* / , /usr etc not in c:\-Partition, how?  Really free X-Server for win9x/cygwin, where?
@ 2000-01-19  3:53 Johannes Eble
From: Johannes Eble @ 2000-01-19  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I have two questions:
1)
The cygwin 20.1 full release automatically setup the root (/) and the
/usr, /tmp in the c:\ parition. Is there a way to have the directories
in the d:\ parition which is not the system patition?

2)
I didn't find an X-server for Win9x/Cygwin which is really free, i.e.
not only a 15 days trial version. Do you know of any? I want to
install the DDD-Debugger which needs an X-server. The FAQ points to
MI/X 2.0 for windows which is not really free and is not recommended
by Mumit Khan either.

Any help would be very useful. Thanks in advance.

--
Best regards,
 Johannes                          mailto:johannes.eble@arcormail.de

* Compiling DJGPP with Cygwin?
@ 2000-01-19 19:43 ` Kendall Bennett
From: Kendall Bennett @ 2000-01-19 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: dj

Hi Guys,

I now have Cygwin B20.1 (no snapshots) installed and it is working
nicely. One of the problems I have with Windows 2000 is that it does
not implement the Int 2Fh interfaces to expose long filenames to DOS
and Win16 apps like Windows 9x does. Hence DOS32 programs and Win16
programs can't use long filenames, which causes problems when trying
to compile with the DJGPP compiler.

So, I was thinking that the perfect solution would be to recompile
the DJGPP command line tools as native Win32 apps using Cygwin. Has
anyone already done this? If not, is there anything I should be aware
of before trying to do this, or should it pretty much be a simple re-
compile of the DJGPP sources??

If I do this, I assume it would be of interest to other DJGPP
developers, so perhaps I should post it up somewhere? If so where?

Regards,

|   SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!     |
| Kendall Bennett          | Email: KendallB@scitechsoft.com    |
| Director of Engineering  | Phone: (530) 894 8400              |
| SciTech Software, Inc.   | Fax  : (530) 894 9069              |
| 505 Wall Street          | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com         |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA     | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com  |

* Re: Compiling DJGPP with Cygwin?
@ 2000-01-20 10:10   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-01-20 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KendallB; +Cc: cygwin

You should be able to target djgpp with cygwin by building a
cross-compiler, just like for any other non-cygwin compiler.  The
configure switch is --target=i586-pc-msdosdjgpp

You'll need the djcrx203.zip package from djgpp to get the additional
files you'll need to use this cross compiler.  There's a HOWTO for
unix which should work for cygwin as well:
http://www.delorie.com/howto/djgpp/linux-x-djgpp.html

* Re: Compiling DJGPP with Cygwin?
@ 2000-01-20 14:13     ` Kendall Bennett
From: Kendall Bennett @ 2000-01-20 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

Hi DJ,

> You should be able to target djgpp with cygwin by building a
> cross-compiler, just like for any other non-cygwin compiler.  The
> configure switch is --target=i586-pc-msdosdjgpp

Cool!

> You'll need the djcrx203.zip package from djgpp to get the
> additional files you'll need to use this cross compiler.  There's a
> HOWTO for unix which should work for cygwin as well:
> http://www.delorie.com/howto/djgpp/linux-x-djgpp.html

Excellent. I will check all this out and give it a try. Native Win32
tools for DJGPP would be very useful for many developers, since
nearly all the DJGPP developers I deal with do their development in a
Win9x/NT DOS box.