* -mno-cygwin and C++
@ 2001-03-27 19:22 Kenton Varda
From: Kenton Varda @ 2001-03-27 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I just updated my copy of cygwin today, and it appears that using -mno-cygwin
no longer works with C++.  When I try to include STL headers, I get "file not
found" errors.  I tried adding -I/usr/include/g++-3 to the command line, but
that just led to linker errors related to __errno and other symbols,
presumably because it tried to link against cygwin's libstdc++.a rather than
mingw's.

Next, I tried installing gcc-2.95.2-mingw-extra.tar.gz as I had to with my
old copy of cygwin.  With this, my only error was "undefined reference to
_imp___HUGE_dll".  I looked for a new version of this package for gcc-2.95.3,
but found none...

So, what is the latest hack required to make C++ work with -mno-cygwin?
Perhaps, in a future version, this will work without special hacks? :/

Thanks...

-Kenton Varda

* Re: -mno-cygwin and C++
@ 2001-03-27 19:54 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-03-27 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 09:22:51PM -0600, Kenton Varda wrote:
>I just updated my copy of cygwin today, and it appears that using -mno-cygwin
>no longer works with C++.  When I try to include STL headers, I get "file not
>found" errors.  I tried adding -I/usr/include/g++-3 to the command line, but
>that just led to linker errors related to __errno and other symbols,
>presumably because it tried to link against cygwin's libstdc++.a rather than
>mingw's.

When you say "no longer works with C++", I think you actually mean "never
worked with C++".

>Next, I tried installing gcc-2.95.2-mingw-extra.tar.gz as I had to with my
>old copy of cygwin.  With this, my only error was "undefined reference to
>_imp___HUGE_dll".  I looked for a new version of this package for gcc-2.95.3,
>but found none...
>
>So, what is the latest hack required to make C++ work with -mno-cygwin?
>Perhaps, in a future version, this will work without special hacks? :/

Presumably you need a version of libstdc++ which was built with msvcrt.dll
in mind rather than dllcrt.dll.  You could probably build this yourself
from the gcc sources.  Apparently others have successfully done this.

I have repeatedly asked for volunteers to provide this for Cygwin's mingw
package but so far no one has stepped forward.

cgf

* Re: -mno-cygwin and C++
@ 2001-03-27 20:49   ` Danny Smith
From: Danny Smith @ 2001-03-27 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Presumably you need a version of libstdc++ which was built with msvcrt.dll
> in mind rather than dllcrt.dll.  You could probably build this yourself
> from the gcc sources.  Apparently others have successfully done this.
>
> I have repeatedly asked for volunteers to provide this for Cygwin's mingw
> package but so far no one has stepped forward.
>
> cgf

If you are asking for a a mingw-extra-gcc-2.95.3 --libstdc++, libgcc.a (for C++
exception handling), libg2c.a)-- where should I upload it.  I haven't tested
objc components but others seem to work fine

Danny

* Re: -mno-cygwin and C++ -- solved!
@ 2001-03-27 21:48   ` Kenton Varda
From: Kenton Varda @ 2001-03-27 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> When you say "no longer works with C++", I think you actually mean "never
> worked with C++".

Actually, the old version worked just fine with mingw-extra installed.

I managed to get it (the new version) working!  Here's what you have to do:

- Install the latest cygwin
- Download the mingw-runtime package.  (not sure if this is necessary)
   - Put the libs in /usr/lib/mingw
   - Put the includes in /usr/include/mingw
- Download the mingw gcc package, find libstdc++.a in it, and put that it
/usr/lib/mingw
- Copy /usr/include/g++-3 to /usr/include/mingw/g++-3

After doing all that, I could compile C++ executables without linking against
cygwin1.dll.  However, I was still having problems compiling DLL's.  Here is
my dllwrap command line:

dllwrap --target i686-mingw32 -mno-cygwin --def $objdir/$soname-def -o
$objdir/$soname $libobjs $deplibs $linkopts

It complained that it couldn't find dllcrt2.o, even though the file was in
/usr/lib/mingw.  So, I copied dllcrt2.o from there to /usr/lib, and now
everything works!

I guess I'm satisfied for now, but I would really like for this stuff to work
out-of-the-box.  For now, I will distribute hack-package with my source to
allow others to compile it on cygwin.

> If you are asking for a a mingw-extra-gcc-2.95.3 --libstdc++, libgcc.a (for
> C++ exception handling), libg2c.a)-- where should I upload it.  I haven't
> tested objc components but others seem to work fine

I think that's what I was originally looking for. :)  Why isn't this part of
cygwin's mingw package already?

-Kenton Varda

* Re: -mno-cygwin and C++ -- solved!
@ 2001-03-27 22:13     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-03-27 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 11:49:07PM -0600, Kenton Varda wrote:
>It complained that it couldn't find dllcrt2.o, even though the file was in
>/usr/lib/mingw.  So, I copied dllcrt2.o from there to /usr/lib, and now
>everything works!

cgf

* Re: -mno-cygwin and C++ -- solved!
@ 2001-03-28 18:32     ` Paul Garceau
From: Paul Garceau @ 2001-03-28 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi folks,

	Forgive me, couldn't let this pass...

On 27 Mar 2001, at 23:49, the Illustrious Kenton Varda wrote:

> I think that's what I was originally looking for. :)  Why isn't this
> part of cygwin's mingw package already?

	*ahem*

	Mingw _does not belong to Cygwin_, Mingw is a separate and optional
set of development tools that just happens to run alongside the Cygwin
Development Tools and that _may be_ installed with the Cygwin
Development Tools...it is _not_ a Cygwin development tool, it is a
Cygwin "Option" in the same way that the "-mno-cygwin" switch is an
"optional" switch.
	It has only achieved this after a whole bunch of volunteers spent a
great deal of time and energy (man-years) attempting to integrate the
two to work with a simple switch called "-mno-cygwin".  It has _not
been_ a "trivial task".

	Peace,

		Paul G.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

* Re: -mno-cygwin and C++ -- solved!
@ 2001-03-29 11:54       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-03-29 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 06:30:42PM -0800, Paul Garceau wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>	Forgive me, couldn't let this pass...
>
>On 27 Mar 2001, at 23:49, the Illustrious Kenton Varda wrote:
>
>> I think that's what I was originally looking for. :)  Why isn't this
>> part of cygwin's mingw package already?
>
>	*ahem*
>
>	Mingw _does not belong to Cygwin_, Mingw is a separate and optional
>set of development tools that just happens to run alongside the Cygwin
>Development Tools and that _may be_ installed with the Cygwin
>Development Tools...it is _not_ a Cygwin development tool, it is a
>Cygwin "Option" in the same way that the "-mno-cygwin" switch is an
>"optional" switch.
>	It has only achieved this after a whole bunch of volunteers spent a
>great deal of time and energy (man-years) attempting to integrate the
>two to work with a simple switch called "-mno-cygwin".  It has _not
>been_ a "trivial task".

I can attest to that.  gcc is really not designed to accomodate the
kind of magic that -mno-cygwin is attempting.  I try to push the
envelope with every release of gcc but I think I've reached the point
where I now have to branch out into binutils to achieve perfect
separation.  The current testing version of gcc actually has some
hacks that I probably would never send back to gcc.gnu.org.

And, I really am trying to be sensitive to the fact that mingw is not
"my" project.  I don't want to cloud the issue by releasing too much of
mingw with Cygwin.  I'm sure that the mingw maintainers have enough to
do with their own distribution and don't want to be bothered spending
excessive amounts of time trying to integrate things with Cygwin.

Sometimes I think that the best way to handle all of this is to have a
completely different compiler which defaults to a totally separate
/usr/include and /usr/lib area.  i686-pc-mingw-gcc.  Hmm.  It has a nice
ring to it.

cgf

* mingw-extra-2.95.3 [Was: Re: -mno-cygwin and C++]
@ 2001-03-29 12:07     ` Danny Smith
From: Danny Smith @ 2001-03-29 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--- Danny Smith <danny_r_smith_2001@yahoo.co.nz> wrote: >
> > Presumably you need a version of libstdc++ which was built with msvcrt.dll
> > in mind rather than dllcrt.dll.  You could probably build this yourself
> > from the gcc sources.  Apparently others have successfully done this.
> >
> > I have repeatedly asked for volunteers to provide this for Cygwin's mingw
> > package but so far no one has stepped forward.
> >
> > cgf
>
> If you are asking for a a mingw-extra-gcc-2.95.3 --libstdc++, libgcc.a (for
> C++
> exception handling), libg2c.a)-- where should I upload it.  I haven't tested
> objc components but others seem to work fine

I didn't get a reposnse to this so I've put  mingw-compiled 2.95.3 libs here:
http://i10.yimg.com/10/8ddc501b/h/ac85dfc3/mingw-extra-2.95.3.tar.gz
Completely unofficial, of course, and no guarantees.
For C++ headers, link or copy /usr/include/g++-3 to /usr/include/mingw/g++-3

danny

* Re: -mno-cygwin and C++ -- solved!
@ 2001-03-29 19:33         ` Paul Garceau
From: Paul Garceau @ 2001-03-29 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 28 Mar 2001, at 22:32, the Illustrious Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 06:30:42PM -0800, Paul Garceau wrote:
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >	Forgive me, couldn't let this pass...
> >
> >On 27 Mar 2001, at 23:49, the Illustrious Kenton Varda wrote:
> >
> >> I think that's what I was originally looking for. :)  Why isn't this
> >> part of cygwin's mingw package already?
> >
> >	*ahem*
> >
> >	Mingw _does not belong to Cygwin_, Mingw is a separate and optional
> >set of development tools that just happens to run alongside the Cygwin
> >Development Tools and that _may be_ installed with the Cygwin
> >Development Tools...it is _not_ a Cygwin development tool, it is a
> >Cygwin "Option" in the same way that the "-mno-cygwin" switch is an
> >"optional" switch. 	It has only achieved this after a whole bunch of
> >volunteers spent a great deal of time and energy (man-years) attempting
> >to integrate the two to work with a simple switch called "-mno-cygwin".
> > It has _not been_ a "trivial task".
>
> I can attest to that.  gcc is really not designed to accomodate the kind
> of magic that -mno-cygwin is attempting.  I try to push the envelope
> with every release of gcc but I think I've reached the point where I now
> have to branch out into binutils to achieve perfect separation.  The
> current testing version of gcc actually has some hacks that I probably
> would never send back to gcc.gnu.org.
>
> And, I really am trying to be sensitive to the fact that mingw is not
> "my" project.  I don't want to cloud the issue by releasing too much of
> mingw with Cygwin.  I'm sure that the mingw maintainers have enough to
> do with their own distribution and don't want to be bothered spending
> excessive amounts of time trying to integrate things with Cygwin.
>
> Sometimes I think that the best way to handle all of this is to have a
> completely different compiler which defaults to a totally separate
> /usr/include and /usr/lib area.  i686-pc-mingw-gcc.  Hmm.  It has a nice
> ring to it.

	Indeed...for now, I guess we will just have to muddle along with
things as they are <eg>...maybe one day... <g>

	Peace,

		Paul G.

@ 2001-03-29 20:18         ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 2001-03-29 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Sometimes I think that the best way to handle all of this is to have a
> completely different compiler which defaults to a totally separate
> /usr/include and /usr/lib area.  i686-pc-mingw-gcc.  Hmm.  It has a nice
> ring to it.

Hmmm ... could it be because it makes perfect sense ;-? Seriously, this
is what I used to recommend to anyone who'd ask for a "build environment"
for Mingw. Glad to see I'm not the only one ...

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: -mno-cygwin and C++ -- solved!
@ 2001-03-29 20:46           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-03-29 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 10:03:14PM -0600, Mumit Khan wrote:
>On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> Sometimes I think that the best way to handle all of this is to have a
>> completely different compiler which defaults to a totally separate
>> /usr/include and /usr/lib area.  i686-pc-mingw-gcc.  Hmm.  It has a nice
>> ring to it.
>
>Hmmm ... could it be because it makes perfect sense ;-? Seriously, this
>is what I used to recommend to anyone who'd ask for a "build environment"
>for Mingw. Glad to see I'm not the only one ...

Wasn't --mno-cygwin a Geoff Noer invention?

Would I cause a massive volcanic eruption if I ripped --mno-cygwin out
of gcc and just suggested that people ran the mingw version of gcc?
I guess we'd then be subjected to pathname complaints...

cgf

* Re: -mno-cygwin and C++ -- solved!
@ 2001-03-29 20:57             ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-03-29 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Would I cause a massive volcanic eruption if I ripped --mno-cygwin out
> of gcc and just suggested that people ran the mingw version of gcc?
> I guess we'd then be subjected to pathname complaints...
>
> cgf

How would you build cinstall? :]

Rob

* Re: -mno-cygwin and C++ -- solved!
@ 2001-03-29 21:13               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-03-29 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 02:56:30PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]

Well, *I'd* build a cross-compiler.  But, you're right.  There's also
strace.exe to consider.

Too bad.

cgf

* Re: -mno-cygwin and C++ -- solved!
@ 2001-03-29 23:00             ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 2001-03-29 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Wasn't --mno-cygwin a Geoff Noer invention?

My memory rusty on this, but I believe you're correct (Steve Chamberlain
would've been my second guess, but he may have been before Colin Peters'
work in developing mingw).

> Would I cause a massive volcanic eruption if I ripped --mno-cygwin out
> of gcc and just suggested that people ran the mingw version of gcc?
> I guess we'd then be subjected to pathname complaints...

As you note in other messages, Cygwin itself needs the -mno-cygwin. My
point is that if you want to use mingw with a unix style configuration
scheme, you need to really build it as a cross-compiler to avoid the
various pitfalls in using -mno-cygwin. I still have a build system from
the old days that basically renamed i686-pc-mingw-gcc to just gcc, had
a uname that spit out mingw in some form (Earnie's contribution a long
time ago), and a few other tweaks, and I could build my own packages
which are rather large. Of course, I'd mostly build on either linux or
solaris simply because hosting quality, but that's not much of an issue
anymore with Cygwin's dramatic improvement of late, especially under w2k.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: mingw-extra-2.95.3 [Was: Re: -mno-cygwin and C++]
@ 2001-03-31 19:10       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-03-31 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 04:07:22PM +1200, Danny Smith wrote:
>--- Danny Smith <danny_r_smith_2001@yahoo.co.nz> wrote: >
>> > Presumably you need a version of libstdc++ which was built with msvcrt.dll
>> > in mind rather than dllcrt.dll.  You could probably build this yourself
>> > from the gcc sources.  Apparently others have successfully done this.
>> >
>> > I have repeatedly asked for volunteers to provide this for Cygwin's mingw
>> > package but so far no one has stepped forward.
>>
>> If you are asking for a a mingw-extra-gcc-2.95.3 --libstdc++, libgcc.a (for
>> C++
>> exception handling), libg2c.a)-- where should I upload it.  I haven't tested
>> objc components but others seem to work fine
>
>I didn't get a reposnse to this so I've put  mingw-compiled 2.95.3 libs here:
> http://i10.yimg.com/10/8ddc501b/h/ac85dfc3/mingw-extra-2.95.3.tar.gz
>Completely unofficial, of course, and no guarantees.
>For C++ headers, link or copy /usr/include/g++-3 to /usr/include/mingw/g++-3

Sorry for not responding sooner.

I should have been a little clearer.  I was kind of hoping that someone with
checkin privileges would provide this stuff so that it could be part of
Cygwin's mingw package.

Again, the theory here is that I'm running the Cygwin project and
someone else is running the Mingw project.  It does not seem to be
extremely important for the Mingw maintainers to accomodate the Cygwin
side of things so there are some rough spots in Cygwin's handling of
mingw issues.

This strongly tempts me, as I have mentioned before, to just rip out all
of the mingw support from cygwin and point people to the real Mingw
project.  Then I can add an auto-responder to this mailing list which
points people to mingw every time the words "-mno-cygwin", "without
Cygwin", or "mingw" are detected.

cgf