* Re: OK, now what?
@ 2000-12-21 12:38 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-12-21 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott M Blackledge, cygwin

--- Scott M Blackledge <scottb2@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> I tried downloading the current version of cygwin today.  Yes, I've read
> the FAQ and the readme's.  Perhaps its just been a long day, but I've
> executed setup.exe and after clicking on the cygwyn desktop icon, the DOS
> window pops up with
>
>      I have no name!IBM-R4I1LNZXQ9E ~

This is just the bash shell prompt set in the /etc/profile file.  It is
controlled by setting the PS1 variable.  You can modify the /etc/profile file
to your liking.  Are you on a W9x system?  The `I have no name' is taken from
the `id -un' command.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com

---         < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com >         ---
--- Cygwin: POSIX on Windows < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ > ---
---   Minimalist GNU for Windows < http://www.mingw.org/ >   ---

* Re: OK, now what?
@ 2000-12-21 13:09 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-12-21 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott M Blackledge, cygwin

Refer to the documentation found at http://cygwin.com concerning mkpasswd and
mkgroup.

Cheers,
Earnie.

--- Scott M Blackledge <scottb2@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I'm running on Windows 2000.
>
> Scott
>

> >--- Scott M Blackledge <scottb2@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >> I tried downloading the current version of cygwin today.  Yes, I've read
> >> the FAQ and the readme's.  Perhaps its just been a long day, but I've
> >> executed setup.exe and after clicking on the cygwyn desktop icon, the
> DOS
> >> window pops up with
> >>
> >>      I have no name!IBM-R4I1LNZXQ9E ~
> >>

> >This is just the bash shell prompt set in the /etc/profile file.  It is
> >controlled by setting the PS1 variable.  You can modify the /etc/profile
> file
> >to your liking.  Are you on a W9x system?  The `I have no name' is taken
> from
> >the `id -un' command.

* Re: OK, now what?
@ 2000-12-21 12:54 Scott M Blackledge
From: Scott M Blackledge @ 2000-12-21 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd, cygwin

I'm running on Windows 2000.

Scott

>--- Scott M Blackledge <scottb2@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>> I tried downloading the current version of cygwin today.  Yes, I've read
>> the FAQ and the readme's.  Perhaps its just been a long day, but I've
>> executed setup.exe and after clicking on the cygwyn desktop icon, the
DOS
>> window pops up with
>>
>>      I have no name!IBM-R4I1LNZXQ9E ~
>>

>This is just the bash shell prompt set in the /etc/profile file.  It is
>controlled by setting the PS1 variable.  You can modify the /etc/profile
file
>to your liking.  Are you on a W9x system?  The `I have no name' is taken
from
>the `id -un' command.

* OK, now what?
@ 2000-12-21 12:16 ` Markus Hoenicka
From: Markus Hoenicka @ 2000-12-21 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Scott M Blackledge writes:
 > I tried downloading the current version of cygwin today.  Yes, I've read
 > the FAQ and the readme's.  Perhaps its just been a long day, but I've
 > executed setup.exe and after clicking on the cygwyn desktop icon, the DOS
 > window pops up with
 >
 >      I have no name!IBM-R4I1LNZXQ9E ~

I guess you did not set the environment variable USER. Look at
/etc/profile. The prompt that you see is set in the variable PS1. The
default setting is something like $USER@$HOSTNAME, so if these
variables don't exist or contain strange things, your prompt will look
odd.

Markus
--
Markus Hoenicka, PhD
UT Houston Medical School

* OK, now what?
@ 2000-12-21 12:04 Scott M Blackledge
From: Scott M Blackledge @ 2000-12-21 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I tried downloading the current version of cygwin today.  Yes, I've read
the FAQ and the readme's.  Perhaps its just been a long day, but I've
executed setup.exe and after clicking on the cygwyn desktop icon, the DOS
window pops up with

     I have no name!IBM-R4I1LNZXQ9E ~

in the display.  I've probably missed setting an environment variable or
two and perhaps I need to create password entries, but I don't know exactly
for what.  (The new user documentation is a bit sparse.)  Oh yeah, I looked
in the c:\cygwin\cygwin.bat file.  The readme file shows an environment
variable being set and the path being set but I only see the following in
my file:

     @echo off

     C:
     chdir \cygwin\bin

     bash --login -i

Take care,
Scott

Custom Design (Millicode)
Dept A83A, 705-2-G08, MS P310
Poughkeepsie, NY 12602
EMAIL:  scottb2@us.ibm.com   VM: SCOTTB2@PK705VMA
PHONE:  (845) 435-7141   TIE: 295-7141   FAX:  (845) 435-1593