* Re: chroot bug
@ 2001-08-09  6:20 Noel L Yap
From: Noel L Yap @ 2001-08-09  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yap_noel; +Cc: cygwin

chroot works for the most part.  I get sporadic memory errors (xmalloc not able
to allocate or segfault) when trying out commands (eg ls) after the chroot,
though.  I'll see if I can track them down.

I'm not able to do everything I want but I think it's more a mount issue than a
chroot issue.  I'll see if there's anything that can be done without breaking
anything.

Noel

|--------+----------------------->
|        |                       |
|        |          yap_noel@jpmo|
|        |          rgan.com     |
|        |                       |
|        |          08/08/01     |
|        |          05:12 PM     |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  |       To:     cygwin@cygwin.com                                            |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Noel L Yap)                                            |
  |       Subject:     Re: chroot bug                                          |

I've tried the latest snapshot and "chroot /" works.  I'll let you know if I see
other problems with chroot.

Thanks much,
Noel

|--------+----------------------->
|        |                       |
|        |          cgf@redhat.co|
|        |          m            |
|        |                       |
|        |          08/06/01     |
|        |          09:22 PM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          cygwin       |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  |       To:     cygwin@cygwin.com                                            |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Noel L Yap)                                            |
  |       Subject:     Re: chroot bug                                          |

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 06:51:25PM -0400, Noel L Yap wrote:

>>>Yes, I get this from the latest snapshot (I'm assuming that running the
latest
>>>setup.exe will get me the latest snapshot?).
>>

>>No, snapshots are different than the net release.  See
>> http://www.cygwin.com/snapshots/  These are the current development
>>builds representing the road to the next release.  If its broken here,
>>it will be broken in the next release without additional attention.
>
>I installed the latest snapshot of cygwin1.dll over my current cygwin1.dll.
>"chroot /" still produces an error saying that "/bin/bash" isn't found.  Did I
>test this right?  Should I have rebooted?  Where can I get the tarballed source
>for chroot?  What else can I do to track this down?

If there are problems they would be in cygwin, not in the chroot program.  This
is evidenced by the fact that you claim that things work better in 1.3.1 over
1.3.2.  I doubt that chroot changed during that period.

Check out the cygwin web site for information on how to get the cygwin sources.

Or, wait for the next snapshot.  I believe that I've fixed the problem.

cgf

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., its
subsidiaries and affiliates.

@ 2001-08-09  7:48 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-08-09  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 09:20:19AM -0400, Noel L Yap wrote:
>chroot works for the most part.  I get sporadic memory errors (xmalloc not able
>to allocate or segfault) when trying out commands (eg ls) after the chroot,
>though.  I'll see if I can track them down.

What is the chroot command that you're using "chroot /"?  Since this actually
does nothing at all now it would be surprising if it had any effect on any
commands.

Details in bug reports are always a necessity if you want solutions.

cgf

* Re: chroot bug
@ 2001-08-08 14:12 Noel L Yap
From: Noel L Yap @ 2001-08-08 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-08-06 18:22 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-08-06 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-08-06 15:51 Noel L Yap
From: Noel L Yap @ 2001-08-06 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lhall; +Cc: cygwin

>> >So you're saying you get this result from a recent snapshot as well?
>>
>>Yes, I get this from the latest snapshot (I'm assuming that running the latest
>>setup.exe will get me the latest snapshot?).
>

>No, snapshots are different than the net release.  See
> http://www.cygwin.com/snapshots/  These are the current development
>builds representing the road to the next release.  If its broken here,
>it will be broken in the next release without additional attention.

I installed the latest snapshot of cygwin1.dll over my current cygwin1.dll.
"chroot /" still produces an error saying that "/bin/bash" isn't found.  Did I
test this right?  Should I have rebooted?  Where can I get the tarballed source
for chroot?  What else can I do to track this down?

Thanks,
Noel

@ 2001-08-06 15:25 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-08-06 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel L Yap; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-08-06 15:14 Noel L Yap
From: Noel L Yap @ 2001-08-06 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lhall; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-08-06 14:48 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-08-06 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel L Yap, cygwin

@ 2001-08-06 14:25 Noel L Yap
From: Noel L Yap @ 2001-08-06 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>So you are using a snapshot from before 1.3.2? I hope this is a typo.

chroot doesn't work with 1.3.2 AFAICT.  It works fine with 1.3.1.

>What, precisely is "buggy" in the current snapshots?  If you are going to
>make a statement like this, you should qualify it with some kind of details.

My original email stated that "chroot /" doesn't work.  I get:
nyap:jpmpsdev@NYAP:/%/d/WebSphere/admin/bin> chroot /
chroot: cannot execute /bin/bash: No such file or directory

What sort of details are you looking for?

Thanks,
Noel

@ 2001-08-06 13:28 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-08-06 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 11:32:05AM -0400, Noel L Yap wrote:
>I have a working snapshot dated 2001 April 25 (or around there).  The current
>snapshot is buggy.  It doesn't look like chroot.c has changed between the two so
>it's either a header file change or a dll change that introduced the bug.

So you are using a snapshot from before 1.3.2? I hope this is a typo.

What, precisely is "buggy" in the current snapshots?  If you are going to
make a statement like this, you should qualify it with some kind of details.

FWIW, a very cursory glance at the *cygwin* ChangeLog shows that there
have been changes to chroot.

cgf

* Re: chroot bug
@ 2001-08-06  9:10 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-08-06  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel L Yap; +Cc: cygwin

OK, I'd suggest trying a recent snapshot relative to the chroot issue.
If there's still problems, then a further foray into the Cygwin source
may be necessary.

Larry

At 11:32 AM 8/6/2001, Noel L Yap wrote:
>I have a working snapshot dated 2001 April 25 (or around there).  The current
>snapshot is buggy.  It doesn't look like chroot.c has changed between the two so
>it's either a header file change or a dll change that introduced the bug.
>
>Thanks,
>Noel
>
>Not that I know of.  Have you tried a snapshot to see if the issue is
>resolved or different there?
>
>Larry
>

>At 10:33 AM 8/6/2001, Noel L Yap wrote:
> >Is anyone working on the chroot bug (eg "chroot /" doesn't work).
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Noel
> >

> >This communication is for informational purposes only.  It is not intended as
> >an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument
> >or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices, data
> >and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and
> >are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein
> >do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., its
> >subsidiaries and affiliates.
> >

> >--
>

>This communication is for informational purposes only.  It is not intended as
>an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument
>or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices, data
>and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and
>are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein
>do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., its
>subsidiaries and affiliates.
>

>--

* Re: chroot bug
@ 2001-08-06  8:33 Noel L Yap
From: Noel L Yap @ 2001-08-06  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lhall; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-08-06  8:02 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-08-06  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel L Yap, cygwin

Not that I know of.  Have you tried a snapshot to see if the issue is
resolved or different there?

Larry

At 10:33 AM 8/6/2001, Noel L Yap wrote:
>Is anyone working on the chroot bug (eg "chroot /" doesn't work).
>
>Thanks,
>Noel
>

>This communication is for informational purposes only.  It is not intended as
>an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument
>or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices, data
>and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and
>are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein
>do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., its
>subsidiaries and affiliates.
>

>--

* chroot bug
@ 2001-08-06  7:33 Noel L Yap