* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2017-01-10  0:39 Steven Penny
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-01-10  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 09:41:29, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> - Fix regression in console charset handling
>   Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-10/msg00000.html

It looks like fixing this may have caused another issue. Example test:

With cmd.exe, you can type Alt 234 and it produces
GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA U+03A9. However with Cygwin via Cygwin.bat it yields
nothing. Non ASCII characters can be read from scripts, but they cannot be
entered interactively.

They cannot be pasted either; pasting some words will remove all non ASCII
characters.

I believe this to be a recent issue, if memory serves this did work before, and
should given that cmd.exe handles it fine.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2017-01-10 20:08 ` Brian Inglis
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-01-10 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-01-09 17:39, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 09:41:29, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> - Fix regression in console charset handling
>>   Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-10/msg00000.html
>
> It looks like fixing this may have caused another issue. Example test:
>
> With cmd.exe, you can type Alt 234 and it produces GREEK CAPITAL
> LETTER OMEGA U+03A9. However with Cygwin via Cygwin.bat it yields
> nothing. Non ASCII characters can be read from scripts, but they
> cannot be entered interactively.
>
> They cannot be pasted either; pasting some words will remove all non
> ASCII characters.
>
> I believe this to be a recent issue, if memory serves this did work
> before, and should given that cmd.exe handles it fine.

Alt-numpad-decimal e.g. Alt234 depends on the console codepage selected.
Mintty selection of Options/Text/Locale and Character set UTF-8 or cmd
chcp 65001 selects Unicode.
Alt-numpad-+-hex (on regular keys) allows hex unicode input e.g.
Alt+3a9 if the font supports the character.
Free text fonts which support Unicode character emojis are updated
regularly.
Look for Cygwin packages matching ...font... containing Truetype or
Opentype fonts, and just copy them to Windows/Fonts e.g.
find /usr/share/fonts/ -name '*.[ot]tf' | \
	xargs cp -put /proc/cygdrive/c/Windows/Fonts/
You may need to run in an admin/elevated console to write to
Windows/Fonts.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2017-01-11  0:00   ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-01-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 13:08:30, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Alt-numpad-decimal e.g. Alt234 depends on the console codepage selected.

I tested this on Windows 7 in a pristine virtual machine, and cmd.exe passes
just fine, even with code page 437 and crappy raster font. Meanwhile bash.exe
fails.

> Mintty selection of Options/Text/Locale and Character set UTF-8 or cmd
> chcp 65001 selects Unicode.

No one said anything about Mintty. This is about bash.exe, launched by itself
or via Cygwin.bat

> Alt-numpad-+-hex (on regular keys) allows hex unicode input e.g.
> Alt+3a9 if the font supports the character.

No one said anything about hex input.

> Free text fonts which support Unicode character emojis are updated
> regularly.
> Look for Cygwin packages matching ...font... containing Truetype or
> Opentype fonts, and just copy them to Windows/Fonts e.g.

A font does not need to be installed. Raster, Consolas and Lucida all work
already through cmd.exe.

I do appreciate your response, but all you have done here is thrown a bunch of
guesses at the wall hoping something would stick. It would be a better use of
everyones time if you actually tested your suggestions before posting them.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2017-01-11  1:35 ` Michael Enright
From: Michael Enright @ 2017-01-11  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Steven Penny <svnpenn@gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like fixing this may have caused another issue. Example test:
>
> With cmd.exe, you can type Alt 234 and it produces
> GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA U+03A9. However with Cygwin via Cygwin.bat it yields
> nothing. Non ASCII characters can be read from scripts, but they cannot be
> entered interactively.
>
> They cannot be pasted either; pasting some words will remove all non ASCII
> characters.

My cygwin 32-bit install has not been updated for a while. When I do
ALT234 with numeric pad keys and numlock on, from bash directly
running under cmd.exe, I get :\251 at first (colon backslash 251) and
then when I hit enter for the command, I get a beep.
If I do the ALT234 with numeric pad and numlock in CMD.exe I do get
what looks like a capital omega. So a months old bash does not respond
well to this ALT numpad stuff.

My information supports the judgement that weird behavior in this area
was introduced a while ago.

For comparison only, If I do ALT234 with mintty running bash, I get
neither the :\251 nor capital omega, I get lower case e with
circumflex.

>c:\cygwin\bin\bash --version
GNU bash, version 4.3.42(4)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2017-01-11  6:51     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-01-11  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-01-10 17:00, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 13:08:30, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Alt-numpad-decimal e.g. Alt234 depends on the console codepage
>> selected.
>
> I tested this on Windows 7 in a pristine virtual machine, and cmd.exe
> passes just fine, even with code page 437 and crappy raster font.
> Meanwhile bash.exe fails.
>
>> Mintty selection of Options/Text/Locale and Character set UTF-8 or
>> cmd chcp 65001 selects Unicode.
>
> No one said anything about Mintty. This is about bash.exe, launched
> by itself or via Cygwin.bat

Both of which run under the cmd console - press Alt-space, select
Properties, and on the Options tab it will show the Current code page,
probably 437 in the US and 850 elsewhere in the English speaking world
(and much of the Commonwealth with no local Language Packs), otherwise
YMMV.

You can look up which characters are displayed using Alt-numpad-digits
at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437 or in the selected code
page using Alt-numpad-0-digits at Code_page_nnn or Windows_nnnn.

On top of that is added the Windows locale mapping to Cygwin locale and
character set, plus readline settings used by bash in ~/.inputrc, which
may change input interpretation.

Type locale to see what locale Cygwin thinks you are running.

Documentation available is at:
	https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-locale.html
which documents the default as C.UTF-8 (ASCII) unless LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE,
or LANG env vars are set to change the locale and/or char set.
It does not really describe the impact or limits on effective input or
output i.e. with the default are you limited to using ASCII characters,
or only on input, or only affects tests, comparisons, and collating
sequences, or free to use any UTF-8 characters?
It implies that the Cygwin char set will default to the equivalent of
the Windows code page selected, and changing the char set in the
locale env vars will change the char set/code page used.

You may have to chcp n in Cygwin.bat to get correct character output,
either 437 for US, 850 for English, 65001 for UTF-8, others from
above reference for other locales and char sets.

>> Alt-numpad-+-hex (on regular keys) allows hex unicode input e.g.
>> Alt+3a9 if the font supports the character.
>
> No one said anything about hex input.

It is an alternative input method for Unicode characters which does
not seem to be supported with bash under cmd configured with default
code pages, but is in mintty and elsewhere in Windows, which avoids
having to pop up CharMap and search when you know the Unicode code
point wanted.

>> Free text fonts which support Unicode character emojis are updated
>> regularly.
>> Look for Cygwin packages matching ...font... containing Truetype or
>> Opentype fonts, and just copy them to Windows/Fonts e.g.
>
> A font does not need to be installed. Raster, Consolas and Lucida all
> work already through cmd.exe.

Most Windows monospace fonts do not support most new Unicode characters,
but fallback fonts can be configured in the registry to provide missing
glyphs, given available fonts which support the glyphs, and code page
65001/char set UTF-8 which supports the Unicode character set.

> I do appreciate your response, but all you have done here is thrown a
> bunch of guesses at the wall hoping something would stick. It would
> be a better use of everyones time if you actually tested your
> suggestions before posting them.

Mea culpa, having configured everything I can in Windows, Cygwin, and
apps to support Unicode/UTF-8 character sets, with appropriate fonts
and fallbacks, I forget the limitations and problems with OEM code
pages which caused me to make that effort, indeed that people, apps,
or systems still use those code pages implicitly.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2017-01-11 12:52       ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-01-11 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 23:49:16, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Both of which run under the cmd console

No, they dont. They both run under the Console Window Host.

> You can look up which characters are displayed using Alt-numpad-digits
> at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437 or in the selected code
> page using Alt-numpad-0-digits at Code_page_nnn or Windows_nnnn.

Why do I need to do this? I already know that it is capital omega.

> On top of that is added the Windows locale mapping to Cygwin locale and
> character set, plus readline settings used by bash in ~/.inputrc, which
> may change input interpretation.

Again, did you try this or are you just guessing? If so what inputrc value needs
to be set?

> Type locale to see what locale Cygwin thinks you are running.
> Documentation available is at:
> 	https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-locale.html
> which documents the default as C.UTF-8 (ASCII) unless LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE,
> or LANG env vars are set to change the locale and/or char set.

Again, did you try this or are you just guessing? If so what value needs to be
set?

> You may have to chcp n in Cygwin.bat to get correct character output,
> either 437 for US, 850 for English, 65001 for UTF-8, others from
> above reference for other locales and char sets.

Again, no because cmd.exe works fine even with 437.

> It is an alternative input method for Unicode characters which does
> not seem to be supported with bash under cmd configured with default
> code pages, but is in mintty and elsewhere in Windows, which avoids
> having to pop up CharMap and search when you know the Unicode code
> point wanted.

Again, hex input is not needed, cmd.exe handles Alt-decimal just fine.

> Most Windows monospace fonts do not support most new Unicode characters,
> but fallback fonts can be configured in the registry to provide missing
> glyphs, given available fonts which support the glyphs, and code page
> 65001/char set UTF-8 which supports the Unicode character set.

Again, no font is needed as this character is already supported though existing
fonts.

> Mea culpa, having configured everything I can in Windows, Cygwin, and
> apps to support Unicode/UTF-8 character sets, with appropriate fonts
> and fallbacks, I forget the limitations and problems with OEM code
> pages which caused me to make that effort, indeed that people, apps,
> or systems still use those code pages implicitly.

Somehow you managed to make a nearly 400 word reply without adding anything to
your previous post. I am actually impressed. Please going forward post
suggestions that you have actually tried and fix the problem at hand, thank you.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2017-01-11 17:54         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-01-11 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-01-11 05:51, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 23:49:16, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Both of which run under the cmd console
>
> No, they dont. They both run under the Console Window Host.
>
>> You can look up which characters are displayed using Alt-numpad-digits
>> at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437 or in the selected code
>> page using Alt-numpad-0-digits at Code_page_nnn or Windows_nnnn.
>
> Why do I need to do this? I already know that it is capital omega.
>
>> On top of that is added the Windows locale mapping to Cygwin locale
>> and character set, plus readline settings used by bash in
>> ~/.inputrc, which may change input interpretation.
>
> Again, did you try this or are you just guessing? If so what inputrc
> value needs to be set?
>
>> Type locale to see what locale Cygwin thinks you are running.
>> Documentation available is at:
>> 	https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-locale.html
>> which documents the default as C.UTF-8 (ASCII) unless LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE,
>> or LANG env vars are set to change the locale and/or char set.
>
> Again, did you try this or are you just guessing? If so what value
> needs to be set?
>
>> You may have to chcp n in Cygwin.bat to get correct character output,
>> either 437 for US, 850 for English, 65001 for UTF-8, others from
>> above reference for other locales and char sets.
>
> Again, no because cmd.exe works fine even with 437.
>
>> It is an alternative input method for Unicode characters which does
>> not seem to be supported with bash under cmd configured with default
>> code pages, but is in mintty and elsewhere in Windows, which avoids
>> having to pop up CharMap and search when you know the Unicode code
>> point wanted.
>
> Again, hex input is not needed, cmd.exe handles Alt-decimal just fine.
>
>> Most Windows monospace fonts do not support most new Unicode characters,
>> but fallback fonts can be configured in the registry to provide missing
>> glyphs, given available fonts which support the glyphs, and code page
>> 65001/char set UTF-8 which supports the Unicode character set.
>
> Again, no font is needed as this character is already supported
> though existing fonts.
>
>> Mea culpa, having configured everything I can in Windows, Cygwin, and
>> apps to support Unicode/UTF-8 character sets, with appropriate fonts
>> and fallbacks, I forget the limitations and problems with OEM code
>> pages which caused me to make that effort, indeed that people, apps,
>> or systems still use those code pages implicitly.
>
> Somehow you managed to make a nearly 400 word reply without adding
> anything to your previous post. I am actually impressed. Please going
> forward post suggestions that you have actually tried and fix the
> problem at hand, thank you.

Launch Character Map app, find Omega, Select, and Copy, and you should
be able to paste it into any window.
Post your cmd console code page and locale settings as described and
maybe someone can help you.
Or maybe you could check the cmd settings and console docs yourself
and figure out your own problem.
Generate cygcheck -svr output and attach to your post as described
in the problems link below, and one of the project *volunteers* may
get some time to look at it and be able to help.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2017-01-11 19:37           ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-01-11 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:53:55, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Launch Character Map app, find Omega, Select, and Copy, and you should
> be able to paste it into any window.

Nope. I made it clear already, even from my first post that it doesnt work from
pasting.

> Post your cmd console code page and locale settings as described and
> maybe someone can help you.

Nope. I have done that already repeatedly.

> Or maybe you could check the cmd settings and console docs yourself
> and figure out your own problem.

Not helpful.

> Generate cygcheck -svr output and attach to your post as described
> in the problems link below, and one of the project *volunteers* may
> get some time to look at it and be able to help.

I am not doing this, as anyone with a current Cygwin build can duplicate it with
the default settings. I kindly ask that going forward you only make contructive
posts.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2017-01-11 20:41             ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2017-01-11 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/11/2017 2:37 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:53:55, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Launch Character Map app, find Omega, Select, and Copy, and you should
>> be able to paste it into any window.
>
> Nope. I made it clear already, even from my first post that it doesnt work from
> pasting.
>
>> Post your cmd console code page and locale settings as described and
>> maybe someone can help you.
>
> Nope. I have done that already repeatedly.
>
>> Or maybe you could check the cmd settings and console docs yourself
>> and figure out your own problem.
>
> Not helpful.
>
>> Generate cygcheck -svr output and attach to your post as described
>> in the problems link below, and one of the project *volunteers* may
>> get some time to look at it and be able to help.
>
> I am not doing this, as anyone with a current Cygwin build can duplicate it with
> the default settings. I kindly ask that going forward you only make contructive
> posts.

I am getting tired of the somewhat sniping tone of this email thread.
If I were the person to whom these responses are directed, I might
feel offended, even insulted.  There is no need for this kind of tone
between professionals.  Let's try to keep it about the content.  I
know frustration can arise when there is misunderstanding -- the effort
should go toward building common understanding, not criticizing other
individuals.  Or as my mother used to say, you get more flies with
honey than with vinegar.

Regards - Eliot Moss

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2017-01-11 21:41             ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-01-11 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-01-11 12:37, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:53:55, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Launch Character Map app, find Omega, Select, and Copy, and you should
>> be able to paste it into any window.
>
> Nope. I made it clear already, even from my first post that it doesnt work from
> pasting.
>
>> Post your cmd console code page and locale settings as described and
>> maybe someone can help you.
>
> Nope. I have done that already repeatedly.

I have not seen you provide any output from the locale command,
or any mention of your Windows regional settings.

>> Or maybe you could check the cmd settings and console docs yourself
>> and figure out your own problem.
>
> Not helpful.
>
>> Generate cygcheck -svr output and attach to your post as described
>> in the problems link below, and one of the project *volunteers*
>> may get some time to look at it and be able to help.
>
> I am not doing this, as anyone with a current Cygwin build can
> duplicate it with the default settings. I kindly ask that going
> forward you only make contructive posts.

Others may be unable to reproduce your problem because they don't have
your Windows and your default settings, and most likely customized their
systems. Some idea of what *your* "default" settings are would be helpful.

System:
HW?
VM - VMware, KVM, QEMU, ... and edition/release?
VM config?
Does your VM product intercept and/or translate any keycodes?
Windows Home, Pro, Ultimate, Education, or Enterprise, Edition?, and Language?

Windows environment and where problems appear:
Windows 7, 10, or both; 32 bit, 64 bit, or both?
Service Packs, Updates, and patches installed?
Cygwin 32 or 64 bit or both?

Cygwin environment:
Packages installed and releases?
Environment variables?
Cygwin locale output?

To help with a problem, someone else has to be able to reproduce it.
To reproduce it, they need to be able to reproduce the environment
that causes the problem, and shows the same symptoms you see.

Given https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#IWFM suggestions are all posters
can offer without more information.

If you find suggestions by other posters unhelpful, ignore them:
your comments are only likely to discourage others from helping.

Without cygcheck -svr output attached, project volunteers are
unlikely to be able to help: https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BWAM

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2017-01-11 23:19               ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-01-11 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 15:40:49, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 1/11/2017 2:37 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
> I am getting tired of the somewhat sniping tone of this email thread.

Thank you for the email. However, did you have something constructive to add to
the conversation, like an answer to the issue?

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2017-01-11 23:22                 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2017-01-11 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I think that encouraging more positive and professional
interchanges *is* constructive, in the broader sense of
building community, but YMMV.

Regards -- Eliot Moss

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2017-01-11 23:27               ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-01-11 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 14:41:04, Brian Inglis wrote:
> I have not seen you provide any output from the locale command,
> or any mention of your Windows regional settings.

That is not how this works. I posit that this is a Cygwin issue, not a Steven
issue. I went back through all the posts of this thread and not a single person
has said:

"it works for me, I can enter non ASCII characters into interactive Bash via Alt
code or pasting. Must be your issue Steven"

once it has been proven it is my issue, I will jump through all those hoops you
are suggesting. Until then, it is pointless for me to run tests beyond what I
have already mentioned in my previous emails. This might very well by a Cygwin
issue and not a Steven issue, in which case that extra work will be a waste of
my time.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2017-01-11 23:29                   ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-01-11 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:22:26, Eliot Moss wrote:
> I think that encouraging more positive and professional
> interchanges *is* constructive, in the broader sense of
> building community, but YMMV.

Thank you for your input. However, did you have an answer to the question at
hand?

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2017-01-12 14:23 ` John Hein
From: John Hein @ 2017-01-12 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Steven Penny wrote at 16:39 -0800 on Jan  9, 2017:
 > On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 09:41:29, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
 > > - Fix regression in console charset handling
 > >   Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-10/msg00000.html
 >
 > It looks like fixing this may have caused another issue. Example test:
 >
 > With cmd.exe, you can type Alt 234 and it produces
 > GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA U+03A9. However with Cygwin via Cygwin.bat it yields
 > nothing. Non ASCII characters can be read from scripts, but they cannot be
 > entered interactively.
 >
 > They cannot be pasted either; pasting some words will remove all non ASCII
 > characters.
 >
 > I believe this to be a recent issue, if memory serves this did work before, and
 > should given that cmd.exe handles it fine.

It behaves the same as you describe above (yields nothing) here
with cygwin 2.6.0-1 and bash 4.3.46-7 on windows 7/32.

But it works as expected (yields omega) if you run tcsh instead of
bash from the cmd.exe window dos prompt... or even if you run tcsh
from within the bash.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-01-12 18:48 ` David Macek
From: David Macek @ 2017-01-12 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10. 1. 2017 1:39, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 09:41:29, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> - Fix regression in console charset handling
>>   Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-10/msg00000.html
>
> It looks like fixing this may have caused another issue. Example test:
>
> With cmd.exe, you can type Alt 234 and it produces
> GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA U+03A9. However with Cygwin via Cygwin.bat it yields
> nothing. Non ASCII characters can be read from scripts, but they cannot be
> entered interactively.
>
> They cannot be pasted either; pasting some words will remove all non ASCII
> characters.
>
> I believe this to be a recent issue, if memory serves this did work before, and
> should given that cmd.exe handles it fine.

My experience:

conhostv2+cmd: Shift+Ins -> ŕ
conhostv2+cmd: Alt+234 -> ŕ

conhostv2+cygwin260+bash: Shift+Ins -> ŕ
conhostv2+cygwin260+bash: Alt+234 -> ŕ

conhostv2+cygwin261+bash: Shift+Ins -> ŕ
conhostv2+cygwin261+bash: Alt+234 ->
(i.e. nothing)
conhostv2+cygwin261+bash: Alt+5 -> [G
(if there's nothing written yet on the input line, Alt+5 also causes what seems to be ~10-second delay in input processing)

mintty+cygwin261+bash: Shift+Ins -> ŕ
mintty+cygwin261+bash: Alt+234 -> ê

Versions and settings:

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 mew 2.6.0(0.304/5/3) 2016-08-31 14:32 x86_64 Cygwin
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 mew 2.6.1(0.305/5/3) 2016-12-16 11:55 x86_64 Cygwin

$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="C.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

$ /proc/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/chcp.com
Active code page: 65001

Using the font Consolas.

--
David Macek

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2016-12-21 20:38   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2016-12-21 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Dec 21 19:10, David Stacey wrote:
> On 18/12/16 08:41, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > I uploaded Cygwin to release 2.6.1-1.
> Just a curiosity: the file timestamps for the source and binary are a day
> apart. Normally, both are created and uploaded at the same time. I'm sure
> there's a good reason for this, but just being cautious...

Dunno who touched the date of the source files, they should be the same
date as the binary files.  However, only the date is weird, the files are
still intact.  For your safety, here are the expected sha512sums:

32 bit:

7f23816d247419ce991a672388d8e1e69ac768992a686d86f2b8550f6b89fc5387d09290ae1b0298d0352af17783c13133326487766925a85bdbc663031b539f  cygwin-2.6.1-1-src.tar.xz
81fa22f667661f214281573ae597bdffa071603bfe19ff9d72871fffee722080df22a60f5bcbd60307c718371259570f671671254864afe1449a76c6610bb392  cygwin-2.6.1-1.tar.xz
47ddce4460fd1eafc7e43db9175e409204c0eff48336c3bb8891972113ac60d177e93d728d9c57b2ce6d36d5ac5688451f1455a0f25eb8f57cd870f621c7b17d  cygwin-debuginfo/cygwin-debuginfo-2.6.1-1.tar.xz
667e41ae67de8d98d9f53ba09326d34570a766e740fc871f8011773068f71ad71daf11bd185d9efe5725b161c3038ce308c88d5dc59e3efc9bc4127f14a9e7cc  cygwin-devel/cygwin-devel-2.6.1-1.tar.xz
b740acccd9b8a44e2b02500050ab459cc03a576860e3e75d9e5388b0c32baf91cda0447220a15f9cadfb68ccd5fe10b574fb3f586bacea7f46afe4652ed4b637  cygwin-doc/cygwin-doc-2.6.1-1.tar.xz

64 bit:

ed36e03fa1bdd1aa57ffa4865c1d110ff9110daed57c0f146b8475127b2cf397c2ac6d3c38f5e7843636a47bc48432937ae7f9392bba20b72babe946f4d4e050  cygwin-2.6.1-1-src.tar.xz
728c6403a4fabbaaa5e1ecc500400323f9107b3116ed2e1ba23ebec60b5c60aa36ffadde1fb50047dbb678a3f30c1e7e956440bd67537a8e887d9fca45cda8b6  cygwin-2.6.1-1.tar.xz
fb32633609966940fc5803db78cea8fa74ca0dec0de4b6b3912a54a262989714a2363cd311f1c766c56c5f528f1ef2f77cf185510295650c992a0ef5788571ab  cygwin-debuginfo/cygwin-debuginfo-2.6.1-1.tar.xz
11ece3e3b11c2d673ddaaf94a727c7f0801cd05857e0782c130578fc825e3657727eae3d8272b9874f8ee2c45b318bb15ec3b8ab11bc8cd519eb6ebfe841df6b  cygwin-devel/cygwin-devel-2.6.1-1.tar.xz
8445659b9023ff9a3249c7b65cb110e2dbb4f05276672840368e7b6144bcb95f4fa5d476f4a6bf78c0994cc4e4a244a97fd6f61b41c167daf04f23b48a167f11  cygwin-doc/cygwin-doc-2.6.1-1.tar.xz

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2016-12-21 19:10 ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2016-12-21 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 18/12/16 08:41, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> I uploaded Cygwin to release 2.6.1-1.
Just a curiosity: the file timestamps for the source and binary are a
day apart. Normally, both are created and uploaded at the same time. I'm
sure there's a good reason for this, but just being cautious...

Dave.

* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.1-1
@ 2016-12-18  8:43 Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2016-12-18  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi folks,

I uploaded Cygwin to release 2.6.1-1.  This is a bugfix release only.

What's new:
-----------

- Add _PC_CASE_INSENSITIVE flag to [f]pathconf(3).

Bug Fixes
---------

- Fix regression in console charset handling
  Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-10/msg00000.html

- Fix case-sensitivity problem when renaming directories
  Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-09/msg00264.html

- Fix SetThreadName with gdb 7.10 on x86
  Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-09/msg00143.html

- Fix broken newlocale handling with empty local string "".
  Found by Coverity.

- Fix assorted buffer overflows and resource leaks found by Coverity.

- Correctly define __hidden macro on Cygwin.
  Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-10/msg00294.html

- Fix page count in /proc/<pid>/statm and /proc/<pid>/status.
  Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2016-q4/msg00008.html

- Don't allow sending invalid signals from user space

- Fix path handling of ".//" sequences.
  Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-11/msg00295.html

- cygwin_conv_path/cygwin_create_path now also check for .exe suffix when
  converting a POSIX path to Windows notation.

- Address Windows bug in path conversion on network shares for non-existing
  paths.
  Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2016-12/msg00008.html

Corinna

Red Hat