunately, Cygwin has never supported C locales, since it uses the
 > newlib C library (which doesn't support them).  Are 5.3 and 5.4+
 > linked differently?  See what "cygcheck nedit.exe" says.  I don't know
 > why you'd get different results with the older version, since again
 > locales weren't ever supported.
 >
 > --
 > Gary R. Van Sickle

Thank you for answer Gary :-)

For the nedit 5.3 cygcheck says:

$ cygcheck nedit
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\nedit.exe
C:/cygwin/bin/nedit.exe
   C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\libICE.dll
     C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
       C:\WINNT\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
         C:\WINNT\system32\NTDLL.DLL
         C:\WINNT\system32\KERNEL32.DLL
         C:\WINNT\system32\RPCRT4.DLL
   C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\libSM.dll
   C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\libX11.dll

For the nedit 5.5 cygcheck says (after about 30sek.):

$ cygcheck nedit55
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\nedit55.exe
C:/cygwin/bin/nedit55.exe
   C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygX11-6.dll
     C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
       C:\WINNT\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
         C:\WINNT\system32\NTDLL.DLL
         C:\WINNT\system32\KERNEL32.DLL
         C:\WINNT\system32\RPCRT4.DLL
   C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXm-2.dll
     C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXft-2.dll
       C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXrender-1.dll
       C:\cygwin\bin\cygfontconfig-1.dll
         C:\cygwin\bin\cygexpat-0.dll
         C:\cygwin\bin\cygfreetype-6.dll
           C:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll
     C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXp-6.dll
       C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXext-6.dll
     C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXt-6.dll
       C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygICE-6.dll
       C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygSM-6.dll

Any idea how I could start running the nedit 5.5 with my locale suport?

Regards,
Irek

* ezmlm warning
@ 2004-09-30 11:01 cygwin-help

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:01:07 +0200
From: Ulrich Jakobus <u.jakobus@emss.de>
To: cygwin-return-96961-listarch-cygwin=sourceware.org@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Cvsnt doesn't work anymore after cygwin upgrade to 1.5.11
	required 5, AWL 0.09, BAYES_00 -4.90)

Hello,

 > I just upgraded to cygwin 1.5.11, great that there is a new release. But, I
 > use wincvs to get my cvs code, after the upgrade that doesn't work anymore,
 > cvs just hangs. Doing just "cvs -z9 update" hangs forever, after
 > downgrading
 > to 1.5.10, it works again, anyone having an idea?

no idea, but problem with cygwin 1.5.11 confirmed using cvsnt 2.0.41 with
ssh from OpenSSH / cygwin. This "hangs forever" in cygwin is here:

   .... (cut) ...
   198 15830240 [main] ssh 412 readv: readv (3, 0x22CD30, 1) nonblocking, sigcatc
hers 3
   112 15830352 [main] ssh 412 peek_socket: considering handle 0x6D0
    81 15830433 [main] ssh 412 peek_socket: adding read fd_set , fd 3
   106 15830539 [main] ssh 412 peek_socket: WINSOCK_SELECT returned 1
    95 15830634 [main] ssh 412 fhandler_base::ready_for_read: read_ready 1, avail
  1
   131 15830765 [main] ssh 412 readv: 592 = readv (3, 0x22CD30, 1), errno 0
   428 15831193 [main] ssh 412 cygwin_select: 7, 0x100EFB40, 0x100EFB50, 0x0, 0x0

   145 15831338 [main] ssh 412 dtable::select_read:  fd 3
   121 15831459 [main] ssh 412 dtable::select_read:  fd 4
   116 15831575 [main] ssh 412 dtable::select_write:  fd 5
    88 15831663 [main] ssh 412 cygwin_select: to NULL, ms FFFFFFFF
    80 15831743 [main] ssh 412 cygwin_select: sel.always_ready 0
   263 15832006 [main] ssh 412 start_thread_socket: Handle 0x6D0
    87 15832093 [main] ssh 412 start_thread_socket: Added to readfds
  1360 15833453 [main] ssh 412 start_thread_socket: exitsock 0x648
   219 15833672 [main] ssh 412 start_thread_socket: stuff_start 0x22EC54
   133 15833805 [select_socket] ssh 412 thread_socket: stuff_start 0x100FC734
   142 15833947 [main] ssh 412 select_stuff::wait: m 3, ms 4294967295

May be that helps in tracing down the problem? When just using "cygwin1.dll"
as of 1.5.10 then it works again.

Ulrich

* ezmlm warning
@ 2004-06-08 16:19 cygwin-help

Date: 28 May 2004 00:22:36 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
To: cygwin-return-92552-@cygwin.com
Subject: failure notice

Sender: cygwin-return-92552-listarch-cygwin=sourceware.org@cygwin.com
This mailing list is not for general discussions.  Please resend your
mail note to a more appropriate list.

* ezmlm warning
@ 2001-12-20 23:02 cygwin-help
From: cygwin-help @ 2001-12-20 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: listarch-cygwin

cygwin@cygwin.com mailing list.

Messages to you from the cygwin mailing list seem to
message I received.

I will remove your address from the cygwin mailing list,
without further notice.

I've kept a list of which messages from the cygwin mailing list have
bounced from your address.

send an empty message to:
   <cygwin-get.123_145@cygwin.com>

send an empty message to:
   <cygwin-index@cygwin.com>

Here are the message numbers:

   41001
   41002
   41003
   41005
   41004
   41007
   41009
   41010
   41011
   41008
   41006

Date: 9 Dec 2001 07:50:36 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.cygnus.com
To: cygwin-return-41001-@cygwin.com

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.cygnus.com.

Sender: cygwin-return-41001-listarch-cygwin=sourceware.cygnus.com@cygwin.com
This mailing list is not for general discussions.  Please resend your
mail note to a more appropriate list.

* Re: ezmlm warning
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-09-05  4:06     ` Don Sharp
From: Don Sharp @ 2001-09-05  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnuwin32

Hi Chris

Just to let you know that someone remembers what you said. Take a look
at the date on the message header I received this morning. The e-mail
black hole must have regurgitated this one.

From: cgf@cygnus.com (Chris Faylor)
Newsgroups: cygnus.gnu-win32
Subject: Re: ezmlm warning
Date: 10 Apr 2000 17:12:40 GMT
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Chris Faylor wrote:

> It is not at all clear that this is a routing fault.  When an email
...snip...

Cheers

Don Sharp

* Re: ezmlm warning
       [not found]     ` <006301bfa32a$cbeeec10$5f0f4dd1@TIMYX18EWDT6RQ>
@ 2001-09-04 23:46     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2001-09-04 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It is not at all clear that this is a routing fault.  When an email
message is bounced back with a "MAILER-DAEMON" warning that begins with
a "5", it indicates that the email could not be delivered.

If you are still getting the email anyway then something in your setup
is odd.

Something in the setup for the IP address 158.43.128.40 (which is
relay.pipex.net) does not like relaying cygwin mailing list news to you.
I don't know why.

cgf

@ 2001-04-16  6:30     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2001-04-16  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It is not at all clear that this is a routing fault.  When an email
message is bounced back with a "MAILER-DAEMON" warning that begins with
a "5", it indicates that the email could not be delivered.

If you are still getting the email anyway then something in your setup
is odd.

Something in the setup for the IP address 158.43.128.40 (which is
relay.pipex.net) does not like relaying cygwin mailing list news to you.
I don't know why.

cgf

In article <38F18C2B.C5B65602@dddandr.octacon.co.uk>,
Don Sharp  <dwsharp@iee.org> wrote:

>Sorry to have to post this to the list, but I haven't seen a list
>manager address.
>
>It should be clear that the problems below are a routing fault, not one
>of inaccessible addresses, because the sensing message reaches me OK.
>Please amend your package to tell the difference.
>
>Cheers
>
>Don Sharp
>
>cygwin-help@sourceware.cygnus.com wrote:
>>
>> Hi! This is the ezmlm program. I'm managing the
>> cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com mailing list.
>>
>> Messages to you from the cygwin mailing list seem to
>> have been bouncing. I've attached a copy of the first bounce
>> message I received.
>>
>> If this message bounces too, I will send you a probe. If the probe bounces,
>> I will remove your address from the cygwin mailing list,
>> without further notice.
>>
>> I've kept a list of which messages from the cygwin mailing list have
>> bounced from your address.
>>
>> Copies of these messages may be in the archive.
>> To retrieve a set of messages 123-145 (a maximum of 100 per request),
>> send an empty message to:
>>    <cygwin-get.123_145@sourceware.cygnus.com>
>>
>> To receive a subject and author list for the last 100 or so messages,
>> send an empty message to:
>>    <cygwin-index@sourceware.cygnus.com>
>>
>> Here are the message numbers:
>>
>>    9165
>>    9185
>>
>> --- Enclosed is a copy of the bounce message I received.

>> Date: 27 Mar 2000 17:02:33 -0000
>> From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.cygnus.com
>> To: cygwin-return-9165-@sourceware.cygnus.com
>> Subject: failure notice
>>
>> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.cygnus.com.
>> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>> This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
>>
>> <dwsharp@iee.org>:
>> 158.43.128.40 does not like recipient.
>> Remote host said: 553 Sorry, you can't relay through me (#5.7.1)
>> Giving up on 158.43.128.40.
>
>--

* Re: ezmlm warning
       [not found]   ` <200004101712.NAA09157@rtl.cygnus.com>
@ 2000-04-11  1:17     ` Don Sharp
From: Don Sharp @ 2000-04-11  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnuwin32

Thanks. In my naivete I assumed that the whole point of TCP/IP was that
if one route drops out that a new route would be sought. Forgot that
mail routing occurs at a level above that.

Cheers

Don Sharp

Chris Faylor wrote:

> It is not at all clear that this is a routing fault.  When an email
> message is bounced back with a "MAILER-DAEMON" warning that begins with
> a "5", it indicates that the email could not be delivered.
>
> If you are still getting the email anyway then something in your setup
> is odd.
>
> Something in the setup for the IP address 158.43.128.40 (which is
> relay.pipex.net) does not like relaying cygwin mailing list news to you.
> I don't know why.
>
> cgf
>
> In article < 38F18C2B.C5B65602@dddandr.octacon.co.uk >,
> Don Sharp  <dwsharp@iee.org> wrote:
> >
> >Sorry to have to post this to the list, but I haven't seen a list
> >manager address.
> >
> >It should be clear that the problems below are a routing fault, not one
> >of inaccessible addresses, because the sensing message reaches me OK.
> >Please amend your package to tell the difference.
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >Don Sharp
> >
> >cygwin-help@sourceware.cygnus.com wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi! This is the ezmlm program. I'm managing the
> >> cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com mailing list.
> >>
> >> Messages to you from the cygwin mailing list seem to
> >> have been bouncing. I've attached a copy of the first bounce
> >> message I received.
> >>
> >> If this message bounces too, I will send you a probe. If the probe bounces,
> >> I will remove your address from the cygwin mailing list,
> >> without further notice.
> >>
> >> I've kept a list of which messages from the cygwin mailing list have
> >> bounced from your address.
> >>
> >> Copies of these messages may be in the archive.
> >> To retrieve a set of messages 123-145 (a maximum of 100 per request),
> >> send an empty message to:
> >>    <cygwin-get.123_145@sourceware.cygnus.com>
> >>
> >> To receive a subject and author list for the last 100 or so messages,
> >> send an empty message to:
> >>    <cygwin-index@sourceware.cygnus.com>
> >>
> >> Here are the message numbers:
> >>
> >>    9165
> >>    9185
> >>
> >> --- Enclosed is a copy of the bounce message I received.

> >> Date: 27 Mar 2000 17:02:33 -0000
> >> From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.cygnus.com
> >> To: cygwin-return-9165-@sourceware.cygnus.com
> >> Subject: failure notice
> >>
> >> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.cygnus.com.
> >> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
> >> This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
> >>
> >> <dwsharp@iee.org>:
> >> 158.43.128.40 does not like recipient.
> >> Remote host said: 553 Sorry, you can't relay through me (#5.7.1)
> >> Giving up on 158.43.128.40.
> >
> >--

* Re: ezmlm warning
       [not found]   ` <38F1E5D0.262ED39B@sigma6.com>
@ 2000-04-11  1:07     ` Don Sharp
From: Don Sharp @ 2000-04-11  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Sturm; +Cc: gnuwin32

Thank you very much for the clarification. I've forwarded your
suggestion to my ISP.

The list triumphs again (I hope)

Cheers

Don Sharp

Jeff Sturm wrote:

> This is happening because your secondary MX (fallback.pipex.net) is
> invalid: it is  not allowed to relay for domain iee.org.  You are
> probably missing much more email than just the bounces from the cygwin
> list.
>
> You should modify your domain record to use another secondary MX, or
> speak to your ISP about amending their relay ruleset.
>
> Jeff
>
> Don Sharp wrote:
> >
> > Sorry to have to post this to the list, but I haven't seen a list
> > manager address.
> >
> > It should be clear that the problems below are a routing fault, not one
> > of inaccessible addresses, because the sensing message reaches me OK.
> > Please amend your package to tell the difference.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Don Sharp
> >
> > cygwin-help@sourceware.cygnus.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi! This is the ezmlm program. I'm managing the
> > > cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com mailing list.
> > >
> > > Messages to you from the cygwin mailing list seem to
> > > have been bouncing. I've attached a copy of the first bounce
> > > message I received.
> > >
> > > If this message bounces too, I will send you a probe. If the probe bounces,
> > > I will remove your address from the cygwin mailing list,
> > > without further notice.
> > >
> > > I've kept a list of which messages from the cygwin mailing list have
> > > bounced from your address.
> > >
> > > Copies of these messages may be in the archive.
> > > To retrieve a set of messages 123-145 (a maximum of 100 per request),
> > > send an empty message to:
> > >    <cygwin-get.123_145@sourceware.cygnus.com>
> > >
> > > To receive a subject and author list for the last 100 or so messages,
> > > send an empty message to:
> > >    <cygwin-index@sourceware.cygnus.com>
> > >
> > > Here are the message numbers:
> > >
> > >    9165
> > >    9185
> > >
> > > --- Enclosed is a copy of the bounce message I received.

> > > Date: 27 Mar 2000 17:02:33 -0000
> > > From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.cygnus.com
> > > To: cygwin-return-9165-@sourceware.cygnus.com
> > > Subject: failure notice
> > >
> > > Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.cygnus.com.
> > > I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
> > > This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
> > >
> > > <dwsharp@iee.org>:
> > > 158.43.128.40 does not like recipient.
> > > Remote host said: 553 Sorry, you can't relay through me (#5.7.1)
> > > Giving up on 158.43.128.40.
> >
> > --
>
> --
> Jeff Sturm
> jsturm@sigma6.com

* Re: ezmlm warning
@ 2000-04-10 13:44         ` Jeff Sturm
From: Jeff Sturm @ 2000-04-10 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Yes.  I mailed Don privately.  His fallback MX host won't relay for his
domain; i.e. _he_ has a configuration problem, not the list.

@ 2000-04-10 13:36       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-04-10 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Prince; +Cc: cygwin

This has nothing to do with ORBS.  It looks like a standard "we don't relay"
filter.

cgf

On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 01:24:33PM -0700, Tim Prince wrote:
>My ISP (Pacbell) was using some kind of spam filter to reject list messages
>for more than a day.  That seems to have been corrected, but they still
>refuse to acknowledge the need to get off the ORBS blacklist.

* Re: ezmlm warning
@ 2000-04-10 10:15   ` Chris Faylor
       [not found]     ` <006301bfa32a$cbeeec10$5f0f4dd1@TIMYX18EWDT6RQ>
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-04-10 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It is not at all clear that this is a routing fault.  When an email
message is bounced back with a "MAILER-DAEMON" warning that begins with
a "5", it indicates that the email could not be delivered.

If you are still getting the email anyway then something in your setup
is odd.

Something in the setup for the IP address 158.43.128.40 (which is
relay.pipex.net) does not like relaying cygwin mailing list news to you.
I don't know why.

cgf

In article < 38F18C2B.C5B65602@dddandr.octacon.co.uk >,
Don Sharp  <dwsharp@iee.org> wrote:

>Sorry to have to post this to the list, but I haven't seen a list
>manager address.
>
>It should be clear that the problems below are a routing fault, not one
>of inaccessible addresses, because the sensing message reaches me OK.
>Please amend your package to tell the difference.
>
>Cheers
>
>Don Sharp
>
>cygwin-help@sourceware.cygnus.com wrote:
>>
>> Hi! This is the ezmlm program. I'm managing the
>> cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com mailing list.
>>
>> Messages to you from the cygwin mailing list seem to
>> have been bouncing. I've attached a copy of the first bounce
>> message I received.
>>
>> If this message bounces too, I will send you a probe. If the probe bounces,
>> I will remove your address from the cygwin mailing list,
>> without further notice.
>>
>> I've kept a list of which messages from the cygwin mailing list have
>> bounced from your address.
>>
>> Copies of these messages may be in the archive.
>> To retrieve a set of messages 123-145 (a maximum of 100 per request),
>> send an empty message to:
>>    <cygwin-get.123_145@sourceware.cygnus.com>
>>
>> To receive a subject and author list for the last 100 or so messages,
>> send an empty message to:
>>    <cygwin-index@sourceware.cygnus.com>
>>
>> Here are the message numbers:
>>
>>    9165
>>    9185
>>
>> --- Enclosed is a copy of the bounce message I received.

>> Date: 27 Mar 2000 17:02:33 -0000
>> From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.cygnus.com
>> To: cygwin-return-9165-@sourceware.cygnus.com
>> Subject: failure notice
>>
>> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.cygnus.com.
>> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>> This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
>>
>> <dwsharp@iee.org>:
>> 158.43.128.40 does not like recipient.
>> Remote host said: 553 Sorry, you can't relay through me (#5.7.1)
>> Giving up on 158.43.128.40.
>
>--

* Re: ezmlm warning
       [not found] <955193687.11707.ezmlm-warn@sourceware.cygnus.com>