* SmartList and exim
@ 2002-08-25  3:22 Greg Matheson
From: Greg Matheson @ 2002-08-25  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I got SmartList to work with exim, but I couldn't get it to build
with root privileges over procmail. The problems with
Administrator, understanding setuid, geteuid, and the install
scripts were too much for me.

I have exim piping the mail through a .forward file to a second
procmail binary owned by the user running SmartList. Getting the
exim permissions right has been difficult but it is satisfying to
have a real MTA on cygwin. I'm surprised there hasn't been more
reaction to the getting of exim up on cygwin.

I wonder if a more modern list software like Mailman might just
drop in here, instead of the fiddling with shell scripts this has
involved.

SmartList is OK, however, so I probably won't pursue that.

Unless the whole lot collapses on me again ;-)

--
Greg Matheson                    Teaching: brain surgery
Chinmin College                  with a blunt instrument

Taiwan Penpals Archive <URL: http://netcity.hinet.net/kurage >

* Re: SmartList and exim
@ 2002-08-26  4:18 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-08-26  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Greg,

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 06:23:37PM +0800, Greg Matheson wrote:
> I got SmartList to work with exim, but I couldn't get it to build
> with root privileges over procmail. The problems with
> Administrator, understanding setuid, geteuid, and the install
> scripts were too much for me.

I don't grok the above -- please try again.  BTW, to setuid it is best
to run under the LocalSystem account.

> I'm surprised there hasn't been more reaction to the getting of exim
> up on cygwin.

Have you seen the following thread?

    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-08/msg00195.html

Jason

* Re: SmartList and exim
@ 2002-08-26  6:45   ` Greg Matheson
From: Greg Matheson @ 2002-08-26  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Jason Tishler wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 06:23:37PM +0800, Greg Matheson wrote:
> > I couldn't get [Smartlist] to build with root privileges over
> > procmail. The problems with Administrator, understanding
> > setuid, geteuid, and the install scripts were too much for
> > me.

> I don't grok the above -- please try again.  BTW, to setuid it is best
> to run under the LocalSystem account.

Running the install script for Smartlist from an unprivileged
account builds executables which don't setuid root, I think. The
problem of understanding what the scripts were doing were among
things which prevented me from getting it to build from the
Administrator account.

There is only one important C program in the package, multigram.c. The
rest is shell scripts and procmail rc files.

Smartlist is only at version 3.15, but procmail is 3.22. You have
to take multigram, hsort.c and gethome.c from procmail-3.15 and
stick them in procmail-3.22/src.

> Have you seen the following thread?

>     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-08/msg00195.html

Oh. I vote for getting out a bare-bones version quickly, which
does little more than what ssmtp and fetchmail can do now and
taking it from there. Things like perl, SQL and ssl can be added
later.

Philip Hazel mentions cygwin on the first page of the exim
manual, although there is no information about setting exim up on
cygwin in the manual itself. He appears more interested in
getting it going on systems running Windows than Philip Guenther
is in procmail's fate on Windows.

--
Greg Matheson                    Rather than do things right,
Chinmin College                  Do the right thing.

@ 2002-08-27  4:37     ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-08-27  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Greg,

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 09:47:04PM +0800, Greg Matheson wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Jason Tishler wrote:
> Running the install script for Smartlist from an unprivileged
> account builds executables which don't setuid root, I think.

Don't worry about setuid files -- Cygwin does not support them.  If you
can get Smartlist to build, then try running it (as a service) under the
LocalSystem account which *can* setuid.

> The problem of understanding what the scripts were doing were among
> things which prevented me from getting it to build from the
> Administrator account.

Huh?  Does Smartlist build cleanly?

> There is only one important C program in the package, multigram.c. The
> rest is shell scripts and procmail rc files.
>
> Smartlist is only at version 3.15, but procmail is 3.22. You have to
> take multigram, hsort.c and gethome.c from procmail-3.15 and stick
> them in procmail-3.22/src.

I seem to be repeating myself -- Does Smartlist build against procmail
3.22?  If not, then you can try back porting my patches against 3.15,
but you are on your own.  I will only support procmail 3.22.

Jason

* Re: SmartList and exim
@ 2002-08-27 19:53       ` Greg Matheson
From: Greg Matheson @ 2002-08-27 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Jason Tishler wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 09:47:04PM +0800, Greg Matheson wrote:

> > Running the install script for Smartlist from an unprivileged
> > account builds executables which don't setuid root, I think.

> Don't worry about setuid files -- Cygwin does not support them.  If you
> can get Smartlist to build, then try running it (as a service) under the
> LocalSystem account which *can* setuid.

> > The problem of understanding what the scripts were doing were among
> > things which prevented me from getting it to build from the
> > Administrator account.

> Huh?

I was changing things in procmail-3.22-7/SmartList/install.sh and
install.sh3 and seeing what happened. That is, intervention
without understanding.

> Does Smartlist build cleanly?

It depends on what you mean by cleanly. To get it to build (with no root privileges) involved the problem of .exe on executables and hardwiring in directory names and the like that the shell script couldn't get right.

> > There is only one important C program in the package, multigram.c. The
> > rest is shell scripts and procmail rc files.

> > Smartlist is only at version 3.15, but procmail is 3.22. You have to
> > take multigram, hsort.c and gethome.c from procmail-3.15 and stick
> > them in procmail-3.22/src.

> I seem to be repeating myself -- Does Smartlist build against procmail
> 3.22?  If not, then you can try back porting my patches against 3.15,
> but you are on your own.  I will only support procmail 3.22.

It is/was working, sending out copies of submissions and
un/subscribing people from the list. So it does build against
your patched 3.22.

However, I had to build my own procmail executable from your
source code. And the C program parts of SmartList don't exist in
SmartList-3.15 or procmail-3.22. You have to look for them in
procmail-3.15.

--
Greg Matheson                    Rather than doing the right thing,
Chinmin College                  Doing things right.

Taiwan Penpals Archive <URL: http://netcity.hinet.net/kurage >