* Re: CYGWIN variable: impact of options under Win9x
@ 2002-03-19 14:30 Soren Andersen
From: Soren Andersen @ 2002-03-19 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 11:44:22 +0100, "Corinna Vinschen"
<cygwin@cygwin.com> said:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 07:22:28AM +0000, Soren Andersen wrote:

> > Now I am looking at setting CYGWIN thus:

> > SET CYGWIN=export noenvcache glob:ignorecase title nostrip_title
> > winsymlinks tty

> > What sort of surprises or changes in behavior (that I might not have
> > realized were changeable behavior, i.e. things that I'd not taken heed
> > of until now) might I experience?

> The only dangerous one AFAICS is 'tty' which changes
> the way the console is handled.  Impact is that native Win32 console
> apps could show some surprising effects.

Can you give an example? That's precisely what I am not clear on. WHICH
native console apps?

> > I am also keen on assuring myself that not mentioning "ntea" or "ntsec"
> > is fine; that those options would do nothing under Win98 anyway, and
>
> These are NT options.  Forget them on 9x/Me.

Thank you Corinna, that's what I wanted to be sure of more than
anything.

   Best,
     Soren Andersen

* Re: CYGWIN variable: impact of options under Win9x
@ 2002-03-19  2:55 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-03-19  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 07:22:28AM +0000, Soren Andersen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am hoping that I'll get some helpful hints by posting this. I've been
> running Cygwin under Win98SE for months now without the CYGWIN env
> variable set in Windows at all. I have FAT and FAT32 partitions. My
> mounts are all binmode. Now I am looking at setting CYGWIN thus:
>
> SET CYGWIN=export noenvcache glob:ignorecase title nostrip_title
> winsymlinks tty
>
> What sort of surprises or changes in behavior (that I might not have
> realized were changeable behavior, i.e. things that I'd not taken heed
> of until now) might I experience?
>
> Since this is the Cygwin List rather than another and its character is
> what it is, I'll type out explicitly that: I am posting this because I
> have a feeling of less than perfect comprehension of the uses and
> ramifications of the parameters to CYGWIN, even after reading
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html.

A refinement of your question would be nice.  I can't believe that
you don't understand *all* of the above options.  Which one are you
unsure about?  The only dangerous one AFAICS is 'tty' which changes
the way the console is handled.  Impact is that native Win32 console
apps could show some surprising effects.

> I am also keen on assuring myself that not mentioning "ntea" or "ntsec"
> is fine; that those options would do nothing under Win98 anyway, and

These are NT options.  Forget them on 9x/Me.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* CYGWIN variable: impact of options under Win9x
@ 2002-03-19  2:01 Soren Andersen
From: Soren Andersen @ 2002-03-19  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]

I am particularly keen on knowing what might not work in just the same
way as before (under a default condition on Win98SE, that is in which
there is no setting for CYGWIN at all) due to the last parameter "tty".
The document at the url given above indicates that "[it is] not
compatible with some Windows applications." I find that quite vague and
am most unsure how concerned to be about it.

I am also keen on assuring myself that not mentioning "ntea" or "ntsec"
is fine; that those options would do nothing under Win98 anyway, and
that Cygwin applications will run fine with them not set (i.e.,
*sshd*)??

My Cygwin installation at this moment:
  Cygwin DLL version info:
      DLL version: 1.3.10
      DLL epoch: 19
  [...]
      Build date: Mon Feb 25 11:14:34 EST 2002
      Shared id: cygwin1S3

    Thanks,
      Soren Andersen