* permissions
@ 2001-03-30 10:24 Rick Rauenzahn
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rick Rauenzahn @ 2001-03-30 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I guess that ntsec makes all of the files in the cygwin tree have
permission rwx across the board.  I gather this from reading the
user's guide about ntsec.  Is this desirable, or should I try to muck
with it, and set the permissions more like a Unix /usr tree?

Rick

* Re: permissions
@ 2001-03-30 10:56 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-03-30 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Rauenzahn, cygwin

At 01:24 PM 3/30/2001, Rick Rauenzahn wrote:

>I guess that ntsec makes all of the files in the cygwin tree have
>permission rwx across the board.  I gather this from reading the
>user's guide about ntsec.  Is this desirable, or should I try to muck
>with it, and set the permissions more like a Unix /usr tree?

Perhaps you want to experiment with this for a while.  What you suggest
is not reflected by my experience.

* Re: permissions
@ 2001-03-30 11:02 ` Michael Erdely
From: Michael Erdely @ 2001-03-30 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Typically, I run these commands after installing Cygwin:

chown -R administrators.administrators /
chown -R myuser.administrators /home/myuser
chmod -R og-w /
chmod -R a+rwxt /tmp
chmod -R 644 /etc/*
chmod -R 755 /etc/postinstall /etc/setup /etc/ssmtp

-ME

> I guess that ntsec makes all of the files in the cygwin tree have
> permission rwx across the board.  I gather this from reading the
> user's guide about ntsec.  Is this desirable, or should I try to muck
> with it, and set the permissions more like a Unix /usr tree?
>
> Rick
>

> --

* Re: permissions
@ 2001-03-30 14:49 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-03-30 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 11:24:27AM -0700, Rick Rauenzahn wrote:

> I guess that ntsec makes all of the files in the cygwin tree have
> permission rwx across the board.  I gather this from reading the

ntsec doesn't set that permissions. Switching ntsec on just show
you what is really set by Windows as the default: Everyone has
all permissions which is equivalent to POSIX perms rwxrwxrwx.

> user's guide about ntsec.  Is this desirable, or should I try to muck
> with it, and set the permissions more like a Unix /usr tree?

That's your choice! Except when playing with sshd, though.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Permissions
@ 2001-12-04  3:40 ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2001-12-04  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Vennervald Madsen; +Cc: cygwin

Jacob Vennervald Madsen wrote:

> Hi List
>
> I'm having a permission problem with Cygwin.
> When i try to create a file it says that I don't have permission to do
> so.

You dont give any information on your system configuration, but however
check this link - it may help:
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html#TOC44

* Permissions
@ 2001-12-03  5:28 Jacob Vennervald Madsen
From: Jacob Vennervald Madsen @ 2001-12-03  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi List

I'm having a permission problem with Cygwin.
When i try to create a file it says that I don't have permission to do
so.

Any ideas?

Jacob

* Re: permissions
@ 2001-04-24 16:12 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2001-04-24 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: karlm30; +Cc: cygwin

> $ chown -R administrators.administrators /
> chown: //bin: No such file or directory
>
> Have I broken something, or is this a bash problem?

It looks more like a bad coincidence.  Chown (et al) have
inadvertently created a path that looks like a windows network drive
(think "\\machine\foo\bar").

* Re: permissions
@ 2001-04-24 15:30 Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2001-04-24 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi All...

I just tried chown and got the following result.

$ chown -R administrators.administrators /
chown: //bin: No such file or directory
chown: //cygwin.bat: No such file or directory
chown: //cygwin.ico: No such file or directory
chown: //etc: No such file or directory
chown: //home: No such file or directory
chown: //lib: No such file or directory
chown: //openssh-2.5.2p2: No such file or directory
chown: //sbin: No such file or directory
chown: //setup.log: No such file or directory
chown: //setup.log.full: No such file or directory
chown: //tmp: No such file or directory
chown: //usr: No such file or directory
chown: //var: No such file or directory

for now I did a

$ cd /

followed by

$ chown -R administrators.administrators .

which worked. I had the same problem with chmod. I am running the latest
released code (as of 07:30 PDT) on the mirrors. I have 'CYGWIN=tty ntsec'

Have I broken something, or is this a bash problem?

Thanks,

...Karl

>From: "Michael Erdely" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
>To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
>Subject: Re: permissions
>Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:01:59 -0500
>
>Typically, I run these commands after installing Cygwin:
>
>chown -R administrators.administrators /
>chown -R myuser.administrators /home/myuser
>chmod -R og-w /
>chmod -R a+rwxt /tmp
>chmod -R 644 /etc/*
>chmod -R 755 /etc/postinstall /etc/setup /etc/ssmtp
>
>-ME

* RE: Permissions
@ 2000-06-08 11:51 Parker, Ron
From: Parker, Ron @ 2000-06-08 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mvdv, Cygwin

> why does this work OK
>
> /usr/bin
> bash-2.04$ sed -n 'p' /usr/info/time.info
>
> < ... output omitted .... >
>
> but this not work:
>
> bash-2.04$ for FI in `ls /usr/info/*.info`; do  sed -n 'p' $FI; done
> sed: can't read /usr/info/autoconf.info: No such file or directory

It must be something in your configuration.  It runs just fine on my
machine.  To quote Ernie, "The output from cygcheck -s -v -r might be useful
in this case."

Just a note on your script fragment.  the 'ls' is not needed.  The following
will work as well:

	for FI in /usr/info/*.info; do  sed -n 'p' $FI; done

* Permissions
@ 2000-06-07 23:15 Mark Van De Vyver
From: Mark Van De Vyver @ 2000-06-07 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Hi,

Still v new to Cygwin with not much unix experience so this is probably
trivial...

why does this work OK

/usr/bin
bash-2.04$ sed -n 'p' /usr/info/time.info

< ... output omitted .... >

but this not work:

bash-2.04$ for FI in `ls /usr/info/*.info`; do  sed -n 'p' $FI; done
sed: can't read /usr/info/autoconf.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/automake.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/bison.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/byacc.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/cpp.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/dejagnu.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/diff.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/fileutils.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/find.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/flex.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/g77.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/gawk.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/gcc.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/gperf.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/gzip.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/m4.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/make.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/sed.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/sh-utils.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/standards.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/tar.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/textutils.info: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/info/time.info: No such file or directory
/usr/bin
bash-2.04$

This arose while trying to install info following a mail msg posted to this
list.

Any tips much appreciated...

TIA

Mark Van De Vyver
Department of Accounting and Finance
University of Western Australia
Hacket Drive
Nedlands    6907
Perth, WA
mailto:mvdv@bigfoot.com
http://www.bigfoot.com/~mvdv
+61 8 9345-1572 (after hrs - GMT+8)
+61 8 9380-2510 (direct)
+61 8 9380-2917 (general office)
+61 8 9380-1047 (fax)

* RE: permissions
@ 1999-10-31 19:54 ` Mike MacDonald
From: Mike MacDonald @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ssiddiqi@nspm.ipass.net', 'Mike MacDonald',
	'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

I think I know the problem you are talking about, I had a Makefile that
referenced /bin/gcc instead of just gcc - that seemed to cause a -remap
error..  Weird though..  This is not that one..  It really has to be
something pretty stupid..

Yes, ntsec is on by default in the snapshots.  Unless you have things set
up just right, this will cause trouble.  You can find info about how to
set things up for ntsec in the mail archives (can't remember if it was the
cygwin list archives or the cygwin-developers list archives though).  If
you don't care about using ntsec, its fine to turn it off as you have...

Larry

At 04:00 PM 10/29/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, I have it working now I think..
>
>Its the latest dll..  It just doesn't set permissions properly..  I think
>its disabled now, and I think its set up right, but I dunno..  I put the
>nontsec in my CYGWIN variable, and set the permissions through nt..  Now it
>SEEMS to be working..

* RE: permissions
@ 1999-10-31 19:54   ` Suhaib Siddiqi
From: Suhaib Siddiqi @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike MacDonald, cygwin

No idea.  Maybe some GCC guru like Mumit could help.

I do remember a while ago getting the -remap error, but the problem
was
in my Makefiles.  I do not remember what exactly I did to fix it.

Suhaib

* RE: permissions
@ 1999-10-31 19:54 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin users

--- Suhaib Siddiqi <sssiddiqi@ipass.net> wrote:

> -remap must somewhere in your Makefiles.  Check configure scripts.
> make sure you have only one and the latest version of cpp.exe in
> your PATH.
> If you are using network mounted drive, Cygwin may run slow.  When I
> compile a big project on my Windows Nt machine, i always first
> logout
> from Netware server and unmount the netware mounted drives... for me
> it helped.
-8<-

There is no need to do this.  Simply set the value of PATH in the ~/.bashrc
file to exclude the network drives.

I have in my .bashrc file:
export
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/contrib/bin:/usr/local/bin:/c/winnt:/c/winnt/system32

=====
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

From: Suhaib Siddiqi @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike MacDonald, ssiddiqi, cygwin

Why do not you post the cygcheck output as Ernie suggested.
i think you have something unusual in PATH.  Your compilation
problems
does look like some sort of Cygwin installation problem.

From: Mike MacDonald @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ssiddiqi@nspm.ipass.net', 'Mike MacDonald',
	'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Well, I've switched back to 2.91, and I won't get a chance to go to 2.95
until monday, but here they are :)

Why do not you post the cygcheck output as Ernie suggested.
i think you have something unusual in PATH.  Your compilation
problems
does look like some sort of Cygwin installation problem.

[-- Attachment #2: stats --]
[-- Type: text/x-Algol68, Size: 10088 bytes --]

Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Fri Oct 29 17:35:13 1999

WinNT Ver 4.0 build 1381 Service Pack 4

Path:	/usr/local/bin
	/usr/X11R6.4/bin
	/bin
	/root/usr/X11R6.4/bin
	/usr/bin
	/usr/local/bin
	/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32
	/cygdrive/c/WINNT
	/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Mts
	/cygdrive/c/MSSQL/BINN
	.
	/cygdrive/c/bin
	/cygdrive/d/Program Files/Rational/common
	/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Mercury Interactive/LoadRunner/bin
	/cygdrive/c/winnt/system32
	/cygdrive/c/winnt
	/usr/bin

SysDir: C:\WINNT\System32
WinDir: C:\WINNT

CYGWIN = `nontsec tty notitle binmode'
HOME = `/home/root'
MAKE_MODE = `UNIX'
PWD = `/usr/src/gimp-1.1.8/libgimp'

CLASSPATH = `C:\jdk1.2.2\lib\classes.zip;C:\Program Files\Mercury Interactive\LoadRunner\classes'
COLORFGBG = `0;default;15'
COLORTERM = `rxvt-xpm'
COMPUTERNAME = `MMACDONALD'
COMSPEC = `C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe'
DISPLAY = `:0.0'
HOMEDRIVE = `C:'
HOMEPATH = `\'
HOSTNAME = `MMACDONALD'
HOSTTYPE = `i586'
INCLUDE = `C:\Program Files\Mts\Include'
LIB = `C:\Program Files\Mts\Lib'
LOGONSERVER = `\\PDC'
MACHTYPE = `i586-pc-cygwin32'
NTRESKIT = `C:\NTReskit'
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS = `1'
OS2LIBPATH = `C:\WINNT\system32\os2\dll;'
OS = `Windows_NT'
OSTYPE = `cygwin32'
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE = `x86'
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER = `x86 Family 6 Model 5 Stepping 2, GenuineIntel'
PROCESSOR_LEVEL = `6'
PROCESSOR_REVISION = `0502'
SHELL = `/bin/bash'
SHLVL = `1'
SYSTEMDRIVE = `C:'
SYSTEMROOT = `C:\WINNT'
TEMP = `C:\TEMP'
TERM = `xterm-color'
TMP = `C:\TEMP'
USERDOMAIN = `TSI_TAMPA'
USERNAME = `m.macdonald'
USERPROFILE = `C:\WINNT\Profiles\m.macdonald.000'
WINDIR = `C:\WINNT'
WINDOWID = `67108866'
_ = `/bin/cygcheck'
TZ = `EST5EDT4,M4.1.0/2,M10.5.0/2'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
  (default) = `/cygdrive'
  cygdrive flags = 0x00000020
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/
  (default) = `d:/root'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/bin
  (default) = `d:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/dload
  (default) = `d:/dload/cygwin'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/etc
  (default) = `d:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/etc'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/include
  (default) = `D:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/i586-cygwin32/include'
  flags = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/lib
  (default) = `d:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/share
  (default) = `d:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/share'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\00
  (default) = `d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\etc'
  unix = `/etc'
  fbinary = 0x00000001
  fsilent = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\01
  (default) = `d:\dload\cygwin'
  unix = `/dload'
  fbinary = 0x00000001
  fsilent = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\02
  (default) = `d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin'
  unix = `/bin'
  fbinary = 0x00000001
  fsilent = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\03
  (default) = `d:\root'
  unix = `/'
  fbinary = 0x00000001
  fsilent = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\&Programs\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\&Programs\Cygnus Solutions\Menu
  (default) = (unsupported type)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin B20
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin B20\B20.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\00
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\01
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\02
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\03
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\04
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\05
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\06
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\07
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\08
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\09
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0E
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0F
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\10
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\11
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\12
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\13
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\14
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\15
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\16
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\17
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\18
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\19
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\GNUPro
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\GNUPro\i586-cygwin32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\GNUPro\i586-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\GNUPro\i586-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\cygwin-B20.1
  (default) = `d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20'
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Cygnus Cygwin B20
  (default) = `C:\WINNT\IsUninst.exe -fd:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\Uninst.isu'
  DisplayName = `Cygwin B20'

a:  fd           N/A    N/A
c:  hd  NTFS    9538Mb  78% CP CS UN PA FC
d:  hd  NTFS    8675Mb  35% CP CS UN PA FC
e:  cd           N/A    N/A
f:  cd           N/A    N/A
g:  net NTFS    2070Mb  42% CP CS UN PA FC
h:  net          N/A    N/A
i:  net          N/A    N/A
p:  net NTFS   10231Mb   7% CP CS UN PA FC
x:  net NTFS    2000Mb  49% CP CS UN PA FC

D:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\include  /usr/include  user    textmode
d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin  /bin     user    binmode
d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\lib  /usr/lib  user    binmode
d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\share  /usr/share  user    binmode
d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\etc  /etc     user    binmode
d:\dload\cygwin  /dload   user    binmode
d:\root  /        user    binmode

Found: d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\bash.exe
Found: d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cat.exe
Found: c:\Program Files\Mercury Interactive\LoadRunner\bin\cpp.exe
Found: d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\find.exe
Found: d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\gcc.exe
Found: d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\gdb.exe
Found: d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe
Found: d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\ls.exe
Found: d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\make.exe
Found: d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\sh.exe

  371k 1998/12/01 d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygtcl80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtcl80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/1 3:25
    5k 1998/12/01 d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygtclpip80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
   10k 1998/12/01 d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygtclreg80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtclreg80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/1 3:25
  600k 1998/12/01 d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygtk80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtk80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/1 3:28
  532k 1999/10/28 d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=1999/10/28 0:23
  378k 1999/02/03 d:\root\usr\bin\cygtcl80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtcl80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/11/26 3:18
    5k 1999/02/03 d:\root\usr\bin\cygtclpip80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
   10k 1999/02/03 d:\root\usr\bin\cygtclreg80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtclreg80.dll" v0.0 ts=1999/1/23 5:17
  609k 1999/02/03 d:\root\usr\bin\cygtk80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtk80.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/19 20:15
Use -h to see help about each section

From: Suhaib Siddiqi @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike MacDonald, 'Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)'; +Cc: cygwin

From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike MacDonald, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

It would help to know what version of the cygwin1.dll you're using.  Assuming
you're using a snapshot, add nontsec to the list of settings for the CYGWIN
variable _BEFORE_ you start a cygwin process.  Otherwise, be specific.

=====

@ 1999-10-29 14:55 Mike MacDonald
From: Mike MacDonald @ 1999-10-29 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ssiddiqi@nspm.ipass.net', 'Mike MacDonald',

@ 1999-10-29 14:43 ` Suhaib Siddiqi
From: Suhaib Siddiqi @ 1999-10-29 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike MacDonald, ssiddiqi, cygwin

Why do not you post the cygcheck output as Ernie suggested.
i think you have something unusual in PATH.  Your compilation
problems
does look like some sort of Cygwin installation problem.

* RE: permissions
@ 1999-10-29 14:33 Mike MacDonald

No idea.  Maybe some GCC guru like Mumit could help.

I do remember a while ago getting the -remap error, but the problem
was
in my Makefiles.  I do not remember what exactly I did to fix it.

Suhaib

* RE: permissions
@ 1999-10-29 14:27 ` Suhaib Siddiqi
From: Suhaib Siddiqi @ 1999-10-29 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike MacDonald, cygwin

No idea.  Maybe some GCC guru like Mumit could help.

I do remember a while ago getting the -remap error, but the problem
was
in my Makefiles.  I do not remember what exactly I did to fix it.

Suhaib

* RE: permissions
@ 1999-10-29 14:17 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-10-29 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin users

@ 1999-10-29 14:05 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-10-29 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike MacDonald, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

=====

@ 1999-10-29 13:37 ` Suhaib Siddiqi
From: Suhaib Siddiqi @ 1999-10-29 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike MacDonald, 'Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)'; +Cc: cygwin

-remap must somewhere in your Makefiles.  Check configure scripts.
make sure you have only one and the latest version of cpp.exe in
your PATH.
If you are using network mounted drive, Cygwin may run slow.  When I
compile a big project on my Windows Nt machine, i always first
logout
from Netware server and unmount the netware mounted drives... for me
it helped.

Suhaib

* RE: permissions
@ 1999-10-29 13:21 Mike MacDonald

Yes, ntsec is on by default in the snapshots.  Unless you have things set
up just right, this will cause trouble.  You can find info about how to
set things up for ntsec in the mail archives (can't remember if it was the
cygwin list archives or the cygwin-developers list archives though).  If
you don't care about using ntsec, its fine to turn it off as you have...

Larry

At 04:00 PM 10/29/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, I have it working now I think..
>
>Its the latest dll..  It just doesn't set permissions properly..  I think
>its disabled now, and I think its set up right, but I dunno..  I put the
>nontsec in my CYGWIN variable, and set the permissions through nt..  Now it
>SEEMS to be working..

* permissions
@ 1999-10-29 12:36 Mike MacDonald
From: Mike MacDonald @ 1999-10-29 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)