* volunteers gratefully accepted
@ 2000-12-20 21:15 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2000-12-20 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From time to time I do a google search for "cygwin" to see what kind of
links are out there referring to the project.

I'm always somewhat shocked by the number of pages which reference
cygwin.  I'm almost equally shocked to see that some of the pages are
actually maintained by frequent posters here.

Given the number of times that we've asked for volunteers, I wonder if
we've made it clear that we'll accept volunteers for any part of the
project.

For instance, if you are a whiz in web design, we'll gladly accept input
on the web pages.

If you are a world class author, we'd love to put you to work on the
documentation.

If you think that you can explain things better than the FAQ or that
there deserves to be more focused explanations given on some topics, we
can easily give you access to our web pages to collaborate with the
current FAQ, documentation, and web people.

I guess what I'm saying is that I certainly understand the desire to put
your name up in lights on your own web page.  And, it is gratifying for
me to see links to cygwin all over the place.  But, I'd like people to
consider possibly also donating their time and skill to the project
itself.

It won't be as glamorous.  It won't be as easy.  You won't be able to
say *anything* that you want or make any changes that you want.  I, and
other people, will probably have opinions on what you do and will
occasionally veto stuff or suggest changes.

But, if you do contribute, your work will benefit a lot of people;
arguably more than will benefit from your personal web page.  And, I
pledge that I'll add your name to the "Who are we" part of the Cygwin
web page.

If the idea of contributing directly to the cygwin project still doesn't
thrill you, then at least consider adding your web page to the "post new
news" section of http://cygwin.com/ so that we can start adding links to
helpful sites.

Anyway, don't get me wrong.  I appreciate any work that anyone does
towards helping this project.  However, I hope that people will consider
the somewhat thankless task of working directly towards improving the
project itself by working on some of the parts of its infrastructure whether
that is the web page, the source code, or the documentation.

Christopher Faylor
Cygwin Engineering Manager

* Re: volunteers gratefully accepted
@ 2000-12-27 16:58         ` Stephen C. Biggs
From: Stephen C. Biggs @ 2000-12-27 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 26 Dec 2000, at 22:39, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 10:38:16PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >And so, you sent me private email specifically asking for the thing
> >I didn't want to do.
>
> Sorry.  I missed that you had sent mail to both me and the cygwin
> mailing list for some reason.  Please don't do that.

Don't do what? Send mail both to you AND to the list at the same
time? That seems to be the standard way of replying to someone on
this list as well as keeping it public... But, since you requested, I
won't do that to you again....

even though YOU did exactly that....

> Date sent:      	Tue, 26 Dec 2000 22:38:16 -0500
> From:           	Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com>
> To:             	"Stephen C. Biggs" <s_c_biggs@bigfoot.com>
> Copies to:      	cygwin@cygwin.com

Please, let's not get into a flame war about this....

The reason why I asked you to contact me privately was that I
thought that there might be something on a list of yours that might
not have general interest for the list...

never mind...

@ 2000-12-26 19:39       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2000-12-26 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-12-26 19:38     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2000-12-26 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen C. Biggs; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 11:02:30AM -0800, Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
>I am a systems programmer of >25 years experience... I am very
>hot on the idea of Cygwin, so I am already doing some things such
>as porting already written applications (BIND, RPM, etc...)  I am still
>waiting for my "porters" directory on franken.de which hasn't either
>been granted or denied.
>
>Contact me privately and let me know what the priorities are...  In
>this instance, I would need "marching orders" because I don't want
>to be in conflict with what is already in place...

Let me get this straight.  I sent email which essentially said that I
was looking for self-motivated people and that I didn't want to be
giving people "marching orders" and asked that people use the public
mailing list to come to a consensus.

And so, you sent me private email specifically asking for the thing
I didn't want to do.

I don't know why "this instance" would be any different from anyone else
who was willing to volunteer.  Using your logic, I should now expect a
host of other people to be contacting me privately using exactly this
reasoning.  This was exactly what I was trying to forestall with the
email message that you quoted.

Anyway, I appreciate the willingness to help but I would again ask that
you use the cygwin and cygwin-apps mailing lists to figure out what other
people are doing.  You can also look at the cygwin to-do.

If you need a hint, it seems to me that the current hot spot in the
cygwin mailing list is people who want to download only "what they need"
using the setup program.  setup.exe needs some way of categorizing the
various packages so that people can download only what they need.  So,
I would envision a "base package" that included cygwin, and ash, a
"shell package" that included "bash", "fileutils", "textutils", etc.

If you find this interesting, please discuss it in the public mailing
lists.  I want any discussion to be public.

cgf

@ 2000-12-26 11:03   ` Stephen C. Biggs
From: Stephen C. Biggs @ 2000-12-26 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor, cygwin