* which TZ timezones does date command recognize?
@ 2001-04-23 10:20 Teun Burgers
From: Teun Burgers @ 2001-04-23 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

date displays the time with a 2 hour offset on my system.
So I should set my TZ environment variable,
as adviced in an older e-mail

The example there says export TZ=EST5EDT.

This does indeed work as expected. However
I am in MET (Amsterdam), but TZ=MET does not
work. How can I found out which timezones
date recognizes?

Thanks!

Teun Burgers

* Re: which TZ timezones does date command recognize?
@ 2001-04-23 11:05 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-04-23 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teun Burgers; +Cc: Cygwin Users

Teun Burgers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> date displays the time with a 2 hour offset on my system.
> So I should set my TZ environment variable,
> as adviced in an older e-mail
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-01/msg00463.html
>
> The example there says export TZ=EST5EDT.
>
> This does indeed work as expected. However
> I am in MET (Amsterdam), but TZ=MET does not
> work. How can I found out which timezones
> date recognizes?

By doing some research using Google.com I found that TZ=MET-1DST works.

Earnie.

* Re: which TZ timezones does date command recognize?
@ 2001-04-23 12:18   ` Teun Burgers
From: Teun Burgers @ 2001-04-23 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Users

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> By doing some research using Google.com I found that TZ=MET-1DST works.
>
> Earnie.

This does do the job

Thanks!

Teun

* Re: which TZ timezones does date command recognize?
@ 2001-04-23 12:38   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-04-23 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Users

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 02:05:22PM -0400, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Teun Burgers wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > date displays the time with a 2 hour offset on my system.
> > So I should set my TZ environment variable,
> > as adviced in an older e-mail
> >
> > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-01/msg00463.html
> >
> > The example there says export TZ=EST5EDT.
> >
> > This does indeed work as expected. However
> > I am in MET (Amsterdam), but TZ=MET does not
> > work. How can I found out which timezones
> > date recognizes?
> >

> By doing some research using Google.com I found that TZ=MET-1DST works.

Just for the records, the correct TZ string for the middle/central
european timezone is

	TZ=CET-1CEST-2,M3.5.0/02:00:00,M10.5.0/03:00:00

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: which TZ timezones does date command recognize?
@ 2001-07-23  2:51 Nicolai Henriksen
From: Nicolai Henriksen @ 2001-07-23  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

At 23 April 2001 a discussion on how to set the TZ variable ended in Corinna
saying:
> Just for the records, the correct TZ string for the middle/central
> european timezone is
>
>	TZ=CET-1CEST-2,M3.5.0/02:00:00,M10.5.0/03:00:00

which seems work on my Danish (dont ask) Win2k using cygwin dll version
1.3.2.

I have a Windows NT 4 sp6a (US) installation on another machine with cygwin
dll version 1.3.1.

On the WinNT machine I do NOT need to set the TZ variable. Cygwin seems to
have been figuring it out itself as both date and date -u give the expected
result (taking into account that I am in GMT+1 timezone with daylight saving
on, just as in Corinna's mail above).

So my question is: how come I need to set the TZ variable on my Win2k
machine when cygwin seems to figure it out alone on the WinNT???

(please cc to me directly also).

 - Nicolai
---
Nicolai Henriksen <nhe@lyngso-industri.dk>