* Re: DoD Security Clearance for cygwin?
@ 2002-08-21 10:26 Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG
From: Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG @ 2002-08-21 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Cygwin is not used (at least in this office and lab) in an environment in
which its security
(or lack thereof) is an issue.

Thats about all I can say and be secure.

Your warning was well taken, completely honest, and sincerly appreciated!

Wayne Keen

* Re: DoD Security Clearance for cygwin? (OT)
@ 2002-08-22  4:34 ` Graeme Merrall
From: Graeme Merrall @ 2002-08-22  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 11:06:14AM -0500, Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG wrote:
> Cygwin is not used (at least in this office and lab) in an environment in
> which its security
> (or lack thereof) is an issue.
>
> Thats about all I can say and be secure.

As a non-US, non-military exposed individual I love this security stuff.
I recall a post on another mailing list in which the author had to
include a classified status to all his mails. They all started:
CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

So which one of you guys has got the Roswell bits in his office? :)
Just some Aussie humour there...

Cheers,
 Graeme

* Re: DoD Security Clearance for cygwin? (OT)
@ 2002-08-22 13:14   ` Shankar Unni
From: Shankar Unni @ 2002-08-22 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Graeme Merrall wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 11:06:14AM -0500, Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG wrote:
>
>>Cygwin is not used (at least in this office and lab) in an environment in
>>which its security (or lack thereof) is an issue.
>>
>>Thats about all I can say and be secure.

> As a non-US, non-military exposed individual I love this security stuff.

As an aside to an OT aside, the question is important. If you have a
host OS that has, say, a B1 certification (which I doubt Windows has,
even disconnected from the Net :-), you don't want to run a system or
application on it that could theoretically allow you to bypass those
access checks (say, due to a bug in the authentication and authorization
code).

I wonder if anyone is sufficiently motivated to perform such a thorough
security review of the entire Cygwin platform.
--
Shankar.

* Re: DoD Security Clearance for cygwin?
@ 2002-08-22 22:26 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-08-22 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 11:06:14AM -0500, Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG wrote:
>Cygwin is not used (at least in this office and lab) in an environment
>in which its security (or lack thereof) is an issue.
>
>Thats about all I can say and be secure.
>
>Your warning was well taken, completely honest, and sincerly
>appreciated!

Thank you!  It is gratifying to see that you understood my intent.

cgf

* Re: DoD Security Clearance for cygwin? (OT)
@ 2002-08-22 23:34     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-08-22 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 11:06:29AM -0700, Shankar Unni wrote:
>I wonder if anyone is sufficiently motivated to perform such a thorough
>security review of the entire Cygwin platform.

Shudder.

cgf

* RE: DoD Security Clearance for cygwin?
@ 2002-08-21 10:07 Carter Dennis L Civ AFRL/VAAA
From: Carter Dennis L Civ AFRL/VAAA @ 2002-08-21 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Absolutely, Positively Clear.

We are not in a secure environment, that is not running classified.  But we do run proprietary for several contractors as well as for government only.

If Cygwin is not secure enough for that, I will have to notify some other agencies (non-DoD) that they might want to reconsider its use.

Thanks for your help.

- Dennis

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-08-21  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Dennis.Carter

@ 2002-08-21  7:10 Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG
From: Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG @ 2002-08-21  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Nicholas Wourms'; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I replied directly to Dennis. I know Cygwin showed up on an
"approved" list of open source tools that was circulated here
about a year ago.  What was involved in the approval process
I have little insight into.

In a bit of irony / humor, I remember Cygwin being on the
list, but GNAT was not.  Humor of a formerly DOD mandated language
not appearing on the list aside, the additional layer of
humor was that apparently noone had asked for it.

Sorry, my child go me up early crouping, and I have a weird
sense of humor anyway.

Wayne

From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-08-21  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carter Dennis L Civ AFRL/VAAA, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'
  Cc: Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG

       [not found] <0122CEB9EA43D511B46B00508BE3BDD2037DFCD6@fszhtv13.wpafb.af .mil>
@ 2002-08-21  7:06 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-08-21  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carter Dennis L Civ AFRL/VAAA, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

At 07:52 AM 8/21/2002, Carter Dennis L Civ AFRL/VAAA wrote:
>While I have heard good reviews on the capabilities of Cygwin, my security people are requiring an extensive analysis of the code before permitting it to be used on our machines.

Good to hear the "press" likes Cygwin. ;-)

>Has any DoD center already completed this security review so we don't have to reaccomplish it?

If they have, we haven't heard about it.  Still, I expect the review would
be pointless.  Cygwin is not a secure multi-user environment locally.  It
can be used as a secure environment remotely via SSH.

* DoD Security Clearance for Cygwin?
@ 2002-08-21  6:27 Carter Dennis L Civ AFRL/VAAA
From: Carter Dennis L Civ AFRL/VAAA @ 2002-08-21  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'