* uninstalling cygwin
@ 2000-05-25 20:36 B&T
From: B&T @ 2000-05-25 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On an NT system, after a recent successful setup (install), cygwin
did not show up under "add/remove" programs. The faq says:
     If you should ever want to uninstall the tools, you may do so
     via the "Add/Remove Programs" control panel.
It appears the FAQ is out of date (mentions a few B20-isms).

While running the uninst.bat script wiped out most of the files,
it did not wipe out the registry, and setup refused to install
anything, saying it was all up to date.

Had to blast the registry entries by hand...

* Re: uninstalling cygwin
@ 2000-05-25 20:39 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-05-25 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 11:35:33PM -0400, B&T wrote:
>On an NT system, after a recent successful setup (install), cygwin
>did not show up under "add/remove" programs. The faq says:
>     If you should ever want to uninstall the tools, you may do so
>     via the "Add/Remove Programs" control panel.
>It appears the FAQ is out of date (mentions a few B20-isms).

Are you referring to the FAQ which says "Only partially updated for
the latest net release" at the top of the page?

>While running the uninst.bat script wiped out most of the files,
>it did not wipe out the registry, and setup refused to install
>anything, saying it was all up to date.

As we have said many times, setup.exe is a work in progress.  The
uninstall part of setup is very weak.

Setup should install everything as long as you don't use the "-u"
option.  If this is not the case, then you've uncovered a bug.

cgf

* Re: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-14 18:02 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-02-14 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 01:13:09PM +0100, PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:
>>Newbies make mistakes.  Good newbies learn from them.  Bad newbies
>don't
>and may be accused of bad manners.  Spammers, on the other hand, are
>just plain evil.
>
>I think the same about email administrators and programers.
>
>Our private email address must not be sent to the email list by the
>server.

Please stop this pointless discussion.

cgf

* RE: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-14 16:54 PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
From: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE @ 2008-02-14 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>Newbies make mistakes.  Good newbies learn from them.  Bad newbies
don't
and may be accused of bad manners.  Spammers, on the other hand, are
just plain evil.

I think the same about email administrators and programers.

Our private email address must not be sent to the email list by the
server.

Regards.

Pedro.

* Re: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-13 17:30 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-02-13 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 02:52:47PM +0100, PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:

> [...]

Remember, you are a guest here.  Also remember that you are not a genius
and that you are not apt to come up with new ideas that have not been
hashed and rehashed many times before.

Arguing with our mailing list policy is 1) not going to endear you to
anyone and 2) not going to be tolerated for much longer.

If you are going to continue to demonstrate an unwillingness to play by
the rules here then your continued access to this mailing list will be
revoked.

If you have something cygwin-related to talk about then, please say it.
Say it without needlessly quoting the header of the email that you are
replying to and without including raw email addresses in your message.

Also, as a side observation, your command of the English language is not
really terrific.  That doesn't really recommend you as someone who
should be maintaining English-language documentation.

cgf

* Re: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-13 16:51 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2008-02-13 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:

Um...

> de Larry Hall (Cygwin)
> Enviado el: martes, 12 de febrero de 2008 16:43
> Para: cygwin
         ^^^^^^
Hm...

> Asunto: Re: Uninstalling Cygwin
>
> PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:

Cygwin's member list is not available on the web.

> Remember, the bad manners are not from the newbies, but from the
> spammers.

Newbies make mistakes.  Good newbies learn from them.  Bad newbies don't
and may be accused of bad manners.  Spammers, on the other hand, are
just plain evil.

I trust we've now covered this topic thoroughly for all concerned.

Holliston, MA 01746

* RE: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-13 16:25 PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
From: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE @ 2008-02-13 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2008-02-12 20:36 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-02-12 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 02:05:57PM +0100, PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:
> [...]

Would you like to see just how powerful the mailing list server is?  Just keep
it up.

>Really, you think I am not going to forwarding the Cygwin wiki. You are
>wrong  ;)

I have no idea what the above means.

cgf

* Re: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-12 20:05 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2008-02-12 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:

We're saying that when you reply, your email client adds unnecessary headers
to your reply that include the email addresses of individuals and the list.
This is not necessary and is considered "bad manners" on the Cygwin lists.

> Use a better email server and program.

I think you're missing the point.  If you won't abide by the rules and
requests of these lists, what would motivate others to respond to your
inquiries?

> Really, you think I am not going to forwarding the Cygwin wiki. You are
> wrong  ;)

I'm not sure what this refers to in Phil's email.

FWIW, you're free to forward anything you want to anybody you wish.  As
far as this list is concerned, we will encourage users to use the resources
available at the Cygwin site since that's what we, as a community, maintain.
If you would like to help out in that regard, that's great!  If not, that's
your choice as well.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-12 17:22 ` Robert Pendell
From: Robert Pendell @ 2008-02-12 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* RE: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-12 17:14 PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE @ 2008-02-12 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2008-02-12 15:40 Phil Betts
From: Phil Betts @ 2008-02-12 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE, cygwin

PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:45 AM::

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> de Larry Hall (Cygwin)
> Enviado el: lunes, 11 de febrero de 2008 16:38
> Para: cygwin@xxxxxx.xxx
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How many times do you have to be told?

DO NOT PUT EMAIL ADDRESSES IN YOUR REPLIES

I've told you on the X list, and I'm pretty sure CGF and Larry have
told you on this list, and maybe others too.  JUST STOP IT!

There has been quite a bit of spam getting through from these
lists recently and it's almost entirely because of people like you
who just can't be bothered to do the right thing.

Phil

* RE: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-12 12:50 PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
From: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE @ 2008-02-12 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2008-02-11 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2008-02-11 15:38 PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
From: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE @ 2008-02-11 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain RICHARD, cygwin

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-02-09  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 07:07:47PM -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:
>Warren Young wrote:
>>We have a behavioral psychology problem here, not a technology problem:
>>if the item of interest isn't on the first page of results, many will
>>stop looking right there and post to the mailing list.  They've done
>>their bit, and looked in the FAQ, right?
>
>And what I'm (apparently, poorly) trying to say is that we should only
>have links to the no-chunks version so that it's impossible to get
>confused as there's only one choice.  We can leave the chunked pages on
>the server so that old links continue to work, but I really don't see
>why they are useful, specifically for the reason the poster expressed.

I made nochunks the default about half an hour ago.

cgf

* Re: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-09  5:29             ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-02-09  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Warren Young wrote:

> We have a behavioral psychology problem here, not a technology problem:
> if the item of interest isn't on the first page of results, many will
> stop looking right there and post to the mailing list.  They've done
> their bit, and looked in the FAQ, right?

And what I'm (apparently, poorly) trying to say is that we should only
have links to the no-chunks version so that it's impossible to get
confused as there's only one choice.  We can leave the chunked pages on
the server so that old links continue to work, but I really don't see
why they are useful, specifically for the reason the poster expressed.

Brian

* Re: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-09  3:40           ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2008-02-09  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Brian Dessent wrote:
> FAQ already has a single page version at
> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html>.

I said in my previous message that I was aware of it and want to talk
about something else.

We have a behavioral psychology problem here, not a technology problem:
if the item of interest isn't on the first page of results, many will
stop looking right there and post to the mailing list.  They've done
their bit, and looked in the FAQ, right?

These changes would go in winsup/doc/cygwin.dsl.

* Re: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-09  3:37           ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-02-09  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Brian Dessent wrote:

> In this case it's the Users Guide and not the FAQ that is at issue.  The

Ooops.  Duh, it is the FAQ that we're talking about.

Brian

* Re: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-09  3:08         ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-02-09  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Warren Young wrote:

> I think the biggest problem with the FAQ is that the first page you come
> to doesn't list all of the questions.  You have to figure out what
> section to look in first.  In this case, we have a problem akin to
> Windows' "Start" brain damage: the item on uninstalling is on the page
> about installing.

In this case it's the Users Guide and not the FAQ that is at issue.  The
FAQ already has a single page version at
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html>.  It's not linked very
prominently though.

> If the entire TOC was on a single page, you could use your browser's
> Find command to look for questions with likely titles.

There is also a non-chunked version of the UG, but it's only available
as a .gz:
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net-nochunks.html.gz>.  The
uncompressed HTML is only 259 KB, so I don't see why we don't offer this
online uncompressed either.  We could definitely improve here.

Brian

* Re: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-09  2:47       ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2008-02-09  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Good point.  Do you (or anyone) want to suggest some wording for that
> section of the FAQ?

I think the biggest problem with the FAQ is that the first page you come
to doesn't list all of the questions.  You have to figure out what
section to look in first.  In this case, we have a problem akin to
Windows' "Start" brain damage: the item on uninstalling is on the page
about installing.

If the entire TOC was on a single page, you could use your browser's
Find command to look for questions with likely titles.

Yes, I'm aware of the nochunked version of the FAQ, and that's not what
I'm asking for.  You can have chunking of the document body and still
control what shows up in the TOC section by overriding DocBook defaults.

Some of these links may help:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Chunking.html#TocChunking
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/TOCcontrol.html#CustomTocLevels

* Re: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-09  1:50       ` Sylvain RICHARD
From: Sylvain RICHARD @ 2008-02-09  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 07:24:53PM +0100, Sylvain RICHARD wrote:
>
>> I have to say that I agree with cgf.  I should have looked in the FAQ
>> before, it would have saved some typing.  I have had exactly the same
>> issue before and perhaps didn't find the answer at that time.  People
>> who come from a UNIX background tend to use chown or chmod but may have
>> already deleted chown.exe and chmod.exe.  Perhaps adding the exact
>> cacls invocation in the FAQ would be helpful
>>

> Good point.  Do you (or anyone) want to suggest some wording for that
> section of the FAQ?
>
> cgf

Not fully tested as I do not have full control over the machine I work
on now, but something along the lines of:
- run
takeown /f c:\cygwin /a /r /d y
cacls c:\cygwin0 /t /g Administrators:F
- delete c:\cygwin in Explorer
should be a start.

However,
1) This is for English versions of Windows only:
/d y (answer "yes") can become /d o("oui"), and perhaps /d j("ja"), /d
s("si"),...
"Administrators" is localized too

2)
http://www.ss64.com/nt/cacls.html says:
"Errors when changing permissions
If a user or group has a permission on a file or folder and you grant a
second permission to the same user/group on the same folder, NTFS will
sometimes produce the error message "The parameter is incorrect" To fix
this (or prevent it happening) revoke the permission first (/e /r) and
then reapply (/e /g)"

Good night

Sylvain RICHARD

* Re: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-08 22:44     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-02-08 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2008-02-08 22:29   ` Sylvain RICHARD
From: Sylvain RICHARD @ 2008-02-08 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2008-02-08 20:46 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-02-08 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 11:24:59AM +0100, PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:

Why are you quoting the header of the message in the body of the message?

Ditto:  http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR

@ 2008-02-08 18:41 ` PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
From: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE @ 2008-02-08 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remko Arts, cygwin

Wonderful, merçi beaucoup, Sylvain, that worked. Didn't realise this could be so easy. Cygwin documentation / FAQ people, maybe this would be wise to incorporate somewhere in the uninstall documentation on your website, as I suspect all users running winXP and higher experience these problems when having chacged file ownership.
Thanks again.

Remko

@ 2008-02-08 18:25 PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
From: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE @ 2008-02-08 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remko Arts, cygwin

@ 2008-02-08 15:30     ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-02-08 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Remko Arts wrote:

> Wonderful, merçi beaucoup, Sylvain, that worked. Didn't realise this could be so easy. Cygwin documentation / FAQ people, maybe this would be wise to incorporate somewhere in the uninstall documentation on your website, as I suspect all users running winXP and higher experience these problems when having chacged file ownership.

It's already there:
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all>.

Brian

* RE: Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-08 10:25   ` Remko Arts
From: Remko Arts @ 2008-02-08 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Sylvain RICHARD @ 2008-02-08 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Remko Arts wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed Cygwin with the ssh package. Now I want to uninstall
> Cygwin, but get the message Windows is unable to delete .ssh. Seems some
> exotic file protection is in place Windows can't handle. The only
> removal instructions I can find for windows are "delete the complete
> cygwin directory", which is, as mentioned impossible by normal means.
> Any suggestions?

Are you running as the same user the .ssh file is for?

Anyway, you can reset the ACLs to delete the file (approximative
translations, I run a French version of windows):
- In explorer, do a right click on the offending file(s)
- Properties
- In the Security tab, click Advanced
- Reset ownership if necessary (third tab). If you do this, it may be
necessary to close and reopen the "advanced" security properties
- Set permissions as resuired in the first tab (grant yourself "full
control" for example)

If what you see does not match what I describe, beware of "simple file
permissions" in tools/options/dsplay.

Hope that helps

Sylvain RICHARD

* Uninstalling Cygwin
@ 2008-02-08  9:59 Remko Arts
From: Remko Arts @ 2008-02-08  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I've installed Cygwin with the ssh package. Now I want to uninstall
Cygwin, but get the message Windows is unable to delete .ssh. Seems some
exotic file protection is in place Windows can't handle. The only
removal instructions I can find for windows are "delete the complete
cygwin directory", which is, as mentioned impossible by normal means.
Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Remko

* RE: Uninstalling cygwin
@ 2006-06-16 16:11     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-06-16 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 16 June 2006 14:16, julien wrote:

> I well know this faq that tells to uninstall first all services and to
> find them with cygrunsvr -L. But when I type this command, I get a
> "command not found". I can't go further.

  That's ok, you can just skip it; if you haven't installed cygrunsrv in the
first place, then there's no way you could have cygwin services running under
it.  So even if you did temporarily install cygrunsrv just to execute the
command, it would tell you that you have no cygwin services installed -
because you can't have installed any, because you haven't had cygrunsrv with
which to install them.

  IOW, just skip over that and carry on with the next step.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Uninstalling cygwin
@ 2006-06-16 13:23   ` julien
From: julien @ 2006-06-16 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thorsten Kampe a écrit :
> * julien (2006-06-15 06:37 +0000)
>> I got problems with cygwin under WinXP and I want to uninstall it
>> completely to re-install it correctly.
>> Cygwin is not in  the Windows Configuration panel/Uninstall
>>
>> I first deleted the Cygwin root folder and all subfolders, then I
>> re-installed Gygwin, but now, when doing a make to install a program, I
>> fall into an endless loop.
>>
>> The FAQ to uninstall tells: "you can list all services you have
>> installed with cygrunsrv -L" but when I type this command I get an
>> "Command not found" message.
>>
>> How can I unstall Cygwin completely?
>
> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all
>

> --

* Re: Uninstalling cygwin
@ 2006-06-15  7:32 ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2006-06-15  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* julien (2006-06-15 06:37 +0000)
> I got problems with cygwin under WinXP and I want to uninstall it
> completely to re-install it correctly.
> Cygwin is not in  the Windows Configuration panel/Uninstall
>
> I first deleted the Cygwin root folder and all subfolders, then I
> re-installed Gygwin, but now, when doing a make to install a program, I
> fall into an endless loop.
>
> The FAQ to uninstall tells: "you can list all services you have
> installed with cygrunsrv -L" but when I type this command I get an
> "Command not found" message.
>
> How can I unstall Cygwin completely?

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all

* Uninstalling cygwin
@ 2006-06-15  7:08 julien
From: julien @ 2006-06-15  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2004-06-23  9:52   ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2004-06-23  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thorsten Kampe schrieb:
> * luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au (2004-06-23 01:56 +0200)
>
>>A colleague at work is having some problems that are starting to look
>>as though they're due to a permission problem.
>>
>>I note that the FAQ at http://cygwin.com/faq.html says that Cygwin has
>>no automatic uninstall facility.  Since setup lets you choose to
>>uninstall, is that an error in the FAQ, or have I misunderstood setup's
>>uninstall option?
>

> No, you misunderstood the FAQ. With setup.exe you can uninstall
> individual packages but not Cygwin. To uninstall Cygwin you have to:

first kill all running cygwin programs and services.

   killall script in distro and automatic detection of cygwin services
   still pending.
   use e.g. pskill or procexp from www.sysinternals.com
   and net stop <service_name> or cygrunsrv --remove <service_name>

> rmdir /s /q C:\cygwin

login as Administrator to remove pending files and directories for which
you have no permissions.

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/

* Re: Uninstalling cygwin
@ 2004-06-23  3:29   ` - Barry -
From: - Barry - @ 2004-06-23  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Thorsten Kampe

I'm having the same problem (see
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2004-06/msg00080.php ). I tried
your first instruction and got the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>rmdir /s /q C:\cygwin
C:\cygwin\user\share - Access is denied.
C:\cygwin\usr\local\pgsql - Access is denied.
C:\cygwin\usr\share\POSTGR~1\data - Access is denied.
C:\cygwin\var\POSTGR~1 - Access is denied.

@ 2004-06-23  2:57 ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2004-06-23  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2004-06-23  0:24 luke.kendall
From: luke.kendall @ 2004-06-23  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

A colleague at work is having some problems that are starting to look
as though they're due to a permission problem.

I note that the FAQ at http://cygwin.com/faq.html says that Cygwin has
no automatic uninstall facility.  Since setup lets you choose to
uninstall, is that an error in the FAQ, or have I misunderstood setup's
uninstall option?

Incidentally, neither setup uninstall nor manual removal worked, since
the colleague (despite being local administrator for the machine), did
not have permission to remove various files.  The Cygwin install was
done by a system administrator here; the uninstall was attempted by the
privileged user (preparatory to a reinstall, BTW).

I just wanted to report the FAQ oddity; I'll continue looking through
the mailing list for info on the permission problem (his Cygwin version
could be anything up to 6 months old, so I can't give much useful info).

I've also been re-reading http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html,
and I notice that both the examples 2-1 and 2-2 for /etc/passwd and
/etc/group, and also the later section that describes the new scheme,
refer to groups (like 513 - none, and 547 - powerusers or pwrusers) that
don't seem to exist.

Regards,

luke

* Re: uninstalling cygwin
@ 2000-05-29 18:34 B&T
From: B&T @ 2000-05-29 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris Faylor wrote:
> Are you referring to the FAQ which says "Only partially updated for
> the latest net release" at the top of the page?

I did notice the FAQ said it was out of date.  I mainly wanted to
convey that I read every available piece of documentation, and the
only available documentation is out of date.

The last time I didn't convey that I'd read everything available,
as I had, Earnie Boyd posted a sarcastic reply ...

(about bothering to read the setup documentation, as it were)

>>While running the uninst.bat script wiped out most of the files,
>>it did not wipe out the registry, and setup refused to install
>>anything, saying it was all up to date.
>
>As we have said many times, setup.exe is a work in progress.  The
>uninstall part of setup is very weak.
>
>Setup should install everything as long as you don't use the "-u"
>option.  If this is not the case, then you've uncovered a bug.

Setup did not install anything (version 1.45, latest as of my note).
I tried setup with and without -u, and most other letters of the alphabet
in hope I might get some different behavior or some documentation.
It reported that I had same or more recent versions of everything.
Note that I was installing from a directory of latest downloads.
However, when I deleted he cygwin registry keys, setup installed
everything correctly.

* Re: uninstalling cygwin
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pusingpisan, cygwin

In a message dated 9/25/99 2:28:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
pusingpisan@yahoo.com writes:

<< how to uninstall cygwin (under
 Win98)? I have tried to use "add/remove program", >>
If it's fully installed, it should show up in add/remove; however, removing
it in the menu doesn't delete the installed directory structure.  That's easy
enough to do separately.  I don't imagine this has been a problem for anyone,
as I haven't seen it discussed.

Tim Prince
tprince@computer.org

* Re: uninstalling cygwin
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Carlson, cygwin

--- Thomas Carlson <pusingpisan@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Can anybody tell me how to uninstall cygwin (under
> Win98)? I have tried to use "add/remove program", but
> it is not listed there. Please feel free to email me
> directly for any info. Thanks a lot!!

This is simply a matter of deleteing the Cygnus folder and using RegEdit to
delete the keys under Software that contain the word Cygnus.

=====
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)

* uninstalling cygwin
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Thomas Carlson
From: Thomas Carlson @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Greetings,

Can anybody tell me how to uninstall cygwin (under
Win98)? I have tried to use "add/remove program", but
it is not listed there. Please feel free to email me
directly for any info. Thanks a lot!!

Regards, Tom Carlson

* Re: uninstalling cygwin
@ 1999-09-26 18:51 Earnie Boyd