* cygwin login and passwords
@ 2002-09-11  0:44 Joseph I. Davida
From: Joseph I. Davida @ 2002-09-11  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Is changing uid's and gid's in /etc/passwd something
to be avoided,  since I assume these are windows assigned?

Need su and login to work seemlessly with windows'
passwords in order to allow remote logins and ssh
clients. Currently, login does not recognize valid
windows passwords.

Also, If I create a windows user called
root, is there a way to make windows give it uid 0
or even change windows' password file (whereever that is)
to assign root uid 0?

Cheers,

Joe

* Re: cygwin login and passwords
@ 2002-09-11  1:45 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-09-11  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-RELEASE1.1

> Need su and login to work seemlessly with windows'
> passwords in order to allow remote logins and ssh
> clients. Currently, login does not recognize valid
> windows passwords.

It does but it doesn't work on the command line due to the NT security
model.

> Also, If I create a windows user called
> root, is there a way to make windows give it uid 0
> or even change windows' password file (whereever that is)
> to assign root uid 0?

Windows don't have uid's but SIDs.  I strongly recommend reading
some documentation about NT security.

The URL http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html just gives some
basic information needed to understand Cygwin's ntsec.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* RE: cygwin login and passwords
@ 2002-09-11  2:53 ` Chris January
From: Chris January @ 2002-09-11  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Is changing uid's and gid's in /etc/passwd something
> to be avoided,  since I assume these are windows assigned?
>
> Need su and login to work seemlessly with windows'
> passwords in order to allow remote logins and ssh
> clients. Currently, login does not recognize valid
> windows passwords.
I have a version of su that runs on Cygwin. However I need someone to
tell me how to coerce bash into running interactively (currently needs
to be forced via -i flag). I'm starting bash using CreateProcess.

Chris

* Re: cygwin login and passwords
@ 2002-09-11  3:45   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-09-11  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 10:30:19AM +0100, Chris January wrote:
> > Is changing uid's and gid's in /etc/passwd something
> > to be avoided,  since I assume these are windows assigned?
> >
> > Need su and login to work seemlessly with windows'
> > passwords in order to allow remote logins and ssh
> > clients. Currently, login does not recognize valid
> > windows passwords.
> I have a version of su that runs on Cygwin. However I need someone to

How are you doing that?  If you're doing that by giving create
token privileges or something like that to your account, that's
not a vaild approach.

If su is using a service under SYSTEM account, that's ok.  But then
it's not needed at all since one can just use `ssh localhost' and a
running sshd to get the same.

> tell me how to coerce bash into running interactively (currently needs
> to be forced via -i flag). I'm starting bash using CreateProcess.

Login shells get their name preceeded by a dash in argv[0] from their
parent:

 -sh
 -bash

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* cygwin login and passwords
@ 2002-09-11  4:31 Chris January
From: Chris January @ 2002-09-11  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > > I have a version of su that runs on Cygwin. However I need someone
> >
> > How are you doing that?  If you're doing that by giving create
> > token privileges or something like that to your account, that's
> > not a vaild approach.
I'm using LogonUser. On Windows XP, no extra privileges are needed to
use
that function. I know this isn't true on older versions of Windows, but
this is mainly for my own use anyway.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q180548& has
some details of how to do the logon on older versions of Windows. This
is just one way - I'm sure there are others. I might give it a go if
anyone is interested.

> > If su is using a service under SYSTEM account, that's ok.  But then
> > it's not needed at all since one can just use `ssh localhost' and a
> > running sshd to get the same.
> >
> > > tell me how to coerce bash into running interactively (currently
needs
> > > to be forced via -i flag). I'm starting bash using CreateProcess.
> >
> > Login shells get their name preceeded by a dash in argv[0] from
their
> > parent:
> >
> >  -sh
> >  -bash