* copying and pasting in rxvt
@ 2002-03-17 19:40 Oleg
From: Oleg @ 2002-03-17 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi

How can I get copying and pasting to work in rxvt like it does under X? I
want to be able to slect text with the left button and paste it with the
middle button ("emulated" actually: I just press both left and right buttons
at the same time). I used to have it work on my other computer (laptop). The
setup seems to be identical, but it doesn't work now.

Thanks

* Re: copying and pasting in rxvt
@ 2002-03-18  4:18 ` Lars Munch
From: Lars Munch @ 2002-03-18  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 09:14:59PM -0500, Oleg wrote:
> Hi
>
> How can I get copying and pasting to work in rxvt like it does under X? I
> want to be able to slect text with the left button and paste it with the
> middle button ("emulated" actually: I just press both left and right buttons
> at the same time). I used to have it work on my other computer (laptop). The
> setup seems to be identical, but it doesn't work now.

Try putting:

"\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

in your .inputrc.

With this, copy/paste work perfectly in rxvt for me.

Regards
Lars Munch

* Re: copying and pasting in rxvt
@ 2002-03-18  7:15   ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-03-18  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 Lars,

Montag, 18. MÀrz 2002 15:37:33, du schriebst:

>> How can I get copying and pasting to work in rxvt like it does under X? I
>> want to be able to slect text with the left button and paste it with the
>> middle button ("emulated" actually: I just press both left and right buttons
>> at the same time). I used to have it work on my other computer (laptop). The
>> setup seems to be identical, but it doesn't work now.

> Try putting:

> "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

> in your .inputrc.

But this belongs to the 'insert' key on the keyboard.
Cut&Paste with mouse is built in rxvt, double-click/triple-click to copy
word/line to the clipboard, left click somewhere and following right-click
to mark the whole area (and immediately copit to the clipboard) and
<shift-left-click> to paste (or <insert> with the above entry in
.inputrc)

And while editing .inputrc, consider to add some more goodies:

$ cat .inputrc
# This file is read by the 'readline' library
# (the library which bash uses for its command-
# line editing facility)

# Make Home work
"\e[7~": beginning-of-line
# Make End work
"\e[8~": end-of-line
# Make Delete work
"\e[3~": delete-char
# make Insert work
"\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

Gerrit
--
$ make signature
make: *** No rule to make target `signature'.  Stop.

* Re: copying and pasting in rxvt
@ 2002-03-19 14:13     ` Lars Munch
From: Lars Munch @ 2002-03-19 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 03:43:25PM +0100, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> And while editing .inputrc, consider to add some more goodies:
>
> $ cat .inputrc
> # This file is read by the 'readline' library
> # (the library which bash uses for its command-
> # line editing facility)
>
> # Make Home work
> "\e[7~": beginning-of-line
> # Make End work
> "\e[8~": end-of-line
> # Make Delete work
> "\e[3~": delete-char
> # make Insert work
> "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

More goodies (for rxvt only):

# ctrl-left and ctrl-right
"\eOd" : backward-word
"\eOc" : forward-word

-- Lars Munch

* RE: copying and pasting in rxvt
@ 2002-03-20  3:06 "Schaible, Jörg"
From: "Schaible, Jörg" @ 2002-03-20  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Randall,

>Here's what I did: I used "od -c" to determine what are the actual
>sequences generated by the keys I cared to map and then wrote
>a .inputrc
>file based on that.

ahh, this was the missing step. I never knew, what key code sequences could
be used to assign a function at the key combination I wanted to.

:)

Thanks,
Jörg

* Re: copying and pasting in rxvt
@ 2002-03-18 10:17 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-03-18 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Joerg.Schaible

 Jörg,

Montag, 18. MÀrz 2002 18:58:50, du schriebst:

> Hi Gerrit,

>># Make Home work
>>"\e[7~": beginning-of-line
>># Make End work
>>"\e[8~": end-of-line
>># Make Delete work
>>"\e[3~": delete-char
>># make Insert work
>>"\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

> is there any documentation for the key mappings ? I tried without success to
> bind something to ALT+CurUp or ALT+CurDown. Even more, is there any way
> identifying the keys of the number block ?

man readline
(though e.g. paste-from-clipboard is not in there IIRC).

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* RE: copying and pasting in rxvt
@ 2002-03-18  9:15 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-03-18  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joerg.Schaible, cygwin

Jorg,

Here's what I did: I used "od -c" to determine what are the actual
sequences generated by the keys I cared to map and then wrote a .inputrc
file based on that.

Here's a hint, RXVT and the Windows console do not agree fully on key
mappings (nor are the completely distinct).

Here's the ".inputrc" file I use. It works both with RXVT and the Windows
console:

-==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==-
# set completion-ignore-case on

# Console:
#   F1 - F5
"\M-[[A"    "fg %1\C-M"
"\M-[[B"    "fg %2\C-M"
"\M-[[C"    "fg %3\C-M"
"\M-[[D"    "fg %4\C-M"
"\M-[[E"    "fg %5\C-M"

# RXVT:
#   F1 - F4
"\M-[11~"   "fg %1\C-M"
"\M-[12~"   "fg %2\C-M"
"\M-[13~"   "fg %3\C-M"
"\M-[14~"   "fg %4\C-M"
"\M-[15~"   "fg %5\C-M"

# Both Console and RXVT:
#   F6 - F12
"\M-[17~"   "fg %6\C-M"
"\M-[18~"   "fg %7\C-M"
"\M-[19~"   "fg %8\C-M"
"\M-[20~"   "fg %9\C-M"
"\M-[21~"   "fg %10\C-M"
"\M-[23~"   "fg %11\C-M"
"\M-[24~"   "fg %-\C-M"

# Console:
     "\M-[1~":   beginning-of-line       # Home
     "\M-[4~":   end-of-line             # End

# RXVT:
     "\M-[7~":   beginning-of-line       # Home
     "\M-[8~":   end-of-line             # End

# Both Console and RXVT:
     "\M-[2~":   paste-from-clipboard    # Insert
#   "\M-[5~"                            # Page-Up
     "\M-[3~":   delete-char             # Delete
#   "\M-[6~"                            # Page-Down
-==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==-

The attachment is the same file in Unix EOL format with tabs intact. The
tabs are meant to be set at four-column intervals.

I suppose most people will find my use of the Fn keys unimaginative, but at
least you now know what sequences they generate on each emulator.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 08:19 2002-03-18, =?ISO-8859-15?Q?=22Schaible=2C_J=F6rg=22?= wrote:
>Hi Gerrit,
>
> ># Make Home work
> >"\e[7~": beginning-of-line
> ># Make End work
> >"\e[8~": end-of-line
> ># Make Delete work
> >"\e[3~": delete-char
> ># make Insert work
> >"\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard
>
>is there any documentation for the key mappings ? I tried without success
>to bind something to ALT+CurUp or ALT+CurDown. Even more, is there any way
>identifying the keys of the number block?
>
>Regards,
>Jörg

[-- Attachment #2: .inputrc --]

@ 2002-03-18  9:10 "Schaible, Jörg"
From: "Schaible, Jörg" @ 2002-03-18  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Gerrit,

@ 2002-03-18  6:27 Joshua Daniel Franklin
From: Joshua Daniel Franklin @ 2002-03-18  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 09:14:59PM -0500, Oleg wrote:
> Hi
>
> How can I get copying and pasting to work in rxvt like it does under X? I
> want to be able to slect text with the left button and paste it with the
> middle button ("emulated" actually: I just press both left and right buttons
> at the same time). I used to have it work on my other computer (laptop). The
> setup seems to be identical, but it doesn't work now.

The emulated 3rd button only works if you massage the configuration files
to do this (like linux system installers do). Otherwise you might like
to try Shift-Left Click. (BTW, if you've got a wheel mouse, the wheel counts
as a 3rd button.)