* ActivePerl ?
@ 2001-07-02 19:16 Sam C.
From: Sam C. @ 2001-07-02 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Any suggestion whether I should install activePerl or
download-compile from perl source code ?

To download-compile from perl source code : where can
I get a source code which can be compiled without
problem in cygwin ?  Or, where can I get a
pre-compiled perl binary for cygwin ?

* Re: ActivePerl ?
@ 2001-07-02 19:24 ` Kevin Wright
From: Kevin Wright @ 2001-07-02 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam C.; +Cc: cygwin

On Monday, July 2, 2001, at 07:16 PM, Sam C. wrote:

> Any suggestion whether I should install activePerl or
> download-compile from perl source code ?
>
> To download-compile from perl source code : where can
> I get a source code which can be compiled without
> problem in cygwin ?  Or, where can I get a
> pre-compiled perl binary for cygwin ?

Sam,

Perl is available as one of the packages when you run setup.exe.
Did you download and install all of the packages?

Kevin Wright
Cupertino, CA

* Re: ActivePerl ?
@ 2001-07-02 19:33   ` Sam C.
From: Sam C. @ 2001-07-02 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Wright; +Cc: cygwin

Kevin,

Thanks.

I just check the setup.log.full, and find these lines
:
[perl] action=same trust=unknown installed=none
partial_list=yes src?=no
     [test] ver=5.6.1-1 partial_list=yes

            inst=contrib/perl/perl-5.6.1-1.tar.gz
5893455 exists=no

            src=contrib/perl/perl-5.6.1-1-src.tar.gz
6305513 exists=no

So, it seems that I didn't get the perl from the
mirror site I selected.

I would try another site. Any recommendation of site ?

 --- Kevin Wright <kwright@apple.com> ªº¶l¥ó¤º®e¡G>
> On Monday, July 2, 2001, at 07:16 PM, Sam C. wrote:
>
> > Any suggestion whether I should install activePerl
> or
> > download-compile from perl source code ?
> >
> > To download-compile from perl source code : where
> can
> > I get a source code which can be compiled without
> > problem in cygwin ?  Or, where can I get a
> > pre-compiled perl binary for cygwin ?

> > ·úΩ¸Ä¿ÍÌÖãë http://geocities.yahoo.com.hk
> > Build your own website at
> http://geocities.yahoo.com.hk
> >

> Sam,
>
> Perl is available as one of the packages when you
> run setup.exe.
> Did you download and install all of the packages?
>
> Kevin Wright
> Cupertino, CA

* Re: ActivePerl ?
@ 2001-07-02 20:10     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-07-02 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 10:33:17AM +0800, Sam C. wrote:
>Kevin,
>
>Thanks.
>
>I just check the setup.log.full, and find these lines
>:
>[perl] action=same trust=unknown installed=none
>partial_list=yes src?=no
>     [test] ver=5.6.1-1 partial_list=yes
>
>            inst=contrib/perl/perl-5.6.1-1.tar.gz
>5893455 exists=no
>
>            src=contrib/perl/perl-5.6.1-1-src.tar.gz
>6305513 exists=no
>
>So, it seems that I didn't get the perl from the
>mirror site I selected.
>
>I would try another site. Any recommendation of site ?

The problem is that perl is a test-only release.  So, you should
click on the Test button to see it.

I've actually removed this designation from the cygwin.com web site
but it will take a while to propagate to mirrors.

cgf

* Re: ActivePerl ?
@ 2001-07-02 20:13     ` Greg Matheson
From: Greg Matheson @ 2001-07-02 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 03 Jul 2001, Sam C. wrote:

> I just check the setup.log.full, and find these lines
> :
> [perl] action=same trust=unknown installed=none

[cut]

> So, it seems that I didn't get the perl from the
> mirror site I selected.

It seems perl is not installed when you just run setup.exe
without doing some extra stuff.

If you click the Exp(erimental) radio button on the "Select
packages to install" screen, perl 5.6.1 appears and you can
install it from all mirrors, I think.

I don't know why perl is experimental. It used to be installed
automatically.

--
Greg Matheson                    Teaching: computer programming
Chinmin College,                 done by monkeys.

* RE: ActivePerl ?
@ 2001-07-02 19:45 Neil Lunn
From: Neil Lunn @ 2001-07-02 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'