* RE: binutils (cvs) problems
@ 2002-08-26 18:03 Danny Smith
From: Danny Smith @ 2002-08-26 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> A)Is there a specific binutils branch I should be using rather than
HEAD?

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-08/msg00203.html

Easy as pie.

Danny

http://digital.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Digital How To
- Get the best out of your PC!

* RE: binutils (cvs) problems
@ 2002-08-27  4:05 ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-08-27  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--- Danny Smith <danny_r_smith_2001@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
> > A)Is there a specific binutils branch I should be using rather
> than
> HEAD?
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-08/msg00203.html

Hmm, it wasn't so easy for me to connect the dots, seeing as how the
mentioned issue's symptoms were occuring during runtime, not during
the link stage.  Oh well, thanks for the pointer, I'll give it a try
and see what happens.  Kinda funny someone from Microsoft was the one
who discovered it =).  I guess the proper answer is to revert the
offending code.

Cheers,
Nicholas

* gethostbyaddr() doesn't work for localhost under W32/9x
@ 2002-08-27  8:19   ` Ronald Landheer
From: Ronald Landheer @ 2002-08-27  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello all,

  I have a small question: gethostbyaddr() doesn't work for localhost
under W32/9x: the error set in errno is "operation not permitted".
I've attached the smallest testcase I can think of. What I'd like to
know is why this doesn't work, while gethostbyname() on localhost works
like a charm? Is this a bug in my brain, in W32/9x or in Cygwin
(probably the second, possibly the first)

Ronald

NB: Work won't allow to spend time on Cygwin - so I won't be able to
    fix anything as I won't be able to get the release form signed.
    Should be possible in three months though: work won't exist anymore
    :)

[-- Attachment #2: Makefile --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 99 bytes --]

all : test

test : test.cc
	gcc -Wall -Werror -g -o test test.cc

clean :
	rm -f *.exe *.o *~ test

[-- Attachment #3: test.cc --]
[-- Type: text/x-c, Size: 311 bytes --]

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <netdb.h>
#include <arpa/inet.h>

int main(void) {
	unsigned long int i_IP;
	struct hostent *host_info;

	i_IP = inet_addr("127.0.0.1");
	host_info = gethostbyaddr((char *)&i_IP, sizeof(i_IP), AF_INET);
	if (host_info == NULL) perror("Failed!");
} // main()

* RE: binutils (cvs) problems
@ 2002-08-27  8:28 ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-08-27  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Smith, cygwin

--- Danny Smith <danny_r_smith_2001@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
> > A)Is there a specific binutils branch I should be using rather
> than
> HEAD?
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-08/msg00203.html
>
> Easy as pie.

Unfortunately, the problem mentioned wasn't wasn't related to what I
was experiencing after all.  I tried the solution, but unfortunately
ld is still not able to find libuser32.a by default.  Any other
ideas?  Meanwhile, I'll try poking around the source but, as I said
before, I've never worked with binutils internally.

Cheers,
Nicholas

* Re: gethostbyaddr() doesn't work for localhost under W32/9x
@ 2002-08-28  4:42     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-08-28  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 05:15:24PM +0200, Ronald Landheer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>   I have a small question: gethostbyaddr() doesn't work for localhost
> under W32/9x: the error set in errno is "operation not permitted".
> I've attached the smallest testcase I can think of. What I'd like to
> know is why this doesn't work, while gethostbyname() on localhost works
> like a charm? Is this a bug in my brain, in W32/9x or in Cygwin
> (probably the second, possibly the first)

Works here, 98 and XP.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* RE: gethostbyaddr() doesn't work for localhost under W32/9x
@ 2002-09-01 23:01       ` Ronald Landheer
From: Ronald Landheer @ 2002-09-01 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello Corinna,

Just to make sure: I have the latest download of Cygwin (all packages)
on a W32/98SE system, all patches M$ applied. I systematically get a
"permission denied" when I run the testcase.
I may have bugs in my brain, but I'm not imagining things (I think).
What could cause this?

Ronald

@ 2002-09-02  3:05         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-09-02  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 07:57:10AM +0200, Ronald Landheer wrote:
> Hello Corinna,
>
> Just to make sure: I have the latest download of Cygwin (all packages)
> on a W32/98SE system, all patches M$ applied. I systematically get a
> "permission denied" when I run the testcase.
> I may have bugs in my brain, but I'm not imagining things (I think).
> What could cause this?

gethostbyaddr isn't a special Cygwin implementation but just a wrapper
for the original WinSock implementation.  If you don't get a name for
127.0.0.1 it's a problem in your Windows configuration.  Check your DNS
or fix your ${windir}/HOSTS file.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* binutils (cvs) problems
@ 2002-08-26 13:42 Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-08-26 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Let me start by saying that "yes, I do have the w32api package
installed and it has been verified".  In fact, I have every package
installed except the japanese and apache stuff.  I am using the
gcc-3.2 packages just realeased by Chris.

For about the last month and a half, I have been frustrated with an
issue regarding binutils compiled from cvs sources.  Every single
time I've built the sources, a bad ld is produced.  What happens is
when gcc is linking a source file using the new ld, it dies with this
error:

[Snip]/i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: cannot find -luser32

Immediately reverting to the current version of binutils available
via setup.exe resolves this issue.  I then thought I was doing some
post install step wrong, so I looked at mknetrelease.  The only thing
different was that it replaces the binaries in
/usr/i686-pc-cygwin/bin with symlinks pointing to the binaries in
/usr/bin.  I went ahead and rebuilt binutils and did the
aforementioned step after installing them.  Still, I get the same
error as before.  I would like to try a newer version to see if it
will allow me to link Qt without running out of memory first.  So,
after searching the archives and what not, I am no more closer to a
solution than I was before.  Here are two questions that I am
investigating:

A)Is there a specific binutils branch I should be using rather than
HEAD?

B)Is there some sort of macro I'm supposed to pass to configure when
building of ld which allows the ld binary to automatically link to
libuser32 when used?  (I thought the search path stuff was done by
the gcc spec file?)

Back in June, the binutils cvs sources were building just fine and ld
worked as it should.  I'm not sure if this is pilot error or not, but
any insight regarding this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in
advance!

Cheers,
Nicholas