* Re: /usr/bin and /usr/lib mount points (WAS: RE: telnet problems with current cygwin version)
@ 2000-06-15  6:07 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-06-15  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Ring; +Cc: 'Cygwin (E-mail)'

--- Peter Ring <PRI@cddk.dk> wrote:
-8<-

> BTW, I'm also a bit perplexed about /bin vs. /usr/bin ... There's a
> discussion about it starting at about this message
-8<-

The reason for these mount points is that some UNIX utilities depend on the
existance of /usr/bin and/or /usr/lib.  With out these the utilities will fail
to work.  Knowing this, and not wanting to create duplication, it was decided
to just create mount points of the physical directories.

If you remove them (and you have the right to do so), then you risk not being
able to run some utilities.

Regards,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: /usr/bin and /usr/lib mount points (WAS: RE: telnet problems with current cygwin version)
@ 2000-06-15 13:50 ` Ross Smith
From: Ross Smith @ 2000-06-15 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Cygwin (E-mail)'

From: "Earnie Boyd" <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

> The reason for these mount points is that some UNIX utilities depend on the
> existance of /usr/bin and/or /usr/lib.  With out these the utilities will fail
> to work.  Knowing this, and not wanting to create duplication, it was decided
> to just create mount points of the physical directories.

But why are they mount points instead of ordinary directories? Normal
Unix systems don't do it that way, so there certainly aren't any
utilities that depend on it. Why not just create /usr/bin and /usr/lib
as empty directories?

--
Ross Smith <ross.s@ihug.co.nz> The Internet Group, Auckland, New Zealand

* Re: /usr/bin and /usr/lib mount points (WAS: RE: telnet problems with current cygwin version)
@ 2000-06-15 14:02   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-06-15 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ross.s; +Cc: cygwin

> But why are they mount points instead of ordinary directories? Normal

Because we never know whether a program should go in /bin or /usr/bin,
so the mounts make all programs appear in both places.

* Re: /usr/bin and /usr/lib mount points (WAS: RE: telnet problems with current cygwin version)
@ 2000-06-16  1:56     ` Don Sharp
From: Don Sharp @ 2000-06-16  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnuwin32

DJ Delorie wrote:

> > But why are they mount points instead of ordinary directories? Normal
>
> Because we never know whether a program should go in /bin or /usr/bin,
> so the mounts make all programs appear in both places.

Please put this in the installation notes and/or the FAQ. I had been
wondering why the recommendation from Earnie was so strongly voiced. Now
I understand.
I have ash, bash, sh and cygwin as the only entries in /bin and the
shells are
also present in /usr/bin. On balance I agree the mount makes more sense
for Cygwin.

Thanks

Don Sharp

@ 2000-06-27  9:06       ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2000-06-27  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dwsharp; +Cc: cygwin

On Friday 16 Jun 00, Don Sharp writes:
> DJ Delorie wrote:
> >
> > > But why are they mount points instead of ordinary directories? Normal
> >
> > Because we never know whether a program should go in /bin or /usr/bin,
> > so the mounts make all programs appear in both places.
>
> Please put this in the installation notes and/or the FAQ. I had been
> wondering why the recommendation from Earnie was so strongly voiced. Now
> I understand.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away.

I have yet to update the FAQ entry "Why the wierd directory
structure?" in the "Using Cygwin" section of the FAQ, for the latest
net release.  That's where I'll add details to this effect.

BTW, the "Installation Instructions" section of the FAQ already points
out that these mounts are intentional, and should not be removed
unless you *really* know what you are doing.  So if you don't know the
rationale, you should at least know not to remove them.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
David

* Re: /usr/bin and /usr/lib mount points (WAS: RE: telnet problems with current cygwin version)
@ 2000-06-16  5:21 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-06-16  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Smith, 'Cygwin (E-mail)'

--- Ross Smith <ross.s@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> From: "Earnie Boyd" <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
> >
> > The reason for these mount points is that some UNIX utilities depend on the
> > existance of /usr/bin and/or /usr/lib.  With out these the utilities will
> fail
> > to work.  Knowing this, and not wanting to create duplication, it was
> decided
> > to just create mount points of the physical directories.
>
> But why are they mount points instead of ordinary directories? Normal
> Unix systems don't do it that way, so there certainly aren't any
> utilities that depend on it. Why not just create /usr/bin and /usr/lib
> as empty directories?

Ok, *you* can do that, let us know how it goes.  BTW, make sure you test out
every possible script, client program and server daemon before posting your
results.

Regards,

=====
---

@ 2000-06-15  9:16 ` Kazuhiro Fujieda
From: Kazuhiro Fujieda @ 2000-06-15  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>>> On Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:12:18 +0200
>>> Peter Ring <PRI@cddk.dk> said:

> I don't have any duplication, and I don't miss anything. I just have
> /usr, /bin, /usr/bin, and /usr/lib, with a fairly normal distribution of
> files between them (mainly determined by the tarballs). Just as on any
> other FHS compliant file hierarchy system. For me, it's simpler (read:
> less error-prone) this way.

I agree with you. ASFIK, there is no tool depending on /lib.
____
  | AIST      Kazuhiro Fujieda <fujieda@jaist.ac.jp>
  | HOKURIKU  School of Information Science
o_/ 1990      Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology

* RE: /usr/bin and /usr/lib mount points (WAS: RE: telnet problems with current cygwin version)
@ 2000-06-15  7:29 Peter Ring
From: Peter Ring @ 2000-06-15  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Cygwin (E-mail)'

I don't have any duplication, and I don't miss anything. I just have
/usr, /bin, /usr/bin, and /usr/lib, with a fairly normal distribution of
files between them (mainly determined by the tarballs). Just as on any
other FHS compliant file hierarchy system. For me, it's simpler (read:
less error-prone) this way.

Kind regards
Peter Ring