* GCC 3.0 for i686-pc-cygwin target, bootstrap fails
@ 2001-06-28 16:35 Steven Parry
From: Steven Parry @ 2001-06-28 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, gcc

Hello,

I hope someone can help!  I'm trying to get a
more-or-less std library compliant gcc version on my
portable pc. I've installed cygwin fine, and have
tried to install gcc3.0.  It appeared to configure
fine, but when doing a "make bootstrap", I get the
following error (after a while):

../../gcc-3.0/gcc/config/i386/i386.md:289: unknown rtx
code 'define_asm_attribut's
../../gcc-3.0/gcc/config/i386/i386.md:289: following
context is ' [(set attr "length" "128")'
make[2]@ ***[s-codes] Error 1
make: ***[bootstrap] Error 2

I actually tried removing the offending lines from the
i386.md, but it failed again on the same file this
time at line 1169 (compare statement)

Its the latest version of cygwin I've downloaded
(1.3.2, using gcc 2.95) and its running on Win NT, on
an IBM Thinkpad.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks very much,

Steve

(I've also downloaded stdlib v3 but I don't have the
gcc 2.95 source so don't think I can install it -
that's what the instructions suggest.  I've also tried
to install stlport4.0, but this fails to compile also,
complaining about missing values.h, and then when I
supply a dummy one, bombs out at the end during
linking.  Hmmmm!)

* Re: GCC 3.0 for i686-pc-cygwin target, bootstrap fails
@ 2001-06-30  3:55 ` Bobby McNulty
From: Bobby McNulty @ 2001-06-30  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Parry, cygwin, gcc

Steve, give up and just use gcc 2.95.3.
GCC 3.0 is a major release, and has several bugs that
prevent Cygwin from using all the tools.

* Re: GCC 3.0 for i686-pc-cygwin target, bootstrap fails
@ 2001-07-31  3:59   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-07-31  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, gcc

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 01:27:20AM -0500, Corwin Joy wrote:

> [...]

So much for the idea of a "strong warning...[about] non-Cygwin programs".

We already warn against using WinZip in the documentation but...

cgf

* Re: GCC 3.0 for i686-pc-cygwin target, bootstrap fails
@ 2001-07-30 23:27 ` Corwin Joy
From: Corwin Joy @ 2001-07-30 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Di-an Jan, cygwin, gcc; +Cc: sjp_cmp

> > ../../gcc-3.0/gcc/config/i386/i386.md:289: unknown rtx
> > code 'define_asm_attributes

<...snip..>
> > Anyway, the problem seems to have something to do with carriage return
> > versus line-feed under Cygwin.
<...snip..>
> I ran into the same. The problem is that '\r' is not recognized as white
> space in various parts of "rtl.c". Specifically, "read_name" thinks '\r'
> is a part of the name.
>
> A better fix is probably to put the sources under a directory mounted
> textmode (or change the mount to binmode if the files are already
> extracted). If the directory is set for binmode, Cygwin's "tar" does not
> add extra '\r' but external programs such as WinZip might, and "rtl.c"
> don't handle it well enough.

This would likely be what bit me.  As someone more conversant with NT than
Cygwin I just used WinZip to uncompress the distribution file which may have
added the extra '\r'.

> I think a note should be added to the "Host/target specific installation
> notes" page that either the sources should be extracted with Cygwin "tar"
> or extracted to a directory mounted textmode.
>
> A strong warning should also be added to the Cygwin User's Guide that
> binmode cannot maintain Unix newline conventions if non-Cygwin programs
> such as WinZip are used, and some programs will fail.
>
> "rtl.c" shows a mixture of handling and ignoring '\r'. I could probably
> fix "rtl.c" but it's probably not worthwhile. Many other files probably
> have this problem too. Perhaps a note about newline/whitespace handling
> can be added to one of the coding standards so that in the future things
> might be more consistent.

You may be right, however, I can say that for Cygwin  after fixing i386.md
the remainder of the make bootstrap process went through and the resulting
c++ compiler seems to be working fine on some relatively complex programs.
So, it may actually be a somewhat localized problem.

Corwin

* Re: GCC 3.0 for i686-pc-cygwin target, bootstrap fails
@ 2001-07-30 21:54 Di-an Jan
From: Di-an Jan @ 2001-07-30 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, gcc; +Cc: cjoy, sjp_cmp

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-07/msg01901.html

[...]

By the way, I bootstrapped GCC-3.0 release on an old Cyrix 6x86 which
suffers from random freezes/reboots within the first 30 minutes of
powering up (probably overheating/hardware problems, cf.
http://wauug.erols.com/%7ebalsa/linux/cyrix/p0_no_frames.html
) and on the old version of Windows 95, but the latest Cygwin packages,
so I think it's pretty amazing that it actually worked.

Di-an JAN

* Re: GCC 3.0 for i686-pc-cygwin target, bootstrap fails
@ 2001-07-30  0:55 Corwin Joy
From: Corwin Joy @ 2001-07-30  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, gcc; +Cc: sjp_cmp

----------------------

I just downloaded the GCC 3.0 official release and got the same error
message.  However, after more searches, it seems that some of the developers
have seen the same problem. (see e.g.
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2001-03/msg00196.html ).
Anyway, the problem seems to have something to do with carriage return
versus line-feed under Cygwin.  Here is what I did to fix the problem:
1. go to the directory for i386.md and execute the following commands:
cat i386.md | tr -d '\r' > i386.out
rm i386.md
mv i386.out i386.md

this seems to fix the problem and allowed the build to continue.