* Re: Running cygwinb19 and cygwin-1.1 based programs in parallel
@ 2000-12-21 12:22 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-12-21 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Oberhuber, 'cygwin@sources.redhat.com'

--- Martin Oberhuber <martin.oberhuber@windriver.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to run some cygwinb19 based compilers (which I have only in
> binary form) with my cygwin-1.1 based make system (make, bash etc.).

What compilers don't you have the source for?  Since it is dependant upon
CygwinB19 then it is Open Source and the source should be available as well as
the source for CygwinB19 itself.  We the Cygwin community are interested in
eliminating the old versions of Cygwin existing on the net especially when they
are not in compliance with the license.

You cannot have two differing versions of Cygwin in memory at the same time as
it is shipped out of the box.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com

---         < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com >         ---
--- Cygwin: POSIX on Windows < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ > ---
---   Minimalist GNU for Windows < http://www.mingw.org/ >   ---

* Re: Running cygwinb19 and cygwin-1.1 based programs in parallel
@ 2000-12-21 13:00     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2000-12-21 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen, cygwin

At 03:31 PM 12/21/2000, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Thursday 21 December 2000 19:28, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
> > better yet, pull out your favorite binary editor and edit the
> > executables that use cygwinb19.dll to use cygwin1.dll.  Mind you,
> > fill in the extra characters left over in this operation with spaces,
>
>Spaces??? Shouldn't that be ASCII 0?
>
>Corina

Actually, last time I did this, along time ago, I edited the file with
vim in the binary mode and "spaces" that I used worked fine.  I expect
ASCII zero would be OK too, though I haven't tried this.  Regardless, this
isn't the method for the faint of heart.  Neither is using out-dated
toolsets!;-)

* Re: Running cygwinb19 and cygwin-1.1 based programs in parallel
@ 2000-12-21 12:31   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-21 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thursday 21 December 2000 19:28, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
> better yet, pull out your favorite binary editor and edit the
> executables that use cygwinb19.dll to use cygwin1.dll.  Mind you,
> fill in the extra characters left over in this operation with spaces,

Spaces??? Shouldn't that be ASCII 0?

Corina

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Running cygwinb19 and cygwin-1.1 based programs in parallel
@ 2000-12-21 10:33 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2000-12-21 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Oberhuber, 'cygwin@sources.redhat.com'

At 11:50 AM 12/21/2000, Martin Oberhuber wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I need to run some cygwinb19 based compilers (which I have only in
>binary form) with my cygwin-1.1 based make system (make, bash etc.).
>
>Since in that case, cywinb19.dll and cygwin1.dll are in memory at
>the same time, can I expect the two DLL versions to work together
>correctly? - So far, I have not found any problems but I was only
>able to do a quick test and I'd like to be really sure.
>
>Thanks for your answer,
>
>Martin

Keep going and you'll find problems.  If you really need to work with
the old compiler toolset (why's that?), remove cygwinb19.dll and copy
cygwin1.dll in its place (i.e. rename it to cygwinb19.dll).  Or, better
yet, pull out your favorite binary editor and edit the executables that
use cygwinb19.dll to use cygwin1.dll.  Mind you, fill in the extra
characters left over in this operation with spaces, otherwise you'll nuke
your executable.  Still, I think we'd all like to see you use current
tools, compiler et al.!:-)

* Running cygwinb19 and cygwin-1.1 based programs in parallel
@ 2000-12-21  8:51 Martin Oberhuber