* gcc
@ 2001-03-31 11:06 John Weeks
From: John Weeks @ 2001-03-31 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I've just installed cygwin 1.1.8 on a Win2K system. Attempts to do a simple
compile (gcc -o t.exe t.c) give this error: The procedure entry point
getrlimit could not be located in the dynamic link library cygwin1.dll. The
installation looked like it woked properly, everything else that I've tried
so far seems to work.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
John Weeks

* Re: gcc
@ 2001-03-31 13:06 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-03-31 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 12:06:44AM -0700, John Weeks wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I've just installed cygwin 1.1.8 on a Win2K system. Attempts to do a simple
>compile (gcc -o t.exe t.c) give this error: The procedure entry point
>getrlimit could not be located in the dynamic link library cygwin1.dll. The
>installation looked like it woked properly, everything else that I've tried
>so far seems to work.
>
>Anyone have any suggestions?

Get rid of all versions of cygwin1.dll on your system except for the newest.
Use the Windows search facility to find the older versions.

cgf

* RE: gcc
@ 2001-03-31 14:14   ` John Weeks
From: John Weeks @ 2001-03-31 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

There is only one copy of cygwin1.dll - the one that just got installed.
I've done a search to be sure.

@ 2001-03-31 14:24     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-03-31 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 03:14:52AM -0700, John Weeks wrote:
>There is only one copy of cygwin1.dll - the one that just got installed.
>I've done a search to be sure.

Sorry, but I don't believe you.  Either you don't have the latest
version of cygwin1.dll or you have an older version someplace like
your windows/system directory.

getrlimit is exported by Cygwin 1.1.8.

What do 'cygcheck /bin/gcc.exe' and 'cygcheck -r -s -v' show?

cgf

* Re: GCC
@ 2008-08-18 12:20   ` John Emmas
From: John Emmas @ 2008-08-18 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks Hugh

I found it now in the 'Devel' branch and as you said, it doesn't seem to get
installed by default.  Just updating now.

Regards,

John.

From: Hugh Sasse @ 2008-08-18 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Emmas; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, John Emmas wrote:

> Hi there - I only installed Cygwin yesterday so I'm still fumbling in the
> dark.
>
> One thing I'm trying to find out is whether or not it installed GCC.  Does
> GCC get installed automatically or do I need to install the MinGW option?
> (I noticed that the MinGW option seems to be skipped by default).

Usually it is skipped.  Running setup again is the normal way to update
things.  If you click on "view" a few times you can see the expanded list
sorted alphabetically by package.  It's easy to see if a particular package
is installed or not that way.

> Thanks,
>
> John

         HTH
         Hugh

* GCC
@ 2008-08-18 11:56 John Emmas
From: John Emmas @ 2008-08-18 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-05-25  9:46 hongxun lee
From: hongxun lee @ 2002-05-25  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

'Currently GCC contains front ends for C, C++, Objective C, Fortran, Java,
and Ada, as well as libraries for these languages (libstdc++, libgcj,...)'
(http://gcc.gnu.org/)

Does it mean that gcc now can work as an Ada compiler? Thanks

* Re: gcc
@ 2002-01-03 16:21 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2002-01-03 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Givon Zirkind, cygwin

It's under Devel in the package selection page.  It requires binutils; if that doesn't select itself, add that to your selections.
From: Givon Zirkind @ 2002-01-02  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-05-08  6:00 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-05-08  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bryan; +Cc: cygwin

Bryan Higgins wrote:

> I did an update the other day and now gcc is broken.  I get a message from the
> loader saying it can't find crt0.o.  That file is in /lib where it's always
> been.  If I run ld and give crt0.o explicitly, another error message results
> about more unfound stuff.
>
> I've got a somewhat unstandard setup.  I want to be able to access all of my
> files, so instead of mounting / to point to \cygwin, I've got mount points
> /lib /usr and so on which point into \cygwin.

Did you also update binutils, w32api and mingw packages?  This is
required for the update of gcc.

> What is the "cygdrive" business?  Is it new?

http://www.google.com/search?q=cygwin+%2Bcygdrive

Earnie.

* gcc
@ 2001-05-07 17:49 Bryan Higgins
From: Bryan Higgins @ 2001-05-07 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-11-09 11:01 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-11-09 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Stanojevic, cygwin

--- Milan Stanojevic <milanst@beotel.yu> wrote:
> I've installed cygwin, bash and gcc using setup.exe that I've downloaded
> from cygwin site. But when I try to use gcc I get error message saying
> that it cannot find 'as' . What can be the problem?

Run setup again.  Perhaps with a different mirror.  You did not get the full
packages.  Setup will know what is missing.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com

---         < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com >         ---
--- Cygwin: POSIX on Windows < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ > ---
---   Minimalist GNU for Windows < http://www.mingw.org/ >   ---

* Re: GCC
@ 2000-11-09 10:45   ` Milan Stanojevic
From: Milan Stanojevic @ 2000-11-09 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cal_erickson, cygwin, Emilian.Medve

Cal Erickson wrote:

> Milan,
> Did you also download binutils? This is where as the Gnu Assembler is.
> You also probably need ld which is also part of binutils.
> Cal

 Thanks. I didn't realize that I need binutils also.
			Milan

* RE: GCC
@ 2000-11-09  7:19 Schaible, Joerg
From: Schaible, Joerg @ 2000-11-09  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Milan,

unfortunately the setup has no knowledge about package dependencies. Unless
you know exactly what you are doing, you should install the complete
package.

	Jörg

* Re: GCC
@ 2000-11-09  7:19 ` Cal Erickson
From: Cal Erickson @ 2000-11-09  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Stanojevic; +Cc: cygwin

Milan Stanojevic wrote:

> I've installed cygwin, bash and gcc using setup.exe that I've downloaded
> from cygwin site. But when I try to use gcc I get error message saying
> that it cannot find 'as' . What can be the problem?
>                 Milan
>
> --

Cal Erickson                 MontaVista Software Inc.
Customer Support Engineer    490 Potrero Avenue
Phone (408) 328-0304         Sunnyvale CA 94085
Fax   (408) 328-9204         e-mail cal_erickson@mvista.com
Pager 877-566-2012           support 1-800-759-8888 pin 202-7489
web http://www.mvista.com    support e-mail: support@mvista.com
eCode: http://cal@work.com.ecode.com

* GCC
@ 2000-11-09  7:13 Milan Stanojevic
From: Milan Stanojevic @ 2000-11-09  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-09-30 23:42     ` Kai Henningsen
From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hark sng-, Mumit Khan; +Cc: cygwin

On 23 Aug 99, at 11:57, Mumit Khan wrote:

> "hark sng-" <passhark@hotmail.com> writes:
> > I tried compiling a simple program using Ming32 and Cywin GCC, but in both i
> > get the CPP program giving me a error message saying: the -remap option is
> > no understood.

Same problem here: just calling cpp without any arguments is
enough to make this happen (cpp complains about -remap in a
loop until no more processes).

Installation sequence:

1. B20.1
2. Snapshot 19990905
3. gcc 2.95
4. gcc 2.95 dev-ss

The weird thing is it looks as if it worked for a short time before
breaking this way.

>   1. For cygwin, provide the output of cygcheck:
>
>      $ cygcheck -s -r

Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Mon Sep 13 14:50:38 1999

WinNT Ver 4.0 build 1381 Service Pack 4

Path:	/bin
	/cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin
	/WINNT/system32
	/WINNT
	/cygdrive/f/Programme/Personal Communications
	/cygdrive/f/aintx
	/WINNT/system32/nls/ENGLISH
	/WINNT/system32/nls
	/NTReskit
	/cygdrive/w
	/cygdrive/z
	/cygdrive/y
	/cygdrive/x
	/cygdrive/c/WIN95.US
	/cygdrive/c/WIN95.US/COMMAND
	/cygdrive/c/WIN98.US/COMMAND
	/cygdrive/c/WIN98
	/cygdrive/c/WIN98/COMMAND
	/cygdrive/f/READIBMW

SysDir: E:\WINNT\System32
WinDir: E:\WINNT

MAKE_MODE = `UNIX'
PWD = `/cygdrive/f/tmp/gstep/tiff-v3.4beta037'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
  (default) = `/cygdrive'
  cygdrive flags = 0x00000020
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/
  (default) = `e:'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/bin
  (default) = `f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\00
  (default) = `E:'
  unix = `/'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\01
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\02
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\03
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\04
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\05
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\06
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\07
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\08
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\09
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0A
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0B
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0C
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0D
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0E
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0F
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\10
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\11
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\12
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\13
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\14
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\15
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\16
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\17
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\18
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\19
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1A
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1B
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1C
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin B20
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin B20\B20.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\00
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\01
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\02
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\03
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\04
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\05
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\06
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\07
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\08
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\09
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0E
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0F
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\10
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\11
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\12
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\13
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\14
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\15
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\16
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\17
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\18
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\19
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\GNUPro
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\GNUPro\i586-cygwin32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\GNUPro\i586-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\GNUPro\i586-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\cygwin-B20.1
  (default) = `f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20'
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Cygnus Cygwin B20
  (default) = `E:\WINNT\IsUninst.exe -ff:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\Uninst.isu'
  DisplayName = `Cygwin B20'

a:  fd           N/A    N/A
c:  hd  FAT     1027Mb  98% CP    UN           WIN98
d:  cd  CDFS     544Mb 100%    CS              16-BIT_TOOLS
e:  hd  NTFS    1027Mb  60% CP CS UN PA FC     NT
f:  hd  NTFS    4000Mb  78% CP CS UN PA FC     Daten 1
g:  hd  NTFS    4965Mb  70% CP CS UN PA FC     Daten 2
h:  net NTFS    1942Mb  90%          PA        kai
i:  net NWFS     302Mb  92% CP                 SYS
k:  net NTFS     874Mb  63%          PA        Pegasus
l:  net NTFS    1980Mb  91%          PA        CATSprog
n:  net NTFS    1942Mb  88%          PA        DATA
o:  net NWFS    1330Mb  76% CP                 DATA
p:  net NTFS    1942Mb  88%          PA        KaiHome
q:  hd  FAT     1023Mb  30% CP    UN           SWAP 1
r:  hd  FAT      989Mb  31% CP    UN           SWAP 2
s:  net NWFS     302Mb  92% CP                 SYS
t:  net NWFS    1330Mb  76% CP                 DATA
u:  hd  FAT      697Mb  13% CP    UN           CDR1
v:  hd  FAT      697Mb  29% CP    UN           CDR2
w:  net NWFS     302Mb  92% CP                 SYS
x:  net NWFS    1330Mb  76% CP                 DATA
y:  net NWFS    1330Mb  76% CP                 DATA
z:  net NWFS     302Mb  92% CP                 SYS

f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin  /bin     user    binmode
e:    /        user    binmode

Found: f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\bash.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\bash.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cat.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cat.exe
Found: f:\aintx\cat.exe
Found: e:\NTReskit\cat.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cpp.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cpp.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\find.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\find.exe
Found: c:\WIN95.US\COMMAND\find.exe
Found: c:\WIN98.US\COMMAND\find.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\gcc.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\gcc.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\gdb.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\gdb.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\ld.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\ld.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\ls.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\ls.exe
Found: e:\NTReskit\ls.exe
Found: y:\\ls.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\make.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\make.exe
Found: y:\\make.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\sh.exe
Found: f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\sh.exe
Found: y:\\sh.exe

  371k 1998/12/01 f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygtcl80.dll
    5k 1998/12/01 f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygtclpip80.dll
   10k 1998/12/01 f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygtclreg80.dll
  600k 1998/12/01 f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygtk80.dll
  506k 1999/09/06 f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cygwin1.dll
  371k 1998/12/01 f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cygtcl80.dll
    5k 1998/12/01 f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cygtclpip80.dll
   10k 1998/12/01 f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cygtclreg80.dll
  600k 1998/12/01 f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cygtk80.dll
  506k 1999/09/06 f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cygwin1.dll
Use -h to see help about each section

>   2. your environment variables (env in Cygwin, set in DOS/Win9x/NT)

!E:=E:\WINNT\Profiles\Kai\Desktop
!I:=I:\
!O:=O:\
!S:=S:\
!T:=T:\
!W:=W:\
!X:=X:\
!Y:=Y:\
!Z:=Z:\
BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2
CDPATH=N:/ETC;N:/;N:/PRODAT/SRC;N:/PRODAT/BIN;N:HARDWARE;S:/GMBH;S:/;Q:/;N:/WINDOWS;N:/WINDOWS/AMIPRO/DOCS;Q:/PRODAT;N:/PRODAT/EXE;T:/
COMPUTERNAME=PRAG
COMSPEC=E:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe
FILE_SERVER=ISABELL
HOMEDRIVE=E:
HOMEPATH=\users\default
HOSTNAME=PRAG
HOSTTYPE=i586
LOGIN_NAME=Kai
MACHINE=IBM_PC
MACHTYPE=i586-pc-cygwin32
MAIL=No
MAKE_MODE=UNIX
NETWORK_ADDRESS=4815702E
NTRESKIT=E:\NTReskit
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
NWLANGUAGE=ENGLISH
NWUSERNAME=Kai
OS2LIBPATH=E:\WINNT\system32\os2\dll;
OS=Windows_NT
OSTYPE=cygwin32
PATH=/bin:/cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin:/WINNT/system32:/WINNT:/cygdrive/f/Programme/Personal Communications:/cygdrive/f/aintx:/WINNT/system32/nls/ENGLISH:/WINNT/system32/nls:/NTReskit:/cygdrive/w:/cygdrive/z:/cygdrive/y:/cygdrive/x:/cygdrive/c/WIN95.US:/cygdrive/c/WIN95.US/COMMAND:/c
ygdrive/c/WIN98.US/COMMAND:/cygdrive/c/WIN98:/cygdrive/c/WIN98/COMMAND:/cygdrive/f/READIBMW
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD
PICNIX_SWITCHAR=-
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 5 Stepping 2, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0502
PROMPT=$P$G
PSTATION=005004494909
PWD=/cygdrive/f/tmp/gstep/tiff-v3.4beta037
P_STATION=005004494909
SHELL=/bin/sh
SHLVL=1
SNDSCAPE=C:\WIN98.US
STATION=3
SYSTEMDRIVE=E:
SYSTEMROOT=E:\WINNT
TEMP=E:\TEMP
TERM=cygwin
TMP=E:\TEMP
USERDOMAIN=PRAG
USERID=C000001
USERNAME=Kai
USERPROFILE=E:\WINNT\Profiles\Kai
USER_ID=C000001
WINDIR=E:\WINNT
WINDOWS_LOGIN=0
_=/bin/env

>   3. compiler version and some runtime info:
>
>      $ gcc -v filename.c

Using builtin specs.
gcc version 2.95 19990728 (release)
 cpp -lang-c -v -iprefix /bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/ -D__GNUC__=2 -D__GNUC_MINOR__=95 -Di386 -D_WIN32 -DWINNT -D_X86_=1 -D__STDC__=1 -D__stdcall=__attribute__((__stdcall__)) -D__cdecl=__attribute__((__cdecl__)) -D__declspec(x)=__attribute__((x)) -D__i386__ -D_WIN32 -D__WINNT__ -D_X86_
Using builtin specs.
cpp: unrecognized option `-remap'
gcc version 2.95 19990728 (release)
 cpp -lang-c -v -Asystem(winnt) -Acpu(i386) -Amachine(i386) -Acpu(i386) -Amachine(i386) -iprefix /bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/ -Di386 -D_WIN32 -DWINNT -D_X86_=1 -D__STDC__=1 -D__stdcall=__attribute__((__stdcall__)) -D__cdecl=__attribute__((__cdecl__)) -D__declspec(x)=__attribute__((x))
Using builtin specs.
cpp: unrecognized option `-remap'
gcc version 2.95 19990728 (release)
 cpp -lang-c -v -Asystem(winnt) -Acpu(i386) -Amachine(i386) -Acpu(i386) -Amachine(i386) -Asystem(winnt) -Acpu(i386) -Amachine(i386) -Acpu(i386) -Amachine(i386) -iprefix /bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/ -Di386 -D_WIN32 -DWINNT -D_X86_=1 -D__STDC__=1 -D__stdcall=__attribute__((__stdcall__))
Using builtin specs.
cpp: unrecognized option `-remap'
[...]

Regards - Kai Henningsen

--
http://www.cats.ms
Spuentrup CTI       Fon: +49 251 322311 0

* Re: GCC
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen, hark sng-, Mumit Khan; +Cc: cygwin

--- Kai Henningsen <kai@cats.ms> wrote:
> On 13 Sep 99, at 8:18, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
> > --- Kai Henningsen <kai@cats.ms> wrote:
> > -8<-
> > > Found: f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cpp.exe
> > > Found: f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cpp.exe
> > -8<-
> >
> > This should not be here.  You've moved/copied it from the correct location
> > underneath lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/<gcc-version>/.
>
> I haven't touched it. Let's see ...
>
> bash-2.02$ find //f/cygnus/ -name "*cpp*" 2>/dev/null
> //f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/cpp.exe
> bash-2.02$
>
> ... so *none* of the packages I installed put cpp in gcc-lib. And
> neither did I get two copies as Mumit said. [*]

_YES_ it did!  Look again!  If it's not there, you've a problem with the
installation.

> > Also, clean up your path so that only one instance of the directory is
> defined.
> >  You're wasting environment memory and making cygwin work harder.
>
> Well, I added /bin and mounted the bin directory there. Not having
> /bin/sh work is somewhat unproductive. And when I collected that
> info, /bin was in the PATH (though it turned out this didn't solve the
> problem which caused me to put it there). I don't even know (this
> not really being Unix) where the original PATH comes from.

Check out my page for suggestions on directory structure.  It appears that your
confusing gcc with your PATH or directory structure.

> [*] More weird stuff:
>
> bash-2.02$ find //f/cygnus/ -name hggbjhb
> find: //f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/etc: No such file or directory
> find: //f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/i586-cygwin32: No such file or
> direc
> tory
> find: //f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/i586-pc-cygwin32: No such file or
> di
> rectory
> find: //f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib: No such file or directory
> find: //f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/libexec: No such file or
> directory
> find: //f/cygnus/cygwin-b20: No such file or directory
> bash-2.02$
>
> Looks like a find (or library) bug.

The directory routines were completely rewritten.  Although, the //f should
work for backward compatibility it should really be /cygdrive/f/.  Try your
find with /cygdrive/f instead of //f.

Also, make certain that you have only one cygwin1.dll in your PATH.  Since find
is having problems use the FileManager Find tool to check it.  I didn't notice
it with the cygcheck you sent but I may have been confused by your multiple
entries in the PATH.
===
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)

From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen, hark sng-, Mumit Khan, earnie_boyd; +Cc: cygwin

On 14 Sep 99, at 5:49, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> --- Kai Henningsen <kai@cats.ms> wrote:
> > On 13 Sep 99, at 8:18, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >
> > > --- Kai Henningsen <kai@cats.ms> wrote:
> > > -8<-
> > > -8<-
> > >
> > > This should not be here.  You've moved/copied it from the correct location
> > > underneath lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/<gcc-version>/.
> >
> > I haven't touched it. Let's see ...
> >
> > bash-2.02$ find //f/cygnus/ -name "*cpp*" 2>/dev/null
> > //f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/cpp.exe
> > bash-2.02$
> >
> > ... so *none* of the packages I installed put cpp in gcc-lib. And
> > neither did I get two copies as Mumit said. [*]
> >

> _YES_ it did!  Look again!  If it's not there, you've a problem with the
> installation.

I installed the stuff exactly as I reported. Really.

I think I'm gonna wipe and reinstall it, but I really don't understand
how something like that could have gone wrong.

I guess I'm spoiled by "real Unix".

> > bash-2.02$ find //f/cygnus/ -name hggbjhb
> > find: //f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/etc: No such file or directory
> > find: //f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/i586-cygwin32: No such file or
> > direc
> > tory
> > find: //f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/i586-pc-cygwin32: No such file or
> > di
> > rectory
> > find: //f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib: No such file or directory
> > find: //f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/libexec: No such file or
> > directory
> > find: //f/cygnus/cygwin-b20: No such file or directory
> > bash-2.02$
> >
> > Looks like a find (or library) bug.
> >

> The directory routines were completely rewritten.  Although, the //f should
> work for backward compatibility it should really be /cygdrive/f/.  Try your
> find with /cygdrive/f instead of //f.

Exactly the same results (modulo pathnames).

> Also, make certain that you have only one cygwin1.dll in your PATH.  Since find

I have.

> is having problems use the FileManager Find tool to check it.  I didn't notice

Find seems to do the right thing, except for the error messages.

Regards - Kai Henningsen

--

@ 1999-09-30 23:42           ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Kai Henningsen wrote:

[ fyi, I've trimmed the To: and Cc: lists ]

> Hmm. Thinking about it, one of the things I think I did shortly before
> the problem was adding /bin in front of the path, which points here:
>
> bash-2.02$ mount
> Device              Directory           Type         Flags
> f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin  /bin                user         binmo
> de
> e:                  /                   user         binmode
> bash-2.02$
>
> And the cpp crash I looked most into was just typing "cpp" at the
> bash prompt.

Thanks for this piece of information, which makes everything clear.

And there's your problem. The way GCC (both Cygnus' and my versions) finds
where to look for subprograms (eg., cpp.exe, cc1.exe), includes and
libraries is the following:

1. find where the executable lives. eg., if you invoke gcc.exe as `gcc',
   it'll search through path and find /bin; if you invoke it complete
   pathname, it'll also find /bin.

2. Now, find everything relative to the parent directory of the bin
   directory, ie., /bin/..

3. Look for specs and so on using the prefix '/bin/../'

Now you see why it will fail. If you're going to mount /bin only this way,
you'll (1) also either have to mount everything else symmetrically like on
Unix, (2) use GCC_EXEC_PREFIX to point to the installation.

Cygwin b20.1 handling of relative pathnames is broken, but good news is
that it's fixed in b21 thanks to cgf's rewrite of path handling code.

Here's the workaround for you:

  $ export PATH=/cygdrive/f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin:/bin:$PATH

Your problem shows up since your installation is on F: drive, and that's
why I didn't catch it the first time.

btw, a better way to run configure is not to fake it into looking into
another directory for the proper shell, but the following:

  $ CONFIG_SHELL=</path/to/my/favorite/shell> /src/dir/configure [options]

eg., on HP-UX, it's common to the following:

  $ CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/posix/sh /src/dir/configure [options]

and on Cygwin:

  $ CONFIG_SHELL=bash /src/dir/configure [options]

I also tend to use SHELL variable with make, if Makefiles don't already
have it in there.

  $ make SHELL=bash all

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: GCC
@ 1999-09-30 23:42     ` Michael V. Nikolaev
From: Michael V. Nikolaev @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen; +Cc: Cygwin

I had the same problem with cpp. This is due to soft link processing problem, I think. I just set links to i586-cygwin32, lib, and libexec in the directory where link to bin is.

> On 13 Sep 99, at 8:18, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
> > --- Kai Henningsen <kai@cats.ms> wrote:
> > -8<-
> > > Found: f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cpp.exe
> > > Found: f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cpp.exe
> > -8<-
> >
> > This should not be here.  You've moved/copied it from the correct location
> > underneath lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/<gcc-version>/.
>
> I haven't touched it. Let's see ...
>
> bash-2.02$ find file://f/cygnus/ -name "*cpp*" 2>/dev/null
> file://f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/cpp.exe
> bash-2.02$
>
> ... so *none* of the packages I installed put cpp in gcc-lib. And
> neither did I get two copies as Mumit said. [*]
>
> > Also, clean up your path so that only one instance of the directory is defined.
> >  You're wasting environment memory and making cygwin work harder.
>
> Well, I added /bin and mounted the bin directory there. Not having
> /bin/sh work is somewhat unproductive. And when I collected that
> info, /bin was in the PATH (though it turned out this didn't solve the
> problem which caused me to put it there). I don't even know (this
> not really being Unix) where the original PATH comes from.
>
> [*] More weird stuff:
>
> bash-2.02$ find file://f/cygnus/ -name hggbjhb
> find: file://f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/etc: No such file or directory
> find: file://f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/i586-cygwin32: No such file or direc
> tory
> find: file://f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/i586-pc-cygwin32: No such file or di
> rectory
> find: file://f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib: No such file or directory
> find: file://f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/libexec: No such file or directory
> find: file://f/cygnus/cygwin-b20: No such file or directory
> bash-2.02$
>
> Looks like a find (or library) bug.
>

> Regards - Kai Henningsen
>
> --
> http://www.cats.ms
> Spuentrup CTI       Fon: +49 251 322311 0
> Windbreede 12       Fax: +49 251 322311 99
> D-48157 MÝnster     Mob: +49 161 3223111
> Germany             GSM: +49 171 7755060
>
> --

* Re: GCC
@ 1999-09-30 23:42       ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen; +Cc: hark sng-, cygwin, Earnie Boyd

"Kai Henningsen" <kai@cats.ms> writes:
> On 23 Aug 99, at 11:57, Mumit Khan wrote:
>
> > "hark sng-" <passhark@hotmail.com> writes:
> > > I tried compiling a simple program using Ming32 and Cywin GCC, but in =
> both i
> > > get the CPP program giving me a error message saying: the -remap optio=
> n is
> > > no understood.
>
> Same problem here: just calling cpp without any arguments is
> enough to make this happen (cpp complains about -remap in a
> loop until no more processes).

I believe hark sng-'s problem had to do with having GNAT installed, which
"hijacks" every other installation via a registry entry. See my "fixes"
area for workaround:
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/gcc.html#gcc295-fixes

My next release of gcc will *ignore* these hidden registry entries to avoid
these conflicts. Hopefully GNAT folks will take care and use a more
reasonable key next time (vendor specific versioned key perhaps) to avoid
this problem.

> Installation sequence:
>
> 1. B20.1
> 2. Snapshot 19990905
> 3. gcc 2.95
> 4. gcc 2.95 dev-ss
>
> The weird thing is it looks as if it worked for a short time before
> breaking this way.

You need to be sure of that if that is indeed the case (that it worked
for a short period)!

If you don't have GNAT installed, then we obviously need to figure this
out. Please look through the output of:

  $ gcc -print-search-dirs

and see where it's looking for things.

  $ gcc -print-file-name=specs

should print the full pathname to the specs files.

> >   1. For cygwin, provide the output of cygcheck:
> >
> >      $ cygcheck -s -r

Thanks. These look good.

> >   3. compiler version and some runtime info:
> >
> >      $ gcc -v filename.c
>
> Using builtin specs.

Not the "builtin specs". That means GCC is just not finding what it's
supposed to.

Earnie, the newer versions of gcc provide two different cpp's -- one
goes in <exec_prefix>/bin and other one goes deep into the compiler
directory. GCC uses *only* the second one, and the first one is provided
for other programs or users who may want to run cpp directly (eg., imake).

From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen, Mumit Khan; +Cc: hark sng-, cygwin, Earnie Boyd

On 13 Sep 99, at 9:42, Mumit Khan wrote:

> "Kai Henningsen" <kai@cats.ms> writes:

> > both i
> > n is
> >
> > Same problem here: just calling cpp without any arguments is
> > enough to make this happen (cpp complains about -remap in a
> > loop until no more processes).
>
> I believe hark sng-'s problem had to do with having GNAT installed, which
> "hijacks" every other installation via a registry entry. See my "fixes"
> area for workaround:
> http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/gcc.html#gcc295-fixes

Well, I don't have (and never had) GNAT installed. And I don't have
the registry keys mentioned there.

> > Installation sequence:
> >
> > 1. B20.1
> > 2. Snapshot 19990905
> > 3. gcc 2.95
> > 4. gcc 2.95 dev-ss
> >
> > The weird thing is it looks as if it worked for a short time before
> > breaking this way.
>
> You need to be sure of that if that is indeed the case (that it worked
> for a short period)!

Well, I was trying to build the tiff libs. After finding that the
config.guess needed to be updated, that configure was highly
confused by ash refusing to do a cd, it suddenly told me there was
no working C compiler available. However, I had already removed
left-over a.exe files several times (back then, the problem was it
was looking for a.out)!

*** UPDATE *** before pondering the following info, read the rest of
the message for interesting changes!

> If you don't have GNAT installed, then we obviously need to figure this
> out. Please look through the output of:
>
>   $ gcc -print-search-dirs

bash-2.02$ gcc -print-search-dirs
install: /Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/
programs: /cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/
2.95/:/cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/:/Cygnus/cygwin-b2
0/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygw
in32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/:/usr/lib/gcc/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/usr/lib/gcc/i5
86-cygwin32/:/cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin
32/2.95/../../../../i586-cygwin32/bin/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYG
WIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../../../../i586-cygwin32/b
in/:/Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../../../.
./i586-cygwin32/bin/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/g
cc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../../../../i586-cygwin32/bin/
libraries: /cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32
/2.95/:/cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/:/Cygnus/cygwin-b
20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/usr/lib/gcc/i586-cygwin32/2.
95/:/cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/.
./../../../i586-cygwin32/lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I
586~1/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../../../../i586-cygwin32/lib/:/Cygn
us/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../../../../i586-cy
gwin32/lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i5
86-cygwin32/2.95/../../../../i586-cygwin32/lib/:/cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I5
86~1/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../../../i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/cygdriv
e/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../../../:/Cy
gnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../../../i586-cyg
win32/2.95/:/Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/..
/../../:/lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/lib/:/usr/lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/usr/lib/
bash-2.02$

> and see where it's looking for things.
>
>   $ gcc -print-file-name=specs

bash-2.02$ gcc -print-file-name=specs
/cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/specs

bash-2.02$

> > >   3. compiler version and some runtime info:
> > >
> > >      $ gcc -v filename.c
> >
> > Using builtin specs.
>
> Not the "builtin specs". That means GCC is just not finding what it's
> supposed to.

Hmm. Thinking about it, one of the things I think I did shortly before
the problem was adding /bin in front of the path, which points here:

bash-2.02$ mount
Device              Directory           Type         Flags
f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin  /bin                user         binmo
de
e:                  /                   user         binmode
bash-2.02$

And the cpp crash I looked most into was just typing "cpp" at the
bash prompt.

Let's just see ...

... oops. cpp doesn't crash right now! What the ...?

Oh, of course, /bin is missing. See if that breaks it - yup, sure does!

So, here is the above info again with the new PATH:

bash-2.02$ gcc -print-search-dirs
install: /Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/
programs: /bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/:/Cygnus/c
ygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i
586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/:/usr/lib/gcc/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/usr/li
b/gcc/i586-cygwin32/:/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../../../../i586-cyg
win32/bin/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../../../..
/i586-cygwin32/bin/:/Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32
/2.95/../../../../i586-cygwin32/bin/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i58
6-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../../../../i586-cygwin32/bin/
libraries: /bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/:/Cygnus/
cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/usr/lib/gcc/i586-cyg
win32/2.95/:/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../../../../i586-cygwin32/lib
/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../../../../i586-cyg
win32/lib/:/Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../
../../../i586-cygwin32/lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin3
2/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../../../../i586-cygwin32/lib/:/bin/../lib/gcc-
lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../../../i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cyg
win32/2.95/../../../:/Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin3
2/2.95/../../../i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-l
ib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/../../../:/lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95/:/lib/:/usr/lib/i586-cyg
win32/2.95/:/usr/lib/
bash-2.02$

bash-2.02$ gcc -print-file-name=specs
specs
bash-2.02$

So I guess that's it, but what happens here? Surely gcc should not
break from changing PATH?!

Ah yes, I remember why I did that:

/cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/sh: cd: libtiff: No such file or direct
ory
= libtiff
/cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/sh: cd: libtiff: No such file or direct
ory
= libtiff
/cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/sh: cd: libtiff: No such file or direct
ory
= libtiff
/cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/sh: cd: libtiff: No such file or direct
ory
= libtiff
/cygdrive/f/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/sh: cd: libtiff: No such file or direct

Of course, the subdir is just there. :-(

A short test (without /bin, but it turns out this doesn't change
anything):

bash-2.02$ cd libtiff
bash-2.02$ pwd
/tiffdir/libtiff
bash-2.02$ cd -
/tiffdir
bash-2.02$ $SHELL -c "cd libtiff"
/bin/sh: cd: libtiff: No such file or directory
bash-2.02$ $SHELL
sh-2.02$ pwd
/tiffdir
sh-2.02$ cd libtiff
sh: cd: libtiff: No such file or directory
sh-2.02$ exit
bash-2.02$ $SHELL --version
GNU bash, version 2.02.1(2)-release (i586-pc-cygwin32)
bash-2.02$

What's happening?! This is like nothing I have ever seen!

Regards - Kai Henningsen

From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen, hark sng-, Mumit Khan; +Cc: cygwin

From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen, hark sng-, Mumit Khan, earnie_boyd; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-09-14  9:56   ` Michael V. Nikolaev
From: Michael V. Nikolaev @ 1999-09-14  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen; +Cc: Cygwin

I had the same problem with cpp. This is due to soft link processing problem, I think. I just set links to i586-cygwin32, lib, and libexec in the directory where link to bin is.

> On 13 Sep 99, at 8:18, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
> > --- Kai Henningsen <kai@cats.ms> wrote:
> > -8<-
> > > Found: f:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin\cpp.exe
> > > Found: f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\cpp.exe
> > -8<-
> >
> > This should not be here.  You've moved/copied it from the correct location
> > underneath lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/<gcc-version>/.
>
> I haven't touched it. Let's see ...
>
> bash-2.02$ find file://f/cygnus/ -name "*cpp*" 2>/dev/null
> file://f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/cpp.exe
> bash-2.02$
>
> ... so *none* of the packages I installed put cpp in gcc-lib. And
> neither did I get two copies as Mumit said. [*]
>
> > Also, clean up your path so that only one instance of the directory is defined.
> >  You're wasting environment memory and making cygwin work harder.
>
> Well, I added /bin and mounted the bin directory there. Not having
> /bin/sh work is somewhat unproductive. And when I collected that
> info, /bin was in the PATH (though it turned out this didn't solve the
> problem which caused me to put it there). I don't even know (this
> not really being Unix) where the original PATH comes from.
>
> [*] More weird stuff:
>
> bash-2.02$ find file://f/cygnus/ -name hggbjhb
> find: file://f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/etc: No such file or directory
> find: file://f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/i586-cygwin32: No such file or direc
> tory
> find: file://f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/i586-pc-cygwin32: No such file or di
> rectory
> find: file://f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/lib: No such file or directory
> find: file://f/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/libexec: No such file or directory
> find: file://f/cygnus/cygwin-b20: No such file or directory
> bash-2.02$
>
> Looks like a find (or library) bug.
>

> Regards - Kai Henningsen
>
> --
> http://www.cats.ms
> Spuentrup CTI       Fon: +49 251 322311 0
> Windbreede 12       Fax: +49 251 322311 99
> D-48157 MÝnster     Mob: +49 161 3223111
> Germany             GSM: +49 171 7755060
>
> --

* Re: GCC
@ 1999-09-14  9:41         ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-09-14  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-09-14  6:54 ` Kai Henningsen
From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-09-14  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-09-14  5:48 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-14  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-09-14  2:00 ` Kai Henningsen
From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-09-14  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-09-14  1:54       ` Kai Henningsen
From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-09-14  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen; +Cc: hark sng-

@ 1999-09-13  8:54     ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-09-13  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen; +Cc: hark sng-, cygwin, Earnie Boyd

"Kai Henningsen" <kai@cats.ms> writes:
> On 23 Aug 99, at 11:57, Mumit Khan wrote:
>
> > "hark sng-" <passhark@hotmail.com> writes:
> > > I tried compiling a simple program using Ming32 and Cywin GCC, but in =
> both i
> > > get the CPP program giving me a error message saying: the -remap optio=
> n is
> > > no understood.
>
> Same problem here: just calling cpp without any arguments is
> enough to make this happen (cpp complains about -remap in a
> loop until no more processes).

I believe hark sng-'s problem had to do with having GNAT installed, which
"hijacks" every other installation via a registry entry. See my "fixes"
area for workaround:
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/gcc.html#gcc295-fixes

My next release of gcc will *ignore* these hidden registry entries to avoid
these conflicts. Hopefully GNAT folks will take care and use a more
reasonable key next time (vendor specific versioned key perhaps) to avoid
this problem.

> Installation sequence:
>
> 1. B20.1
> 2. Snapshot 19990905
> 3. gcc 2.95
> 4. gcc 2.95 dev-ss
>
> The weird thing is it looks as if it worked for a short time before
> breaking this way.

You need to be sure of that if that is indeed the case (that it worked
for a short period)!

If you don't have GNAT installed, then we obviously need to figure this
out. Please look through the output of:

  $ gcc -print-search-dirs

and see where it's looking for things.

  $ gcc -print-file-name=specs

should print the full pathname to the specs files.

> >   1. For cygwin, provide the output of cygcheck:
> >
> >      $ cygcheck -s -r

Thanks. These look good.

@ 1999-09-13  8:16 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-09-13  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen, hark sng-, Mumit Khan; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-09-13  8:01   ` Kai Henningsen
From: Kai Henningsen @ 1999-09-13  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hark sng-, Mumit Khan; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-08-31 23:49   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hark sng-; +Cc: cygwin

"hark sng-" <passhark@hotmail.com> writes:
> I tried compiling a simple program using Ming32 and Cywin GCC, but in both i
> get the CPP program giving me a error message saying: the -remap option is
> no understood.

first of all, please don't send off-topic messages to cygwin-developers
list. That list, as the name suggests, is for topics on development of
Cygwin, not on various issues like 'my compiler doesn't run!'.

> i am using no "-remap" swithces when compileing.
>
> I type:
>
> gcc filename.c
>

> What is the exact differennce between the USER and FULL versions of Cywin.
> If i have USER + GCC ,does that equal FULL.

No, FULL means FULL. USER + GCC means you'll be lacking all sorts of
development tools. User tools provide you tools that you use as a "user"
of an Unix style system (ls, cd, shells such as bash, etc); Full gives
you tools to develop code as well (linker, assembler, compiler, etc).

This is a very reasonable question (I'm surprised it's not asked more
often!), and if this is not in the FAQ, it should be.

Your installation is somehow botched. Without more information, nobody here
can help, sorry.

You probably have GCC_EXEC_PREFIX defined in the environment (or have GNAT
installed -- if so, please complain to GNAT folks to avoid screwing up the
rest of the compilers on your system!), or you have not followed the
instructions in installing the compilers.

Provide the following information:

  1. For cygwin, provide the output of cygcheck:

     $ cygcheck -s -r

  2. your environment variables (env in Cygwin, set in DOS/Win9x/NT)
  3. compiler version and some runtime info:

     $ gcc -v filename.c

     provides lots of good information.

Regards,
Mumit

* GCC
@ 1999-08-31 23:49 ` hark sng-
From: hark sng- @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: khan, cygwin-developers, cygwin

@ 1999-08-23  9:59 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-08-23  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hark sng-; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-08-23  8:50 hark sng-
From: hark sng- @ 1999-08-23  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: khan, cygwin-developers, cygwin

I tried compiling a simple program using Ming32 and Cywin GCC, but in both i
get the CPP program giving me a error message saying: the -remap option is
no understood.

i am using no "-remap" swithces when compileing.

I type:

gcc filename.c

What is the exact differennce between the USER and FULL versions of Cywin.
If i have USER + GCC ,does that equal FULL.

* RE: Gcc
@ 1998-11-29 10:34 Haynes, Dan
From: Haynes, Dan @ 1998-11-29 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Burkarth, gnu-win32

const char *Tst = ""  = pointer to constant of type 'char'

const char * const Tst = "" = constant pointer to constant of type 'char'

Regards

  Dan Haynes

-

* Gcc
@ 1998-11-29  1:32 Holger Burkarth
From: Holger Burkarth @ 1998-11-29  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1998-11-03 13:49 marc_auslander
From: marc_auslander @ 1998-11-03 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I just sent mail about a problem with emacs error parsing of gcc output.
Please ignore - its more complicated and I don't understand it yet.  Sorry.

Marc Auslander   <Marc_Auslander@us.ibm.com>   914 945-4346  (Fax x4425)

-

* Re: GCC
@ 1998-07-08 10:01 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1998-07-08 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, Bruno da Rocha

---Bruno da Rocha <bruno@bragasoft.com> wrote:

> Somebody could answer a simple question:
>   Is the Cygnus' GCC port full compatible with other GCC ports ( I
know
> that
>   if I make a program with
>   GCC-SunOS, with common functions of them, the source will be
compiled on
>   GCC-Linux by example. It
>   would be compiled on Cygnus too, without a lot of changes? )?

That would be the intent of this project.  The cygwinb19.dll provides
a POSIX UNIX layer that will allow the UNIX created programs to
compile with little to no modification.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
--earnie_boyd@yahoo.com--
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Please, research your question via the Searchable Mail Archives first.
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32          (Searchable Mail Archives)

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://dvpraktikum.informatik.uni-koeln.de:3232/
                                            (Cygwin32 Porting Project)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html (Colin Peters - Mingw32)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
ftp://ftp.hksys.com/pub/mirrors/EGCS-Win32/   (Jeremy Bettis - mirror)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.downloadwizard.com/ak/gnu-win32/bash.html
                                        (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
http://aquarius.franken.de/docs/develop/gnuwin32/GNUWin32.txt
                                               (Package Porting Notes)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/
                                                       (German mirror)
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul      (Valery Tulnikov - software ports)
ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/local/fox/cygwin32 (David fox - RPM packages)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.kedemel.demon.co.uk/                       (Darren's ports)

Help for Win32 Beginners:
 http://www.relisoft.com
 http://www.program.com/resources/win32.html

DISCLAIMER: These links or links from these pages to other sites do
not constitute an endorsement of any entities, advertisers, products
or services therein. I am not responsible for and do not control or
monitor the content of these sites or the accuracy of information
found therein.

-------------------- IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE ------------------------
You should get the following to update your cygwinb19 package:

Sergey Okhapkin's coolview package which contains an updated
cygwinb19.dll.  (Yes, even if you've already downloaded the b19.1
update from the Cygnus Site).

Mumit Khan's compilation of EGCS for the cygwinb19.dll; especially if
you're using the C++ compiler.  The current version of the compiler
that
comes with the tools has lots of problems that have been fixed with
the EGCS version.  This is a drop-in replacement for the GCC toolset.

URL's are listed above.

* GCC
@ 1998-07-03 16:33 Bruno da Rocha
From: Bruno da Rocha @ 1998-07-03 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-12-05  6:13 Mark Young (in6)
From: Mark Young (in6) @ 1997-12-05  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi
I just installed the gnu-win32 on my win95 system but when I try to run
gcc I get the error that cpp cannot be found.
I checked through the mail archives and have installed it according
to the FAQ (i think) and can't find any answers.
Any suggestions?
-

* Re: GCC
@ 1997-10-16 20:09 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-10-16 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: d-vang; +Cc: gnu-win32

Let me point you to:

-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

>Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 19:59:05 -0500 (CDT)
>To: Experts <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>
>From: David Vang <d-vang@students.uiuc.edu>
>Subject: GCC
>
>To Whom It May Concern:
>
>I'm new to programming.  I just downloaded the GNU-WIN32 software, and
>want to run gcc, but when I run gcc, it gives me an error  message
saying,
>        "mp3.c:1  No include path in which to find stdio.h
>        GCC.EXE:  Internal compiler error:  program cpp got fatal
signal 33"

>Can anyone help me in trying to put a path for gcc to find the standard
>include files?
>
>Thanks,
>
>David Vang
>E-Mail:  d-vang@students.uiuc.edu
>University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message

* GCC
@ 1997-10-15 17:59 David Vang
From: David Vang @ 1997-10-15 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Experts

To Whom It May Concern:

I'm new to programming.  I just downloaded the GNU-WIN32 software, and I

@ 1997-10-08  2:57 Brad Haack
From: Brad Haack @ 1997-10-08  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I recently installed gnuwin32 (windows NT) and am having some trouble
getting gcc set up.  Yes I read the FAQ and I think I have the
environment var's set properly.

I added these include dirs in my makefile

-I/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include/

-I/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-970404/include

(sorry but I think my mailer will break these up into multi lines)

I'm getting some warnings such as:
/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include/sys/reent.h:38:
warning: function  declaration isn't a prototype
/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include/sys/reent.h:170:
warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include/math.h:109:
warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include/math.h:179:
warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

And then a fatal error:
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 33
make: *** [star.o] Error 1

Any ideas?
Thanks
Brad Haack
haack@ast.lmco.com
-

* gcc
@ 1997-09-24  2:09 nazg
From: nazg @ 1997-09-24  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi,

I installed cygnus gcc, but when I try to compile it cant find sime
files. Can someone mail me a listing of all directories used by gcc so I
can put my files where they belong. Also tell me what environment
variables are needed and what their values should be.

I've checked the FAQ and mailing list archives.

Thanks

* Re: gcc
@ 1997-09-23 13:38 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-23 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: young; +Cc: gnu-win32

>Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 17:34:32 -0700
>From: young lee <young@qm.com>
>To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>Subject: gcc
>
>hi
>
>I just installed a copy of GNU-Win32.  When I try using gcc I keep
>getting the error--
>
>ld: cannot open crt0.o: No such file or directory
>
>what is crt0.o? and why is it not able to find it in the library
>directory?

Let me first point you to some important documents:

Read the README.txt and faq.txt file located at
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/ .

Then take a look at the http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32 web page.
This is the mail list archive and you will be able to find the answers
to many questions.

Goodluck,

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

* Re: gcc
@ 1997-09-22  9:29 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-22  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nazg, gnu-win32

@ 1997-09-22  6:23 nazg
From: nazg @ 1997-09-22  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-09-20  0:35 young lee
From: young lee @ 1997-09-20  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

hi

I just installed a copy of GNU-Win32.  When I try using gcc I keep
getting the error--

ld: cannot open crt0.o: No such file or directory

what is crt0.o? and why is it not able to find it in the library
directory?

young
--
Young Lee