* Re: Updated: texinfo 4.1
@ 2002-03-20 15:04 Oliver Nittka
From: Oliver Nittka @ 2002-03-20 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Robert Mark Bram wrote:

> Howdy all!
>
> Read the documentation.. made my .bashrc script!
>
> Here it is so far:
>
> function ll
> {
>    ls -l
> }
>
> function m
> {
>    man $1 | less
> }

Why do you insist on piping the output of man to less? It's unnecessary
as man will use whatever is in PAGER.

> Any one have any other nice tricks they use in theirs?

There are thousands of them!

* Re: Updated: texinfo 4.1
@ 2002-03-20 17:50 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-03-20 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 02:15:43AM +0100, Oliver Nittka wrote:

Wow.  Two people in one day to block from posting here...

cgf

* Re: Updated: texinfo 4.1
@ 2002-03-20 17:39 Oliver Nittka
From: Oliver Nittka @ 2002-03-20 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This is strange! Why did this happen? I posted it but Oliver Nittka is
listed as the poster. Then the odd mail headers and to the wrong
subject. Hmmm... Mysterious...

Oliver Nittka wrote:

> To: Pavel Tsekov <cygwin@cygwin.com>
> CC: cygwin@cygwin.com
> Subject: Re: Anonymous ftp on 1.3.9
>
> Hmmm... Why did you email me personally? Keep it on the list! (I thought
> I had set up the Followup-To or the Reply-To to handle this).
>
> Pavel Tsekov wrote:
>

>>Hello Andrew,
>>
>>Wednesday, March 20, 2002, 2:38:01 AM, you wrote:
>>
>>AD> I had set up anonymous ftp before and it was working find (probably
>>AD> around 1.3.6). Now on 1.3.9 it doesn't seem to be working right. I've
>>
>>What exactly isn't working ?
>>

> adefaria:/bin/ftp adefaria
> Connected to adefaria.SALIRA.COM.
> 220- Welcome to adefaria's ftp service
> 220 adefaria FTP server (GNU inetutils 1.3.2) ready.
> Name (adefaria:adefaria): anonymous
> 331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
> Password:
> 530 Login incorrect.
> /bin/ftp: Login failed.
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ftp>
>
>>[snip]
>>
>>AD> ftpd : Win32 Process Id = 0x998 : Cygwin Process Id = 0xA78 : fcntl
>>AD> F_SETOWN: Invalid argument.
>>
>>Search the mail list archives - it's all there.
>>

> Searched the mail list. There were 32 matches for F_SETOWN. None of them
> are appropriate. Some discussed F_SETOWN in the event log and how we can
> safely ignore it. However as shown above, I cannot perform anonymous
> ftp's and the event log F_SETOWN message is my only clue.
>

>>AD> It's this F_SETOWN fcntl call that concerns me. Anybody have anonymous
>>
>>I think not, but again you don't say what isn't working
>>

> As shown above, I cannot successfully login as anonymous through ftpd

* Re: Updated: texinfo 4.1
@ 2002-03-20 17:28 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-03-20 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-03-20 15:21 Oliver Nittka
From: Oliver Nittka @ 2002-03-20 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Do you have C:\Cygwin\Bin in your Windows System Environment Variable
PATH? Have you rebooted since you've put it in your PATH?

Christopher Paulicka wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry to bother you, but I am trying to get cron to
> work on my Windows 2000 machine.
>
> I installed cron as instructed here:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2001/msg00077.html
>
> which was:
>
>   cygrunsrv -I cron -p /usr/sbin/cron -a -D
>
> My $(id) was:
>
> uid=500(Administrator) gid=513(None) groups=513(None)
>
> If I now go to services, "cron" is listed as a
> service, but is not running.
>
> When I try to start it, I get an error from the
> Microsoft Management Console:
>
> "Could not start the cron service on Local Computer.
> The service did not return an error.  This could be an
> internal Windows error or an internal service error.
> If the problem persists, contact your system
> administrator."
>
> Do you have any suggestions for how to get cron
> working?  I would really appreciate it.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Christopher Paulicka
> christopher_paulicka@hp.com
>

> =====
> christopher_paulicka@hp.com
> Artifex in Batik Group
> Hewlett-Packard EPS EMSO
> 1501 Page Mill Road, 1603 (6L-W61)
> Palo Alto, CA  94305
> Phone: (650)857-2336
> Fax:   (650)852-8061

* Re: Updated: texinfo 4.1
@ 2002-03-20 15:20 Oliver Nittka
From: Oliver Nittka @ 2002-03-20 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Lars Munch wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 04:20:00PM -0700, BERNDT, JON wrote:
>
>>I have installed CygWin on numerous machines using teh nice setup program at
>>cygwin.com. Recently, however, I have installed CygWin on two machines (one
>>a W2K machine and the other a Win98SE machine) and when I tried to run rxvt
>>I got strange behavior for the prompt. If I bring up a bash shell
>>immediately after installing, then type "rxvt" at the bash prompt, this is
>>what shows up in the rxvt console:
>>
>>--- start ---
>>\[\033]0;\w\007
>>\033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
>>$
>>--- end ---
>>
>>I am at a loss to explain what to do. This has not happened to me in prior
>>cygwin installs. I checked the FAQ and the mailing list archives for March,
>>but could not find any reference to anything new that should have caused
>>this.
>>

> Put:
>
> export SHELL=/bin/bash
>
> in /etc/profile

Yes. rxvt runs $SHELL if present otherwise /bin/sh. Now the real
question is why isn't export SHELL=/bin/bash in /etc/profile, or,
rather, why isn't the user's shell preference, specified in /etc/passwd
taken and exported as SHELL?

* Re: Updated: texinfo 4.1
@ 2002-03-20 15:13 Oliver Nittka
From: Oliver Nittka @ 2002-03-20 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Lars Munch wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 04:57:36AM -0500, Oleg wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I'm curious, how does everyone start cygwin? I use a shortcut
>>"C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -sl 200 -fg white -bg black -geometry
>>110x43+0+0 -backspacekey ^H -fn 8x16 -e /bin/bash --login -i", starting in
>>"C:\cygwin\bin" (the geometry matches my screen resolution) Is there a
>>smarter/faster way to start cygwin?
>>

> I use the following in my shortcut:
> C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -e /bin/bash --login -i
>
> And then I have this in my .Xresources (for rxvt)
>
> ! rxvt settings
> rxvt*font: 9x15
> rxvt*cursorColor: MediumOrchid3
> rxvt*background: grey15
> rxvt*foreground: wheat3
> rxvt*saveLines: 1500
> rxvt*pointerColor: MediumOrchid3
> rxvt*visualBell: off
> rxvt*scrollBar_right: true
> rxvt*colorBD: Yellow3
> rxvt*colorUL: MediumOrchid3
> rxvt*scrollColor: grey15
> rxvt*troughColor: grey11
> rxvt*termName: rxvt
> rxvt*modifier: mod1
>
> ! color0 - color7 are normal colors. The  defaults  are,  respectively
> ! black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, and white
> rxvt*color0:                   grey15
> rxvt*color1:                   IndianRed
> rxvt*color2:                   MediumSeaGreen
> rxvt*color3:                   Yellow3
> rxvt*color4:                   SteelBlue4
> rxvt*color5:                   MediumOrchid3
> rxvt*color6:                   Cyan3
> rxvt*color7:                   White
>
> ! color8 - color 15 are bold colors if the bold attribute is enabled.
> ! The  defaults  are,  respectively
> ! black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, and white
> rxvt*color8:                   grey15
> rxvt*color9:                   IndianRed
> rxvt*color10:                  MediumSeaGreen
> rxvt*color11:                  Yellow3
> rxvt*color12:                  SteelBlue4
> rxvt*color13:                  MediumOrchid3
> rxvt*color14:                  Cyan3
> rxvt*color15:                  White

I too use X resources for rxvt (though I've named the file ~/.Xdefaults
not ~/.Xresources). However my shortcut is a little fancier. First,
assuming that Cygwin's bin directory (e.g. C:\Cygwin\bin) is already in
the Windows System Environment Variable PATH (which it pretty much needs
to be, especially if your running inetd, et. al.) and assuming that your
Windows System32 path is also in your Windows System Environment Varible
PATH (which is always is) then my shortcut becomes:

cmd /c start /b rxvt -e bash --login -i

"cmd" is the Windows command processer (command on 98 and below). The
"/c" says run one command. That command is start. The /b tells start to
start the following command and not to create a window for it. Then
there's rxvt (found in C:\Cygwin\bin) with -e to run bash (also found in
C:\Cygwin\bin) with it's normal --login and -i parameters.

This still gives a flashing cmd window so I just change the shortcut to
start minimized.

* Re: Updated: texinfo 4.1
@ 2002-03-20 14:52 Oliver Nittka
From: Oliver Nittka @ 2002-03-20 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)